All to have Compulsory Insurance in order to enter Thailand?

http://pattayatoday.net/news/news-from-around-pattaya/compulsory-insurance-for-all/

Just read that article and it looks like the Thai Government don't want to make life easier for people coming here for : work - retire- tourist or whatever.

So they loose app. 200 mill baht per year in unpaid hospital bills but earned about 950 billion baht from the same people that didn't pay the hospital bills.

How greedy can they be?? They want great numbers in tourist arrivals so I will assume they grant more and more countries 14/30 days stay on arrival.

Ironical all those tourist are ferried around in an increasing number of tour busses that drives like mad and are often badly maintained.

Almost every week we can read about a tour bus that have crashed somewhere and lots of people taken to hospital or worse.

Speed boat accidents in Pattaya wounding/ killing tourists.

Tourists renting motor bikes with no license, fined by the police and then sent on their way again.

Thailand is going right opposite as Malaysia, where visa's and land ownership are relatively easy to obtain, they are making it harder here I think.

I myself have a 1 year Non-O-Multi based on marriage but since I work overseas 2month on/off I never got the charge to extend my Visa but always renew each year (Singapore so far).

I got wife & kid here but still each year, the whole process have to be done again which is annoying and now they are talking about 800k baht in the bank and not 400?

It would be inconvenient for me to have that amount of money in a Thai bank, I prefer them in overseas accounts where I can easier shuffle my money around in the world as I pleases and in Singapore money don't suddenly go "missing" from your account as we heard about in Thailand.

If this trend is continuing I will have to convince my wife that we move out of Thailand permanently and only visit for holidays.

I have by the way Int. health insurance for my family.

Any thoughts of this??

There no talk of the requirements for extension based upon marriage changing.

I think you are referring to what has happened in the UK. I personally think it is all just a mistake on the embassy website.

You may find that you will not get another visa from Singapore. Latest info is that they only do them for residents of Singapore now.

There no talk of the requirements for extension based upon marriage changing.

I think you are referring to what has happened in the UK. I personally think it is all just a mistake on the embassy website.

You may find that you will not get another visa from Singapore. Latest info is that they only do them for residents of Singapore now.

No you guess you are right.

According to the Thai Embassy web page in Singapore you can still get the visa I require.

http://www.thaiembassy.sg/consular-visa-matters/visa-requirements/non-immigrant-visa-o-thai-spouse

Now I checked the same web page for KL and the requirements are slightly different (okay still only 400k in the bank).

Odd that they don't have the same rules world wide.

I don't think it is unreasonable to require health insurance, and it is a normal thing for many countries to do. When I extend my visa I always provide proof of insurance along with other documents, even though it isn't required. And certainly 500 baht is not unreasonable,....

• Like 2

I am over 65 and cannot buy health insurance. Will gladly pay baht 500 for Govt coverage. If baht 500 is causing you heartburn you are living really close to the edge--or maybe its "just" the principle of it,..

Lefty

No even close to the edge I have company paid for medical insurance in Thailand which covers me upto a couple of million quid.....it's the principle...

Why do I keep this hearing this tosh can't get medical insurance, my parents are older than you by a long shot, granted they are not in Thailand, and they have medical insurance and my mother has diabetes, is on chronic medication and has had a hip replacement, but " some how" they have medical insurance

Further you might want to go and read some of the threads in the " insurance forum" medial insurance is available to over 65's in Thailand.

If you are truly uninsurable, one hope for your sake they don't implement the proposal of a medical certificate required for Living in Thailand.

Edited by Soutpeel

I am over 65 and cannot buy health insurance. Will gladly pay baht 500 for Govt coverage. If baht 500 is causing you heartburn you are living really close to the edge--or maybe its "just" the principle of it,..

Lefty

No even close to the edge I have company paid for medical insurance in Thailand which covers me upto a couple of million quid.....it's the principle...

Why do I keep this hearing this tosh can't get medical insurance, my parents are older than you by a long shot, granted they are not in Thailand, and they have medical insurance and my mother has diabetes, is on chronic medication and has had a hip replacement, but " some how" they have medical insurance

Further you might want to go and read some of the threads in the " insurance forum" medial insurance is available to over 65's in Thailand.

