scoopy, fino or click

nellyp

Noboby metions the new zoomer x. Reason for that?

Big Minus for Zoomer is the open storage under the seat. You can not store little things like mobile, portemonnaie, keys, whatever because you will lose it after 50 m driving.

post-693-0-25361700-1375935503_thumb.jpg

Its not about the bike...

Check which one has the best storage capacity... The click has near to nothing... I am not sure about the other 2...

When you need to store rain jackets, spare helmet or just need to space for some 7-11 groceries... The engine capacity etc dont even come into the equation....

Ride a PCX and then ride one of the other chosen bikes... You will find the PCX is just a fat pig compared to the others... Ive been riding bikes 30 + years and raced a few of them... In Thailand I have ridden many scooters and found some of the smaller ones caused terrible leg cramps.... I also yearned for a PCX when they came out... I rode one and hated the riding position, the weight distribution and awkward feel of it... Thank goodness I never wasted cash on it.... Then again, there are many here that will say otherwise and love them...

Buy the bike that suits your needs and dont worry about engine capacity etc.... They are all relatively the same. Check under the seat... That storage area may make the decision for you... :)

• Like 1

I bought a scoopy for the wife last week, her 4 year old fino was starting acting up and it was carbureted, so using a lot of fuel

Scoopy are okay for small persons I find it very cramped and takes my pcx150 any day.

The more I ride my pcx the more I like it, it is so perfect for Pattaya area.

There isn't a lot of difference between them. Let your wife pick. That will make her happy. It will probably be a Scoopy or a Fino and pink.

If you have to drive it, too, get a click; and not pink.

As others have said, as far as small scooters go, the PCX is probably the nicest ride. I personally would stay away from Vespa unless you want a hobby bike.

Sent from my HTC One X+ using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

For durability I think the Click would be the best choice, especially if you live in the countryside or where the roads are worse than usual.

I think of the Fino and Scoopy more as city bikes and probably more stylish than a Click. But like others have stated, avoid both if you are going to also drive it.

I think of a Vespa is a waste of extra money.

Personally I drive a Nuovo Elegance 135cc which I don't think they make anymore...but love it for the power it has.

PCX150. My wife is small and she has no trouble riding ours.

Just about to klick over 13k and no drama.

Gets high 30's to a litre, never fails to start, I find it comfortable to ride and good space under the seat.

Only down side is the back suspension is a bit weak for big faraNG and thai wife....but YSS XL units fixed that!

Up to 43k on my 2010 PCX 125 ... no trouble here either. I expect it to last longer than me!

Look at a Filano for your wife. Quiet, easy and cute. Bought one for my gal and her teenage daughter, they are small but carry alot and very easy to maneuver. I ride a big bike, but love scootering around on the lil filano. Inexpensive as well. Had ours almost 2 years and not one problem. Up to you, in

I rented a Filano last year. A fine bike but I found it too sluggish. My impression was its a 110cc engine similar to the Scoopy but on a bigger and heavier bike. No real reason to get this over a Scoopy. The fuel tank location is supposed to be the big innovation but its more of a gimmick. In real life its better to have a pocket there, like to scoopy and Fino have.

Fino has a rep for bad quality. Not exactly bad, actually, just not bulletproof like the Hondas. Two friends of mine bout used ones and had nothing but problems with them. Scoopy never had an issue and my own Honda wave had a grand total of one repair in the past 8 years - a new chain for 400 baht.

Yes, it is sluggish, but perhaps that helps prevents them from sprinting through the intersections. Great gas mileage. I put in only about 300 baht a month.The gas cap is near the steering post (inside) and saves them from getting up and opening the seat. That was the kicker for me. Its a ham and eggs scooter...but still cute. Not for the highways at all, admittedly.

Noboby metions the new zoomer x. Reason for that?

I might be interested in buying one but have not heard too many reviews, good or bad....

I bought one for my ex-GF and after separating I took it until leaving back home.

When I come back in November I again think of buying one because:

- it speeds up really fast at traffic lights, being the fastest in 19 out of 20 cases.

- it has really broad tires excellent for bad roads.

