Heavy rains, floods and landslides predicted in Northeast

webfact

NATURAL DISASTER
Heavy rains, floods and landslides predicted in Northeast

THE NATION

30214270-01_big.jpg

BANGKOK: -- Provinces in the Northeast, especially Sakhon Nakhon, Nakhon Phanom, Nong Khai, Beung Kan, Udon Thani, Nong Bua Lamphu and Loei, have been warned to brace for heavy rains, floods and landslides until Saturday, Disaster Prevention and Mitigation Department chief Chatchai Phromlert said yesterday. Residents in need of help can call the 1784 hotline round the clock, he added.

In Buri Ram's Satuk district, Natkhanet Worakraipanyapong, chief of the tambon Nong Yai Administrative Organisation, said a rainstorm on Wednesday night completely destroyed three homes and partially damaged some 100 houses as well as a local school and temple. The storm also felled 50 trees and 10 power poles, leading to a blackout. No injuries or deaths have been reported.

In Phitsanulok's Muang district, many trees were uprooted by strong winds and rain on Wednesday night including a 60-year-old rain tree that fell onto a parked pickup truck at the home of a Chinese Cemetery official. Also, the roofing tiles of a house in Nittaya Housing Estate were blown away, forcing the homeowner Okom Sributtra to flee with her two sons.

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2013-09-06

13 northern provinces to brace for flash floods

BANGKOK, 6 September 2013 (NNT) - The Department of Disaster Prevention and Mitigation (DDPM) is warning residents in the North to brace for possible flash floods during the next few days.

The Meteorological Department has reported that the presence of a monsoon trough in the upper part of Thailand, coupled with the influence of the southwesterly winds, is bringing torrential rains to the North and the Northeast.

The DDPM stressed that residents in 13 northern provinces, including Chiang Mai, Lampang, Tak, Sukhothai, Phitsanulok and Nan, are at risk of severe floods and landslides.

The department has instructed officials to closely monitor the situation and be prepared to offer assistance to people where necessary.

nntlogo.jpg
-- NNT 2013-09-06 footer_n.gif

We need it desperately in Southern Issan. Where I live in Southern SiSaket the reservoirs are at record lows and we are most of the way through the so-called rainy season. I talk in the village about the disaster about to befall those of the farmers who are downstream of the major lake (now puddle) near us and how they are going to be fail to grow anything until next May. Water off a ducks bottom - nobody plans, nobody cares .... until it happens. I fear the table will suck dry and leave us all alike with a big headache.

The photo depicts many typical "Foundations" for those 2 to 3 metre high cement posts used by the "Rice-Farmer" builders. Just scrape a bit of dirt away, stand up the pole and refill a little dirt around the base. Oh! And don't forget to tamp this soil before erecting the elevated house.

Sad but true.

Perhaps you should set up shop up that way and teach them how to do it?

I'm sure the "Rice Farmers" will welcome you with open arms!

We need it desperately in Southern Issan. Where I live in Southern SiSaket the reservoirs are at record lows and we are most of the way through the so-called rainy season. I talk in the village about the disaster about to befall those of the farmers who are downstream of the major lake (now puddle) near us and how they are going to be fail to grow anything until next May. Water off a ducks bottom - nobody plans, nobody cares .... until it happens. I fear the table will suck dry and leave us all alike with a big headache.

where i live in Chaiyaphum, the big reservoir is so empty, that some farmers plenting sugar or rice on the actual bed. and yes, it is the rainy season.

my ponds arent filling up neither :(