All Non O Visas from Hull now need 800K Bht in the bank

Firstly, I must admit, I didn't read the whole thread!rolleyes.gif

But what is the big deal? Why apply for a "marriage"visa in your homecountry? Fly in on a visaextempt, gives you 30 days, straight to immigration to convert into nonimmigrant "O" based on marriage, show them the 400k in your Thai bank account. If your immigration is "friendly" it will give you an extension based on marriage of 15 months, some offices will do it in 2 steps: 3 months first and within the last month the rest.

Seems like most posters are not aware of, that they can have a non O issued in Thailand??coffee1.gif

• Like 1

• Replies 465
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just to mention a couple of important features of the financial evidencing requirements that have not been mentioned on this particular thread:

Bank statements must show your name and address. If you are using a UK current account to evidence your financial standing, then note that statements obtained over your bank's counter in the UK may not have an address on them (my HSBC emergency statements do not) and that statements printed off the internet rarely (never?) show the customer's address. You may have to order them from your bank and this might introduce an unwelcome delay - for instance HSBC will put them in the second class post 'within 5 working days' - so up to 8 working days to get them potentially. I found that HSBC would send them to a branch in the UK local to where I live which they undertook to do within 3 working days (but that was only when I explained my difficulty - they do not, it seems, routinely offer this).

You can combine the income and balance requirements so that if you can demonstrate hald the income requirement you only need to demonstrate half the balance requirement to provide a combined evidence that passes muster. I suspect that 's how the combination works, but someone shout if I got it wrong

Just because you are leaving every year does not mean you can't get an extension as long as you do your first extension at the time of year when you know you will be here for a couple of months. You only need a single re- entry permit to make your trip.

Why make border runs every 90 days unless you really have to.

I'd agree with that if the UK was my only trip.  But as I travel out at least bi-monthly I don't need border runs and so it has been convenient up until now.  I'll likely try for another non-O next year (unless things change again), it will be interesting to see how that goes as my UK bank account (into which my income goes) has my Thai address on the statements.

I'm in the same boat - making many trips out of country back to the UK or to elsewhere, so a non-O multiple has been very suitable for the past 6 years. If we are forced down the extension route (I'm married and over 50) we would not want to be paying 1,900 ThB every time we flew out just to reenter. BUT, I have now dug out my notes from when I visited Sisaket immigration a year ago. They were trying to persuade me that an extension was better than a multiple non-O for my circumstance (quite why they had an interest in persuading me was not clear - more work to justify their positions I guess - or just being naturally helpful which they seem to be)

I note now from my notes that there is an option to buy a multiple re-entry permit at 3,900 ThB. Can someone who is using such confirm its existence and current (or recent cost) and that it can be used repetitively over the course of a year. That would make the extension route no less painful financially than the non-O route. Just the sycophantic grovelling to be allowed in once a year then (Hull has never required that Posted Image ).

A multiple re-entry permit can be used 100 times if you want for the amount time it is valid for which will be up to permit to stay date from your extension. Cost is 3800 baht.

But what is the big deal? Why apply for a "marriage"visa in your homecountry? Fly in on a visaextempt, gives you 30 days, straight to immigration to convert into nonimmigrant "O" based on marriage, show them the 400k in your Thai bank account. If your immigration is "friendly" it will give you an extension based on marriage of 15 months, some offices will do it in 2 steps: 3 months first and within the last month the rest.

Seems like most posters are not aware of, that they can have a non O issued in Thailand??coffee1.gif

And after the 15 months if still in Thailand can you reapply in Thailand for another extension based on marriage with 400k?

Just sent my forms off to Birmingham Consulate who tell me they have no requirement for this 800k TODAY

3 months showing monthly income equivalent to THB65k or lump-sum

amount of THB800k.

READ THE POST PEOPLE!!! OR 65K A MONTH FOR 3 MONTHS ... THATS ONLY 1300 QUID A MONTH. SO NO YOU DONT NEED 800K AT ALL. SECONDLY THIS IS A SIMILAR AMOUNT THE UK GOVERNMENT WANT US TO EARN IF WE WANT A THAI SPOUSE TO COME OVER HERE. SO THE GOVERNMENTS VISA POLICIES ARE SIMILAR.

