Suvarnabhumi Airport: 80 flights delayed

webfact

ACCIDENT
80 flights delayed

The Nation

BANGKOK: - A number of 80 flights operating to and from Suvarnabhumi Airport have experienced delays following the accident with Thai Airways International's aircraft on Sunday night.

Sita Divari, chairman of Airports of Thailand which operates the Bangkok airport, said that 35 flights had to circle above the airport, waiting for the landing. They experienced average delays of 14 minutes.

Meanwhile, a number of 45 departing flights suffered from the average 30-minute delay.

On September 8, flight TG679, operated with Airbus A330-300 aircraft, departed from Guangzhou to Bangkok at 9.25pm (local time in Guangzhou) and arrived in Bangkok at 11.20pm. After touchdown at Suvarnabhumi Airport, the landing gear malfunctioned and caused the aircraft to skid off the runway.

Sparks were noticed from the vicinity of the right landing gear near the engine; the matter is under investigation. The captain took control of the aircraft until it came to a complete stop and passengers were evacuated from the aircraft emergency exits. The operation was conducted by the captain and cabin crew strictly according to emergency procedures.

The aircraft carried 288 passengers and 14 cabin crew. Initially, 13 passengers received minor injuries while evacuating the aircraft. THAI staff provided assistance to passengers and transfer those injured to hospital. THAI will conduct an investigation as to the cause of the incident.

Due to the accident, the east runway of the airport was damaged. While THAI will remove its aircraft within 48 months, the fixing on the 300-metre-long damaged area will also take the same time, said Sita.

The runway is expected to reopen before noon of September 11, he said.

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2013-09-09

• Like 1

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

..."While THAI will remove its aircraft within 48 months, the fixing on the 300-metre-long damaged area will also take the same time" :-)

And obviously it will have the same standard of quality that goes with the rest of the operating procedures - thus no doubt cause more accidents

• Like 1

Be reasonable 48 months is not a long time for Thai to get the plne off the runway.

The one that bellied in in Phuket took about 3 years. Bangkok is bigger give these poor devils a break. What do you expect from a Banana Republic. The PM's plane could leave to go to Europe and they did not anything about it being delayed.

Due to the accident, the east runway of the airport was damaged. While THAI will remove its aircraft within 48 months, the fixing on the 300-metre-long damaged area will also take the same time, said Sita.

The runway is expected to reopen before noon of September 11, he said.
(About 47.9 months before the runway damage is repaired to make it safe for travelers.)

Sorry. Cheap shot. But I couldn't help it.

I'm hoping they meant 48 Hours. I can't imagine leaving a $100+ million asset idle for 48 months.

The runway is expected to reopen before noon of September 11, he said. (About 47.9 months before the runway damage is repaired to make it safe for travelers.)

Sorry. Cheap shot. But I couldn't help it.

I'm hoping they meant 48 Hours. I can't imagine leaving a $100+ million asset idle for 48 months.

Life for most Thais can be so miserable at times, 48 hours just feels like 48 months.

Honestly, all news articles regarding this accident should be labelled " Anonymous purple jet accident : 80 flights delayed "
The TG crew were up on the tail in nanoseconds to paint out the carrier logo - give them some credit please !

So the headline, rather than the accurate

"Thai Airways International aircraft skids off the runway at BKK"

is

"80 flights delayed."

Utterly, utterly craven. Is anyone proud of this article?

Errmm the crash was reported elsewhere. This is a separate story.

Be reasonable 48 months is not a long time for Thai to get the plne off the runway.

The one that bellied in in Phuket took about 3 years. Bangkok is bigger give these poor devils a break. What do you expect from a Banana Republic. The PM's plane could leave to go to Europe and they did not anything about it being delayed.

Come on Don!!! tongue.png

Cut Thai Air some slack... "48 months" ought to be long enough for them to move the damaged plane off the runway.

I'd say that's a reasonable time estimate, based on the speed at which things move around here -- unless there is some backhand money to be made. smile.png

I noticed Thai airways were quick to paint over the tail logo on the plane to blank it out. Never seen them move so fast!

How long do you think that it will take to release the findings of the investigation.

I suggest it will never be publicly released if a person or persons is found to be responsible for the accident.

"we mustn't hurt their feeling must we not" TIT

..."While THAI will remove its aircraft within 48 months, the fixing on the 300-metre-long damaged area will also take the same time" :-)

48 hours lost in translation to 48 months.

In fact the aircraft was removed in about 24 hours.

No damage to the runway I'm aware of, only a bit of ploughing in the soft stuff.

Honestly, all news articles regarding this accident should be labelled " Anonymous purple jet accident : 80 flights delayed "

The TG crew were up on the tail in nanoseconds to paint out the carrier logo - give them some credit please !

"" The operation was conducted by the captain and cabin crew strictly according to emergency procedures.""

Group photos and awards are in order...

I have faith in future flying safety when observing a sharp operation.

I noticed Thai airways were quick to paint over the tail logo on the plane to blank it out. Never seen them move so fast!

How long do you think that it will take to release the findings of the investigation.

I suggest it will never be publicly released if a person or persons is found to be responsible for the accident.

"we mustn't hurt their feeling must we not" TIT

THAI is claiming a failure in the aircraft's right landing gear. Airbus will want to send a team to investigate, and will want the results of the investigation to be factual and open. THAi won't be able to wiggle out of that one, unless they admit they were being Thai and blaming the aircraft for human failure.

• Like 1

I just landed at swampy from Phuket. I was on PG. The Captain announced that due to the monsoon, one runway was closed and had to circle for 15 minutes.

The fact that PG were covering up for TG leads me to believe that it was actually the runway which caused the failure of the landing gear. And all airlines are on instruction to issue the story so that swampy's reputation is not tarnished.

That is my conspiracy contribution for today.

• Like 1

48 hours lost in translation to 48 months.

In fact the aircraft was removed in about 24 hours.

No damage to the runway I'm aware of, only a bit of ploughing in the soft stuff.

The aircraft was still there stuck in the turf at 5.30pm today. Which THAI aircraft are you referring to that was "removed"? Did you see the runway to know it's not damaged??

Come on you guys, they obviously mean 48 hours, and same for the strip. Great stuff by the flight crew, and let us wait for the investigation before blaming the plane, maintenance crew or the company, boy oh boy there are some jaundiced views out there!!

Come on, Thailand is a great place and generally wonderful people which is why we are here. Many of the bad attitudes and illegal activities were spawned by the tourist boom so we are part of the problem as well??

Personally, I avoid the tourist Meccas but if you are there, do not be surprised by what you find there. Self fulfilling prophesy leaps to mind.

• Like 1

Landing gear malfunction??? How about stick actuator malfunction whistling.gif

My personal feeling about this situation is that it was a pilot error and the Plane was landed incorrectly/landed too hard in to the runway.

Secondly by stating that the “Captain took control of the aircraft” says that the Co-pilot was in control of the Plane….... But maybe I have this all wrong.rolleyes.gif

Just glad nobody got seriously hurt.