All Non O Visas from Hull now need 800K Bht in the bank

I live in Thailand and just had my 3rd marriage visa in a row done a week ago. My wife does not share my last name. I showed them 400K in the bank and gave the lawyer 14k. He took my passport for 1 day and came back with the stamp and had my 90 day redone as well.

You paid 14k baht baht to get an extension that only costs 1900 baht.

What a waste of money to pay for something you can do yourself.

Perhaps I could wash his car for say, eeeer 3000bht....................whistling.gif

• Replies 465
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I travel on seamans tickets and have a discharge book (that sounds real dodgy).. Never have any issues due to this.

I also travel on a Seaman's book and frequently get asked about my onward travel at check in. I've been denied boarding once and had to buy an ongoing flight ticket from BKK to Dubai that everyone knew I had zero intention of taking just because an airline jobsworth enforced the official rule. They didn't care that I had kids in Thailand and could get a 60 day extension as that is not part of the conditions on your travel to Thailand. You need an onward travel plan or you could be denied boarding.

Now I usually buy an Air Asia ticket from somewhere in the most Southern part of Thailand to KL for about 1000 baht just to present to check in if they ask me. I've needed it a couple of times too.

Isn't it all crazy crap. sad.png

It is, and this brings me back to my first post in this thread of one of the bigger reasons why I'm not chancing being allowed to stay in this country for the next 18 years to raise my kids here when in a couple of years somebody one day decides something more obscure like expats are not allowed to stay in Thailand for a certain amount of days every year.

This is madness. Now you need 800k in the bank simply for the privilege of spending 90 days with your spouse? What on earth is going on?

Just come to India and pay 50 US dollars wifes id and a letter of invitation and get 90 days single entry if multi entry just make it 75 $ and enjoy Visa with in 3 days passport at u r door step

I live in Thailand and just had my 3rd marriage visa in a row done a week ago. My wife does not share my last name. I showed them 400K in the bank and gave the lawyer 14k. He took my passport for 1 day and came back with the stamp and had my 90 day redone as well.

Perhaps I could wash his car for say, eeeer 3000bht....................whistling.gif alt=whistling.gif>

He is Buying time and peace with money by drinking beer at home and got visa extended i think its good if any one can afford do it it cannot dont buy it plz dont be offended just a caption how people spend their monies Good luck man

Perhaps I could wash his car for say, eeeer 3000bht....................whistling.gif

I was directing my comment to those who are angry at the new rules, and there may be more to the story; The point I was trying to make is; there are always options of getting things sorted out......

Edited by alphaflight

You have exploited nothing because you can meet the extension requirements. (There was NOTHING stopping you getting an extension).

There are many that cannot

I'm guessing not a lot of thought went into that post because technically, what you are saying is that for 2 people using exactly the same method of staying here, one is innocent because he has money but the other is guilty because he doesn't?

So if you have 800,000, but come here and spend very little you are a model citizen, and if you don't have 800,000 but come here and spend 60,000 a month, you're scum?

Just asking, because I have friends who fall into both categories. One guy I know (on an 800,000 retirement visa) lives - perfectly contentedly I might add - on $500 a month.

i don't make the rules bobl, I just try to understand them.

You have the required funds you get past "GO" if you haven't got the required funds then you are not in the board game.

Pretty much simple as that.

This is madness. Now you need 800k in the bank simply for the privilege of spending 90 days with your spouse? What on earth is going on?

Just come to India and pay 50 US dollars wifes id and a letter of invitation and get 90 days single entry if multi entry just make it 75 $ and enjoy Visa with in 3 days passport at u r door step

This forum is called THAI visa for a reason!whistling.gif

We like Thai ladies giggle.gif , and despite all the red tape we are not ready for Smelly Delly yet!w00t.gif

I predicted this was going to happen and cited it as one of the reasons that we will move back to the UK when our kids are of school age because as an expat you are really at the mercy of the next year's visa changes.

I'm 35 and have 2 children with my partner, I was mulling over the option of raising our kids in Thailand because we are very close to our Thai family, however I knew that over the next 18 years that anything can happen to the visa rules and I would be forever at the mercy of whatever was decided year to year.

