Liverpool F.c.

scousemouse

According to Spanish Newspaper 'Marca' Liverpool have signed Roma midfielder Alberto Aquilani for £15.3m.

i'd be surprised if marca knew about any deal before the echo or corriere dello sport. marca is madrid's mouthpiece and they do entirely what the club tells them to.

madrid can fuc_k off if they think they're getting him on the cheap though. £32m at least, but i do expect us to sell him for less than that. we always do. sorry to see xabi go but the transfer request is the final straw really, no going back after that.

According to that fairly informative Spanish journalist that appears on Skysports news Benitez is doing the negotiation and according to him he is trying to squeeze them for everything as its Benitez's first deal that he has completely negotiated alone.

But wasnt he going to be sold for 15 million last year to Juve, when Liverpuddle wouldnt pay the same amount for Barry????

Edited by sanmiguellight

According to that fairly informative Spanish journalist that appears on Skysports news Benitez is doing the negotiation and according to him he is trying to squeeze them for everything as its Benitez's first deal that he has completely negotiated alone.

But wasnt he going to be sold for 15 million last year to Juve, when Liverpuddle wouldnt pay the same amount for Barry????

you mean guilleme balague? think he generally talks out of his hoop to be honest. he's no more informed than the average tabloid hack. rafa isn't doing any negotiating anyway, the new CEO christian purslow is handling that.

yeah we hawked him to juve and arsenal for 15m-17m last summer, which was a mistake imo. he's one of the best central midfielders on the planet right now though, so i don't see why madrid should expect to get him on the cheap.

Edited by StevieH

Agreement reached

Well that's expected but still not happy about it. This is a major blow, in my opinion. The club is bigger than one player but where do we go from here? Seeing Poulsen (bit of a thug), Defour and Aquilani strongly linked but we'll have to see. Whoever comes, there's not much time left to get them accustomed to the team. I strongly believe we'll see a midfield pairing of Lucas and Mascherano on opening day. Agger and Skrtel both injured at the same time is worrying as well. San Jose let in the Espanyol players far too many times Sunday when he didn't play the offside trap too well. Can Poulsen play as a defender? That may be Rafa's thought if the rumor is true.

Edited by Jimjim

Agreement reached

Well that's expected but still not happy about it. This is a major blow, in my opinion. The club is bigger than one player but where do we go from here? Seeing Poulsen (bit of a thug), Defour and Aquilani strongly linked but we'll have to see. Whoever comes, there's not much time left to get them accustomed to the team. I strongly believe we'll see a midfield pairing of Lucas and Mascherano on opening day. Agger and Skrtel both injured at the same time is worrying as well. San Jose let in the Espanyol players far too many times Sunday when he didn't play the offside trap too well. Can Poulsen play as a defender? That may be Rafa's thought if the rumor is true.

Yes bit worried also but I am sure it will all come good.

Poulsen - I know its all just paper talk but not sure how Poulsen would improve the side.

Dafur - Never seen him play... Sounds a big step up from the Belgium league to the Premier, playing Lucas has to be a better option at the moment than either of those two. He had a good game against Espanyol, although we didn't as a team.

Aquilani - would love for him to come. If its all true that we have reached an agreement with Roma. Alonso is gone and there isn't anyone with his range of passing available on the market. If Aquilani fits in and isn't plagued with injuries he might just bring us more drive and dynamic in midfield anyway.

One thing is for sure Masch is going to be crucial to us this season if we hope to play as well as last season. With his experience and defensive qualities especially if we do go for the likes of a more attacking midfielder to partner him.

sad day this, my favourite red of recent years and he'll be missed. i also think he's probably making a bit of a mistake football-wise, as he won't be as valued or as loved at madrid as he was at liverpool - he'll be the workhorse who has to leg it around and cover for ronaldo, kaka, raul, benzema et al. still, the club actually got decent money for a sold player for a change, so now we've got to use it wisely.

not sure about poulsen myself, he's alright but i'm not sure he's any better than lucas. there is a potential silver lining for me which is that if we can get in both aquilani and silva then we'll have probably improved the squad overall. if we only sign aquilani, then probably not so.

sad day this, my favourite red of recent years and he'll be missed. i also think he's probably making a bit of a mistake football-wise, as he won't be as valued or as loved at madrid as he was at liverpool - he'll be the workhorse who has to leg it around and cover for ronaldo, kaka, raul, benzema et al. still, the club actually got decent money for a sold player for a change, so now we've got to use it wisely.

not sure about poulsen myself, he's alright but i'm not sure he's any better than lucas. there is a potential silver lining for me which is that if we can get in both aquilani and silva then we'll have probably improved the squad overall. if we only sign aquilani, then probably not so.

