2014 Yamaha FZ-09 847cc triple

mania

Just saw this bike for first time today as sales began in Europe. If Yamaha plays it right they have a great foundation to make sport and touring bikes for a decade. I just hope they could design them a little bit better that's all.

Touring! Is there somewhere to mount the panniers??? blink.png

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Just saw this bike for first time today as sales began in Europe. If Yamaha plays it right they have a great foundation to make sport and touring bikes for a decade. I just hope they could design them a little bit better that's all.

Someone will make them, there are for any bike.

What I meant to say, this is the first version introduced, then Yamaha can introduce a tourer, and even a sportier model leveraging an all-new light and performing base.

Edited by paz

Dear BSJ.

Are you serious? The number 1 manufacturer of touring / adventure panniers (hard and soft luggage) has his main manufacturing location in Thailand. And oops you can find a few more manufacturers in Thailand who produce panniers in Thailand...

Touratech is light-years ahead of anything in the worldwide accessories market, the company is even so important that companies like BMW will not release a new touring/adventure motorcycle without Touratech having a set of accessories ready

• Like 1

Dear BSJ.

Are you serious? The number 1 manufacturer of touring / adventure panniers (hard and soft luggage) has his main manufacturing location in Thailand. And oops you can find a few more manufacturers in Thailand who produce panniers in Thailand...

Touratech is light-years ahead of anything in the worldwide accessories market, the company is even so important that companies like BMW will not release a new touring/adventure motorcycle without Touratech having a set of accessories ready

Yes Richard I am serious about somethings: the food I eat, the company I keep and where I keep my money. Everything else is fluid!

Touratech maybe a big company but I haven't any inclination to pay skyhigh prices for their ugly panniers. You have to remember all the bikes I've had fitted with panniers came with panniers. I've only ever bought one set and they were cheap vinyl throw-over bags back in 1972 which I used infrequently for about 8 years.

Panniers have to look part of the bike.

post-63954-0-83257000-1380895105_thumb.p

post-63954-0-57652900-1380895126_thumb.j

post-63954-0-54971600-1380895148_thumb.j

post-63954-0-27281000-1380895202_thumb.j

post-63954-0-78930800-1380895235_thumb.j

post-63954-0-93160000-1380895254_thumb.j

post-63954-0-92571800-1380895277_thumb.j

post-63954-0-27753600-1380895298_thumb.j

Dear BSJ.

Yes Richard I am serious about somethings: the food I eat, the company I keep and where I keep my money. Everything else is fluid!

Touratech maybe a big company but I haven't any inclination to pay skyhigh prices for their ugly panniers. You have to remember all the bikes I've had fitted with panniers came with panniers. I've only ever bought one set and they were cheap vinyl throw-over bags back in 1972 which I used infrequently for about 8 years.

Panniers have to look part of the bike.

attachicon.gifCropperCapture1.png

attachicon.gifCropperCapture12.jpg

attachicon.gifCropperCapture15.jpg

attachicon.gifCropperCapture18.jpg

attachicon.gifCropperCapture36.jpg

attachicon.gifCropperCapture44.jpg

attachicon.gifCropperCapture42.jpg

attachicon.gifCropperCapture16.jpg

Agree for motorcycles like you show, the panniers should fit the bike, and you will not pay skyhigh prices for the panniers, you pay skyhigh prices for the whole bike... Any of the motorcycles in your picture available in Thailand for under 1.2 million THB?

• 2 months later...

It does sound good

Has everything...HP..Torque..Low weight ( for a bike this size today )

Various modes fly by wire systems, triple, price

Needs suspension & brake tuning...but most stock bikes need the same

Edited by meechai
  • Like 2

It does sound good

Has everything...HP..Torque..Low weight ( for a bike this size today )

Various modes fly by wire systems, triple, price

Needs suspension & brake tuning...but most stock bikes need the same

cool bike and we might see ti here around 500 k if Yamaha brings it here. I hope that!

But reviews claiming snappy throttle and bad fueling that kills the joy of riding this nice machine.

check the reviews.

I would much prefer this bike over the new 4-cyl Honda.

