James Gandolfini, Sopranos star, dies in Italy aged 51

webfact

James Gandolfini, Sopranos star, dies in Italy aged 51

Gandolfinigfdl.PNG

Gandolfini on February 19, 2007

File photo, source: wikipedia.org

LONDON: -- James Gandolfini, the US actor best known for his role as the mob boss in The Sopranos, has died at the age of 51, the HBO TV network has confirmed.

Gandolfini died of a possible heart attack while on holiday in Rome, the network told the BBC.

According to TMZ website, New Jersey-born Gandolfini went to Italy to attend a film festival in Sicily.

He won three Emmy awards for his role as Tony Soprano, a mafia boss juggling his criminal career and family life.

"It is with immense sorrow that we report our client James Gandolfini passed away today while on holiday in Rome, Italy," said his managers, Mark Armstrong and Nancy Sanders, in a statement.

"Our hearts are shattered and we will miss him deeply. He and his family were part of our family for many years and we are all grieving."

Full story: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-22980414

bbclogo.jpg
-- BBC 2013-06-20

HBO in Thailand showed 2 Sopranos episodes from Season 5, back to back, last night. I've seen them many times before, and in Thailand it's heavily censored which basically makes it meaningless, but watching Gandolfini and the rest of the cast, the superb writing, directing and music is always a pleasure. It was really strange to wake up this morning (get it?) and hear such sad and shocking news.

The best ever TV show and quite possibly the best ever TV dramatic performance. RIP.

• Like 2

Coincidently I have just downloaded the complete 6 series of the Sopranos for my gf to watch (She loves Breaking Bad, Walking Dead etc). I have seen them all and will now watch them again with a touch of sadness.

RIP Tony

Pretty shocking.

I actually thought he was older by now, at least over 60.

Yes he will be remembered for the Sopranos character, one of the shows that proved television is now a major art form in league with film.

I hope they get some REAL mafiosi to go to his funeral ... just for the drama.

• Like 1

Pretty shocking.

Yes he will be remembered for the Sopranos character, one of the shows that proved television is now a major art form in league with film.

yeah ive always wondered what the real mob bosses think of him and the show and whether producers solicited advice

Pretty shocking.

yeah ive always wondered what the real mob bosses think of him and the show and whether producers solicited advice

I remember reading how Robert Diniro and & Al Pacino were huge heroes among the real wise guys for glamorizing what is otherwise a pretty crappy profession. I imagine the same with Soprano. I'll miss Gandolfini as Tony - the mobster with issues.....

RIP Jimmy. The first season of "The Sopranos" was the best stuff I've ever seen on TV.

+1

The Shield was also a very good US made tv drama - good cop/bad cop. But being a proper bikie, i prefer SOA to even the Sopranos.

Whoever did the casting for Sopranos, did an amazing job finding him and hiring him from relative obscurity. The only problem was, he embodied his role so perfectly, that moving on from the show was always going to be very difficult for him. Still, with the show being as good as it was (although it did fall off in the last couple of seasons, and probably should have finished sooner), he had enough to be proud of. So sad to die so young. Young in this day and age anyway. RIP.

Very sad. From all reports, he was a great guy as well as a fine actor.

Certainly comes across as a decent guy on the clip blackman posted (thx for that).

Just finished watching the entire sopranos back to back and was really impressed. apparently in a recent interview Gandolfini spoke about the possibility of a movie to round out the sopranos story. Sadly now, not to be.