Smartphone sales skyrocketing in Thailand, THB25 billion sold in past year

webfact

Smartphone sales skyrocketing in Thailand, THB25 billion sold in past year
By Coconuts Bangkok

smarphones.jpg
Photo : A familiar scene on the BTS, by Praj Kiatpongsan.

Smartphones purchases are skyrocketing in Thailand.

BANGKOK: -- Sales of smartphones accounted for only 20% of all mobile phone purchases in the Kingdom two years ago – that number in the last 12 months has more than doubled to 42% with a total of USD800 million (THB24.88 billion) spent in the time period, according to a report by researcher GFK.

"Consumers demand for handsets has been growing successively every quarter since the second quarter of 2012, inflating the volume and value of the market considerably by 23 and 61 percent respectively in the past 12 months,” said Wichit Purepong, Managing Director for GfK in Thailand. “This growth has been purely contributed by smartphones, which registered the greatest spike of 24 percent in volume sales in the first quarter of this year over the quarter before.”

Interestingly, the Isaan region – traditionally Thailand's poorest – is showing the fastest growth of smartphone sales.

GFK found that smartphone sales across the 17 provinces of Isaan more than quadrupled (%344 growth) in the first four months of 2013 compared to the previous year. [more...]

Full story: http://bangkok.coconuts.co/2013/06/27/smartphone-sales-skyrocketing-thailand-thb25-billion-sold-past-year

cocon.jpg
-- Coconuts Bangkok 2013-06-27

• Like 1

" Interestingly, the Isaan region – traditionally Thailand's poorest – is showing the fastest growth of smartphone sales."

Now we know why the farmers in Isaan have so much debt-smartphones for all the family to communicate when they are in the rice fields.

"Another reason for the boom in sales is for the simple reason that smartphones are cheaper upcountry than in Bangkok. The average smartphone costs about USD300 (THB9,300) in affluent areas of Bangkok, but only USD230 (THB7,155) in Isaan."

Clearly buying different smartphones to me but in any case time to go to Issan with a shopping list with that much discount...

I oft ponder why they are called Smart phones.

They are mostly used to Twitter, FB and post on forums like Hi5 etc.

Seems a social addiction to expend cash to be able to express meaningless drivel at will anywhere any-time.

"Another reason for the boom in sales is for the simple reason that smartphones are cheaper upcountry than in Bangkok. The average smartphone costs about USD300 (THB9,300) in affluent areas of Bangkok, but only USD230 (THB7,155) in Isaan."

Clearly buying different smartphones to me but in any case time to go to Issan with a shopping list with that much discount...

I recently went shopping for a new laptop, new phone, went to Pantip, went to IT in Korat, Chayaphum, Sakon Nakhon, went to many places in Udon then met up with a friend in

Nong Kai, i found the prices were the same everywhere,, i think i'm missing something,, could you give me the name of some places that sell phones

cheap,, i travel all over Thailand so i can go anywhere, i would appreciate as i buy a lot of stuff.

I recently went shopping for a new laptop, new phone, went to Pantip, went to IT in Korat, Chayaphum, Sakon Nakhon, went to many places in Udon then met up with a friend in

Nong Kai, i found the prices were the same everywhere,, i think i'm missing something,, could you give me the name of some places that sell phones

cheap,, i travel all over Thailand so i can go anywhere, i would appreciate as i buy a lot of stuff.

Always better to spend 1,000 baht more and purchase from AIS, True, or an Apple or Samsung factory shop. Many of the phones sold at these little shops for small savings are grey market items, and you can have big problems with warranty issues, service, etc. I did. I was a nightmares. I wish I had spent the extra 1,000 baht and purchased from True.