Burmese Girl, 6, First Dengue Fatality On Phuket This Year

webfact

Burmese girl, 6, first dengue fatality on Phuket this year
Phuket Gazette

hut.jpg
A Phuket rescue worker stands in front of a Burmese rubber tapper hut. The Burmese girl, 6, died of dengue after staying just two weeks on the island. Photo: Gazette file

PHUKET: -- In the wake of a six-year-old Burmese girl dying from dengue fever after arriving on the island in April, the Phuket Provincial Health Office (PPHO) is urging everyone to bolster efforts to remove possible breeding grounds for mosquitoes potentially carrying the disease.

The young girl was in Phuket for less than two weeks before she was admitted to Vachira Phuket Hospital on April 16, explained PPHO Deputy Chief Krit Sakulpat.

“She had been suffering from a fever for four days before she was admitted. She was kept in the Intensive Care Unit for two days before she died,” Dr Krit said.

“The girl was living with her parents on a rubber plantation where they worked in Chalong,” he added.

Mr Krit asked the press to help inform the public of dengue-prevention measures, as Phuket Governor Maitri Inthusut launched the “333” dengue-awareness campaign last month (story here).

“Under the campaign, villagers inspect areas around their homes; check on patients who are showing symptoms of dengue fever; and remove water containers that can function as mosquito breeding grounds,” Mr Krit said.

The PPHO is also cooperating with other government offices to ensure that the news of the death of the Burmese girl and ways to prevent further deaths is spread across the island.

“With students returning to school next week, it is especially important they are well informed about dengue prevention,” he added.

Source: http://www.phuketgazette.net/phuket_news/2013/Burmese-girl-6-first-dengue-fatality-on-Phuket-this-year-20939.html

pglogo.jpg
-- Phuket Gazette 2013-05-04

She had a fever for more than four days and should have been taken to hosp allot sooner. I hope this is a lesson for people who are are sick, especially OLD or young children to go to Hosp sooner.. Rip

bri1guy

She had a fever for more than four days and should have been taken to hosp allot sooner. I hope this is a lesson for people who are are sick, especially OLD or young children to go to Hosp sooner..

Rip

I caught Dengue Fever about 10 years ago in Indonesia - I didn't go to hospital until I returned to UK 2 or 3 weeks later. I just thought it was influenza.

RIP little 'un and condolences to her parents. Don't blame yourselves you couldn't have done any more than you did.

Its not just the Dengue...its also Malaria and Chikungunya and several other mosquito and waterborn diseases. It helped to end my retirement in Thailand and has severely affected my life ever since.

I truly believe that if I had taken more precautions and had notification from authorities, at the time, that DAYTIME mosquitoes were spreading a terrible disease at a crisis stage, I would be much better off now.

It took my good friends life in Mexico and it goes WAY under reported because its bad for business in 3rd world countries. Some expats don't even want to admit they've had it/them.

Just a sliver of TRUTH from the tropics.