I don't think its going to be as bad as people are making out to lose Alonso. As you said Stevie would be nice to get the mentioned players as a result of his departure, not bad at all.

I really want a quality striker though (a out and out striker) brought in, even if they have to sit on the bench for some games. To rely on Torres for the whole season is very risky, cost us last season. We don't have the quality on the bench for this up coming season to stand in for Torres.

Very dissapointed with this lads. I liked Alonso and Liverpool will miss him. We are not ready for winning the title yet, so I am relying on you lot or Chelsea to kick United in the teeth. This isn't good at all. You better get a replacement.....and soon :)

I don't think its going to be as bad as people are making out to lose Alonso. As you said Stevie would be nice to get the mentioned players as a result of his departure, not bad at all.

I really want a quality striker though (a out and out striker) brought in, even if they have to sit on the bench for some games. To rely on Torres for the whole season is very risky, cost us last season. We don't have the quality on the bench for this up coming season to stand in for Torres.

we should be all over van nistelrooy mate. he'd play 30 games for us next season including champions league which would be enough for him in a world cup year.

right now our squad looks worryingly thin.

we should be all over van nistelrooy mate. he'd play 30 games for us next season including champions league which would be enough for him in a world cup year.

you are not alone stevie - despite the good paint job, we are thin up front and on the left wing. at this point i would say chelsea is in poll position.

Nistelrooy, not a bad shout at all.

you are not alone stevie - despite the good paint job, we are thin up front and on the left wing. at this point i would say chelsea is in poll position.

have to agree with that. chelsea's squad looks about the most complete and in-depth in europe at the minute. options all over the place and they're probably not done spending either.

According to Spanish Newspaper 'Marca' Liverpool have signed Roma midfielder Alberto Aquilani for £15.3m.

i'd be surprised if marca knew about any deal before the echo or corriere dello sport. marca is madrid's mouthpiece and they do entirely what the club tells them to.

The Echo have a story on Aquilani joining based on him passing a medical. Echo

yeah, pleased with this one now. fee is being misreported, it's actually more like 18m euro rather than 20m pound as the uk press is tagging it. hopefully more to come too, we're still being linked with defour and i really hope we're still after silva.

yeah, pleased with this one now. fee is being misreported, it's actually more like 18m euro rather than 20m pound as the uk press is tagging it. hopefully more to come too, we're still being linked with defour and i really hope we're still after silva.

based on what i saw of him last night, i hope we are on the trail of silva as well.

based on what i saw of him last night, i hope we are on the trail of silva as well.

he's bloody excellent. he and david villa are probably the two best players in europe not with a champions league club next season. i would hope that having his mates pepe, fernando, fabio and albert at anfield would sway him our way but you never know.

Will be an intersting end to the transfer window this one. Think you guys need another singing and so do we. At the moment Silva seem to be the answer for both clubs.

He did look to be on a different level compared most in the game when he did come on, his first touch and close control just gives him more time on the ball to make that pass or run. Pity he was reluctant to shoot though, as he got in shooting positions a number of times.

Will be an intersting end to the transfer window this one. Think you guys need another singing and so do we. At the moment Silva seem to be the answer for both clubs.

He did look to be on a different level compared most in the game when he did come on, his first touch and close control just gives him more time on the ball to make that pass or run. Pity he was reluctant to shoot though, as he got in shooting positions a number of times.

Glad to know you are a closet United fan Dev watching our matches at all ours of the night :)

Glad to know you are a closet United fan Dev watching our matches at all ours of the night :)

That's right wasn't in the slightest interested to see Villa, Silva or Mata in action who have all been linked to our club :D

Have to admit though A Valencia looked good on the right for you, keeps it simple, uses his pace, strength and can actually cross. If you get Silva for your left, I will be worried.

Owen still makes those clever runs of the shoulder of the defender at times the center back didn't know where he was, looks better for it with team mates who can actually read his runs... but cant belive he didnt hit the target with some of those chances and with Mr Capello watching!

Aquolani was at our place earlier in the Summer for Medical treatment believe it or not..

Seemed to be injured a hel_l of a lot for Roma over the past few Years but IS a very, very good Player, when fit...

Alonso's a HUGE loss though sadly & i know one Man doesn't make a Team but i thought he really made yours tick last Year & a few of the previous Years & am thinking my Tenner i had on Liverpool to win the League this Year is gone..

Aquolani was at our place earlier in the Summer for Medical treatment believe it or not..