I think many would

I think this bike compares more with the Ducati Hypermotard *SP* than the

650 Honda.

In fact its main numbers such as Weight,HP & Torque are near identical

HP SP-110 Yam 113

Weight SP-428 Yam 414

Torque SP- 65 Yam-64

Question is will it come to Thailand & at what price?

Edited by meechai

The FZ-09 is a very good budget bike, all reviews have been great, especially when considering the low price...only $7999 in America! But to compare it to a Hypermotard SP is a bit silly, apples and oranges with the SP being a far superior bike. Hope Yamaha Thailand sell it here at a reasonable price, if Suzuki can sell a Japanese made V-Strom for 350k then no reason this couldn't be a similar price.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

I test rode the new yamaha a few weeks ago in Uk its very very good , maybe even nicer than a street triple i borrowed last year , i has made in japan on the frame , I think it will get to thailand in 2015 for 450k,

also triumph are now in the process of renegotiating the BOI contract andThai distribution network should be some good news in 2015 as its all linked to the new Asean FTA and triumphs new India factory and the new 250 which will be sold in thailand

• Like 2

But to compare it to a Hypermotard SP is a bit silly, apples and oranges with the SP being a far superior bike.

Suspension & brakes I agree far superior on the Duc

But in the actual riding world I do not see much difference after that

As the numbers I posted above which are main factors in any bike indicate it equals or better in those

Then both have a steel frame. no advantage

Operating costs? a No Brainer the Yamaha will be far cheaper to service/maintain

Initial price? The SP is near a million baht isn't it? The Yamaha if it came would likely be under 600k ( double US retail) & maybe closer to 500k?

I do not think they are as far apart as they are near in specs

That's only 260,000 Baht. Wish it was that here... smile.png

biggrin.png If I were back in the US I would buy one today based on bang for the buck alone.

prefer to pay 1000 bucks more and get the Triumph Street triple.

As apart from fueling issues and snappy throttle, yamaha fz 09 looks like a cricket!

Edited by ll2

As apart from fueling issues and snappy throttle, yamaha fz 09 looks like a cricket!

These problems were real bad when you rode it?

A cricket? That is odd given your like of the 650 Honda?

img.jpg?id=22173&class=med640

img.jpg?id=22459&class=med640

It is a naked so to compare it to the Naked 650 I would say if the FZ is a cricket what is the 650?

cb650f-top.jpg

Also you say you prefer the Street Triple

I agree a good bike but you think it looks very different?

post-113252-0-90475000-1386929962_thumb.

Edited by meechai

But to compare it to a Hypermotard SP is a bit silly, apples and oranges with the SP being a far superior bike.

Suspension & brakes I agree far superior on the Duc

But in the actual riding world I do not see much difference after that

As the numbers I posted above which are main factors in any bike indicate it equals or better in those

Then both have a steel frame. no advantage

Operating costs? a No Brainer the Yamaha will be far cheaper to service/maintain

Initial price? The SP is near a million baht isn't it? The Yamaha if it came would likely be under 600k ( double US retail) & maybe closer to 500k?

I do not think they are as far apart as they are near in specs

The Yamaha frame is aluminium, not steel.

These problems were real bad when you rode it?

A cricket? That is odd given your like of the 650 Honda?

img.jpg?id=22173&class=med640

img.jpg?id=22459&class=med640

It is a naked so to compare it to the Naked 650 I would say if the FZ is a cricket what is the 650?

cb650f-top.jpg

Also you say you prefer the Street Triple

I agree a good bike but you think it looks very different?

attachicon.gif2013-Triumph-Street-Triple-R-06.jpg

wow wow, slow down meechai!

discussions over tastes, pleasures and colors of this world move us nowhere my friend.

i might find it like a cricket but you might find it as a tiger.

besides, i dont fancy cbr650f design either especially that big ass rear end and i stated that before.

and i read some reviews about some problems the bike might have but did you have something to say bike has no problems?

so you say there were no problems while you were riding this bike, huh?laugh.png

and street triple r feels different when you look at it

Edited by ll2

discussions over tastes, pleasures and colors of this world move us nowhere my friend.

besides, i dont fancy cbr650f design either especially that big ass rear end and i stated that before.

and i read some reviews about some problems the bike might have but did you have something to say bike has no problems?

so you say there were no problems while you were riding this bike, huh?laugh.png

smile.png no problems I thought your the guy that always admonishes others

about how they cannot say anything if they have not ridden or owned the bike.