4 years ago I could get this visa just for visiting a Thai friend. Then it changed to you must have a baby with a Thai. The next year you needed to be married to a Thai, and then you had to be married and have 400k Baht in a Thai bank. This coming year it's upped to 800k, so just in the space of 4 years it's gone from visiting a friend to needed to be married with quite a hefty wedge of cash sat in a Thai bank. How much stricter are they going to make it over the next 18 years? All they need to do is make some rule like any expat is not allowed to spend more than say 90 days of any year in Thailand and that would destroy any life we built here after how ever many years our kids were growing up here for.

So either I forever live in fear of whatever visa conditions I need to fulfil next year and be treated as a national security risk and a 2nd class citizen for the rest of my life with my family here, or we all move back to the UK where my partner will have all of the rights and privileges I am entitled to.

Yes, everything you say is true and you should make your life plans accordingly.

I predicted this was going to happen and cited it as one of the reasons that we will move back to the UK when our kids are of school age because as an expat you are really at the mercy of the next year's visa changes.

I'm 35 and have 2 children with my partner, I was mulling over the option of raising our kids in Thailand because we are very close to our Thai family, however I knew that over the next 18 years that anything can happen to the visa rules and I would be forever at the mercy of whatever was decided year to year.

4 years ago I could get this visa just for visiting a Thai friend. Then it changed to you must have a baby with a Thai. The next year you needed to be married to a Thai, and then you had to be married and have 400k Baht in a Thai bank. This coming year it's upped to 800k, so just in the space of 4 years it's gone from visiting a friend to needed to be married with quite a hefty wedge of cash sat in a Thai bank. How much stricter are they going to make it over the next 18 years? All they need to do is make some rule like any expat is not allowed to spend more than say 90 days of any year in Thailand and that would destroy any life we built here after how ever many years our kids were growing up here for.

So either I forever live in fear of whatever visa conditions I need to fulfil next year and be treated as a national security risk and a 2nd class citizen for the rest of my life with my family here, or we all move back to the UK where my partner will have all of the rights and privileges I am entitled to.

I will say it again:

All farangs are here on a USER PAY BASIS. Doesn't matter if you have supported her extended family and others in her village for decades. Doesn't matter if you have a baker's dozen of loog krueng kids. Doesn't matter if you have established a successful business and pay sh_t tins of tax. You are not here as a father, friend, businessman, volunteer, benefactor, teacher, investor, expat. You are just a farang here on a USER PAY BASIS. The rules regarding your the amount of required payments will be changed by the Thai authorities periodically and arbitrarily. If you can no longer pay you will be shown the door...violently if required.

As it is in all countries...nothing unique to Thailand in this regard. All countries have the sovereign right to decide the terms and conditions under which non-citizens may reside within their borders.

• Like 1

Imposing prohibitive financial barriers on married couples simply wanting to be together is an infringement on Thailands legal commitments on international human rights. These new 'rules' need challenging and to be put under the media spotlight. This could be down to one idiot somewhere rather than official policy. Hopefully all those couples at risk will start writing to their relevant embassies in their thousands.

"Prohibitive," that's funny. Having to show financials of a few thousand pounds, basically that one isn't flat broke, is now a "prohibitive financial barrier." And this for someone who is a head of a household to boot!

• Like 1

People are saying it is only for Hull but , for example, the Birmingham Consulate website states that all Non Imm. O's now have to be approved by the Thai Embassy in London and its website states that a 800KBht ANNUAL income is reqd:

REQUIRED DOCUMENTS

1. Validity of passport at least 1 year
  2. Three (3) visa application forms and 3 passport size recent photographs
  3. Non-Immigrant “O-A” (Long Stay) Form
  4. Copy of bank statement having in possession of annually income equivalent to Thai currency at

least 800,000 Baht or monthly income 65,000 Baht. (approximately GBP 14,000.00/annum)

5. In case attached copy of bank statement, the original reference letter from the banking concerned is necessary.
  6. Criminal Record from own country and country of permanent residence with validity of at least 3 months. Applicants residing in the United Kingdom will need to have a police clearance issued only from the Scotland Yard.
  7. Medical Record proving applicant has never been infected with contagious disease with validity at least 3 months (in accordance with Immigration Act B.E.2522)
  8. In case wishing to be accompanied by spouse, the marriage certificate will be attached. But spouse will be granted Non-Immigrant “O” instead of “O-A”(Long Stay)

I called Birmingham this morning and they have received no notification of this and are still sending off NON O for marriage visas with NO proof of income and getting the NON O visa stamps ok. as stated previously, I have just sent mine off and see if it gets refused by them in the next few days.