- the consumption is around 45-48 km/l (they state 52/l)

- the storage and transport capabilities are excellent (we bought a mesh cage for under the seat and a baggage rack for behind the seat).

- you find it fast even in big crowded parking's under all the Scoopy's, Mio's etc. as it's under 1% of the bikes driven.

The only minuses I have noticed:

- low end speed (95 running on even street, 105 downhill) due to the small tire diameter

- if driving on muddy street with small stones in the mud, these aggregate under the front apron which may lead to wheel blocking

- price was on the upper end when buying in December (incl. accessories bought nearly 60k).

Bye,

Derk

I bought a Click about 2 months ago, underseat storage is good, and as previously stated the hook is very handy.I got the top model and use it around town as it's so useful for a trip to the shop if you only want a few things. It goes well, and my missus is only short and 42kgs, she can manage it ok. Honda reliability, parking brake (which is another useful extra), combi brakes help too,54,000 so it's too bad.

One bad thing about the Fino that a friend of mine hates is that if the kickstand is down, it doesn't cut off the engine. Nearly crashed a few times after taking off with the kick stand still down.

He also has a scoopy and says it's much better and would never buy another fino. The Click is a much better bike than the other two but is about 10K more. So if it has to be a scoopy or fino, go for the scoopy. Get it in the classic plain colours so you don't look so much of an idiot riding it around with the terrible graphics that the others have.

Wife used to have a Fino and the only problem (apart from flat tyres) was that when I rode it it would de-coke itself and close the spark plug gap up and stop tongue.png ...have never ridden the other two so can't comment on them

I've ridden both Finos and Scoopys with around 2000-3000km on them. They have been then rattliest, clangiest scooters I've ever ridden. So much crap plastic that seems to be loosely held together with toothpicks. I can't imagine what they are like at 20k km.

I would never, ever, buy either.

All three are garbage compared to a Honda Wave 125. OK., the Wave doesn't look so stylish, but the larger wheels give it a much better ride. The bike and engine will easily outlast any of the elastic band fully automatic engines and the fuel economy is almost double -- Honda quote something over 70 kms to one litre of petrol. But the girls like to be seen riding the latest fashion accessory.....except my misses. We've had a Wave 100 for 7 years now and I've offered to replace it countless times and she steadfastly refuses to be seperated from it.

I have to say I bought a Honda Wave 110 2 -1/2 years ago for my first wife. I think it was the first of the Fuel injected models and was very impressed. Ideal for the rural situation with the big wheels. Also great around town or main roads. In fact I was so impressed that that I bought the same model last year for my second wife. Changed my wife but stayed with the same Bike. Just goes to show you should always stick to the things you can trust....lol. Two and a bit years ago was 37,500bht in Chumpuang Korat.. Last year cost me 39,000bht in Loeng Nok Tha, Yaso. Guess I'm drifting further East as I go.....

My wife loves it , she is slim 47kg and has no trouble riding it with two bags of rice and or fertilizer on the back. Only draw back? Yep you guessed it - the basket interferes with the effectiveness on the headlamp beam.

• Like 2

Hi Guys,

Have bought Scoopy, Fino, Filano and PCX 150 recently and still prefer scoopy actually. All 3 bikes install with topcase to keep extra helmet, raincoat and sometime my lappy when I need to bring them out for coffee.

Please check out our fan page for Coocase topcase if anyone interested wai.gif

https://www.facebook.com/coocasethailand

post-184157-0-86893400-1376001821_thumb.

post-184157-0-62552700-1376001832_thumb.

post-184157-0-63731700-1376001840_thumb.

post-184157-0-45405200-1376001857_thumb.

post-184157-0-25317400-1376001874_thumb.

post-184157-0-57407900-1376001888_thumb.

Are you aiming to have your wife killed, or just simply maimed?

You must be kidding, why would you even contemplate letting anyone you love get on a Motor Cycle here, have you noted the accident statistics?

