Buy a car in Thailand as opposed to a scooter?

NeverSure

It's a very difficult question to answer.

Do you love riding bikes and are you a skilled rider? If no, buy a 4 wheeled vehicle, consider a pick-up truck they are tough and relatively cheap.

If you love riding bikes (like me) you can have a lot of fun riding bikes here and many expats here are having all sorts of bikes from a modest Honda Wave 125 to a +1.5 Mill bath Harley Davidson.

I stopped riding big bikes (Harley) when my son was born but I still ride scooters as they are very practical for small errands and the truck next to impossible to park in Pattaya.

I think about +90% of expats in Thailand have scooters because they are so practical for daily use and cheap to buy/run but many have a car as well.

Yes it's risky business to ride a bike here but life is one big risk, you can stay in your condo and still die or you can be out on the road living your life with a big smile on your face.

What exactly is referred to as a "scooter" a Fino or Click? I have a Fino, and also a Honda wave 125. is that also a "scooter?
Im no expert but it has something to do with the engine placement. All the ones you name are scooters.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

I find that my Honda 125 is a lot more comfortable to ride on a long journey, and also a lot more economical than my Fino, I can hardly believe there is only a 15cc difference between them. In fact when I bought my Fino last year I was told it had a 115cc engine, it is customisd with a windshield and five headlights at the front.

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Do you love riding bikes and are you a skilled rider? If no, buy a 4 wheeled vehicle, consider a pick-up truck they are tough and relatively cheap.

If you love riding bikes (like me) you can have a lot of fun riding bikes here and many expats here are having all sorts of bikes from a modest Honda Wave 125 to a +1.5 Mill bath Harley Davidson.

I stopped riding big bikes (Harley) when my son was born but I still ride scooters as they are very practical for small errands and the truck next to impossible to park in Pattaya.

I think about +90% of expats in Thailand have scooters because they are so practical for daily use and cheap to buy/run but many have a car as well.

Yes it's risky business to ride a bike here but life is one big risk, you can stay in your condo and still die or you can be out on the road living your life with a big smile on your face.

What exactly is referred to as a "scooter" a Fino or Click? I have a Fino, and also a Honda wave 125. is that also a "scooter?

I would call the bikes without gears scooters and the others motorbikes. So the Wave would be a motorbike, the Click, even though bigger engine, a scooter.

Yes, I would agree with that, but the Honda is a good bit more powerful than the Fino or click, and has a bigger engine.

IMO: If you can afford a car its a no brainer.

You can't fall off a car !

Inclement weather doesn't really effect you in a car.... On a bike you are stranded.

You can't carry all your shopping on a bike !

Additionally: At some point you will have a girlie in the car / on the back of your bike... Do you really want to feel responsible if someone hits you?

But for the simplest reason: The likelihood of having a life impacting / chancing accident on a bike is exponentially greater on a bike.

in 15 years I've had 3 accidents in a car (none my fault) - If I was on a bike I would have been hurt.

Now: I'm not scared of getting hurt, I've been to hospital numerous times with sporting injuries... But, when deciding between a bike and car in Thailand the rule I apply is never to get on a bike, too many other people (mostly in cars) simply do not register the presence of a motorcycle.

Many people have had many accidents which 'weren't their fault', my experience is that 95% of accidents can be avoided if you remain alert and anticipate foolish actions by others. No it's not your fault if someone pulls out of a side turning and hits you BUT if you had assumed that the other vehicle WOULD pull out in front of you, then you would have been ready for it and could probably have taken avoiding action in time.

Inclement weather doesn't really effect you in a car.... On a bike you are stranded.

Additionally: At some point you will have a girlie in the car / on the back of your bike... Do you really want to feel responsible if someone hits you?

But for the simplest reason: The likelihood of having a life impacting / chancing accident on a bike is exponentially greater on a bike.

in 15 years I've had 3 accidents in a car (none my fault) - If I was on a bike I would have been hurt.

Now: I'm not scared of getting hurt, I've been to hospital numerous times with sporting injuries... But, when deciding between a bike and car in Thailand the rule I apply is never to get on a bike, too many other people (mostly in cars) simply do not register the presence of a motorcycle.

Many people have had many accidents which 'weren't their fault', my experience is that 95% of accidents can be avoided if you remain alert and anticipate foolish actions by others. No it's not your fault if someone pulls out of a side turning and hits you BUT if you had assumed that the other vehicle WOULD pull out in front of you, then you would have been ready for it and could probably have taken avoiding action in time.

Very true, but how can folk be so at-tentative 100% of the day. It cannot be. I would like to post a photo here of a bird on the phone who pulled out on a guy, it would shock most, the accident was purely cos the call was more important. sad.png

Very true, but how can folk be so at-tentative 100% of the day. It cannot be. I would like to post a photo here of a bird on the phone who pulled out on a guy, it would shock most, the accident was purely cos the call was more important. Posted Image

If you are not paying attention 100% of the time you shouldn't be driving.

Personally, when I hear "scooter," I think, "floorboard." I would consider a Fino, Click, Scoopy, PCX, etc. to be a scooter, and a Wave to be motorcycle (albeit a small one).

On the other hand some people call anything with a small engine a scooter. I've heard lots of people refer to Waves as scooters, either because of the small engine, or maybe because the underbone design doesn't look like what many would consider a proper motorcycle.

