Thai Senators Want To Grill Yingluck Over Her Mongolia Speech

webfact

POLITICS
Senators want to grill PM over her Mongolia speech

Olan Lertrudtanadumrongkul,
Prapasri Osathanon
The Nation

BANGKOK: -- Fifty-eight senators on Thursday issued a statement to denounce Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra's Mongolia speech and planned to summon the prime minister to be grilled by four Senate panels.

The senators called themselves "senators who love the country." They announced at a press conference that Yingluck would be summoned to explain her speech to four Senate panels.

The four panels are the Senate committee on foreign affairs, the Senate committee on religions, ethics, arts and culture, the Senate committee on human rights and consumer protection, and the Senate committee on corruption and good governance.

The statement also accused Yingluck of telling only part of the story when she said former prime minister Thaksin Shinawatra was politically victimised.

The senators also called on Yingluck to take legal action against all officials in the Centre for the Resolution of Emergency Situation if innocent people had been killed by security officials during the crackdown on redshirt protesters, as the PM claimed in her speech.

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2013-05-02

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Good - i hope they take her phone off her, ask her lots of difficult questions and make her cry.

Then find sufficient evidence to impeach her and lock her away in Jail where her pretty good looks will help her 'work' her way through prison smile.png

• Like 2

Constitution 2007:

Section 135. The House of Representatives and the Senate have the power to select and appoint members of each house to constitute a standing committee and have the power to select and appoint persons, being or not being its members, to constitute an non-standing committee in order to perform any act, inquire into or study any matter within the powers and duties of the House and report its findings to the House. The resolution appointing such non-standing committee must specify its activities or the responsible matters clearly and without repetition or duplication.

The committee under paragraph one has the power to demand documents from any person or summon any person to give statements of fact or opinions on the act or the matter under its inquiry or study and such demand or summoning is enforceable as provided by law but it is not applicable to a judge performing his powers and duties in trial of the case or to the personnel management of each Court and to the Ombudsman or members of the independent Constitutional organisation in the performance of their powers and duties under the Constitution or the organic laws, as the case may be.

In the case where the person under paragraph two is a government official, official or employee of government agency, State agency, State enterprise or local government organisation, the Chairperson of the committee shall notify the Minister who supervises and controls the agency to which such person is attached in order to instruct him to act as prescribed in paragraph two, except that, in the case of the safety of or important benefit to the State, it shall be deemed as a ground for the exemption to the compliance with paragraph two.

The privileges provided in section 130 shall also extend to the persons performing their duties under this section.

The number of members of a standing committee appointed solely from members of the House of Representatives shall be in proportion to or in close proportion to the number of members of the House of Representatives of each political party or group of political parties in the House of Representatives.

In the absence of the rules of procedure of the House of Representatives under section 134, the President of the House of Representatives shall determine the proportion under paragraph five.

Would that be charcoal or gas?

Will that be a Mongolian Grill ? wink.png

The whole thing it's turning into a Mongolian Clusterf##k.

The four panels are the Senate committee on foreign affairs, the Senate committee on religions, ethics, arts and culture, the Senate committee on human rights and consumer protection,??? and the Senate committee on corruption and good governance.

Strewth, any more? Interesting that the senate can "summon" the PM at all. This will make for interesting reading, I think she should give them both barrels, and tell them it's a free country.

I wonder if they are of the "appointed" or the "duly elected" variety. Actually, I think I could make an educated guess whistling.gif .

What we do know is that according to the nation they "love the country" with the obvious implication aimed at the PM.

• Like 1

With the situation so politicised it's no surprise that someone asks if the 58 senators who want to grill the PM are elected or selected.

The question should be irrelevant. With the senators forming four different commisions ('foreign affairs", "religions, ethics, arts and culture", "human rights and consumer protection", and "corruption and good governance") the question suggests that those commissions (almost) only have appointed/selected senators.

BTW out of 150 senators 75 are elected, 75 are selected.

I can foresee a problem with this if she just claims that she didn't write the speech but it was written for her. This isn't unusual of course but normally the speech giver has some input and understands what they are saying. The PM's problem is she often claims not to know much about anything contentious. Let's hope she's turning over a new leaf.

Would that be charcoal or gas?

Will that be a Mongolian Grill ? wink.png

I doubt it would even classify as a par boil......nothing gonna eventuate. !!

The four panels are the Senate committee on foreign affairs, the Senate committee on religions, ethics, arts and culture, the Senate committee on human rights and consumer protection,??? and the Senate committee on corruption and good governance.

