A Government Of The People Should Not Threaten

Lite Beer

EDITORIAL
A government of the people should not threaten
The Nation

BANGKOK: -- Ministers have been getting overly sensitive and protective recently; they should learn some humility

About a week ago, Deputy Prime Minister Plodprasop Suraswadi threatened to arrest protesters who showed up at the 2nd Asia-Pacific Water Summit in Chiang Mai. He compared to them to "garbage", suggesting that there was no place for them and that their concerns and opinions were worthless.

Apparently, the chairman of the Water and Flood Management Commission didn't want to have any unwanted incident at the summit - knowing that the media spotlight would be on him. Perhaps Plodprasop thought he was living in North Korea not in Thailand, where people - well most people at least - value this notion of freedom of expression.

But just as the dust in Chiang Mai had settled, the government found itself with another predicament that demonstrates that they have not learned much about anger management. Bad enough to have Plodprasop calling environmental activists "trash" and behaving dictatorially by threatening them with legal action.

Then, shortly after, the legal experts and big wigs in the Pheu Thai Party went on the record to state that they want to do something about the Guy Fawkes mask phenomenon - Thais or others on social media who oppose the Yingluck government in cyberspace.

What is mind boggling is the why this government is so thin skinned. The Pheu Thai sales pitch often claims it to be a government "of the people and by the people" - a line that they use to justify just about everything that they do, it seems. And yet, they are not willing to tolerate netizens using a well-known movie-based mask as their icon to criticise their work.

There is an old saying: If you don't mind, it don't matter. But apparently, the Pheu Thai people do mind, especially when the criticism involved their dear leader, Thaksin Shinawatra, the de facto leader of the party.

Never mind self respect or integrity, it was important for the Pheu Thai people to be the first to get off the block in defending Thaksin. It would be such a grave sin if they didn't defend his honour with all their might. Perhaps they are concerned that the

V-mask group could get out of hand and take their anti-government campaign from cyberspace and onto the streets. We have this before with the Yellow Shirt movement when a media personality went from old buddy of Thaksin to become one of his worst

enemies.

Today, this movement has hit a major roadblock as their leaders are facing criminal charges, something that confines their activities on the ground, not to mention that the move also faces a credibility problem.

But with the legal threat from the Pheu Thai leaders, it has become clear that not even cyberspace is a safe place for anybody wishing to voice criticism of the government's policies and activities, especially ones that centre around saving Thaksin from facing his criminal charges.

Anti-government movements around the world involve democracy to suit their needs. What sets Thailand apart with political action groups here is the level of hypocrisy. Supporters of the Pheu Thai Party cited democracy when they were in the opposition but now look the other way when their opponents are threatened with legal action and a possible clampdown.

Instead of showing anger and paranoia, perhaps the Pheu Thai Party should try a little humility and dignity. This shouldn't be too much to ask, especially if one claims to be a government for the people, of the people and by the people.

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2013-06-02

" What sets Thailand apart with political action groups here is the level of hypocrisy."

Isn't hypocrisy on all levels of society one of the major problems here?

When you put yourself above others, your hypocrisy is more easily seen.

• Like 2

Deputy Prime minister Plodprasop Suraswadi was WRONG in saying protesters are "garbage" and threatening arrest of protesters and their opinions are worthless is again WRONG!!!, I THINK HE SHOULD STEP DOWN AFTER APOLERGISING TO THE PEOPLE OF Thailand AND THE GOVERNMENT.

This article is WRONG with its comment, "The Pheu Thai sales pitch often claims it to be a government of the people by the people, IT IS!!!

The people of Thailand a democratically elected this government on 3 separate times, GET OVER IT! OR TRY TO TAKE GOVERNMENT WITHOUT A COUP!

