Dogs Chasing Bikes And Cars In Maenam, Soi 2.

Solution - there isn't one especially if they have owners. 17 years riding motor bikes here never had a bite, cant figure out why they attack some people and not others, but seems to work that way.

Edited by marstons
  • Like 1

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Dog bites do hurt but not to a point of being unbearable.

The shoulder injections from unqualified medical officers hurt by far much worse, especially if they shove it in deep enough to hit the bone using the wrong needle smile.png

There are some silly comments on this thread - but this one has to be a classic. How does one measure 'unbearable'?

A dog bit my finger off here on Samui - that was pretty unbearable. What was more unbearable was having to fly up to Bangkok to get it sown on again.

The most unbearable part - was being stuck in a hospital in Bangkok for three weeks recovering from the surgery .

ALL caused by a dog bite.

I have ridden bikes on the island for 13 years. Two accidents. Both times - soi dogs have committed suicide under the front wheel of my bike and I have needed hospital treatment. NOT on main roads. Soi dogs are a major hazzard that 'do gooders' mistakenly encourage.

Sorry lemoncake - but you are not being logical.

"I can never understand people who claim to be compassionate and yet have no problem advocating violence against another species, being inferior or not.

A kind person, is a kind person and it makes no difference if it comes to humans or animals"

I can assure you that I am a kind person. I even go to the defence of dumb animals (and dumb people) at times.

However, I am intelligent enough to recognise that sometimes, a dumb animal looses the plot and is acting on instinct. That instinct is telling the animal to attack and rip the throat out of anything that wanders into 'its" territory.

Well - one of the roads where I live is NOT that particular animal's territory. It is known as common thoroughfare.

When that dumb animal attacks me with it's 40 - 50 kilos of aggression, I am not going to try and react as a kind person. Trust me when I say that the dumb animal is incapable of listening to reason. I can promise you that I will use all of my skills to kick the <deleted> out of it until it backs down. No dumb animal is going to stop me from getting home.

Get real folks. When you are travelling along the road and even 20 kilos of manic soi dog attack you, compassion is not an instintive reaction. Survival is.

Oh, and by the way for the earlier poster asking about people falling off bikes from being attacked by dogs - I have seen it a few times. Not funny for the poor kid on his mum's bike - but I suppose that you 'dog lovers' will say that it is the mum's fault - the kid should not have been there.

Sadly - non of this is the dog' fault - it is the fault of owners. (or even worse, the part time owners that support soi dogs!)

Well if you think dog biting a finger is painful, I prey you never have an accident or a surgery.

But I guess some will cry from a Misquito bite or a needle prick

As for kid falling off his moms bike - he should not have been on it in the first place.

Speaking of silly comments .

40-50kg dogs??? Did not realize under nourished street dogs were overweight by double if not triple of what it is.

Keep up the "smart" comments

Edited by lemoncake

Erm...no. Friend was chased by a dog on the Ring road just a couple of nights ago. It won't do it again.

Never let a dog think he is the boss of you. But I can understand for many it is difficult to hide their fear.

May be i missed something, but dogs chase cars and bikes and its vicious?blink.png

Did dogs bite anyone? Not according to your post.

So you are scared? and hence dogs became vicious?

If there was a group of drunk guys, would they also be rapists?

Or if they yelled a few words in your direction, would they then be hardcore criminals?

Great postsmile.png

Tell me, do you know anyone that has had a bad accident because they were taken out by an agressive street dog that charged out at them? Obviously not.

Actually i do not, and have never seen it.

I have though seen pups being run over just for fun, i have seen idiots speeding in small sois, i have seen idiots drive fast on sois which bent, i have seen idiots overtake others on the sharp corners, i have seen cars push bikes of the roads and so on.

Dogs do not chase cars or bikes on the main roads, ONLY in small soi's.

In a small soi, anyone with half a brain, should ride slowly being aware that not only dogs could be around, but also kids running around, not to mention an idiot in a pick up flying through.

Dogs do not usually charge at the bike head on, they come out from the side and run besides the bike, so while it may be a shock, but sure is not un expected in Thailand.

I get chased by the dogs daily on every soi when i take my dogs out. I know which sois and always drive carefully being aware they may jump out from any side.

In OP's case, who lives on that soi, there is absolutely no reason to freak out or be surprised, but a simple paying attention will avoid having any accident.

yes dogs are dogs and just because they chase does not mean they shall bite. though dogs that belong to owners should have them locked up not only to protect the public but to protectt the dogs.

