So Called Police Visit House

Dan1026

Hi All

Spoke to the wife yesterday and she was saying she had 2 so called police come to the house asking if she wanted to bye tickets for a seat at one of the local hotels (can't remember which one she said). The tickets for the seats were for a head police officer from Bangkok coming to the hotel for a speech.

If i can remember she said they wanted 990Baht for each seat ticket of course she said that she didn't have any money as she believes they where scammers.

Has anyone else had these so called Police visit there houses in the past few days?

Regards

Dan1026

Years ago in the Chicago suburb where I grew up, the fire department came around selling tickets to the firemen's dance once a year. Nobody wanted to go dance with the firemen, but everyone bought tickets. Supposedly if you had a fire and hadn't bought any tickets the fire trucks could take a long time trying to find your house.

Edited by Suradit69
  • Like 1

Years ago in the Chicago suburb where I grew up, the fire department came around selling tickets to the firemen's dance once a year. Nobody wanted to go dance with the firemen, but everyone bought tickets. Supposedly if you had a fire and hadn't bought any tickets the fire trucks could take a long time trying to find your house.

A hot ticket there then.

I would buy for sure you can have a beer?

In America it's an age old scam, in which telephone solicitors call, saying they are from the Policemens Benevolent Association, (or something similar in tone and intent) and they want you to send money so some underprivileged child can go to "the circus". They are poised at the other end, ready to take down your credit card information. You might look on your local arts & events calendar and see that no circus is scheduled to come to your area for quite some time. Hmmmm...

These guys make it sound like they are actually members of of some police force, manning the phones on their own free time. Sometimes, you are actually speaking to a convicted felon, live from some prison. Really! If you balk, or ask too many questions, they make it sound as if you might be marked down as someone not in favor of your local police.

Think about it: how is it going to help any young person, rich or poor, to be taken to a circus? If it were the wonderful Cirque du Soleil, that is different, and most worthwhile. Upshot: it's BS. It amazes me how hard some people will work to obtain money by deceit and treachery. It's the same game the world over.

I was asked if I wanted a ticket for a policemans ball-------- I did not know if it was a dance or a raffle

The Secret Policeman's Ball is the collective name informally used to describe the long-running series of benefit shows staged in England to raise funds for the human rights organisation Amnesty International. The shows started out in the mid-1970s primarily as comedy galas featuring popular British comedic performers and later expanded to include leading musical performers.

In America it's an age old scam, in which telephone solicitors call, saying they are from the Policemens Benevolent Association, (or something similar in tone and intent) and they want you to send money so some underprivileged child can go to "the circus". They are poised at the other end, ready to take down your credit card information. You might look on your local arts & events calendar and see that no circus is scheduled to come to your area for quite some time. Hmmmm...

These guys make it sound like they are actually members of of some police force, manning the phones on their own free time. Sometimes, you are actually speaking to a convicted felon, live from some prison. Really! If you balk, or ask too many questions, they make it sound as if you might be marked down as someone not in favor of your local police.

Think about it: how is it going to help any young person, rich or poor, to be taken to a circus? If it were the wonderful Cirque du Soleil, that is different, and most worthwhile. Upshot: it's BS. It amazes me how hard some people will work to obtain money by deceit and treachery. It's the same game the world over.

Possibly, but it's also a "legitimate" way of raising money. I'm sure the scammers are out there, too. Probably not a good idea to go around collecting funds for the police in smaller towns where you're easily spotted. They'd take a dim view of it.

Lots of smaller towns do it and you're face-to-face with the firemen or policemen hitting you up for money. Back when I was young the guys who came around selling tickets were known to you and you to them, and as can be seen it's the sort of thing that goes on today.

post-145917-0-38005800-1372862384_thumb.

post-145917-0-18562000-1372862400_thumb.

Edited by Suradit69

Years ago in the Chicago suburb where I grew up, the fire department came around selling tickets to the firemen's dance once a year. Nobody wanted to go dance with the firemen, but everyone bought tickets. Supposedly if you had a fire and hadn't bought any tickets the fire trucks could take a long time trying to find your house.

Supposedly?? Now there's some iron-clad proof.

Edited by HerbalEd

While we're on the subject, though slight deviation. Anyone on here come across the fake music police? A friend of mine has a small shop and they were raided, when his missus was alone, muscled in 10 or so Thai guys, took her to the local cop shop where the BIB turned a blind eye. They wanted 100k initially, finally letting her go with a 27k payment. She'd played music on you tube via lap top one time! Another friend with a bar got done, and even though he now has all the licenses, they've been again. This time he took a picture and told em to xxxx off. Anyone else had this bullshit?

Edited by metisdead
Profanity

I always have Thais stopping at my gate trying to sell me something or asking for money for some service e.g. garbage fees, street cleaning fees. Every time the garbage men see me they just shout "whiskey". I buy them a bottle once per year as well as a bottle for the motorcyle taxi guys

I always have Thais stopping at my gate trying to sell me something or asking for money for some service e.g. garbage fees, street cleaning fees. Every time the garbage men see me they just shout "whiskey". I buy them a bottle once per year as well as a bottle for the motorcyle taxi guys

Care to divulge which m/b taxi guys? So we can avoid using them! whistling.gif

While we're on the subject, though slight deviation. Anyone on here come across the fake music police? A friend of mine has a small shop and they were raided, when his missus was alone, muscled in 10 or so Thai guys, took her to the local cop shop where the BIB turned a blind eye. They wanted 100k initially, finally letting her go with a 27k payment. She'd played music on you tube via lap top one time! Another friend with a bar got done, and even though he now has all the licenses, they've been again. This time he took a picture and told em to <deleted> off. Anyone else had this bullshit?

This is one that has been going around Thailand for years, if you use the search function on the Forums and put "Music Police" then it will give you more info

• Like 1

While we're on the subject, though slight deviation. Anyone on here come across the fake music police? A friend of mine has a small shop and they were raided, when his missus was alone, muscled in 10 or so Thai guys, took her to the local cop shop where the BIB turned a blind eye. They wanted 100k initially, finally letting her go with a 27k payment. She'd played music on you tube via lap top one time! Another friend with a bar got done, and even though he now has all the licenses, they've been again. This time he took a picture and told em to <deleted> off. Anyone else had this bullshit?

i know two businesses on soi 102 that got done for this about 2 months ago. one farang restaurant and one farang bar. They were taken to the local nick tho and held until they did come up with the payment. the guy at the bar told me it was because they looked at his youtube history in his browser, and so knew he had been playing tunes without a license. they had to pay about 25,000 and 40,000 i believe

are you saying that this was likely a scam, and that these guys just work with the police and use their police station as part of the set up?!!

i know two businesses on soi 102 that got done for this about 2 months ago. one farang restaurant and one farang bar. They were taken to the local nick tho and held until they did come up with the payment. the guy at the bar told me it was because they looked at his youtube history in his browser, and so knew he had been playing tunes without a license. they had to pay about 25,000 and 40,000 i believe

are you saying that this was likely a scam, and that these guys just work with the police and use their police station as part of the set up?!!

Yes it is a scam and as another poster said, do a search for music police.

Yes it is a scam and as another poster said, do a search for music police.

but with both of the people i mentioned, they took their thai mrs' down to the local nick, and would not release them until the money was paid. You still think it was all part of an elaborate scam?! incredible thailand.........

Went to see Seripisut speak at the Foreign Correspondents Club when he was national police chief under the Abhisit government. Boy was it a boring evening. The guy spoke in Thai through an interpreter but said nothing other than bland platitudes and obvious outright lies. The only educational value was in seeing for oneself how dishonest and creepy these guys really are.

• 3 months later...