"A government of the people" The 2005 general election the Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra Thai Rak Thai party won 374 seats out of 500 seats,

2006 Thaksin Shinawatra was OVERTHROWN in a military coup, NOT OF THE PEOPLE!!!

A "government of the people" as they (the people) elected this current party into power,

PTP won 265 seats out of 500 seats, the Democrat party won 159 seats, again GET OVER IT!!!

• Like 1

Deputy Prime minister Plodprasop Suraswadi was WRONG in saying protesters are "garbage" and threatening arrest of protesters and their opinions are worthless is again WRONG!!!, I THINK HE SHOULD STEP DOWN AFTER APOLERGISING TO THE PEOPLE OF Thailand AND THE GOVERNMENT.

This article is WRONG with its comment, "The Pheu Thai sales pitch often claims it to be a government of the people by the people, IT IS!!!

The people of Thailand a democratically elected this government on 3 separate times, GET OVER IT! OR TRY TO TAKE GOVERNMENT WITHOUT A COUP!

"A government of the people" The 2005 general election the Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra Thai Rak Thai party won 374 seats out of 500 seats,

A "government of the people" as they (the people) elected this current party into power,

PTP won 265 seats out of 500 seats, the Democrat party won 159 seats, again GET OVER IT!!!

What is so "wrong" about the comment "The Pheu Thai sales pitch often claims it to be a government of the people by the people"? I think that's a factual statement. It sets the stage for their argument. They claim this but do this instead.

Throwing about election numbers (as if those mean much in a system plagued with vote-buying) is irrelevant. The point of the entire article is that a government is for everyone...not just ones that voted them. They have to be accountable for decisions that will affect everyone in this country. Everyone should have a voice and not fear being silenced, ridiculed or prosecuted by the government.

This article is just stating the obvious. The fact that you seem bent out of shape about it says more about you than the person that wrote it.

It seems YOU did not read my opening sentence,,, AGIAN, what the deputy PM said is wrong and he should step down after the apologies are made to the Thai people and the government and this should NEVER happen again.

Yes everyone has an opinion and can voice them as long as it dose not exclude others rights.

Again if you don't like it then win then WIN the government by vote NOT by coup, or do you prefer a bloody coup to the democratic vote? Do you have the right to vote? Hmmm I wounder?

Politicians around the world have done and said some truly stupid things, politicians around the world have said some truly stupid things and Deputy PM is one of them.

Throwing around "vote buying" (your opinion)(can you prove it?) is not helping, and disrespectful of the peoples choice of government.

so the FACT is they have the approval of the MAJORITY of the people.

if you don't like it then go live and make comment in SYRIA, Turkey, or Afghanistan, because some(the minority) seem to not be happy to accept the(majority) peoples vote again and again and again...

What is so "wrong" about the comment "The Pheu Thai sales pitch often claims it to be a government of the people by the people"? I think that's a factual statement. It sets the stage for their argument. They claim this but do this instead.

Throwing about election numbers (as if those mean much in a system plagued with vote-buying) is irrelevant. The point of the entire article is that a government is for everyone...not just ones that voted them. They have to be accountable for decisions that will affect everyone in this country. Everyone should have a voice and not fear being silenced, ridiculed or prosecuted by the government.

This article is just stating the obvious. The fact that you seem bent out of shape about it says more about you than the person that wrote it.

It seems YOU did not read my opening sentence,,, AGIAN, what the deputy PM said is wrong and he should step down after the apologies are made to the Thai people and the government and this should NEVER happen again.

Yes everyone has an opinion and can voice them as long as it dose not exclude others rights.

Again if you don't like it then win then WIN the government by vote NOT by coup, or do you prefer a bloody coup to the democratic vote? Do you have the right to vote? Hmmm I wounder?

Politicians around the world have done and said some truly stupid things, politicians around the world have said some truly stupid things and Deputy PM is one of them.

Throwing around "vote buying" (your opinion)(can you prove it?) is not helping, and disrespectful of the peoples choice of government.

so the FACT is they have the approval of the MAJORITY of the people.

if you don't like it then go live and make comment in SYRIA, Turkey, or Afghanistan, because some(the minority) seem to not be happy to accept the(majority) peoples vote again and again and again...