It is not the dogs fault if it barks and chases people. if they have not biten anyone then there is no cause for consirn. maybe a lesson on how to deal with dogs might help.

i run past dogs on a daily bases.

i know they are going to chase to i front them and walk slowely past them whilst bowing my head and not making eye contact. if they still come fro me i go for them and have stones in my hand ready for a last resort.

forunately as dogs have been hit allot with stones the very action is enough to warn them off.

once they back off and the dog feels like it has not lost face i carry on running.

if a dog attackes you then you must attack it. dogs like to attack from side on as mentioned above. i have had my dogs threaten to be shot ust because they were barking at someone. so i told them they can shoot my dog but the cost of shooting it would be that mans own life.

he went away

• Like 1

Solution - there isn't one especially if they have owners. 17 years riding motor bikes here never had a bite, cant figure out why they attack some people and not others, but seems to work that way.

Most likely because you, i and a many others, do not walk or ride around with sticks or scream like little girls just at the sight of a dog.

Also possibly because dogs have excellent senses and know exactly who is going to hurt them and who is not.

As i said, i get chased daily, at times by packs because i am riding with my dogs, but not even once i was bitten, whats more if i stop, they stop to chase and some even come up for a pet.

• Like 1

Erm...no. Friend was chased by a dog on the Ring road just a couple of nights ago. It won't do it again.

Never let a dog think he is the boss of you. But I can understand for many it is difficult to hide their fear.

May be i missed something, but dogs chase cars and bikes and its vicious?blink.png

Did dogs bite anyone? Not according to your post.

So you are scared? and hence dogs became vicious?

If there was a group of drunk guys, would they also be rapists?

Or if they yelled a few words in your direction, would they then be hardcore criminals?

Great post:)

Tell me, do you know anyone that has had a bad accident because they were taken out by an agressive street dog that charged out at them? Obviously not.

Actually i do not, and have never seen it.

I have though seen pups being run over just for fun, i have seen idiots speeding in small sois, i have seen idiots drive fast on sois which bent, i have seen idiots overtake others on the sharp corners, i have seen cars push bikes of the roads and so on.

Dogs do not chase cars or bikes on the main roads, ONLY in small soi's.

In a small soi, anyone with half a brain, should ride slowly being aware that not only dogs could be around, but also kids running around, not to mention an idiot in a pick up flying through.

Dogs do not usually charge at the bike head on, they come out from the side and run besides the bike, so while it may be a shock, but sure is not un expected in Thailand.

I get chased by the dogs daily on every soi when i take my dogs out. I know which sois and always drive carefully being aware they may jump out from any side.

In OP's case, who lives on that soi, there is absolutely no reason to freak out or be surprised, but a simple paying attention will avoid having any accident.

You just proved my point. Main roads, they get hit and killed.

The fear of what might be- could be- would be is useless but does create unwanted problems.

The shoulder injections from unqualified medical officers hurt by far much worse, especially if they shove it in deep enough to hit the bone using the wrong needle smile.png

What are you talking about?? Proved your point?? The dog left it's comfortable place on the grass and started chasing my friend's motorbike, teeth bared and setting off dogs in the surrounding area. Less than two seconds later it was running away as fast as it could, tail between it's legs. Your theory about the small sois simply does not hold.

They wish to assert their authority. I simply nullify their attempt.

Well if you think dog biting a finger is painful, I prey you never have an accident or a surgery.

But I guess some will cry from a Misquito bite or a needle prick

As for kid falling off his moms bike - he should not have been on it in the first place.

Speaking of silly comments .

40-50kg dogs??? Did not realize under nourished street dogs were overweight by double if not triple of what it is.

Keep up the "smart" comments

If you had actually read and comprehended my post - I did have surgery. It was to reattach my finger. sad.png

Why should the kid not be a passenger on his mum's bike? She lost control and they both fell off. The kid came off worse. You make too many assumptions.

By the way - you need to get out more. Not all soi dogs are undernourished. The two that committed suicide under my mbike wheels were both big buggggers and this was NOT on a main road. It was on a small private soi.

Forget your offtopic.gif comments about mosquito bites and pin pricks (this thread is about dogs!) if you bother to read this article

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/news/4875495/Joggers-testicle-is-gnawed-off-by-snarling-dog-on-morning-run.html

it reads "sunk its teeth into Joel’s groin. As he lay writhing in agony on the ground,"

As a male - I think that this could be called unbearable??? sick.gif

I am sure that you will try and prove me wrong. wai.gif
Just keep on digging those holes. thumbsup.gif
  • Like 1

What are you talking about?? Proved your point?? The dog left it's comfortable place on the grass and started chasing my friend's motorbike, teeth bared and setting off dogs in the surrounding area. Less than two seconds later it was running away as fast as it could, tail between it's legs. Your theory about the small sois simply does not hold.

