Things That Grate On You In Pattaya....

blackman

people who think its smart to make derogatory comments on ThaiVisa about other posters then when challenged politely do not not respond with an explanation as to why they did it or what it means

Edited by blackman

• Replies 557
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Indians in 7-11 getting the cashier to top up their mobiles and check on the phone balances, resulting in a massive cue. Are they so stupid they can't do it themselves?

Koreans and Chinese who have managed to escape their tour buses, who end up in 7-11 to slurp Mama noodles and microwave meals by the counter, making it impossible to squeeze past with a basket and pay without getting a face full of Tom Yam Gung!

Back onto Indians in 7-11, I hate it when people knock things off shelves, see it on the floor and just leave it there. Indians do this all the time, so I casually tap them on the shoulder and point at the item on the floor, casually mentioning "You knocked that off the shelf". Usually it gets ignored first time, but never the much louder second time with more gesticulation. The 7-11 staff in my local shop think this is highly amusing and it results in the most amazing beaming smiles from the poor buggers who have to put up with this shit for a pitance all day.

Stupid people doing things that delay queues are not restricted to 7 11s in LOS. I was once in a London post office with a queue out the door while a clerk actually allowed 2 Euro bagpacker girls to repack their parcel on his counter. I think it took 20 minutes to sort their problem.

nothing about Pattaya bothers me, i dont go there

And yet here you are lurking in the Pattaya Forum.

On a travel forum that I frequent, there is a tirade of derogatory comments whenever Pattaya is mentioned- all from people that have either never been there, or spent one night in the city.

However, at least the reputation stops the bagpackers from going there, which is always a good thing.

Now, if we can only stop the families arriving, things will get better.

nothing about Pattaya bothers me, i dont go there

And yet here you are lurking in the Pattaya Forum.

On a travel forum that I frequent, there is a tirade of derogatory comments whenever Pattaya is mentioned- all from people that have either never been there, or spent one night in the city.

However, at least the reputation stops the bagpackers from going there, which is always a good thing.

Now, if we can only stop the families arriving, things will get better.

Same same ThaiVisa :-)

You're sitting on a bahtbus at the start of the journey on a baking hot day sweating your b*ll**ks off waiting for the driver to start and move. He starts the engine and you breathe a sigh of relief at the prospect of getting a bit of an airflow. Then he moves one yard and stops, waiting for other passengers who aren't there. Then he starts again and moves another yard, then again and again. This can be torture until he finally gets underway.

Getting a baht bus on Central Road "grates" me. There are very few baht buses on that road (for a reason I can't understand). And most do not stop, even when empty of passengers. If you go right on Central Road from Second Road, and want to go to Foodland, for example, they refuse to stop. And it gets worse going back from Foodland. There, it is almost impossible to even locate a baht bus. The same FUBAR system is in place on Thepprasit Road. Try getting a baht bus to Sukhumvit from the Jomtien end of Thepprasit Road (and back again). When the baht bus system works, I am OK with it because it can be convenient, but in certain areas of the city, oddly on some major roads, it does not work.

That is true, but you can't really blame them as there are not many potential passengers on Central ( 3rd road is even worse ) and they are not a public service institution. Like everyone else here, they want to make money.

To catch a songtheaw up Central, I always wait near the Soi Buakeaw ( ? spelling ) entrance, as they do stop there, and I make sure I have plenty of time to spare.

Anyone tried Subway on Soi Buakhao?

Putting aside that the aircon has been "broken" for as long i can remember.

When you enter the store and look to order, you are greeted by "what you want mister"

Followed by painful observation of bread and other food butchering.

The icing is always the "wrap" the moment you sit down to eat and unwrap it, the whole sub falls apart.

I only wish someone from the head office paid a visit

Now you mention it - I was in there last week. They had a big sign for a sandwich and drink combo, 3 different. I asked the Thai guy behind the counter what was the difference between the 3. He didn't really understand so I tried again using other words, and then he replied, "why you always want cheap kee niao". I never mentioned the price with a word, just wanted to know what was the difference between the 3 sandwiches. Before I walked out I mentioned it to the girl that seemed in charge, she didn't seem to care either. The staff in the Subway on Beach Road is really friendly. Not sure what to deduct from that.

When you enter the store and look to order, you are greeted by "what you want mister"

The icing is always the "wrap" the moment you sit down to eat and unwrap it, the whole sub falls apart.