REMEMBER NOR 800K. JUST 1300 UK POUNDS FOR 3 MONTHS. EASY PEASY

Just to mention a couple of important features of the financial evidencing requirements that have not been mentioned on this particular thread:

Bank statements must show your name and address. If you are using a UK current account to evidence your financial standing, then note that statements obtained over your bank's counter in the UK may not have an address on them (my HSBC emergency statements do not) and that statements printed off the internet rarely (never?) show the customer's address. You may have to order them from your bank and this might introduce an unwelcome delay - for instance HSBC will put them in the second class post 'within 5 working days' - so up to 8 working days to get them potentially. I found that HSBC would send them to a branch in the UK local to where I live which they undertook to do within 3 working days (but that was only when I explained my difficulty - they do not, it seems, routinely offer this).

You can combine the income and balance requirements so that if you can demonstrate hald the income requirement you only need to demonstrate half the balance requirement to provide a combined evidence that passes muster. I suspect that 's how the combination works, but someone shout if I got it wrong

I will let you know in the next week or so if this is correct as have just sent off the required documents EXCLUDING any financial requirements to Birmingham.

The Thai Embassy site also asks for the 800k so i dont think its anything to do with Hull although suspect this could be a cock up???

3 months showing monthly income equivalent to THB65k or lump-sum
amount of THB800k.
READ THE POST PEOPLE!!! OR 65K A MONTH FOR 3 MONTHS ... THATS ONLY 1300 QUID A MONTH. SO NO YOU DONT NEED 800K AT ALL. SECONDLY THIS IS A SIMILAR AMOUNT THE UK GOVERNMENT WANT US TO EARN IF WE WANT A THAI SPOUSE TO COME OVER HERE. SO THE GOVERNMENTS VISA POLICIES ARE SIMILAR.
REMEMBER NOR 800K. JUST 1300 UK POUNDS FOR 3 MONTHS. EASY PEASY

Not sure what your saying here its 65k a month every month or 800k lump sum not for 3 months thats how long the lump sum must be in the bank.....as far as I can tell

• Like 1

So under the new rules (both Thailand and the UK) some poor sods who are married to a Thai and have children together will be unable to live together as a family.

There are no changes for getting an extension of stay here from immigration.

Only in the UK for visas.

So basically it's just yet another case of a consulate making up their own rules (or more accurately their own interpretation of the rules).

Situation normal, then - no change whatsoever to the actual, official, Thailand Immigration rule book.

Not the consulate. I am applying for a non O multiple at Hull early next week and I spoke to them on Monday. They were very clear that they did not make the new rules, the Thai embassy in London did (I surmise, under direction from Bangkok).

And yet another poster said that he'd called a different consulate and been told there is no such change. So even if it did come from the Embassy, it seems it's directed only at Hull. The thread's full of anecdotal tales now (including this reply) so it's getting muddier by the minute - but anyway Embassy or Consulate, same same - a 'boss' somewhere, with new 'local' rules.

Just woke up and re-read this whole thread, it was only on page 3 when I went to bed.

can *someone* tell me if this affects a non-married, 51-year old from the states who usually gets Type O visas every year with no trouble? Thanks.

And after the 15 months if still in Thailand can you reapply in Thailand for another extension based on marriage with 400k?

Just sent my forms off to Birmingham Consulate who tell me they have no requirement for this 800k TODAY

YES ! And the year after and the year after..............

Just make sure to obtain a reentrypermit if travelling, so you don't "break the chain"

YES ! And the year after and the year after..............

Just make sure to obtain a reentrypermit if travelling, so you don't "break the chain"

Thanks...................until they change the rules again hahahaha

Just woke up and re-read this whole thread, it was only on page 3 when I went to bed.

can *someone* tell me if this affects a non-married, 51-year old from the states who usually gets Type O visas every year with no trouble? Thanks.