They wish to assert their authority. I simply nullify their attempt.

I am talking about dogs NOT chasing on the main roads, because they get killed.

It is not a theory but an observation and a common sense reallyrolleyes.gif

got a feeling that lemoncake is not on Samui & has no idea of Samui, because the majority of dogs here are not Soi dogs. Most dogs here are beach dogs and palm forest paths dogs and then Soi dogs. And I have the impression, that beach dogs and palm forest paths dogs and the waterfall dogs are much more apollonian than the ring road dogs and the Soi dogs. No wonder.....

• Like 1

too be honest if i am driving down the road and a dog walks out rarther than try to avoid it is i shall run it over. not because i am mean thugh sme might think but i have seen so many people with y own eyes get killed, or get injjured whilst avoiding a dog in the road.

when it cmes down to it i value my own life over a dogs but then back in circles if the owers did not let them play in a busy roas, small soi or any public aresa where there a vehicles then this situation wuld not happen

• Like 1

too be honest if i am driving down the road and a dog walks out rarther than try to avoid it is i shall run it over. not because i am mean thugh sme might think but i have seen so many people with y own eyes get killed, or get injjured whilst avoiding a dog in the road.

when it cmes down to it i value my own life over a dogs but then back in circles if the owers did not let them play in a busy roas, small soi or any public aresa where there a vehicles then this situation wuld not happen

Actually if you run over a dog without trying to avoid you are a mean b*stard. sorryw00t.gif

Until the government own the problem it will continue to be a source of posts in forums except Isaan, strangely enough don't seem to see many stray dogs here.

Neutering of street dogs and penalizing irresponsible owners would over time go along way to solving the problem, but that's a pipe dream.

Where ever we choose to live whether here or else where there will always be a problem that's prevents it being an ideal world, for some its dogs in Thailand.

Just watch out for the buggers with Rabies

Actually if you run over a dog without trying to avoid you are a mean b*stard. sorryw00t.gif

Maybe you could try a course in reading comprehension.

The point was made that it is much better to run over the dog than the risk of injury or death in trying to avoid it. The obvious reason is that such avoidance usually involves a quick, dangerous evasive maneuver -- such as swerving in front of a truck to avoid the dog.

I'd say you are the mean b*stard -- for advocating dangerous avoidance maneuvers which put the driver at risk just to save a dog that has no business being in the street to begin with.

• Like 2

Gotta love topics like this one, for the simple reason that it's a honey-pot to all the cowardly dregs of society looking for an outlet to spew out their unbearable self-hate. I mean, what better way to find and add time-wasting lowlifes to your spam/post filter?

On the other hand, reading the few courageous posts sprinkled with common sense and compassion, restores my faith in the future of humanity. Lemoncake and others, I bow to you, good Sirs.

• Like 1

Gotta love topics like this one, for the simple reason that it's a honey-pot to all the cowardly dregs of society looking for an outlet to spew out their unbearable self-hate. I mean, what better way to find and add time-wasting lowlifes to your spam/post filter?

On the other hand, reading the few courageous posts sprinkled with common sense and compassion, restores my faith in the future of humanity. Lemoncake and others, I bow to you, good Sirs.

Get a grip. This thread isn't about hatred its about how to stop dogs attacking people riding scooters!! I don't want to see a dog hurt and would like to know any means possible to stop this happening because i'd like it even less seeing a child with serious head injuries because he/she was attacked by a street dog.

terms like courageous are more suited to human being that defied the perpetrators of the nazi holocaust, the Stalinist purges or fought for our freedom in the trenches of france, not someone lobbing a half eaten chicken drumstick to feed a dog.

Try to put it back into context and perhaps offer a way, that in your view would discourage a dog without hurting it.

Edited by carmine
  • Like 1

Get a grip. This thread isn't about hatred its about how to stop dogs attacking people riding scooters!! I don't want to see a dog hurt and would like to know any means possible to stop this happening because i'd like it even less seeing a child with serious head injuries because he/she was attacked by a street dog.

terms like courageous are more suited to human being that defied the perpetrators of the nazi holocaust, the Stalinist purges or fought for our freedom in the trenches of france, not someone lobbing a half eaten chicken drumstick to feed a dog.