Now you mention it - I was in there last week. They had a big sign for a sandwich and drink combo, 3 different. I asked the Thai guy behind the counter what was the difference between the 3. He didn't really understand so I tried again using other words, and then he replied, "why you always want cheap kee niao". I never mentioned the price with a word, just wanted to know what was the difference between the 3 sandwiches. Before I walked out I mentioned it to the girl that seemed in charge, she didn't seem to care either. The staff in the Subway on Beach Road is really friendly. Not sure what to deduct from that.

I love your signature line, but unfortunately I have already arrived at the "end", and I'm not yet dead. Must be a better way to time it facepalm.gif.

the subways in Pattaya are a franchise owned by a brit called simon.

one assumes he won't be happy to read this

people in pattaya that make sweeping generalizations that are meant to apply to all of us who live here in 10 square kilometres of Pattaya but are only based on their experiences within their own 25 square metres space

• Like 1

Farangs speaking to Thais in broken English or strange accent. <deleted> speak normally they do understand.

Even worse than this, farangs talking to each other in broken English e.g " I go shop now" or "she no speak"

Absolutely hilarious, All over Thailand though not just in Pattaya.

Specifically in Pattaya it has to be the 7 eleven on Chaiyapruk rd near Jomtien 2nd road, the combination of rude staff, obnoxious Russians and labourers from the seven sea's site has me going an extra 5 mins to the one near the beach, used to come out absolutely fuming every time.

• Like 1

people in pattaya that make sweeping generalizations that are meant to apply to all of us who live here in 10 square kilometres of Pattaya but are only based on their experiences within their own 25 square metres space

LOL. People who live 10 km away from Pattaya who still insist they live in Pattaya and then get upset because most of us don't know or care what goes on way out there.biggrin.png

(Let's keep this lighthearted. No flames please)

People who live 10km away from Pattaya and complain traffic to Tesco is terrible

I live (as the crow flies) about 3km from foodland, I aborted my attempt to go there late Saturday afternoon as after almost 1.5hrs in traffic it was becoming obvious I would not get there in time to buy food for dinner.

Farangs speaking to Thais in broken English or strange accent. <deleted> speak normally they do understand.

Even worse than this, farangs talking to each other in broken English e.g " I go shop now" or "she no speak"

Specifically in Pattaya it has to be the 7 eleven on Chaiyapruk rd near Jomtien 2nd road, the combination of rude staff, obnoxious Russians and labourers from the seven sea's site has me going an extra 5 mins to the one near the beach, used to come out absolutely fuming every time.

The thread is about things that grate on you, not what you find "hilarious".

LOL. People who live 10 km away from Pattaya who still insist they live in Pattaya and then get upset because most of us don't know or care what goes on way out there.biggrin.png

(Let's keep this lighthearted. No flames please)

you are incorrect, i do not live 10 km away from Pattaya

i said i live IN the 10 SQUARE KILOMETRES of Pattaya

that could be anywhere from near Naklua to Na Jomtien,or Beach road to Mabprachan

if you are going to keep chipping at me Tropo at least try to be accurate and quote me accurately when you do so biggrin.png

Edited by blackman

Nice one smartarse, obviously no humor is allowed on here, go back to bed

Nice one smartarse, obviously no humor is allowed on here, go back to bed

It's up to the Mods what is allowed or not! I wasn't trying to be smart, I was genuinely surprised that something which is funny would also seem to grate! Quite why people would get annoyed by other people's conversations and poor English, is beyond me.

The less verbs and those other kind of words (nouns and other kinds) the better. I mean why say 'I shall go now', if you can say 'I go' and everybody understand that you are going 'now' cos you are standing up and going. English has so many useless words.

'I go Bangkok, I come back two days' works well. No need to go into confusing 'Depending if I find available volunteers around the Palace after 10PM , and I will find affordable hotels around there, I may stay for a bit longer'. It helps if you yourself can't speak English well in the first place, so some of us have natural advantage

smile.png

Edited by valgehiir
  • Like 1

No one speaks English correctly. No one can even decide what is correct and what is not. You can find long threads in English forums debating the usage of single words and no one can agree. English is the most f***ed up language on the planet and deserves to be butchered if that is even possible.

IMO, on average, Brits are the worst English speakers, Americans the best.