People talking in cinemas during movies - what to do?

Jayroo

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Have to admit that this is one of my personal pet-peeves. But frankly, I find this problem much less pronounced than back in the US. People back in the states will yap and yap away through an entire movie. And if they think you're bothered, they'll yap even more. I recall an episode of the TV show Seinfeld, where Seinfeld actually defended people's right to talk in cinemas (bizarro, I know).

What to do? Tough call. You can certainly make a scene, but that can serious backfire. Perhaps a hard stare at the perpetrator. Or a loud "shooo," or some other gesture to let them know. But if they keep at it, not much you can do...unless you want a potentially nasty confrontation. Heck, I find opening and munching on a bag of potato chips to be somewhat distracting. Anyways, not a huge problem in Thailand from my perspective.

• Like 1

Better than a guy eating a bag of crisps...................

Worst ever was one theater where the local high school kids loved those huge dill pickles.

I'm sure they tasted great, but second hand dill fumes are enough to gag a maggot at 10 feet.

I have told people very politely to shut the eff up and it worked.

Simple solution. Bloody obvious aint it?

There's a bunch of folks 6' deep in the ground that thought telling a group of Thai kids to eff off was an obvious solution to their minor irritation.

• Like 1

I have told people very politely to shut the eff up and it worked.

Simple solution. Bloody obvious aint it?

There's a bunch of folks 6' deep in the ground that thought telling a group of Thai kids to eff off was an obvious solution to their minor irritation.

Sorry, I wasn't clear: whilst I used <deleted> in my post, I actually never use it with people, Thai or otherwise (OK, maybe once or twice in my lifetime).

• Like 1

seriously I would thank the person. cinemas went out with drive in movies. i cant belive they still exist. people really still go to movies? I cant believe it. with big screen tvs, computers and 10 million ways to watch any movie you could ever want to who on earth still goes to these relics called movie theaters. I'm baffled

You are going to compare your 24" screen to 4D surround sounds and a massive screen?

MEthinks you need to upgrade your tv wink.png

I'd prefer to watch a movie at home in Full HD on a 42" screen, with sound through my hifi, than sit surrounded by muppets nattering, rustling crisp packets & letting their mobiles ring. PLUS, I'd rather watch the movie I want to watch, when I want to watch it, not the limited selection of blockbusters someone else chooses to show. YMMV giggle.gif

btw whilst my 42" tv is by no means large or even the latest hi-tech, I prefer to watch movies at home than have the far superior experience of the large screen & surround sound system, due to the other folk sat in the same "room".

I don't know. I hardly ever watch movies at home and I have a whole home movie set-up. One reason is pure and simple a lack of time but I also like the atmosphere of a cinema. Whenever I am in BKK, a stop at the cinema is a must and I have rarely encountered any of the behavior the OP mentioned. I like the huge adjustable sofa, the blanket, the lass bringing me a beer. Just very different from sitting in my living room....

seriously I would thank the person. cinemas went out with drive in movies. i cant belive they still exist. people really still go to movies? I cant believe it. with big screen tvs, computers and 10 million ways to watch any movie you could ever want to who on earth still goes to these relics called movie theaters. I'm baffled

I'm more baffled by your reply, where do you watch the latest releases with subtitles? please advise and I will be the first one to sign up.

• Like 2