Liverpool F.c.

scousemouse

PETER CROUCH TRANSFER

Liverpool set to enter bidding for striker Crouch?

By Soccernet staff

July 24, 2009

Comment

Email

Print

Liverpool have emerged as shock contenders to take Peter Crouch back to Anfield in a £12m deal.

ShaunBotterill/GettyImages

Crouch joined Liverpool in 2005.

The 6' 7'' striker spurned Sunderland's approaches and has been linked with moves to Tottenham and Fulham; but Anfield boss Rafa Benitez reportedly has the 28-year-old on his radar according to the Daily Star.

Crouch spent three years at the the club before Benitez sold him to Portsmouth in an £11m deal last year, but the Reds are keen to type up a deal for another striker after being outpriced in their efforts to get David Villa.

Portsmouth boss Paul Hart is already resigned to losing him, despite Sulaiman Al Fahim's takeover of the club but told the Portsmouth News that he was unconcerned by the delay over his move.

He said: ''I don't even think about those things, it's not an intrusion. Peter Crouch is a fantastic kid. He has been training with us, what hardship is that? It isn't, it's just brilliant.

''If it goes on, it goes on. It's absolutely no hardship to us, the longer he stays it's fine, it wouldn't affect us because he's a pleasure to have around the place.''

However, with his transfer pending, Hart has ruled out playing Crouch in the club's pre-season games.

He added: ''It would probably be a little bit silly if l did play him - I don't want to take any risks there.''

A lot of buzz on some Liverpool FC forums today, that Gillette is selling his shares to a Middle Eastern based company either DIC or someone else. However Hicks will stay on but will be giving up a percentage of his shares. Absolutely no source for this but unusual amount of talk about it so thought it was worth a mention.

Personally heard all this before so don't want to get my hopes up yet again but could be great timing if this happens.

Apparently Hicks will oversea the building of the new stadium which will go ahead, he has a lot of experience of this and built some good stadiums.

Edited by Devil

A lot of buzz on some Liverpool FC forums today, that Gillette is selling his shares to a Middle Eastern based company either DIC or someone else. However Hicks will stay on but will be giving up a percentage of his shares. Absolutely no source for this but unusual amount of talk about it so thought it was worth a mention.

Personally heard all this before so don't want to get my hopes up yet again but could be great timing if this happens.

Apparently Hicks will oversea the building of the new stadium which will go ahead, he has a lot of experience of this and built some good stadiums.

I hope there is some truth in it...however I doubt it...like you said these rumours have been going on for ever now. I just wish one way or another it all gets sorted and Rafa can go for his targets. This whole mess is not doing the team any good at all.

It really pi$$es me off.

Crouch....don't make me laugh. Bag of Sh!te.

RAFA: XABI SHOULD STAY AT LIVERPOOL

Paul Eaton in Singapore 25 July 2009 LFC TV

Rafa Benitez today revealed he has told Xabi Alonso that he should stay at Liverpool.

Alonso received a rapturous ovation from the Singapore fans as he watched the Reds train on Friday night.

"I was talking to him yesterday and telling him to listen to the fans. They love Xabi," Benitez told a press conference in Singapore.

"I said to him, 'Maybe you have to stay.'

"You can see he is a really good player and I'll be really pleased if he stays. All the players and his teammates want him to stay. If we keep Xabi I will be very pleased."

RAFA: XABI SHOULD STAY AT LIVERPOOL

Paul Eaton in Singapore 25 July 2009 LFC TV

Rafa Benitez today revealed he has told Xabi Alonso that he should stay at Liverpool.

Alonso received a rapturous ovation from the Singapore fans as he watched the Reds train on Friday night.

"I was talking to him yesterday and telling him to listen to the fans. They love Xabi," Benitez told a press conference in Singapore.

"You can see he is a really good player and I'll be really pleased if he stays. All the players and his teammates want him to stay. If we keep Xabi I will be very pleased."

That basically passes the buck to Xabi, I think he has been avoiding saying he wants to go to the fans.

StevieH, or anyone else, know what's going on with YNWA.tv? Been down for days now.