If you are truly uninsurable, one hope for your sake they don't implement the proposal of a medical certificate required for Living in Thailand.

That's just my experience, if your mother doesn't live in Thailand what is the point of her insurance. If I was in the U.S. I could indeed buy insurance.

Anyway baht 500 is too small to waste time much time on it.

Lefty

I don't think it is unreasonable to require health insurance, and it is a normal thing for many countries to do. When I extend my visa I always provide proof of insurance along with other documents, even though it isn't required. And certainly 500 baht is not unreasonable,....

Well I actually do think ฿ 500 is unreasonable, certainly if this applies to long residents as well as tourists, reason being many farangs living in Thailand have done the responsible thing and purchased their own private medical insurance at a cost of many thousands of ฿, so why should those people who are not doing the responsible thing be given cheap subsidized "insurance" ...if this is what happens, people currently paying for their own insurance may as well give up paying their premiums and take the ฿ 500 option then

Personally i think the thai government shouldn't even be thinking of an increase in visa fees to cover medical expenses, they should just adequate medical insurance must be shown at time of application, be it a visa or an extension

Haven't been following this closely but is it not aimed more at short stay tourists. They are more likely to need medical care due to their activities.

Lefty

Strikes me as strange that a medical cert (a typical Thai joke anyway) is required for Driving Licence renewal but not visa extensions.

And yes, you are quite right that medical insurance is available for over 65's.

In all my time living here I have never heard of a falang not paying a hospital bill

In my opinion this is more about tourists being injured here through unregulated services and tourist facilities, we can also throw victims of crime into the mix like the recent stabbing of a man by a bar worker on walking street Pattaya, in recent weeks in pattaya we have heard about a couple of boating accidents were tourists were either kill or severely injured

So this governments response to that is instead of enforcing or properly regulating these services and make sure they have proper insurance they want us all to pay, it is typical of Thais and Thailand to reap the benefits of us being here but give nothing back or use some of the billions they are making from tourists and expats to make Thailand a better and safer place, not a chance - it's take take take

Lefty

That's just my experience, if your mother doesn't live in Thailand what is the point of her insurance. If I was in the U.S. I could indeed buy insurance.

Anyway baht 500 is too small to waste time much time on it.

Lefty

And if you can buy insurance in the US what haven't you done this then and used this in Thailand ? Policies are transferable you know ? My medical insurance is not even based in Thailand, but in the UK but guess what it covers me in Thailand

So back to your original statement...".I am over 65 and cannot buy medical insurance"

1. It seems medical insurance is available to you referencing the TV insurance forum

2. You have stated yourself you can get medical insurance in the US, so all it needs to be is transferable to cover you in Thailand

So it seems you can buy medical insurance...so should the wording in your statement be instead of "can't" be "don't want to"

Actually most insurance is not transferable (and US medicare type insurance is useless outside the US) and often payment is limited overseas (unless to save them money); there is very little if any option for elderly getting insurance in Thailand without extreme expense for policy and exclusions. Those in system from earlier age may be better off but even they will often reach a point where the insurance becomes too expensive to maintain. There is no easy answer; or there would not be an issue.

Fees?

Nah, just another tax. Another way for an overspending government to take more hard-earned money from people and pretend to give them something in return.

Aside from taxes added to the price of goods and services (and VAT is refundable to tourists) I don't think many of the foreign tourists and residents here on long-stay are burdened by taxes. If you're working here, you had to realize your income would be taxed as it is in most other countries.

On the other hand, when foreigners get "free" emergency medical treatment, and sometimes it goes on for a long time, that does mean hospitals do push prices higher for those of us who do pay our bills.

So rather than blame the government for any "tax" meant to recover unpaid expenses incurred by non-nationals, I'd blame the farang who are unable or unwilling to make sure they've got proper medical insurance.

Basically when I pay the hospital for my treatment, I'm also making a charitable contribution for those who are free-loading.

• Like 1

Actually most insurance is not transferable (and US medicare type insurance is useless outside the US) and often payment is limited overseas (unless to save them money); there is very little if any option for elderly getting insurance in Thailand without extreme expense for policy and exclusions. Those in system from earlier age may be better off but even they will often reach a point where the insurance becomes too expensive to maintain. There is no easy answer; or there would not be an issue.

