New Winamp Sucks

cdnvic

I kept getting nags to upgrade for security reasons so finally I did, from 5 to 5.2 and IMO it's a pig. Aside from being very sluggish, its list of shoutcast radio stations (most of them quality broadcasts) has been replaced with subscribable podcasts done mostly by unemployed idiots in their parents' basements.

I think a downgrade is in order.

Nullsoft dudes, if it ain't broke, don't fix it :o

/rant

cv

I kept getting nags to upgrade for security reasons so finally I did, from 5 to 5.2 and IMO it's a pig. Aside from being very sluggish, its list of shoutcast radio stations (most of them quality broadcasts) has been replaced with subscribable podcasts done mostly by unemployed idiots in their parents' basements.

I think a downgrade is in order.

Nullsoft dudes, if it ain't broke, don't fix it :o

/rant

cv

Agreed. I've uninstalled Winamp completely since the upgrade. It must be the ugliest and most awkward piece of software ever written!

Using v5.13. The version history shows the below for this version:

Winamp 5.13

* Fixed [in_mp3] extremely critical security vulnerability

Probably explains why I'm not getting nagged with this version, but will keep what you said about 5.2 in mind - cheers.

I'm still using version 2.66 and guard the zipped up file carefully so I can replace it on another sytem, plays MP3s which is all I'm bothered about, small neat and fairly decent codecs.

Just be thankful you don't have Quicktime as well which has to be the worst piece of junk ever written for the computer. (Mac's revenge on IBMs)