Five things farang men must stop wearing

Lite Beer

5 things Thai's shouldn't wear

1. Pyjamas when out shopping

2. Earmuffs when the temperature drops below 18c

3. Flip flops half the size of their feet (mainly aimed at the teenage men from "baan nok") who have only ever bought one pair in their lives and can't afford a new pair.

4. T-shirts with English profanities written on them

5. Stilletos with socks.

Can't agree with number 5. See: http://www.flickr.com/photos/inhighheels/6824672547/

• Replies 269
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You think this guy posed for this pic to be displayed for hundreds or thousands to see? I don't think so. Typical, let's see how foreigners look now and let's get the worst example possible. Ok. This guy works great. We can show foreigners are losers and everything that Thais say about foreigners is true.

Ok. Success. On to the next "let's make the foreigners look stupid" project.

High Five guys!!!

What <deleted> a-holes.

Edited by Nooky2

5 things Thai's shouldn't wear

1. Pyjamas when out shopping

2. Earmuffs when the temperature drops below 18c

3. Flip flops half the size of their feet (mainly aimed at the teenage men from "baan nok") who have only ever bought one pair in their lives and can't afford a new pair.

4. T-shirts with English profanities written on them

5. Stilletos with socks.

Can't agree with number 5. See: http://www.flickr.com/photos/inhighheels/6824672547/

I'd look a right raj, wearing stilletto docs. Unless they were the big 18-holes, but they take too long to lace.

I guess some of us just value practicality and comfort higher than fashion

5 things thais must stop wearing

1. " i love my people" t shirt unless willing to change " people" for " baht"

2. " Brown uniforms " pigs dont need clothing.

3. "Red and yellow shirts " cant we just all get along??

4. " tramp stamps " yes we know you are from isaan.

5. " Orange robes" nirvana can wait. .... get yourself a suit to go with the luxury cars and first class flights.

Sent from my LT26i using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Edited by coconutbar

<deleted> I wear one of those although much bigger, I can actually put the laptop inside and I do sometimes. What do you suggest for carrying the umbrella, passport, keys and cigarettes? I am fashion, so I use slim fit skinny jeans and I can't put anything in the pockets :-S

• Like 1

<deleted> I wear one of those although much bigger, I can actually put the laptop inside and I do sometimes. What do you suggest for carrying the umbrella, passport, keys and cigarettes? I am fashion, so I use slim fit skinny jeans and I can't put anything in the pockets :-S

The one in the OP's picture would be big enough for me, with a laptop, umbrella, passport, keys, cigarettes and a hogshead of cider and a steak pie supper to boot.

Thai Immigration should have weight/height limits for farang seeking entry into the country for holiday or residence.

CCTV can catch them getting off a plane and put them all into a holding pen, oops, into a separate room. "Sorry, we Thais are the most beautiful men and women imaginable and your presence here at 5'4" and 280 lbs is unacceptable." etc.

Whats next... Discuss handbags?

Cmon... we are guys... independent thought and so on...

Lets not follow the sheeple who are so fashion literate that they think what we wear makes a damn difference.... Get a life!

• Like 1

To all the fashion cops: get a life or something worthwhile to spend your time on. Jeez, thought some of us left "home" to get away from that stuff. Also, I dress in large part to survive in this climate. Shorts, light shirts, sandals (cut back that due to staph infections on foot!) are all helpful in a climate we did not evolve in. We get fat because increases survival chance in cold climates (duh). We have body hair for same reason I would guess. I avoid air con as much as possible, but constant sweat is no fun either. May the original poster (Thai woman, some guess) go spend winter in Sweden and not dress like the locals, but rather in traditional Thai garb. We will remove her frozen body in the spring.

Regardless of what I wear in BKK from flip flops, shorts and tshirt to shoes, jeans, long sleeve dress shirt the only place I sweat (at least that I can feel) is my arm pits. So it makes no difference and I may as well look presentable and not dress like a beach bum.

I hate walking around in BKK (other than to go to 7/11 or somewhere super close) wearing shorts. They just look silly and aren't city clothes. So I only wear them in my apartment and quick trips to the shop.

Some people over exaggerate the heat anyway IMO especially many Thai's that I know who are always too hot. They never get used to it because they sit in their apartments with the aircon on 24/7 blasting out super cold air when there's really no need most of the time. Mines is hardly on and my apartment is never that warm plus when you go outside you're used to it and don'r start lashing with sweat.

To all the fashion cops: get a life or something worthwhile to spend your time on. Jeez, thought some of us left "home" to get away from that stuff. Also, I dress in large part to survive in this climate. Shorts, light shirts, sandals (cut back that due to staph infections on foot!) are all helpful in a climate we did not evolve in. We get fat because increases survival chance in cold climates (duh). We have body hair for same reason I would guess. I avoid air con as much as possible, but constant sweat is no fun either. May the original poster (Thai woman, some guess) go spend winter in Sweden and not dress like the locals, but rather in traditional Thai garb. We will remove her frozen body in the spring.

Perhaps we should not be laying down blubber for the winter, if we are going to be living here, and we should curb our appetites accordingly. Personally, I have nothing against walruses, but I'd rather see them in their fur coats in Northern climes than almost-naked in Siam Paragon.

SC

\

• Like 1

If you want to see something really scary go to Google images and enter "people of Walmart".