I drive a Wave and I've heard it called both. Thai people, of course, call them all motorcycles (including the scooters).

I think I'm only confusing myself more here. blink.png

Yes, I consider my PCX150 a scooter. I consider all made in Thailand "bikes" less than 150cc a scooter but off-course a CBR150 is a bike, you can't call it a scooter.

A Forza 300cc is also a scooter, right?

So in short, a scooter is a twist and go, a bike got gears and a clutch you have to operate manually.

Very true, but how can folk be so at-tentative 100% of the day. It cannot be. I would like to post a photo here of a bird on the phone who pulled out on a guy, it would shock most, the accident was purely cos the call was more important. sad.png

true... in Thailand.

In many European countries, the speed limits on highways make it difficult to keep the attention level high.

About scooter / motorcycle, I think a scooter is any 2 wheel motorized vehicle where the driver sits upright with the feet on a flat surface. I guess the motorized tricycles with a roof can also be included in that category.

So what happens if YOU sneeze ? coffee1.gif

• Like 1

OK - My three accidents:

1) I was turing right into an office building - As I turn right a car hits my drivers door (over taking)

2) I was stationary in a traffic jam exiting a car park - A car reverses straight out into my car.

3) I was driving slowly in a car park looking for a space - The car behind me overtakes me but doesn't judge the width of her car properly and scrapes the side of my car.

Avoidable ?

Realistically - the only way any of the accidents were avoidable were not to have been there !... someone can monday morning quarterback these accidents in an attempt to justify one of the points above - But there really was no way of avoiding them, definitely so for the two car park incidents. The turning right incident involved a mini-van who tried to overtake me after I had checked mirror, indicated, slowed and then commenced to turn right.. at that point a mini-van approached at speed and swung round the car behind me and only then perhaps spotted me when it was too late.

You can be 100% attentive but that doesn't help if someone else isn't. The only way accidents are avoidable is when everyone is 100% attentive and even then mechanical failure exists....

So: The person who claims that 95% of accidents are avoidable if the person who is hit remains alert and anticipates foolish manoeuvres is pulling the wool over his own eyes.... He's avoid accidents mostly out of luck and partially out of anticipation.

sorry, didn't read all the comments. I vote for car. I've seen too many bike accidents, bikers without proper jackets, helmets, pants, etc....and we all know too many people drive drunk. If you are over 50, just my opinion, I think your (in general, not you per say) reflexes go down and increases odds of a major accident. i knew a guy who was 60 and was hit by a car; 40 stitches. also, when you put groceries on your bike, more difficult. HOWEVER, if you really love to ride, of course do that. but if you really loved to ride, you wouldn't ask bike or car. anyhow, be safe. and then get a pedal bike to enjoy the 2-wheel experience.

Cars generally hold their value quite well. Buy something second hand, a few years old and the resale value will still be quite high relative to what you got it for.

Maintenence is cheap here, so it isn't a hardship to keep it in good working order.

OK - My three accidents:

1) I was turing right into an office building - As I turn right a car hits my drivers door (over taking)

2) I was stationary in a traffic jam exiting a car park - A car reverses straight out into my car.

3) I was driving slowly in a car park looking for a space - The car behind me overtakes me but doesn't judge the width of her car properly and scrapes the side of my car.

Avoidable ?

Realistically - the only way any of the accidents were avoidable were not to have been there !... someone can monday morning quarterback these accidents in an attempt to justify one of the points above - But there really was no way of avoiding them, definitely so for the two car park incidents. The turning right incident involved a mini-van who tried to overtake me after I had checked mirror, indicated, slowed and then commenced to turn right.. at that point a mini-van approached at speed and swung round the car behind me and only then perhaps spotted me when it was too late.

You can be 100% attentive but that doesn't help if someone else isn't. The only way accidents are avoidable is when everyone is 100% attentive and even then mechanical failure exists....

So: The person who claims that 95% of accidents are avoidable if the person who is hit remains alert and anticipates foolish manoeuvres is pulling the wool over his own eyes.... He's avoid accidents mostly out of luck and partially out of anticipation.

Exactly. Thinking you are such a great driver, or that there is something you can do or not do that you're never going to be involved in an accident is just silly.

There is a difference between paying 100% attention all the time and doing your stuff to drive correctly when in doing so some numnut ,say, does something stupid that a trained driver cannot avoid, or a trained driver would not do.

Plus, when I took my heavy goods vehicle test in UK, over 40 years ago, which lasted about one and a half hours whistling.gif , we were taught to look in both side mirrors ever 15 seconds, no glancing, one had to be seen to turn your head. To me, I thought it was a bit daft moving my head cos it took my eyes off the road momentarily. Soooooo, even a trained driver was not 100% paying attention to a particular part of ''driving'' .

Must add, the mirror thing has kept me safe-ish in LOS, BUT, I glance. smile.png ................. thumbsup.gif

We have the car and the scooter, the car is only used for the 2 hour drive to bkk when I go to work every 5 weeks or so, also used for the very occasional trip to the beach, if it weren't for that we'd hardly use the car at all, it did cross my mind as to whether it'd be cheaper much just to get a taxi to/from the airport when going to work and rent a car for the odd weekend beach trip,,,,