Maybe that was someone else? Kor Tort wai.gif

I would much prefer this bike over the new 4-cyl Honda.

I think many would

I think this bike compares more with the Ducati Hypermotard *SP* than the

650 Honda.

In fact its main numbers such as Weight,HP & Torque are near identical

HP SP-110 Yam 113

Weight SP-428 Yam 414

Torque SP- 65 Yam-64

Question is will it come to Thailand & at what price?

Why compared it to the SP? The standard Hypermotard would be more like it.

I think you got the HP wrong, Hyper is 110 and Yam is 106.

That being said, on the video clip it looks quite good and it sounds fantastic too.

A bit too wild for me, prefer both tires on the road nowadays.

It would be great if Yamaha and Triumph would start selling at prices in Thailand most people could live with.

Why compared it to the SP? The standard Hypermotard would be more like it.

I think you got the HP wrong, Hyper is 110 and Yam is 106.

It would be great if Yamaha and Triumph would start selling at prices in Thailand most people could live with.

I originally thought the SP had more HP but now I look at Ducati's site & see yes

both the SP & the regular Hyper both have 110 hp & 65.8 lb of torque

So yes could use the regular Hyper as a compare

But no the Yamaha is listed at 113-115hp afaik also torque almost identical at 64.5 lbs

Yamaha also 14-22lbs lighter than both models of Hyper with full tank of fuel.

I sure agree about the lower prices!

Edited by meechai

Seems the snappy throttle someone mentioned is dependent on which mode you choose.

The snappy "A" mode would be considered fun to some but if too much too handle the

softer "B" mode seems to be "smooth, precise and steady throttle control" in town driving when one might find it too sporty.

Remember we said earlier about the FZ-09 still doing one thing for you? That one thing is: wheelie. All you have to do is tell it when (by grabbing a handful of throttle… well, not necessarily a handful) and up she goes. The front end climbs without much coaxing from any other part of your body (or even from the clutch for that matter) but does so in a very controllable manner - more so in B mode than either the Standard or A modes the FZ-09 has to offer. We’re referring to the FZ-09’s YCC-T (Yamaha Chip Controlled – Throttle) three-way Drive-Mode variable throttle mapping, which can be adjusted on the fly via a small button on the handlebar. Standard and A options are both pretty aggressive, bordering on overly snappy. Barely crack the throttle and it’ll jump out of your hands if you’re not gripping the bars tightly, especially in the most aggressive A mode. But in B mode, the softest setting of the three, the motor gets noticeably more manageable, while still rendering easy roll-on second-gear wheelies. The B setting was also by far the mode of choice for the congested streets of San Francisco, where you want smooth, precise and steady throttle control while you’re squeezing through stop-and-go traffic.

http://www.cyclenews.com/366/22362/Racing-Article/First-Ride--2014-Yamaha-FZ-09.aspx

Edited by meechai

smile.png no problems I thought your the guy that always admonishes others

about how they cannot say anything if they have not ridden or owned the bike.

Maybe that was someone else? Kor Tort wai.gif

But i did not say i believe what articles say!

Just passing words meechai.

Do you only want us to say: 'what a nice bike' ?

You remind me someone i know and respect from this forum before by the way. I hope you are that person.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

But i did not say i believe what articles say!

Just passing words meechai.

Do you only want us to say: 'what a nice bike' ?

You remind me someone i know and respect from this forum before by the way. I hope you are that person.

I just thought it was a funny pot calling kettle black kind

of deal after just previously reading this...

My point is to show that it doesnt seem to maintain 180kph for everyone as in post 2 of this thread.

Really?

I really cannot understand people who do not own this bike but coment from someone elses posts at other forums. Maybe they guy does not know how to use the power band etc.

Of course I think anyone can say what ever is their opinion

But I had just read the thing I quoted & it is basically the exact same deal in reverse.

Some "heard" something & posted it. Which should have been fine

Edited by meechai