The Ashes Tour 2013

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The lad's doing well.

He was given a life, though, when on 10.

Everyone thought his foot was in the air when Prior whipped the bails off.

Everyone except the man whose decision mattered, that is!

Lunch is delayed. Currently playing on until 1:30 or the last wicket falls. Reckon it'll be 1:30!

Agar, 50 runs from 50 balls.

Quick reminder to all... You should be able to watch the Ashes, where ever you are, free, through this site.

http://www.wiziwig.tv/broadcast.php?matchid=208283∂=sports

Anyone got a guess how many runs Australia will get?

Im tipping 300. Currently 4-103

I love it Bookman. laugh.png:lol:

If I had just waited a couple more overs...

Your prediction is still alive. Some others like the British commentators may still eat their words. Still a long way to go. 9/229 at lunch. A lot better than 9/117

• Like 1

I would have loved to have davy warner playing in this test the way its paning out.

Sometimes its not about technique but about scoring runs and when a number 11 (congratulations) can be the highest scorer,it makes a mock of the talented batting line ups.

• Like 1

Some others like the British commentators may still eat their words.

Not just them. You should have heard what the Australian commentators, including Glen McGrath, had to say on TMS about Australia losing 5 for 8 in 32 balls!

What can stop Agar getting 100? Far as I can see, only Hughes getting out!

• Like 1

Quick reminder to all... You should be able to watch the Ashes, where ever you are, free, through this site.

http://www.wiziwig.tv/broadcast.php?matchid=208283∂=sports

Anyone got a guess how many runs Australia will get?

Im tipping 300. Currently 4-103

Many thanks for posting the link.....good picture so far!

• Like 1

Ashton Agar! Just 2 short of his century! Ahhhhh...the let down.

Also...

*World record partnership for the 10th (any country) wicket with Hughes. Previous record 151!

*Highest score ever by a #11 for any country! Previous record 95.

• Like 2

has Carmine started doing his Sir Les Patterson impressions yet Smokie ?

He's been in drag all day possum! tongue.png

What's going on. boys?

Dr Frankenstein brings me back from the crypt and the English bowlers have lost 163 runs to take the last wicket. Should've got a bowler from Liverpool, they'll take anything

SC

• Like 1

Englan in disarray , such poor captaincy. Hopefully, this will be a kick up the ass for all of the players. 11 for 2 awful.

Bit hard when you only have 3 fit bolwers to choose from.

The otherside is nothing like having a root then going for a trot,which makes you hungry,we need a cook next.smile.png

The third umpire, Mr Erasmus, could not be sure whether Agar's foot was down or not so gave him the benefit of the doubt.

He could not be sure whether Trott had edged the ball or not because the side on hot spot wasn't working. So, he overturns Aleem Dar, the onfield umpire, who'd said 'not out, because he thought Trott had edged it, and gives Trott out lbw!

Very strange.

Not to take anything away from Agar's knock; a superb performance and feel so sorry for him that he did not get 100.

But don't forget Hughes's contribution.

The third umpire, Mr Erasmus, could not be sure whether Agar's foot was down or not so gave him the benefit of the doubt.

He could not be sure whether Trott had edged the ball or not because the side on hot spot wasn't working. So, he overturns Aleem Dar, the onfield umpire, who'd said 'not out, because he thought Trott had edged it, and gives Trott out lbw!

Very strange.

Not to take anything away from Agar's knock; a superb performance and feel so sorry for him that he did not get 100.

But don't forget Hughes's contribution.

We have to accept the umpire's rule, whether it be in referenda, test matches or the Superleague. Let us just hope that the rules are fair and the referees impartial, and highlight where there may be suspicion that they are not.

At first, I thought this link was relevant, but perhaps you can prompt me why

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/544676-by-special-request/#entry6601598

SC

To my mind England are back in the driving seat having avoided losing any more wickets in the fading light.

Quality batsmen in the light should build up a decent lead and we have seen the difference in quality of bowling on this pitch.

As the day passes it will favour the bowlers more....and the Aussie batsmen are average at best.

Mind you I am admitting I'm a novice....hell as a Scot I know less than a Kiwi about the game! tongue.png

To my mind England are back in the driving seat having avoided losing any more wickets in the fading light.

Quality batsmen in the light should build up a decent lead and we have seen the difference in quality of bowling on this pitch.

As the day passes it will favour the bowlers more....and the Aussie batsmen are average at best.

Mind you I am admitting I'm a novice....hell as a Scot I know less than a Kiwi about the game! tongue.png

Australia had England at a good position 2/11... Their bowling is their strength so we really need to capitalise when we can.

And you're right Smokie. The AUstralian batsmen are fairly average.

The top ranked batsmen for England and Australia as per the ICC World rankings

Edited by BookMan

Australia has launched its Ashes campaign by springing a major selection surprise on England, handing a shock Test debut to 19-year-old spinner Ashton Agar.[/size]

The left-armer finger spinner has been catapulted into the team after just 10 first class matches and is the 12th youngest Australian Test debutant.

He was presented with his Baggy Green cap, No. 434, by former Test great Glenn McGrath in a team huddle on the field at Trent Bridge.

http://www.smh.com.au/sport/cricket/rookie-spinner-agar-making-test-debut-20130710-2pqb4.html

A good West Aussie lad.

Good move by the selectors methinks. Agar can bat and doesn't seem to get over-awed.

I think Lyon was only fair at best so a good move by Boof and Marshy in promoting some youth.

Wow, "my boy" did ok :-)

Edited by Will27
  • Like 1

Australia had England at a good position 2/11... Their bowling is their strength so we really need to capitalise when we can.

... through no fault of their own. Very poor decision-making by 3rd umpire to overturn the on-field decision on Trott (especially when you could SEE the ball move) and, as above, gives the kid the benefit of the doubt when his backfoot was probably out of crease. And was Root really out? Absolutely cracking game so far, but so easy to spoil it when they mess about, for either side.

Despite potentially being out at 6, twas indeed a good knock by the lad, though lets not forget he really had nothing to lose coming in at 11 with that scoreline. Though he's played at three, it'd be a different ballgame altogether to bung him in at 6 or 3 as some are suggesting. One thing's for sure, but, he made his countrymen look slightly ordinary, eh what what!

England seek answers from ICC after video review decisions go Australia's way

NOTTINGHAM: England claims it was robbed of Jonathan Trott's wicket in the worst of three contentious umpiring decisions during the first Ashes Test.

Trott was judged lbw by TV umpire Marais Erasmus during a critical patch of play before tea on day two.

The original decision, from on-field umpire Aleem Dar, was not out but the Australians asked for a review under the Decision Review System.

Advertisement

Fast bowler Jimmy Anderson said Trott was adamant he edged the ball onto his pad, and the decision was made despite there being no compelling evidence about a nick, and in the absence of a side-on angle from Hot Spot.

http://www.smh.com.au/sport/cricket/england-seek-answers-from-icc-after-video-review-decisions-go-australias-way-20130712-2ptqc.html