The Ashes Tour 2013

Before accusations of 'whingeing Poms' appear, I'd like to remind everyone that as the article linked to above, and others, makes clear; the English team were completely unaware of this incident at the time and certainly made no complaint.

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Before accusations of 'whingeing Poms' appear, I'd like to remind everyone that as the article linked to above, and others, makes clear; the English team were completely unaware of this incident at the time and certainly made no complaint.

eh? Why would anyone make the claim of whingeing poms for this situation?

The claim can be made for most situations, sure. But why would you think it would be made for this situation?

Because some seek any excuse to make it.

As your remark "The claim can be made for most situations, sure." makes clear!

Come on mate

You're starting to sound a tad paranoid.

So far this site has been pretty good (from both) sides

with a lack of abuse.

Sure you're going to get the odd "whinging Pom" comment

just like us Aussies get the "convicts and bogan" ones. Most

of the time they're generally good natured. And there's bound

to be some strong differences of opinion, especially in the heat of battle.

But in general, I think it's been pretty tame and I for one enjoy it.

I like reading your comments as I can see you have a love of the

game and your country.

Okey dokey, back to the cricket you soap dodgerbiggrin.png

Edited by Will27
  • Like 1

My ex-friend (he's an ex, because I would never be a friend with such a scornful disrespect for our good Pommy Chums) once said in the Pub.

'You know, Davy ole mate ... how do Immigration at Suvarnabhumi Airport know when a Plane of English arrive?'

I thought about it for a second and said ... 'A BA flight has landed?'

'Nah' was the retort ... 'It's when the pilot shuts the engines down and you can still hear the whinging*'

... goof.gif

* ... it's a silent 'g'

^^ Unfair Dismissal ... he's a volunteer.

Though, I know what you mean.

My understanding was that he works for the ABC, but was doing this as a volunteer ... hence being 'stood down' by Cricket Australia and not the ABC

Apparently, no-one else took offence, the Poms didn't either hear it or pick-up on it.

What he was guilty of was enjoying his job and being jocular ... a far cry from racial over-tones.

From Bookman's article above ...

"'There's a change of bowler at the Traeger Avenue end... it's Montyyy!'

That was it.

I fail to see how anyone could interpret my introduction of Monty Panesar as racial slurring.

Presuming that's all it was ... I hope common sense would prevail.

My understanding was that he works for the ABC, but was doing this as a volunteer ... hence being 'stood down' by Cricket Australia and not the ABC

Apparently, no-one else took offence, the Poms didn't either hear it or pick-up on it.

What he was guilty of was enjoying his job and being jocular ... a far cry from racial over-tones.

That was it.

I fail to see how anyone could interpret my introduction of Monty Panesar as racial slurring.

He was probably bobbling his head when he said it

• Like 1

That was it.

He was probably bobbling his head when he said it

Or eating Vindaloo for lunch

English Headlines

England duo Alastair Cook and James Anderson nominated for 2013 ICC Cricketer of the Year

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/cricket/england-duo-alastair-cook-and-james-anderson-nominated-for-2013-icc-cricketer-of-the-year-8979294.html

Australian Headlines

Michael Clarke shortlisted for ICC cricketer of the year

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2013-12-03/michael-clarke-shortlisted-for-top-international-cricket-award/5132494

My ex-friend (he's an ex, because I would never be a friend with such a scornful disrespect for our good Pommy Chums) once said in the Pub.

'You know, Davy ole mate ... how do Immigration at Suvarnabhumi Airport know when a Plane of English arrive?'

'Nah' was the retort ... 'It's when the pilot shuts the engines down and you can still hear the whinging*'

... goof.gif

* ... it's a silent 'g'

Oh cool, we're doing old jokes! Here's a Christmas one.

Why wasn't Jesus born in Australia?

Because they couldn't find three wise men and a virgin.

... goof.gif

* ... it's a silent 'g'

Prospects also look bleak for the second coming

• Like 2

... goof.gif

* ... it's a silent 'g'

Like.

Aggers and Boycott on TMS; reminds me a little bit of the good old days of Benaud and Boycott as a commentary team.

IMHO if there has ever been a better cricket commentator than Richie Benaud, I've never heard him.

• Like 1

I was reading today the drop in wicket looks dusty and might favour the spinners. Would have to favour England in that case with Swann and Monty.

I have often thought Australia played Lyon as a self imposed handicap but apparently he is the best we have

I reckon Peterson's due for a haul.

Flat pitch, aggressive batting style ... could be his match?

He could crack a ton for sure.

How about Warner though? He has been on fire with the bat and I think he is enjoying the verbal stoushes.

I think Australia will win in Adelaide.

I was reading today the drop in wicket looks dusty and might favour the spinners. Would have to favour England in that case with Swann and Monty.

If England have the balls to play both; the current management seem to prefer three pacemen and just one spinner.

If the pitch does look spin friendly, I'd go for Anderson, Broad, Panesar and Swann.

Which would be a shame for Bresnan; but the team comes first and he'll get his chance later.

Cook

Carberry

Root

Pieterson

Bell

Bresnan

Prior

Broard

Swann

Anderson

Monty

That's what I'd play if it looks like a spinning pitch.

Think they might go for Gary Ballance instead of Monty though & use Root a lot more as a bowler.

Edited by mad mary

I reckon Peterson's due for a haul.

Flat pitch, aggressive batting style ... could be his match?

He could crack a ton for sure.

How about Warner though? He has been on fire with the bat and I think he is enjoying the verbal stoushes.

I think Australia will win in Adelaide.

If you have a few coins to spare ... Australia to Win and Warner to score the most runs is paying $11

Just under 2 hours to go.

Before the Toss ...

Australia to Win - $2.70

Draw - $240

England to Win - $3.60

Do note that this is an Australian based site so naturally the odds would be tighter for Australia.

Not that I like a punt ... rolleyes.gif ... just that their odds reflect the favourite outcomes.

If anyone is interested, or even awake in the land of the soap dodgers ... Australia won the toss, elected to bat first, 2 small rain delays thus far.

Warner got off to a flyer, scoring better then a ball a run ... but nicked one and was out for under 30.

The English reckon our balls aren't round and have tested that theory one already with the Umpire.

But those Umpires are smart blokes ... not everyone gets to wear the white jacket and black trousers.

Oh ... I mean on the field ... I'm sure there are many Bar Staff dressed in similar attire.

Australia are 1/38 as I type.

You stay classy Cricket Australia!

Umm. [by the time most of you are reading this, Cricket Australia will surely have deleted this tweet. For the record, it showed four blokes in beards, patkas, and sunglasses, with the caption, "Will the real Monty Panesar please stand up?"]

Will the real Monty Panesar please stand up?!
— Cricket Australia (@CricketAus)

Honours even at the end of day 1, I reckon.

But if England had held all their catches?

Yep, I agree, about 50/50.

Like you said, I think if England had opened up an end

by getting rid of Clarke or Haddin, who know's?

We won't know until tomorrow I guess to see if any of them go on with it.