Seemed to be injured a hel_l of a lot for Roma over the past few Years but IS a very, very good Player, when fit...

Alonso's a HUGE loss though sadly & i know one Man doesn't make a Team but i thought he really made yours tick last Year & a few of the previous Years & am thinking my Tenner i had on Liverpool to win the League this Year is gone..

he has played 109 games in 6 years at roma scoring 9 goals do you think he can cope with the more pysical english game and having to play 2 games a week dont think so.

alonso huge loss very hard to replace a player as good as him.

he has played 109 games in 6 years at roma scoring 9 goals do you think he can cope with the more pysical english game and having to play 2 games a week dont think so.

alonso huge loss very hard to replace a player as good as him.

Fair enough but he was loaned out from Roma when younger so stats don't tell the whole story of his 6 years there. Raffa and his team will know a hel_l of a lot more than we will ever know. And Raffa has proven he can get the best out of players with the right attitude.

Regarding the injuries, I understand one calf injury kept him out for a while, then there was a problem with a thigh injury (twice) it recurred immediately after his the first thigh injury on return. This kept him out for some time again (suggested he was rushed back to soon) and then recently the broken ankle, he has since recovered from.

There is a a unhappy fraction of Roma supporters saying how many players have been rushed back from injury due to the manager Spaletti and his has introduced some very harsh training methods over the years. In fact some players who had spent their entire careers at Roma injury free have suffered problems and more strangely similar recurring injuries as soon as Spaletti came in and changed their training and methods.

Aquilani's injures are not exactly standing out to me as uncommon in the game or suggest he physically cant handle the game either. Whether he can adapt to the English game is the bigger question for me.

I cant see Raffa rushing this lad in either, as some have suggested we might not see him in action the first few games hes not match fit and slowly brought in. So thats the bigger problem is can Lucas step up and will Gerrard be pushed back?

Raffa had obviously considered this guy a massive talent from a early age when he watched him play in a U21 tournament. So its a massive coup to get a Roma based player of this quality, very few ever leave if brought through their system and are as talented as this lad is. Aquilani has been compared by Roma fans as their next Totti and I can tell you from what I have heard they are gutted he's gone.

I like the fact he has come here for the right reasons and lets hope he stays fit.

Fair enough but he was loaned out from Roma when younger so stats don't tell the whole story of his 6 years there. Raffa and his team will know a hel_l of a lot more than we will ever know. And Raffa has proven he can get the best out of players with the right attitude.

Regarding the injuries, I understand one calf injury kept him out for a while, then there was a problem with a thigh injury (twice) it recurred immediately after his the first thigh injury on return. This kept him out for some time again (suggested he was rushed back to soon) and then recently the broken ankle, he has since recovered from.

There is a a unhappy fraction of Roma supporters saying how many players have been rushed back from injury due to the manager Spaletti and his has introduced some very harsh training methods over the years. In fact some players who had spent their entire careers at Roma injury free have suffered problems and more strangely similar recurring injuries as soon as Spaletti came in and changed their training and methods.

Aquilani's injures are not exactly standing out to me as uncommon in the game or suggest he physically cant handle the game either. Whether he can adapt to the English game is the bigger question for me.

I cant see Raffa rushing this lad in either, as some have suggested we might not see him in action the first few games hes not match fit and slowly brought in. So thats the bigger problem is can Lucas step up and will Gerrard be pushed back?

Raffa had obviously considered this guy a massive talent from a early age when he watched him play in a U21 tournament. So its a massive coup to get a Roma based player of this quality, very few ever leave if brought through their system and are as talented as this lad is. Aquilani has been compared by Roma fans as their next Totti and I can tell you from what I have heard they are gutted he's gone.

I like the fact he has come here for the right reasons and lets hope he stays fit.

Spot on..

The right reasons that Roma are in worse shape than Valencia financially, is that what you mean Dev? :)

and liverpool are in worse financial shape than both of them.

that said he's signed for a bigger, more successful club and shown ambition.

The right reasons that Roma are in worse shape than Valencia financially, is that what you mean Dev? :)

haha ok stevie, you back incountry yet btw? any new tattoos from the fatherland? what's the word in the street in LP, Rafa gone by Xmas?

haha ok stevie, you back incountry yet btw? any new tattoos from the fatherland? what's the word in the street in LP, Rafa gone by Xmas?

aye back in chiang mai man. no new tats, though i will now have to have the big xabi alonso portrait lasered off my back. most talk in the city remains about getting hicks and gillett out rather than the manager. oh and of course everyone's delighted to have the king back at the club.