Fact

At the last general election in 2011

PTP won 15.3 million votes

Democrats about 11 million votes

In 2011 there were 46,918,719 people eligible to vote

35,203,107 actually voted

So 20 million people who did vote did NOT vote PTP.

So PTP did NOT win a MAJORITY of the votes by about 5 million.

They only won 32% of the eligble votes or 43.4 of the total votes cast.

Neither figure is the MAJORITY of the people unless you are using Red Shirt mathematics where accuracy does not count or matter.

Source

http://www.idea.int/vt/countryview.cfm?CountryCode=TH

Are you aware that the people that were not in their province (due to work or other obligations)on the day of the vote they were not allowed to cast an absentee vote? so how many northern people that work in another province were prevented to vote. possible this counts for the 20 million NON votes cast? and who is responsible for this?

if you win an election even by ONE vote then is that not the majority?

Fact

Neither figure is the MAJORITY of the people unless you are using Red Shirt mathematics where accuracy does not count or matter.

Source

Are you aware that the people that were not in their province (due to work or other obligations)on the day of the vote they were not allowed to cast an absentee vote? so how many northern people that work in another province were prevented to vote. possible this counts for the 20 million NON votes cast? and who is responsible for this?

Were YOU not aware that people traveled back to vote.. You ask WHO is responsible.. Umm maybe the Government.... previous as well as current. Them have ALWAYS been the rules.

You ask "if you win an election even by ONE vote then is that not the majority?" NO. It's just a win.

PTP are in government fact, they won fact, get over it or ...CRY ME A RIVER LADY'S...

Fact

Source

Were YOU not aware that people traveled back to vote.. You ask WHO is responsible.. Umm maybe the Government.... previous as well as current. Them have ALWAYS been the rules.

You ask  "if you win an election even by ONE vote then is that not the majority?" NO. It's just a win. 

PTP are in government fact, they won fact, get over it or ...CRY ME A RIVER LADY'S...

You are correct PTP ARE in government. Now can you tell when they will actually govern for the sake of the Thai people in general?

Cry me a river is a great song... don't belittle it by having it in the same sentence as PTP and government :rolleyes:

Sent from my i-mobile i-STYLE Q6

• Like 2

I am quite aware the PTP are in power. Otherwise there would be protests (gasp !) all over the country and Bangkok would be blockaded and on fire. Also I would not be game to stick my card into a Bangkok Bank ATM for fear of having my hand crushed by red sledge hammer.

HMMMmmm Start governing for the good of Thai people?

Well I know so many working people are or were happier with getting a bigger (300 baht per day) salary,

unfortunately so many so many rich landlords and others have increased the rents eroding that increase.

An increase of uni graduates minimum salary Hmmm,

I as an employer am happy to pay a fair salary for my staff.

and "CRY ME A RIVER" is not that great of a song,

Well I know so many working people are or were happier with getting a bigger (300 baht per day) salary,

unfortunately so many so many rich landlords and others have increased the rents eroding that increase.

Were happier is correct. Because food and household stuff has also gone up. As it would.

And your last sentence just shows your being argumentative :rolleyes:

Sent from my GT-P1010 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

• Like 1

WHAT??? What was done to the red shirt protesters was NOT HEAVY HANDED? you are joking!!! how many shot? how many killed how many injured? MEN WOMAN AND CHILDREN!!! this sanctioned by hmmm whom? was it in power by default via coup? or do you justify military coup when the out come dose not suite you?

you keep dodging that one or do you selectively choose your HEAVY handedness on protesters?

Were happier is correct. Because food and household stuff has also gone up. As it would.

And your last sentence just shows your being argumentative rolleyes.gif

Sent from my GT-P1010 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

NO my last sentence it was said in 'jest' of a previous post.