Try to put it back into context and perhaps offer a way, that in your view would discourage a dog without hurting it.

I offered the solution at the start of this topic. A solution that is proven to work and doesn't harm you or the dog. But it does require courage.

I'm praising the courage to stand up to the hysterical dog-hating mob mentality - you know, the kind of sheep-like thinking that believes courage is only a human trait and all other life is not worth crap. And I don't know how your Nazi holocaust and half-eaten chicken drumsticks analogy came to form in the same sentence in your mind, but the "get a grip" advice is something you'd do well to follow.

Maybe you could try a course in reading comprehension.

The point was made that it is much better to run over the dog than the risk of injury or death in trying to avoid it. The obvious reason is that such avoidance usually involves a quick, dangerous evasive maneuver -- such as swerving in front of a truck to avoid the dog.

I'd say you are the mean b*stard -- for advocating dangerous avoidance maneuvers which put the driver at risk just to save a dog that has no business being in the street to begin with.

well said i see someone in the highway move to avoid a dog at high speeed and well his car flew off the road and into the jungle he was lucky only a feild on the side and not trees. Also seen someone killed whilst trying to avoid a dog on a motorbike and hit a fence

I'm praising the courage to stand up to the hysterical dog-hating mob mentality - you know, the kind of sheep-like thinking that believes courage is only a human trait and all other life is not worth crap. And I don't know how your Nazi holocaust and half-eaten chicken drumsticks analogy came to form in the same sentence in your mind, but the "get a grip" advice is something you'd do well to follow.

Please forgive me Jose but i can't take you seriously enough to discuss this with you.

Have a lovely weekend

• Like 2

The recommended driving instruction in the UK for when a dog runs into the road - do not brake sharply, do not swerve to avoid it.

The reason is - it is more dangerous for you and others if you take these actions.

Sorry (and I am a dog lover) better to kill a dog than a child or yourself.

This instruction used to be given out by the police.

BAck to the OP. Try having a tin with some stones in it. When the dogs attack - shake the tin making a loud noise.

(Personally, I stop the bike and shout in a loud voice at the dogs - NO!)

Edited by Tropicalevo
  • Like 2

The recommended driving instruction in the UK for when a dog runs into the road - do not brake sharply, do not swerve to avoid it.

The reason is - it is more dangerous for you and others if you take these actions.

It goes even further than this. The keeping / ownership of other species for entertainment is reprehensible especially keeping birds in a cage which you see all over the place. Most dog owners and to be honest quite likely all owners feel uncomfortable with this line of argument so resort to 'for security reasons' making it a working dog in much the same way as some people hire bodyguards to take a bullet etc. You can't 'employ' a dog to take a bullet for you whilst demanding others take a bullet for their own dog or your dog.

In direct relation to the quote.... It is irresponsible to offer advise to another member on how to put themself in potential danger so I fully agree with you.

• Like 2

It goes even further than this. The keeping / ownership of other species for entertainment is reprehensible especially keeping birds in a cage which you see all over the place. Most dog owners and to be honest quite likely all owners feel uncomfortable with this line of argument so resort to 'for security reasons' making it a working dog in much the same way as some people hire bodyguards to take a bullet etc. You can't 'employ' a dog to take a bullet for you whilst demanding others take a bullet for their own dog or your dog.

In direct relation to the quote.... It is irresponsible to offer advise to another member on how to put themself in potential danger so I fully agree with you.

there are also laws in England where if the dog attacks someone then the owner can be held responsable. Specially if the dogs are alloud to run freely on government roads.

This is one law i agree with from back home. If my child was walking down the road and had its face mulled off my a dog whilst the owner was in his house chopping wood or gazing at the sky then i would be very very agnry with the owner.

I know this is thailand and we are not at home but i think if i had a dog and let it run whild and iot bit a Thai kid to death or scared hi for life then i ight be stuck up for a very big expense. I think there are actually laws out here and one can be arrested for a dog bite. i suppose it is a case of knowing your rights, the right people and finding the owner !

I know this is thailand and we are not at home but i think if i had a dog and let it run whild and iot bit a Thai kid to death or scared hi for life then i ight be stuck up for a very big expense. I think there are actually laws out here and one can be arrested for a dog bite. i suppose it is a case of knowing your rights, the right people and finding the owner !

A member posted the link to the law on some thread or another some time back (It could have been one of the many regarding the German chap who done a Lizzi Borden on some fella's dog). To a large extent, knowing your rights in Thailand means so little as to be worthless. It is not what you know but who you know is at the epicenter in LoS and the only effort put in by the government / BiB is to keep it that way.