This is for NON O visiting Thai wife not OA visa

Edited by kannot

Applies to single men over 50 to.

If your 50+ and cant scrape 800 k baht together , I think you have bigger worries than being able to stay in Thailand.

Yeah! You're absolutely correct. Unless you are fortunate to be Nowegian or Russian, if you can't scrape 800K baht together, then you do have bigger problems that being able to stay in Thailand.

Unfortunately, for many "farangs", the gods have not been as generous to them, as they (the gods) have been to others. Many expats are here, simply because the annual rise in the cost of living index @ home has outpaced their ability to provide a decent standard of living for themselves. Thus, Thailand is available.

The real tragedy is that there is so little solidarity among "farangs", who spend considable beer time & effort playing the pretentious game of "one upmanship" with each other. The American expats, of course, take the blue ribbon prize, in the fragmentation and "lack of solidarity" department. So, its no small wonder that the Russians keep to themselves, and maintain considerable distance.

So, if you can afford to help out another expat from your home country, then simply do so, with the help of a Thai lawyer. I have seen far too many expats who will risk losing millions of baht, over the "whining & crying" sob stories of Nana Plaza / Pattaya Beach bargirls, but wouldn't spend 100 baht to buy a destitute expat a meal & shower for the day. That is truly tragic, and indicative of why the western world is losing its grip.

There are no starving Asians, either in Asia or the Western world. Hmm! I wonder why not? Guess you need to be a rocket scientist to figure that out, eh?

Let me take a stab at it: The parents work their butts off, often in menial jobs and their kids study their asses off in school. In this way, the kids often become HS class valedictorians and go on prestigious universities and then on to high paying careers as doctors, lawyers, and engineers.

attachicon.gif2013 ThaiConsulatePerth_VisaApplicationForm.pdf

Australia's the same just got my non-o based on marriage and they want $50,000 aust dollars in your bank account or a monthly salary doesn't matter where the bank is. All paper work has to be in Thai and this was done at the new Perth consulate.

this is scaremongering just come back from perth on monday got my non o based on marrage muilt no money asked for and no money shown $50,000 au is 1.4 mil I think you are totaly wrong

Well lucky for you that they didn't ask for any income or proof of savings but the file i just attached says it in black and white. on page 2.

Wow, they must be insane. $50,000 AUD is like 1,5 Million Baht. For a multiple entry visa based on marriage to Thai wife? That's crazy!

http://thaiembassyuk.org.uk/?q=node/51

This website says "Non Immigrant O", but it's clear from the description that it's for retirement visas only. What about marriage visas? There are 2 different classes of "O" visas. Retirement and marriage. Seems they wiped out the marriage rules completely? Where is that now?

The link relates to the Thai Embassy and the O/A visa!

What to see more ?

Take a closer look at the website.

This website says "Non Immigrant O", but it's clear from the description that it's for retirement visas only. What about marriage visas? There are 2 different classes of "O" visas. Retirement and marriage. Seems they wiped out the marriage rules completely? Where is that now?

The Royal Thai Embassy in London lists the requirements for the multiple-entry non-O visa here:

http://thaiembassyuk.org.uk/?q=node/49

Category "O" with multiple entries

Pension earners or Applicants over 50 years of age, following document is required;

- Pension statement if the applicant is a pension earner, or

- Proof of income with a minimum of £1,400.00 per month or

- Thai Spouse visa with a copy of marriage certificate and passport or Thai ID of spouse and (3 months bank statement showing monthly income of more than

£1,400.00 or £16,500 anuually for those who have been issue category O with multiple entries)

It's a bit confusing. For example, why is the financial requirement in parenthesis for what they call the "Thai Spouse visa"? At any rate, just for the record, the financial requirements currently listed on the website of the MFA for the non-O visa, regardless of the number of entries, is as follows and one should think that this is the maximum that Thai consulates world-wide should be allowed to require:

- Evidence of adequate finance ( 20,000 Baht per person and 40,000 Baht per family )

Are we seeing a competition of which Thai consul is the least able to follow the guidelines of the MFA and can come up with the most absurd financial requirements?