Even if she isn't killed, she could be crippled for the rest of her life as a result of just a small road accident. I urge you and your wife, before you put her on "the seat to destruction" to go and visit a local Public Hospital, they probably won't let you look at Road Accident victims in the Mortuary but you should be able to "visit" the general Authopedic wards and have a look at people in traction, pins holding arms, legs, hips together.

As a journalist, I visited many such places over my working life and recently I spent time in hospital here having surgery on a non-traffic related shoulder injury. They told me that the overwhelming percentage of my fellow patients, were there as a result of road carnage.

There is no way I would allow my wife or daughter on a motorbike anywhere, but in particular, here in Thailand. Do yourself a favour, take your wife and have a look at some of these victims. If you love her, you won't let her anywwhere near a motor bike.

To be fair he is talking about scooters here not motorbikes. They are mainly for women pootling around on and no more dangerous than a decent bicycle.

Still don't like to see young kids on them though.

The best bike to get her is the bike she chooses. Otherwise, anything that may go wrong will be your fault. Take her shopping, let her make the decision, and you my friend will always be a happy man. Such is life.

Read the following first. http://www.thaitravelbug.com/products/negotiating-in-paradise/

Agree. Wife chose a Yamaha Fino. Looks a treat. Woman thing. Cute.

Hi Guys,

Have bought Scoopy, Fino, Filano and PCX 150 recently and still prefer scoopy actually. All 3 bikes install with topcase to keep extra helmet, raincoat and sometime my lappy when I need to bring them out for coffee.

You prefer a scoopy over a pcx?? You must be a small guy.

I take the pcx every time I go riding, the scoopy was bought for the wife. She once tilted on the pcx and she don't fell comfortable on it.

I been riding bikes for over 30 years, including HD's, fast Jap 600 cc's and I am very impressed how smooth the pcx runs but okay it's a city commuter bike and it does that very well, not enough power for the highway.

Yes lets the wife choose her own bike, she is gonna ride it so why not?

Thankfully my wife don't like pink, so mrs scoopy is blue/red/black and white and says "active boy" over the scoopy marker. Holly cow man I better not let some of my HD buddies see me on it, they gonna fell off their bikes from laughter, lol.

• Like 1

Hi Guys,

I take the pcx every time I go riding, the scoopy was bought for the wife. She once tilted on the pcx and she don't fell comfortable on it.

I been riding bikes for over 30 years, including HD's, fast Jap 600 cc's and I am very impressed how smooth the pcx runs but okay it's a city commuter bike and it does that very well, not enough power for the highway.

Thankfully my wife don't like pink, so mrs scoopy is blue/red/black and white and says "active boy" over the scoopy marker. Holly cow man I better not let some of my HD buddies see me on it, they gonna fell off their bikes from laughter, lol.

Agreed PCX is a smoother bike but maybe just the original seat which I choose to keep that make me feel uncomfortable having to sit upright position. As I usually ride just around Chiangmai city area and not much to the highway so Scoopy will be easier and smaller to move around. As for longer trip and more power guess I'll have to look for bigger bike, and actually still waiting for Honda big wing to open in Chiangmai and deciding whether Honda, Kawa or Ducati sad.png

Hi Guys,

Is it necessary to use a pejorative like "jap."

TV has Japanese members and this term is a racial slur.

It is considered offensive and totally inappropriate.

Are you aiming to have your wife killed, or just simply maimed?

You must be kidding, why would you even contemplate letting anyone you love get on a Motor Cycle here, have you noted the accident statistics?

Even if she isn't killed, she could be crippled for the rest of her life as a result of just a small road accident. I urge you and your wife, before you put her on "the seat to destruction" to go and visit a local Public Hospital, they probably won't let you look at Road Accident victims in the Mortuary but you should be able to "visit" the general Authopedic wards and have a look at people in traction, pins holding arms, legs, hips together.

As a journalist, I visited many such places over my working life and recently I spent time in hospital here having surgery on a non-traffic related shoulder injury. They told me that the overwhelming percentage of my fellow patients, were there as a result of road carnage.

There is no way I would allow my wife or daughter on a motorbike anywhere, but in particular, here in Thailand. Do yourself a favour, take your wife and have a look at some of these victims. If you love her, you won't let her anywwhere near a motor bike.