If I am in the process of being attacked by a dog or have very good reason to believe that an attack it imminent then I will defend myself. Some people may wish to defend themself also by writing a stern letter to the dog, making the sign of the cross or presenting some Rosery beads. Logic suggests that the three aforementioned methods of self defence would be errr. ineffective so I'll stick with taking a damn good bone crunching swipe at the mutt.

• Like 1

A member posted the link to the law on some thread or another some time back (It could have been one of the many regarding the German chap who done a Lizzi Borden on some fella's dog). To a large extent, knowing your rights in Thailand means so little as to be worthless. It is not what you know but who you know is at the epicenter in LoS and the only effort put in by the government / BiB is to keep it that way.

If I am in the process of being attacked by a dog or have very good reason to believe that an attack it imminent then I will defend myself. Some people may wish to defend themself also by writing a stern letter to the dog, making the sign of the cross or presenting some Rosery beads. Logic suggests that the three aforementioned methods of self defence would be errr. ineffective so I'll stick with taking a damn good bone crunching swipe at the mutt.

With that method be prepared for a lot of bone crunching swipes with a lot of dogs.

Also amusing examples of when things can wrong use a child as an example. Mean while many farangs drive around with children on motor bikes with no head protection, but of course the raging packs of dogs are the child's biggest threat.

Edited by marstons

If people don't stop the car every time they hear/see a dog barking and wail until the dog stops barking, and if people don't go running with a backpack full of sausages and bones for the dogs on their way, that does not mean that they are a hysterical dog-hating mob. Quite the contrary, most are dog impartial plus plus, live and let livers and they appreciate, that there are others who take care of dogs more than them and maybe support them in one way or in an other way.

• Like 1

I know this is thailand and we are not at home but i think if i had a dog and let it run whild and iot bit a Thai kid to death or scared hi for life then i ight be stuck up for a very big expense. I think there are actually laws out here and one can be arrested for a dog bite. i suppose it is a case of knowing your rights, the right people and finding the owner !A member posted the link to the law on some thread or another some time back (It could have been one of the many regarding the German chap who done a Lizzi Borden on some fella's dog). To a large extent, knowing your rights in Thailand means so little as to be worthless. It is not what you know but who you know is at the epicenter in LoS and the only effort put in by the government / BiB is to keep it that way.If I am in the process of being attacked by a dog or have very good reason to believe that an attack it imminent then I will defend myself. Some people may wish to defend themself also by writing a stern letter to the dog, making the sign of the cross or presenting some Rosery beads. Logic suggests that the three aforementioned methods of self defence would be errr. ineffective so I'll stick with taking a damn good bone crunching swipe at the mutt.With that method be prepared for a lot of bone crunching swipes with a lot of dogs.Also amusing examples of when things can wrong use a child as an example. Mean while many farangs drive around with children on motor bikes with no head protection, but of course the raging packs of dogs are the child's biggest threat.

Yes I get annoyed with these people who drive around with babies on their bikes

They get extra angry if you do not give way

Like using a chill as a bulls proof vest

I know this is thailand and we are not at home but i think if i had a dog and let it run whild and iot bit a Thai kid to death or scared hi for life then i ight be stuck up for a very big expense. I think there are actually laws out here and one can be arrested for a dog bite. i suppose it is a case of knowing your rights, the right people and finding the owner !A member posted the link to the law on some thread or another some time back (It could have been one of the many regarding the German chap who done a Lizzi Borden on some fella's dog). To a large extent, knowing your rights in Thailand means so little as to be worthless. It is not what you know but who you know is at the epicenter in LoS and the only effort put in by the government / BiB is to keep it that way.If I am in the process of being attacked by a dog or have very good reason to believe that an attack it imminent then I will defend myself. Some people may wish to defend themself also by writing a stern letter to the dog, making the sign of the cross or presenting some Rosery beads. Logic suggests that the three aforementioned methods of self defence would be errr. ineffective so I'll stick with taking a damn good bone crunching swipe at the mutt.With that method be prepared for a lot of bone crunching swipes with a lot of dogs.Also amusing examples of when things can wrong use a child as an example. Mean while many farangs drive around with children on motor bikes with no head protection, but of course the raging packs of dogs are the child's biggest threat.

"A chill as a bulls proof vest." I need your help on this one mate!!smile.png

"A chill as a bulls proof vest." I need your help on this one mate!!smile.png

(using) a child as a bullet-proof vest?

• Like 1