Liverpool F.c.

scousemouse

well you'd be wrong. we've achieved more under him than most liverpool fans ever expected we would,

You had low expectations then?

two european cup finals, consistent improvement in the league and an fa cup in his tenure. not bad at all. considerably better than wenger in that time for example. you're a poor fisherman.

How many seasons is it Rafa has been at the helm? About 5 right? And you are telling me that two Euro Cups, reasonable league performance and one FA Cup has in fact exceeded fans expectations? So just exactly what expectations did the fans have and did they not involve winning the league in five years? If you take away the Euro Cups you're not really left with much.

You mean 1 European Cup (not two)

keane isn't in the squad to face chelsea.

Well then he's going to have a problem proving himself if Rafa doesn't give him a chance...

he's gone. if not now then in the summer. back to spurs for about 15m. i don't think rafa ever really wanted him and it really is one of the strangest transfers i can remember.

keane isn't in the squad to face chelsea.

Well then he's going to have a problem proving himself if Rafa doesn't give him a chance...

he's gone. if not now then in the summer. back to spurs for about 15m. i don't think rafa ever really wanted him and it really is one of the strangest transfers i can remember.

what you say is true,just saw report on espn.

I'm absolutely gutted about this. A great player who goes out and scores three goals in twogames, then sees himself warming the bench for El Gordo Benitez.

Sooner or later Benitez will fall from grace and the scousers will then be free to find a settled side that will challenge for the league. Until then, the Spaniard will keep up his policy of substituting great match winning players with twenty minutes of the game to play.!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :o

Rafa Benitez to sign £20million deal to stay at Anfield

Rafa Benitez will sign a new £20million four-year contract at Liverpool this week.

Co-owner Tom Hicks arrived at Anfield to tell Benitez that the valuation of transfer targets will no longer be the remit of chief exec Rick Parry. And the owners will sanction the sale of £20million misfit Robbie Keane.

Boss Benitez rejected a four-and-a-half-year contract extension because of his anger that Parry refused to pay Aston Villa £18million for Gareth Barry last summer. Instead, Parry agreed a £20million fee for Keane with Tottenham.

A source close to Hicks said: “The owners have had a number of conversations with Rafa Benitez. They agree with his view on how transfer business will be conducted. Tom Hicks and George Gillett hope to conclude the contract while they are in England.”

www.mirror.co.uk

I'm absolutely gutted about this. A great player who goes out and scores three goals in twogames, then sees himself warming the bench for El Gordo Benitez.

Sooner or later Benitez will fall from grace and the scousers will then be free to find a settled side that will challenge for the league. Until then, the Spaniard will keep up his policy of substituting great match winning players with twenty minutes of the game to play.!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :o

i too have been saying this in many posts in this thread only to be howled down,so iam posting again to agree with you.

Yes I am gutted also I still think Raffa could of given him more time and keep options other than the Torres Gerrard partnership... I pray we have no injuries or it will be Raffas head as we have no strikers! and so what if he didnt sign Keane or not you have a quality striker so make the most of it... We are in 3 tournaments and half a season to go!

Yes I am gutted also I still think Raffa could of given him more time and keep options other than the Torres Gerrard partnership... I pray we have no injuries or it will be Raffas head as we have no strikers! and so what if he didnt sign Keane or not you have a quality striker so make the most of it... We are in 3 tournaments and half a season to go!

i don't agree dev. keane's absolutely stunk the place out from day one.

beeb's got it wrong i think then m. the starting XI will be:

reina

arbeloa carra skrtel aurelio

mascherano alonso

kuyt gerrard riera

torres.

Just saw that squad that the BBC posted was posted on Friday, before all this frresh talk of him going...

So not even Keane on the bench ??

Edited by MSingh

4-4-2 would concede the midfield to chelsea. and also remove gerrard from his best position.

even if gerrard lined up in the middle four,could n't he still be used,when attacking behind torres and kuyt?I know gerrard has been brillant behind torres,but from my observations of the game,teams that use only one up front do so to hold the middle.those that use 2 up front want to win and score goals.

4-4-2 would concede the midfield to chelsea. and also remove gerrard from his best position.

even if gerrard lined up in the middle four,could n't he still be used,when attacking behind torres and kuyt?I know gerrard has been brillant behind torres,but from my observations of the game,teams that use only one up front do so to hold the middle.those that use 2 up front want to win and score goals.

I think all this talk of Formations etc is a little misleading as i think it's fair to say all Teams in the League change Formation at various stages of a Game & even when they do/don't have the Ball..

Liverpool & Mr Benitez do probably more than most i would have thought also..

i don't agree dev. keane's absolutely stunk the place out from day one.

I disagree with that! but ok we all see it differently, anyway if its true hes going then it seems that's what Raffa thinks also.