No it should not.
  • Like 2

Just checked the website of Thai Embassy in Stockholm. To get a Non O/spouse,family from them you need all the usual paperwork. But no economic requirements at all.

So maybe the Thais are getting tired of all the Thais getting refused in the UK, so it is payback time?whistling.gif

No it should not.

Thank you! Calling the Boston consulate today to verify.

Well, all I can say is the rules are the rules.

Nobody will be issued Non-Imm O visa's anymore unless their wife has changed her surname...

Apparently only when applying at Hull, and nobody knows why they are playing this game. No other Thai consulate seems to have this requirement.

I am 41, married and travel abroad for work several times a year. I don't go back to U.K very often so applying there is not likely for me anyway. So a realistic option, without abusing 'soft' rules, would be to come in on a visa exempt stamp and then change to a Non O based on marriage in country. Then apply for extension based on marriage (with 400K) and then obtain a multiple re-entry permit for 3800 baht.

Would that be correct ??

I am 41, married and travel abroad for work several times a year. I don't go back to U.K very often so applying there is not likely for me anyway. So a realistic option, without abusing 'soft' rules, would be to come in on a visa exempt stamp and then change to a Non O based on marriage in country. Then apply for extension based on marriage (with 400K) and then obtain a multiple re-entry permit for 3800 baht.

Would that be correct ??

Without a visa the airline might not let you board the plane unless you have proof of onward travel within 30 days of arrival.

Would that be correct ??

Without a visa the airline might not let you board the plane unless you have proof of onward travel within 30 days of arrival.

I travel on seamans tickets and have a discharge book (that sounds real dodgy).. Never have any issues due to this.

Australia's the same just got my non-o based on marriage and they want $50,000 aust dollars in your bank account or a monthly salary doesn't matter where the bank is. All paper work has to be in Thai and this was done at the new Perth consulate.

this is scaremongering just come back from perth on monday got my non o based on marrage muilt no money asked for and no money shown $50,000 au is 1.4 mil I think you are totaly wrong

Well lucky for you that they didn't ask for any income or proof of savings but the file i just attached says it in black and white. on page 2.

Australia's the same just got my non-o based on marriage and they want $50,000 aust dollars in your bank account or a monthly salary doesn't matter where the bank is. All paper work has to be in Thai and this was done at the new Perth consulate.

this is scaremongering just come back from perth on monday got my non o based on marrage muilt no money asked for and no money shown $50,000 au is 1.4 mil I think you are totaly wrong

Well lucky for you that they didn't ask for any income or proof of savings but the file i just attached says it in black and white. on page 2.

2013 ThaiConsulatePerth_VisaApplicationForm.pdf

2013 ThaiConsulatePerth_VisaApplicationForm.pdf

People are saying it is only for Hull but , for example, the Birmingham Consulate website states that all Non Imm. O's now have to be approved by the Thai Embassy in London and its website states that a 800KBht ANNUAL income is reqd:

REQUIRED DOCUMENTS

1. Validity of passport at least 1 year
  2. Three (3) visa application forms and 3 passport size recent photographs
  3. Non-Immigrant “O-A” (Long Stay) Form
  4. Copy of bank statement having in possession of annually income equivalent to Thai currency at
    least 800,000 Baht or monthly income 65,000 Baht. (approximately GBP 14,000.00/annum)
  5. In case attached copy of bank statement, the original reference letter from the banking concerned is necessary.
  6. Criminal Record from own country and country of permanent residence with validity of at least 3 months. Applicants residing in the United Kingdom will need to have a police clearance issued only from the Scotland Yard.
  7. Medical Record proving applicant has never been infected with contagious disease with validity at least 3 months (in accordance with Immigration Act B.E.2522)
  8. In case wishing to be accompanied by spouse, the marriage certificate will be attached. But spouse will be granted Non-Immigrant “O” instead of “O-A”(Long Stay)

So does this mean when I go do my Non Imm O extension (based on marriage + kids) in early December I have to now show 800,000B in the bank for 3 months? This will totally mess me up. I won't be able to show the funds in the bank for the 3 months. The time has already passed. I don't usually keep much money in my personal account only in my joint account and transfer it over a few days before the 2 months time frame. I usually show a lump sum not monthly income. Now this will change everything. It will cause a huge headache at the Imm. What to do?