It's called travel insurance, and covers everyone, no questions asked up until the age of 69, or 79 in the case of some insurers. If you are above those ages, you may still be able to obtain insurance, but you will need a full doctor's certificate and physical done before the policy is issued.

In Australia, travel insurance is regularly promoted by major insurance companies, banks and on TV, the internet, radio and in newspapers. I don't see why Americans and other nationalities wouldn't have similar exposure to, and availability of travel insurance.

Yearly policies depend on the coverage needed, but for medical and personal liability only for 1 year, it's very affordable at only about $250-400 or so for Thailand.

Fees?

Nah, just another tax. Another way for an overspending government to take more hard-earned money from people and pretend to give them something in return.

Aside from taxes added to the price of goods and services (and VAT is refundable to tourists) I don't think many of the foreign tourists and residents here on long-stay are burdened by taxes. If you're working here, you had to realize your income would be taxed as it is in most other countries.

On the other hand, when foreigners get "free" emergency medical treatment, and sometimes it goes on for a long time, that does mean hospitals do push prices higher for those of us who do pay our bills.

So rather than blame the government for any "tax" meant to recover unpaid expenses incurred by non-nationals, I'd blame the farang who are unable or unwilling to make sure they've got proper medical insurance.

Basically when I pay the hospital for my treatment, I'm also making a charitable contribution for those who are free-loading.

Agreed, if the intent is to go ahead with this requirement ( personally I don't it will see the light of day) all the government needs to do is require people have insurance, I done believe they should be providing the means of getting that insurance...ie a ฿ 500 surcharge.....

It's called travel insurance, and covers everyone, no questions asked up until the age of 69, or 79 in the case of some insurers. If you are above those ages, you may still be able to obtain insurance, but you will need a full doctor's certificate and physical done before the policy is issued.

In Australia, travel insurance is regularly promoted by major insurance companies, banks and on TV, the internet, radio and in newspapers. I don't see why Americans and other nationalities wouldn't have similar exposure to, and availability of travel insurance.

Yearly policies depend on the coverage needed, but for medical and personal liability only for 1 year, it's very affordable at only about $250-400 or so for Thailand.

Travel insurance is just what it says, for travelling, not for living in another country. In most (if not all) cases there is a limit on how long you can be out of "your own country", and it would not cover you if you have emigrated to another country. In countries with free/state (tax) supported health care systems, the premiums are based on only providing emergency care in the foreign country and relocating you back to your home country for further treatment as soon as possible. This keeps the premium down.

In short, travel insurance is not an option for most people living in Thailand. It could, however, be an option for people dividing their time between Thailand and their home country.

Sophon

as people get older the exclusions just increase, if you have pre-existing conditions like Hypertention (which quite a few people have) then that could be enough to exclude you from any insurance coverage for anything - heart related - cardio - stroke - vascular - and the list continues - lets throw diabetes into the mix, the truth is insurance might work if you've been signed up long before any of these conditions emerged - so what are you left with - well accident insurance which probably covers most people for what is going to happen to them in Thailand and if you take out proper vehicle cover you have this already

Insurance generally is a scam and those of you running around thinking you are covered for every eventuality really need to read the fine print of exclusions and see what you are actually covered for - unfortunately those that found this out probably aren't here to post about it

There has been some noise about health insurance for long term visas but so far I think just grandstanding by officials who want to score points by foreigner bashing. On the other hand many Thais probably feel they want to reciprocate the European requirement to have health insurance to get a Schengen visa. If it happened for easy administration and maximum profit to Thai insurance companies, it would be a flat rate premium per month of stay in advance without taking into account any personal particulars. The insurers would then need to impose many exceptions to avoid losing money, e.g. motor cycle accidents not covered, limited coverage for seniors and those with pre-existing conditions. So it wouldn't solve the problem of the unpaid hospital fees, unless it was just a tax that went straight to govt hospitals which are already bankrupted by the government's unfunded universal healthcare system anyway but that wouldn't make money for politicians and civil servants. It is hard to see this working in a way that provided any benefits to temporary residents and the hospitals and not big profits to various unsavoury individuals.