Apparently YNWA is having server issues and should be back up soon. You can follow some info on their Facebook page :)

That's quite harsh. He had a respectable goal scoring record with Liverpool, though not prolific, but also he's the kind of striker who's very presence changes the game and he helped create a lot of goals while on the pitch. I wish he'd never left, really. If he'd stayed last season with Torres out so much he'd have got plenty of games and maybe the Keane fiasco wouldn't have happened and he could have even made the difference in the league.

However, I think there's no chance we're bringing him back.

Edited by Jimjim

That's quite harsh. He had a respectable goal scoring record with Liverpool, though not prolific, but also he's the kind of striker who's very presence changes the game and he helped create a lot of goals while on the pitch. I wish he'd never left, really. If he'd stayed last season with Torres out so much he'd have got plenty of games and maybe the Keane fiasco wouldn't have happened and he could have even made the difference in the league.

Sorry JJ we will have to agree to disagree on Crouchy, he does not fit in to the style of play that Rafa wanted to adopt in my opinion, and funds being as scarce as they were he was the only option, seen as though he had an agenda against Owen at the time Crouch was signed. I was of the opinion then he is a bag of sh!te.

Crouch is not the fastest and if you play to a high tempo he is lost in games......unless your aiming for his head. Can you imagine him playing at Arsenal??? he would be like a duck out of water. anyway my rant over.

Crouch is not my cup of tea. No way will he be back at Anfield.

Sorry JJ we will have to agree to disagree on Crouchy, he does not fit in to the style of play that Rafa wanted to adopt in my opinion, and funds being as scarce as they were he was the only option, seen as though he had an agenda against Owen at the time Crouch was signed. I was of the opinion then he is a bag of sh!te.

Crouch is not the fastest and if you play to a high tempo he is lost in games......unless your aiming for his head. Can you imagine him playing at Arsenal??? he would be like a duck out of water. anyway my rant over.

Looks like he has signed for Spurs. :)

5-0 Liverpool - nice win to go back to England with. Singapore were poor, school boy defending.

Anyway good work out,the game came to life in the second half mainly all due to Kuyt who looked excellent on the right and some nice finishing from Nemeth.

Liverpool looked a bit more physically sharp compared the Thailand game, perhaps acclimatised a bit better after a few extra days in the heat and humidity.

Just hope Liverpool's commercial side and owners see the reaction and support from the Asia fans...Packed out stadiums in Thailand and Singapore. Lets hope they come back soon and can market more in this part of the world.

Its clear Liverpool have the biggest following out of the English clubs in Asia :)

What was Alonso's reception like Devil?

Nice to see Nemeth getting off the mark.

Hi Ace I watched it live on a stream, didn't go to Sing but from what I heard and what the commentary kept saying is he got a massive ovation almost as loud as what Torres got. You could hear the Alonso chants when he came on and got the ball.

I have a few mates in Singapore who went to the game and was also at Clark Quay and river where the players were on the boats passing by. Apparently massive banners for Alonso draping over the bridge asking him to please Stay. Must of been nice for him, maybe second thoughts?

Nemeth, Yes I was surprised how he took his chance so well almost Fowler like :)

Funny you say he's <deleted> but the stats say differently. Yes he may not have been Rafa's cup of tea but I'm sorry, he's far from <deleted>. You don't have to like him but give him his due. Also I think he wanted to go as he isn't the best striker in the world, obviously Liverpool already have that, so that was always going to stand in his way of more playing time. Obviously a Torres-Gerrard partnership looks way better than a Torres-Crouch partnership.

Ya, no <deleted> he won't come back to Liverpool. I never expected him to do so.

Great game 5-0 and Nemeth took his goals well. Would have liked to see that kind of performance in Bangkok! dam_n it. Oh well.

Devil quit watching on this <deleted> streams and get e-season ticket, it's worth it.

Two fullbacks gone although we have cover. I guess this should gives us a bit more cash for a bid for Silva or others...

Alonso reportedly in Spain but doesn't need to report to Liverpool for training until Thursday. Report is that Rafa wants a deal done by then or no deal. We'll see...