This will be my 6th extension. Probably my last (It'll be 1,200,000B needed for a Non Imm O visa before we know it) What's going on?

So does this mean when I go do my Non Imm O extension (based on marriage + kids) in early December I have to now show 800,000B in the bank for 3 months? This will totally mess me up. I won't be able to show the funds in the bank for the 3 months. The time has already passed. I don't usually keep much money in my personal account only in my joint account and transfer it over a few days before the 2 months time frame. I usually show a lump sum not monthly income. Now this will change everything. It will cause a huge headache at the Imm. What to do?

This will be my 6th extension. Probably my last (It'll be 1,200,000B needed for a Non Imm O visa before we know it) What's going on?

No, it does not mean that. The rules for getting an extension of stay have not changed.

• Like 1

No, it does not mean that. The rules for getting an extension of stay have not changed.

Thank God. Thanks Mario2008 for the reply.

Applies to single men over 50 to.

If your 50+ and cant scrape 800 k baht together , I think you have bigger worries than being able to stay in Thailand.

Yeah! You're absolutely correct. Unless you are fortunate to be Nowegian or Russian, if you can't scrape 800K baht together, then you do have bigger problems that being able to stay in Thailand.

Unfortunately, for many "farangs", the gods have not been as generous to them, as they (the gods) have been to others. Many expats are here, simply because the annual rise in the cost of living index @ home has outpaced their ability to provide a decent standard of living for themselves. Thus, Thailand is available.

The real tragedy is that there is so little solidarity among "farangs", who spend considable beer time & effort playing the pretentious game of "one upmanship" with each other. The American expats, of course, take the blue ribbon prize, in the fragmentation and "lack of solidarity" department. So, its no small wonder that the Russians keep to themselves, and maintain considerable distance.

So, if you can afford to help out another expat from your home country, then simply do so, with the help of a Thai lawyer. I have seen far too many expats who will risk losing millions of baht, over the "whining & crying" sob stories of Nana Plaza / Pattaya Beach bargirls, but wouldn't spend 100 baht to buy a destitute expat a meal & shower for the day. That is truly tragic, and indicative of why the western world is losing its grip.

There are no starving Asians, either in Asia or the Western world. Hmm! I wonder why not? Guess you need to be a rocket scientist to figure that out, eh?

• Like 2

Would that be correct ??

I travel on seamans tickets and have a discharge book (that sounds real dodgy).. Never have any issues due to this.

I also travel on a Seaman's book and frequently get asked about my onward travel at check in. I've been denied boarding once and had to buy an ongoing flight ticket from BKK to Dubai that everyone knew I had zero intention of taking just because an airline jobsworth enforced the official rule. They didn't care that I had kids in Thailand and could get a 60 day extension as that is not part of the conditions on your travel to Thailand. You need an onward travel plan or you could be denied boarding.

Now I usually buy an Air Asia ticket from somewhere in the most Southern part of Thailand to KL for about 1000 baht just to present to check in if they ask me. I've needed it a couple of times too.

• Like 1

Would that be correct ??

I also travel on a Seaman's book and frequently get asked about my onward travel at check in. I've been denied boarding once and had to buy an ongoing flight ticket from BKK to Dubai that everyone knew I had zero intention of taking just because an airline jobsworth enforced the official rule. They didn't care that I had kids in Thailand and could get a 60 day extension as that is not part of the conditions on your travel to Thailand. You need an onward travel plan or you could be denied boarding.

Now I usually buy an Air Asia ticket from somewhere in the most Southern part of Thailand to KL for about 1000 baht just to present to check in if they ask me. I've needed it a couple of times too.

Isn't it all crazy crap. sad.png

• Like 1