Unfortunately, this advice will probably be ignored by most. I'd say this advice applies to many things: Watch what Thai people do and then don't do it. I'd have her pick out a bicycle at the most and a motorbike-quality helmet with eye protection - air pollution protection would be a plus.

I bicycle? On Thai roads? THAT is a death sentence. At least if OP's wife is on a scooter she can keep pace with traffic. If she's on a bicycle they'll run her right off the street without thinking twice.

Slower does not always equal safer.

I've been bicycling in Bangkok for over four (4) years and it is my primary means of transportation. I get in traffic lanes as required for certain intersections and turns. I have upgraded my gearing to be medium-high so that I can maintain a higher speed in situations requiring it. I am effectively a slow motorbike when out there, but can go places they cannot. Slower is particularly dangerous when it is mixed, inappropriately, with higher-speed vehicles. However, by this formula: KE = Mv2 one is subject to higher kinetic impact forces by the square of velocity. This is a physical law, like the law of gravity that farangs encounter in Thailand all-to often. I see bicycles ridden by both Thai and foreigners on Bangkok streets all the time.

So ... you're buying her a scooter so that she can 'keep pace' with traffic, huh? One major advantage of a bicycle is that one does not necessarily have to 'keep pace' with traffic at all times and can avoid being in high-speed traffic altogether (KE = Mv2).

PS: It has dawned on me that a bicyclist needs most of the skills of a motor bike rider on the streets and some additional skills as well. What do you base your belief that traffic would run a bicycle off the road and not do the same to a motorbike in the same circumstances (probably did not see them because were in a blind spot) on? I have never been run off the road by a vehicle in four years of bicycling in Bangkok. I always use lights day and night, and sit taller than a motorbike rider - not so with the motor bikes.

Edited by MaxYakov

Hi Guys,

While I agree with you that "jap/Jap", the English abbreviation for Japanese, could be considered a pejorative (by many, according to Wiki), the 'race card' is getting pretty dog-eared these days don't you think? Also, could this be an example of oversensitivity and maybe even "group-think", since it is just a common-method abbreviation?

Here's what wiki says about it (it's classified as an "ethnic slur"}:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jap

Edited by MaxYakov

Hi Guys,

While I agree with you that "jap/Jap", the English abbreviation for Japanese, could be considered a pejorative (by many, according to Wiki), the 'race card' is getting pretty dog-eared these days don't you think? Also, could this be an example of oversensitivity and maybe even "group-think", since it is just a common-method abbreviation?

Here's what wiki says about it (it's classified as an "ethnic slur"}:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jap

It has nothing to do with oversensitivity.

It has to do with folks in 2013 still hanging onto a 1943 mindset. Many

young Japanese nowadays aren't even familiar with the term, but I am

fully aware of the connotation and I strongly object to it.

If someone called your daughter a derisive term and she didn't catch

the meaning, would that make it okay? Would you simply overlook it

since your daughter didn't understand?

Wikipedia is no authority. It's usually just one person's opinion.

Also, the proper abbreviation for Japan or Japanese is "Jpn."

http://www.allacronyms.com/JPN

Edited by BradinAsia

I have nothing against the Japanese, in fact I spend almost 6 weeks in Japan last year working and I was very impressed with both the people and the country itself, awesome.

That I call a Japanese bike a Jap bike have nothing to do with 2'nd world war mindset, I call a Ducati a Duke, a BMW a Bimmer and so on, it's just a nick name, if you find that hard to swallow I suggest you report me to the moderators, that is your right as a member.

• Like 1

I will refer to you with your correct name, Motoguzzi. I've got to agree that sometimes we can be a tad touchy for other people, but we don't really know what is going on inside their heads. Is a Brit bike better than a Jap bike? Could you imagine that conversation in Oz...yes? Would an Aussie take offenec at Aussie? We could go on forever. I do feel that pronouncing Jpn would be a bit difficult to say, and I'm Welsh, so I'm used to a lack of vowels. By the way you can call me a Taff and I won't be worried, but call me early and you can look out.wink.png

• Like 1