Where To Buy Fireproof Safe For Documents?

Does anyone know where to find a small fireproof safe in Bangkok? Office supply store? It always slips my mind when I'm in Thailand, so I'd like to plan ahead this time.

I'd actually settle for a lockable box that is large enough to hold documents without having to fold them, and can be chained to some furniture. My girlfriend has a terrible habit of bringing land and school documents in checked!! luggage because she's worried about leaving them in her apartment. Since her old apartment was broken into, I guess I can't blame her, but naturally I'm uneasy about her toting such important documents around.

Thanks

Well yes; office supply stores have them and there are many stand alone safe sales shops around the city.

But I would have second thoughts if this is because of theft problems as it will surly be the first thing taken and just the local word that she has this in her apartment will act as honey to the bee. Documents can be replaced and would have no value to most thieves. If she is paranoid a bank deposit box or a deposit box from some buildings that rent them out would seem safer to me.

Thanks.

I wouldn't call her paranoid at all as she just has them in her room so anyone on a regular day could take them. When she moved, her brother just put the bag on top of the pile in the back of the truck. I grabbed it since I knew what was in it, but otherwise it would have just been sitting on top. It's just that she brings it along on trips.

I'm not thinking of a large safe being wheeled in there, more of a file sized safe or a drawer safe, and ideally bolted/chained to the furniture. Just so that you'd have to know it was there, and would really have to work to get at it. Any stranger would probably just go for the TV and VCD player. If they take the box, then like you said, the documents can be replaced. But if I have to lay odds, I'd say checked luggage or sitting in a hotel room is worse than locked in a box in the room.

I don't agree but up to you as they say. In my view a safe is a prime attraction for another visit if they can not get it the first time (and most can and will). Most Thai have gold and jewelry that they keep in such things and the sight of one will make there mouth water. Papers lying on a shelf would be much less likely to be taken in my opinion.

Leeco. They have shops all over town, but have found the Seacon Square branch and Ratchadaphisek branch to have the best service. Installed the next day, set the combo yourself, no issues with 3 different safes and they are all over 5 years old. Advertised as fire proof to varying degrees, but have yet to test that capability. :o

And naturally, a safe is only an extemely limited degree of protection if you don't actually own your own home, buildings, and/or condo and can add other forms of protection (making a cement/steel housing for the safe, monitored security system, dogs, etc.).

:D