I think the Keane situation and the treatment he is getting is more unprofessional than anything I have every seen at the club for a long time! I thought we were supposed to protect players! what did he do wrong to be cast out after only half a season?

Keanes performances on the few chances he's been given to play have been misjudged based on high expectations due to price tag.I for one think Keane has proved his worth to at least see out the season and then be judged. Sell him now WHY? do we get another striker in place? If its true and Raffa has sold him, so be it but lets not exaggerate that his performances and his attitude have been so bad have they?

Robbie doesn't come across as a Prima Dona type player in all his career and hes been a true pro and role model. If people refer to his body language at being substituted well considering the pressure on him and his obvious desire to do well then that shows me his passion to me! he wants to play and do well...

Every game he's played this season (not enough if you ask me) he's given 110% and even when he struggled for goals his teamwork and chance creating have been excellent - example knock down for Stevie G's winner against Boro, also set up for Torres against the Toffees and then his performances against Arsenal and Bolton showed his class.

Given Keane even said he loves Liverpool FC since his boyhood I really feel sorry for the lad now. And just shows that personal feelings power struggles (Raffa and Parry) are being put ahead of Liverpool's Title challenge considering if Torres is injured then what? we have no option that is better than Keane.

Edited by Devil

My mate is one of the assistant referees at today game, hope he doesn't let us down :o

Great first half, for a 4-5-1 formation that looks very attacking to me :D

You mean linesman? Was he the one who let Bosingwa kick Yossi on the back and call a foul on Yossi?

As for Keane, I can't say he's stunk up the place. I agree, he starts scoring finally as in 3 goals in 2 games and then he's back on the bench all the time? I do agree that our best two up front are Torres and Gerrard. I think Keane could do the same as Kuyt and adapt to that right position also, as in certain times Kuyt and Riera both are up front at different times when the ball is on the other side, almost like a forward. And it's February now, is Keane gone for sure now? I have to check the news.

samuibeachcomber, all due respect, but, we aren't talking about other teams. We're talking about Liverpool F.C. The last several games of last season we played with Gerrard and Torres up front, and dominated. Goals were scored, matches were won. It worked quite well. Gerrard scores a lot in that position, as in two against Hull, for example. Torres works well with Gerrard there as well, as evidenced most recently in the goal against Everton in the FA Cup. It works for Liverpool, doesn't matter if it looks too defensive to you or not. I think Kuyt is a better on the right than a forward striker, as well. I think Keane could have a good partnership with Torres just like Berbatov, as they have barely played together to have an understanding. But for now, the proven partnership is Gerrard and Torres.

Edit: <deleted>. Just checked the story. Looks like Keane is gone now. We barely got used to having him here. What an odd turn of events, in my opinion. As I already said, he wouldn't be part of our best formation but why just throw him away? If Torres is ever injured, I'm sorry but Kuyt is a poor replacement to be a lone front man. I've sung his praises earlier in the season, but lately he hasn't scored in a long time and he works best on the right, really. Babel and Ngog aren't ready for it. So, as long we're healthy it's fine but what to do then? I think with him gone Liverpool only have two solid up front options in Gerrard and Torres. Keane was a boyhood Liverpool fan and this is a dream club for him. It sure went horribly wrong, looking back on it. I have to say the move to get him surprised me, too, but I came to welcome it even with all his horrible misses and subpar performances. I felt he was just finally starting to get used to the squad and I am disappointed if he's really gone for good. I think he'd rather stay, honestly. I'd rather see him stay, as well.

Edited by Jimjim

jimjim, the transfer window is open until 5pm GMT today because the 31st jan fell on a weekend. i still wouldn't be surprised to see keane back to spurs today. what would be surprising would be us getting javier saviola in as a replacement.

you could tell liverpool just wanted to win more than chelsea,they came out fired up with a furious pace and would have beaten chelsea even if lampard had n't been sent off.gerrard man of the match for me.

thought the sending off harsh,a yellow yes.

the best refs for me are the ones that give leeway to the occasion and keep their hands in their pockets until absolutely necessary.

someone had to win last night to keep man.u in check and liverpool deserved winners,have to eat my words re (playing 2 up front)

you could tell liverpool just wanted to win more than chelsea,they came out fired up with a furious pace and would have beaten chelsea even if lampard had n't been sent off.gerrard man of the match for me.

the best refs for me are the ones that give leeway to the occasion and keep their hands in their pockets until absolutely necessary.

someone had to win last night to keep man.u in check and liverpool deserved winners,have to eat my words re (playing 2 up front)

Who knows, we don't that's for sure... :o

Who knows, we don't that's for sure... :o

true but chelsea were not looking good even in the first half.