Phuket tourism court on hold

webfact

Phuket tourism court on hold
Phuket Gazette

tc.jpg
Tourism and Sports Minister Somsak Pureesrisak (right) and Wirat Shinwinijkul, Secretary-General of the Courts of Justice, at the opening of the first tourist court in Pattaya on September 5. Photo: Ministry of Tourism and Sport

PHUKET: -- The opening of a new tourist court in Phuket has been delayed while a sortie of judges, Tourist Police and officers from the Department of Special Investigation (DSI) complete a 14-million-baht, two-week fact-finding trip to France.

The fact-finding tour, which started September 7 and is scheduled to end September 19, is aimed at giving the experts a first-hand view of how such courts can operate.

The news follows Tourism and Sports Minister Somsak Pureesrisak officiating at the opening of the first of seven tourist courts nationwide, formally called the “Tourist Protections Section”, in Pattaya on September 5.

The goal of the special courts is to provide advice and information, as well as to expedite the settlement of cases for tourists.

“Tourism cases are different from other cases because tourists are in Thailand for only a short time. I want to provide a fair and faster process for them,” Mr Somsak said.

“We will provide tourists with information that can help expedite their cases. If they have to go back to their country, staff will question them and assign officers to follow their cases and notify the tourists once cases are resolved. This is the best way to be fair to everyone under Thai law,” he explained.

When the idea for special tourist courts first gathered momentum in May this year (story here), Mr Somsak explained why they were necessary.

“Tourists who are the victims of thefts and robberies may have to face a lengthy trial and experience inconvenience because they only intended to stay in the country for a short time,” he said.

Cases involving consumer fraud will be solved the fastest, within one day, said Wirat Shinwinijkul, Secretary-General of the Courts of Justice.

The budget and dates for opening the other planned tourist courts – in Phuket, Chiang Mai, Samui, Krabi and the Pathum Wan and Dusit districts in Bangkok – have yet to be determined, Mr Somsak said.

Source: http://www.phuketgazette.net/phuket_news/2013/Phuket-tourism-court-on-hold-22243.html

pglogo.jpg
-- Phuket Gazette 2013-09-14

Thats more like the Thai we know. Two weeks in France, Nice wine, reasonable price! And all payed for by the servile. Tax payer. Great job if you can get it!

I think you will find that politicians from other countries are not adverse to tax-payer-funded "fact-finding" missions. I work in a up-market hotel and we get our fair share of those missions from across the world. Doesn't make it right; I know.

• Like 1

Thats more like the Thai we know. Two weeks in France, Nice wine, reasonable price! And all payed for by the servile. Tax payer. Great job if you can get it!

I think you will find that politicians from other countries are not adverse to tax-payer-funded "fact-finding" missions. I work in a up-market hotel and we get our fair share of those missions from across the world. Doesn't make it right; I know.

Your defense of Thailand and its officials would be more sound, if there actually was a tourist court in France to get this "first hand view". In reality this trip was just a taxpayer funded fun time.

• Like 1

Your defense of Thailand and its officials would be more sound, if there actually was a tourist court in France to get this "first hand view". In reality this trip was just a taxpayer funded fun time.

I am not defending Thailand, I am bashing politicians going on expensive, tax-funded trips. Some of the delegations I had in the hotel did their fact-finding in expensive restaurants and bars.

Your bloody kidding me rightcheesy.gif this is hilarious. They have already opened one in Pattaya and are going to open one at BKK airport (god only knows why) and the boys on Phuket can't open theirs until they have been on "THIER" all expenses paid, taxpayer funded junket to France. Are there totally separate judicial systems in every province? Go and speak to the boys at Pattaya if you need some infor on how to run the bloody thing.

This is no more than a scam being committed on the Thai public and these people are going to reside over scams committed against Farangs.

Maybe they need more experience at being a tourist before they can sit on a bench and this is the logic behind it.

Edited by chooka

Your bloody kidding me rightcheesy.gif this is hilarious. They have already opened one in Pattaya and are going to open one at BKK airport (god only knows why) and the boys on Phuket can't open theirs until they have been on "THIER" all expenses paid, taxpayer funded junket to France. Are there totally separate judicial systems in every province? Go and speak to the boys at Pattaya if you need some infor on how to run the bloody thing.

This is no more than a scam being committed on the Thai public and these people are going to reside over scams committed against Farangs.

Maybe they need more experience at being a tourist before they can sit on a bench and this is the logic behind it.

Khun Chooka, haven't you learnt yet that Phuket is a different country to Thailand? :) :)

• Like 1

I seriously doubt France even has a tourist court & there are certainly not that many tourists from there to Thailand. Another publicly funded junket with no real purpose because the reasons given are absolute drivel. This is small scale compared to the large wastage & siphoning off of public money which will continue until accountability becomes real.

I seriously doubt France even has a tourist court & there are certainly not that many tourists from there to Thailand. Another publicly funded junket with no real purpose because the reasons given are absolute drivel. This is small scale compared to the large wastage & siphoning off of public money which will continue until accountability becomes real.

I don't know about you, but, around Patong, I see a lot of French, and also Italian, tourists and expats.

That said, I agree with you, it's just a holiday for these guys.

The officials, police, and judicial officers here are shameless, to the point you get the feeling they want you to know just how much they can, and will, rape and pillage, everything and everyone.

<snip>

That said, I agree with you, it's just a holiday for these guys.

The officials, police, and judicial officers here are shameless, to the point you get the feeling they want you to know just how much they can, and will, rape and pillage, everything and everyone.

Well said; NKM! Although, I still have never had any problem with the police here, personally.

Edited by Jimi007

Not surprised by the study trip request.

I was asked a few years ago to conduct private English conversation lessons to prepare a judge (won't disclose the court) for an upcoming study trip to South Korea..the purpose of the trip supposedly to study their court processes and then implement some of this back in Thailand.I was given PR material from this basic court (from the judge's assistant) about how this Thai court functions. I was told to read this before our first lesson and then prepared a two hour lesson using basic law terms in English. I spent about two hours preparing this as I know business conract law but not that familiar with actual court proceedings. When I am talking to this judge while we are having the mandatory 20 minute coffee/tea/snack before actually starting our first lesson...the judge informs me that the outcome (for these lessons) is to learn how to shop in English on the trip, ordering food and drinks, asking for things from hotel staff, how to ask about K-pop bands and Korean dramas etc. When I showed what I had prepared...what i thought would be needed on a study trip for court procedures I was told no not needed..

Khun Chooka, haven't you learnt yet that Phuket is a different country to Thailand? :) :)

Yes, it doesn't have metered taxis or baht buses or Sam Lors or even proper tuk tuks. A totally different country indeed.

And a totally different style of government for a lot of business activities. A lot are controlled by a sub governmental system with a name of five letters, beginning with M and ending in A. The normal government and BIB system of rule DOES exist, but alongside and inter connected to, the Phuket only system.

A tourist court sort of conflicts with the governmental system that exists, so slow slow and wait for the idea to blow over is the name of the game. If invented delays can include some nice trips overseas, so much the better.

Not saying it won't happen, but a Phuket tourist court? Goes against everything I know about the place. Unless its to help get compensation for locals who suffer at the hands of tourists?

14 million baht for a two week fact finding trip...Wow, sounds like they are going first class.

Just counting on all the revenue that's going to be coming in under the table in good old Phuket.

I lived in Phuket from 2000-2002, and it was terrible even then,

so with all the feed back in the last three years,

it appears the conditions haven't gotten any better.

The court should do well,

and is way over due for the area.