Makes the average tourist staggering down Walking Street look pretty good. biggrin.png

Just did this - hilarious - best one (nothing to do with their clothes) was this one: people-of-walmart-the-pets-edition-L-7Tq

Must be over 10 years now but can still remember being at an All Inclusive resort in Mexico (RIU Jalisco)

And some fat American Tourist in his wife beater Corona Tank is plowing through the buffet when at one point he reaches across one of the trays and a drizzle of sweat and armpit juice drips into the tray. Had to swallow back a bit of vomit at the same time as politely telling the fat bastard his arm pit sweat certainly added to the flavour of the salsa!

Not aThai related story but can not get the picture of this out of my head after all these years.

Edited by rct99q

Regardless of what I wear in BKK from flip flops, shorts and tshirt to shoes, jeans, long sleeve dress shirt the only place I sweat (at least that I can feel) is my arm pits. So it makes no difference and I may as well look presentable and not dress like a beach bum.

I hate walking around in BKK (other than to go to 7/11 or somewhere super close) wearing shorts. They just look silly and aren't city clothes. So I only wear them in my apartment and quick trips to the shop.

Some people over exaggerate the heat anyway IMO especially many Thai's that I know who are always too hot. They never get used to it because they sit in their apartments with the aircon on 24/7 blasting out super cold air when there's really no need most of the time. Mines is hardly on and my apartment is never that warm plus when you go outside you're used to it and don'r start lashing with sweat.

I sweat like a Trojan when I'm out in Bangkok, and wearing shorts wouldn't change that. I very rarely have the aircon on at home, and I sweat like a Trojan at home, as well. What I really resent is catching a chill in the office because the aircon is set for Latvians

SC

When someones says you shouldnt wear this or that - its always a good reason to do the opposite.....

Wear what you want - dont let other persons decide what you should wear or not wear......

This is true. This is noble. But the reality is that 280lb man in a muscle shirt and short shorts does not see himself, in fact probably hasn't seen his own crown jewels in 30 years. The awfulness of his appearance crashes down on Thais and us. This is plain Not Fair.

I really don't care what anyone wears. If they prefer to look like a beggar or someone who is stuck in a time warp, that's just fine by me. When they show up at immigration or at a service counter and are ignored, that is okay too. Live and let live.

Don't think guys with no tops can be that frowned upon by the Thai's as I see older guys with no top on all the time in the soi's round where I live. Every night they will be sitting outside their house topless and drinking beer.

There's no comparison. For the reason you've given. These men are "sitting outside their house", their space. They are NOT waltzing around the village shirtless. The irony is the men who think they're God's gift to women or whatev never never are.

5 things Thai people should stop wearing.

5. Thai-lish T-shirts. The ones with non-sensical google translations of English phrases, I.E, "A man loves what a man wants to loves with." (my GF has that gem).

4. Hitler logos. Yes, I realize most Thai people don't like to learn about world history, and that the only important historical events were in their victories over Burma (just look at the movie selection on this subject). However, wearing Hitler logos is culturally insensitive to the farangs you enjoy taking money from.

3. Girl jeans and Japanese Anime haircuts on Thai men. I know the Emo phase was so 2006, but really now, those skinny legs would look better in the baggie pants you detest. Also, making yourself look like a Drangon Ball Z or Yu Gi Oh! character just looks silly to us. You don't have to go buzzcut but a happy middle would be nicer than the bird's nest on your head.

2. Baby powder on your head and nasal inhalers up your nose. They look gross. Just stop.

1. Fake Louis Vuitton and Gucci. "Fake it til you make it" is a nice motto to live by but it is obvious that if your MBA only landed you a 20K baht/ month job as a hotel manager, then you don't make enough to buy the real thing. You end up looking like a parody of a materialistic farang woman. Your best bet is to marry the fat oaf in the Beer Chang wife beater--maybe he will buy you the real thing (then you can dump him).

• Like 2

One thing I learned from my dad after he retired: Once retired, I can wear anything I darn well want to wear. The more the clothes yell out 'eccentric' the better. Now, where did I put my Rocky and Bullwinkle T-shirt?

• Like 1

5 things Thai people should stop wearing.

5. Thai-lish T-shirts. The ones with non-sensical google translations of English phrases, I.E, "A man loves what a man wants to loves with." (my GF has that gem).

4. Hitler logos. Yes, I realize most Thai people don't like to learn about world history, and that the only important historical events were in their victories over Burma (just look at the movie selection on this subject). However, wearing Hitler logos is culturally insensitive to the farangs you enjoy taking money from.

3. Girl jeans and Japanese Anime haircuts on Thai men. I know the Emo phase was so 2006, but really now, those skinny legs would look better in the baggie pants you detest. Also, making yourself look like a Drangon Ball Z or Yu Gi Oh! character just looks silly to us. You don't have to go buzzcut but a happy middle would be nicer than the bird's nest on your head.

2. Baby powder on your head and nasal inhalers up your nose. They look gross. Just stop.

1. Fake Louis Vuitton and Gucci. "Fake it til you make it" is a nice motto to live by but it is obvious that if your MBA only landed you a 20K baht/ month job as a hotel manager, then you don't make enough to buy the real thing. You end up looking like a parody of a materialistic farang woman. Your best bet is to marry the fat oaf in the Beer Chang wife beater--maybe he will buy you the real thing (then you can dump him).

Baby powder & nasal inhalers Pmsl