Do you really think we have adequate cover for both fullback spots if Dossena and Arbeloa go?

RB

Glen Johnson - Great first choice

Jamie Carragher - Can do a job there but im sure would prefer the centerback spot

Philip Degen - Injury prone, hopefully stays injury free this season and shows us what he can do

Stephen Darby - Up and coming youngster, should be around the first team this season

LB

Fabio Aurelio - Good player but gets injured alot

Emiliano Insua - Could be his season so shine

We will look a little weak at leftback, do you think Rafa will get someone else in at this position and will we be able to replace the players with there fees. I still think we could do with another at right back aswell as Carragher would prefere to play at the center and if Degen picks up another injury. However id be happy to see Darby get some chances but do you guys think hes ready to play backup to Johnson?

Do you really think we have adequate cover for both fullback spots if Dossena and Arbeloa go?

RB

Glen Johnson - Great first choice

Jamie Carragher - Can do a job there but im sure would prefer the centerback spot

Philip Degen - Injury prone, hopefully stays injury free this season and shows us what he can do

Stephen Darby - Up and coming youngster, should be around the first team this season

LB

Fabio Aurelio - Good player but gets injured alot

Emiliano Insua - Could be his season so shine

We will look a little weak at leftback, do you think Rafa will get someone else in at this position and will we be able to replace the players with there fees. I still think we could do with another at right back aswell as Carragher would prefere to play at the center and if Degen picks up another injury. However id be happy to see Darby get some chances but do you guys think hes ready to play backup to Johnson?

Probably weaker at right back than on the left Jared, that was my initial thought anyway.

I think we look ok at left back with Aurelio and Insua... but its at right back we look thin because so far I haven't seen anything of Degan that suggests he can step in and do a job so we only have Johnson.

Cover for center back seems more important since Sammy's departure.

Like you said Carra can do a job at right back and Johnson from the looks of things in Pre Season was comfortable as left back also so maybe an option there also.

Guess we might see the occasional younger players make an appearance this year but can they come in for a run of games to make us a Title challenging team?

Despite the fact we hear all the financial problems I would still expect some more signings in the remaining days of the transfer window.

I agree we look weaker with both fullbacks leaving and only one (Glen Johnson) coming in to the team but we still have cover. What we really need is either to get a proven central defender or be able to rely on a reserve defender stepping up as the 4th choice central defender, which in my opinion looks to be Mikel San Jose Dominguez. Others would say Kelly but apparently Kelly can play at right back as well and may possibly be more thought of for that position as it has less defensive pressure if he needed to play in a pinch.

Left Back

Insua

Aurelio

Agger (classy defender who could do the job I'm sure)

Glen Johnson (but who will play on the right if he has to fill in here? Carragher is the best option for second choice right back I feel)

Right back

G. Johnson

Carragher (provided both Agger and Skrtel are fit to play in central defense)

Degen

Darby

Martin Kelly

So yes we have a lot of depth at both spots in my opinion although Carra and Agger would be playing out of their main positions. The question is whether the depth will hold if we have some injuries. If (and it may not happen) we get a new defender I don't feel we'll get a new signing who will be a true right or left back but may rather get a central defender so someone like Carra or Agger with more versatility can be the ones to fill in the defensive back slots if needed.

madrid can fuc_k off if they think they're getting him on the cheap though. £32m at least, but i do expect us to sell him for less than that. we always do. sorry to see xabi go but the transfer request is the final straw really, no going back after that.

There's got to be cases of players not getting what they want after handing in transfer requests but ya, that's probably rare. I felt like I was punched in the gut when I saw that today as I had hoped the quiet news the last two days meant the saga was possibly over. I guess not.

There's got to be cases of players not getting what they want after handing in transfer requests but ya, that's probably rare. I felt like I was punched in the gut when I saw that today as I had hoped the quiet news the last two days meant the saga was possibly over. I guess not.

ronaldo last summer being the obvious one. but i'd expect madrid to be putting pressure on alonso and his agent now to make it happen and make it easier for madrid to pay less for him. it'll get messy now because madrid are a bunch of cun_ts.