Strewth, any more? Interesting that the senate can "summon" the PM at all. This will make for interesting reading, I think she should give them both barrels, and tell them it's a free country.

She will probably do just that.

It seems PT (Thaksin) has no respect for any authorities now and is doing everything to cause disturbances.

• Like 1

"Senators want to grill PM over her Mongolia speech"

I seriously doubt it was her speech. She even had trouble saying some of the words, let alone understand them.

Edit:

Bugger! Rubl beat me to it.

Edited by JetsetBkk

I wish the senators would summon the army and get them to explain the G200 purchasers.

Nice one.

Sadly it doesn't suit their raison d'etre.

Interesting that it's quite acceptable for the Army chief to tell people ( citizens and journalists ) to stop discussing an outrageously corrupt purchase by his very corrupt "organisation" and yet an accurate but quite harmless speech at an obscure moment is pilloried and it's import exaggerated.

Grist for the TV mill.

• Like 2

Good - i hope they take her phone off her, ask her lots of difficult questions and make her cry.

Then find sufficient evidence to impeach her and lock her away in Jail where her pretty good looks will help her 'work' her way through prison smile.png

I honestly wonder why you have so much hatred for the head of a elected government who to all intents and purposes is doing a far better job than any of her immediate predecessors, as proven by her approval ratings and the overall economic, political and social state of the country.

impeach her for what exactly ??

The wrong shoes ??

I think we can be quite certain that if there was the slightest hint of her personal corruption an annointed appointed senator would be on it like a ton of bricks..........

• Like 2

At least there is only one individual to summon about the speech, the fake detector story could run into dozens to summon, depending on the number who would be pointing fingers.

I honestly wonder why you have so much hatred for the head of a elected government who to all intents and purposes is doing a far better job than any of her immediate predecessors, as proven by her approval ratings and the overall economic, political and social state of the country.

The wrong shoes ??

I think we can be quite certain that if there was the slightest hint of her personal corruption an annointed appointed senator would be on it like a ton of bricks..........

What? She was elected, so we all have to love her???

• Like 1

With some here saying they can't understand what the PM is saying when she gives a speech just reading of some papers, I wouldn't be surprised if she didn't know what the heck she was reading / telling anyway.

So, it's either she didn't know what she was saying in her speech. That would make her be seen as real dumb. On the other hand if she knew what she was saying, that would mean to be inline with her political standing. The part of being economical with the truth' that is. Declaring her big brother a political victim while forgetting to mention that he still skypes in to cabinet meetings to order his cabinet around and telling what he wants them to do. Maybe this last part was left out because obviously foreigners wouldn't understand Thai democracy.

Doesn't Yingluck's brother order her ( not his) cabinet around?

The wrong shoes ??

"who to all intents and purposes is doing a far better job than any of her immediate predecessors, as proven by her approval ratings and the overall economic, political and social state of the country."

blink.png Pardon?

Sorry it does go against the trend here.....

Still true though.

You are absolutely rite it is a free country as long as Thaksin OKs it.

Yingluck was just exercising her right to be stupid in front of the whole world.

The people she was speaking to were not the field hands in the rice paddies they were informed people looking for more information.

• Like 2

The wrong shoes ??

"who to all intents and purposes is doing a far better job than any of her immediate predecessors, as proven by her approval ratings and the overall economic, political and social state of the country."

blink.png Pardon?

Well, in pure economic terms of GDP growth, one would have to ask on which issue you are asking?

I agree that the flood stuff is going to turn into a corrupt mess, and the rice issue has turned to crap. But in all reality, with the world in a heap of c**p, how is the country not doing particularly badly. Yes exporters are going to struggle, and if 300 baht a day was enough to make the creak like they claim, then what type of companies were they?

Inflation is ok, GDP is ok, Debt to GDP is under 50% so far. GDP growth is expected to be 5.31% according to the google search I just made. Do you know how many countries in the world would bite off their left arm for a number like that? I have to play devils advocate about people making simple answers to complex issues, and yes, PTP is as corrupt as hell, but are the other bunch any better?

The rest of the world really doesn't want to have to deal with an army government, so better hope that the Dems do better at the ballot box.

• Like 1

You are absolutely rite it is a free country as long as Thaksin OKs it.

Yingluck was just exercising her right to be stupid in front of the whole world.

The people she was speaking to were not the field hands in the rice paddies they were informed people looking for more information.

Well, in fairness, I would hope that Abhisit would have pointed out that Thailand didn't exactly paint itself in a good light having to resort to a coup, in the same context.