• Like 1

Imposing prohibitive financial barriers on married couples simply wanting to be together is an infringement on Thailands legal commitments on international human rights. These new 'rules' need challenging and to be put under the media spotlight. This could be down to one idiot somewhere rather than official policy. Hopefully all those couples at risk will start writing to their relevant embassies in their thousands.

"Prohibitive," that's funny. Having to show financials of a few thousand pounds, basically that one isn't flat broke, is now a "prohibitive financial barrier." And this for someone who is a head of a household to boot!

800,000 baht for a 90 day visa seems a little overboard. And why must it be money in bank acct and not other financial accounts as well

Removed off-topic posts about extensions of stay (from immigration office). This topic is about the non-O visa (from the Royal Thai Consulate in Hull, UK, but has expanded to irregular requirements for this visa by other Thai consulates, which is acceptable in this case). Further off-topic posts of this nature may be removed without special mention. If your post disappears, you will know why.

The Royal Thai Embassy in London lists the requirements for the multiple-entry non-O visa here:

http://thaiembassyuk.org.uk/?q=node/49

Category "O" with multiple entries

Pension earners or Applicants over 50 years of age, following document is required;

- Pension statement if the applicant is a pension earner, or

- Proof of income with a minimum of £1,400.00 per month or

- Thai Spouse visa with a copy of marriage certificate and passport or Thai ID of spouse and (3 months bank statement showing monthly income of more than

£1,400.00 or £16,500 anuually for those who have been issue category O with multiple entries)

It's a bit confusing. For example, why is the financial requirement in parenthesis for what they call the "Thai Spouse visa"? At any rate, just for the record, the financial requirements currently listed on the website of the MFA for the non-O visa, regardless of the number of entries, is as follows and one should think that this is the maximum that Thai consulates world-wide should be allowed to require:

- Evidence of adequate finance ( 20,000 Baht per person and 40,000 Baht per family )

Are we seeing a competition of which Thai consul is the least able to follow the guidelines of the MFA and can come up with the most absurd financial requirements?

Its incredible. The Ministry is very clear as to what is required and yet each country seems to be following different guidelines!! hull=800,000, perth australia 1.5 million!! , canada =nothing!! what an absurd situation!!

• Like 1

Thank you for uploading that form. I can't find the website of the consulate in Perth. Did you get the application form by email? I am asking because since we now know already about three consulates, in two countries, with financial requirements for the non-O visa to visit family in deviation of the information shown on the MFA website I am trying to keep track with this spreadsheet:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AjabLGeaQaAcdEFEUFppQjh0ZTQtSDMzaVNuZnZmZ1E&usp=sharing

Had email from hull last night,£20000 in my Lloyds e-savers account ,was not good enough, for multientry O visa (I am over 50), I have had this money in this account for the last 5 years and have had a O visa for the last 5 years,I have had to transfer money into my current account .....now, not sure if I will get visa as they may say it has to have been in account 3 months ....<deleted>...

• Like 2

Thank you for uploading that form. I can't find the website of the consulate in Perth. Did you get the application form by email? I am asking because since we now know already about thre consulates, in two countries, with financial requirements for the non-O visa to visit family in deviation of the information shown on the MFA website I am trying to keep track with this spreadsheet:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AjabLGeaQaAcdEFEUFppQjh0ZTQtSDMzaVNuZnZmZ1E&usp=sharing

and here is vancouver, canada for your spreadsheet!! no money required

http://www.thaicongenvancouver.org/cms/index.php?option=content&task=view&id=131

6. For the purpose of visiting family in Thailand or visiting as a spouse of a Thai national:

• The applicant must present a valid and effective marriage certificate and a copy of the spouse's Thai passport/I.D. card. Fiancés are not included in this category.
  • To visit as the relative of a Thai national, the applicant must show documents proving such a relationship.
Edited by AYJAYDEE

I am only collating information about consulates that use stricter financial requirements than those shown on the MFA website. Hopefully, they are few and far between.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Thank you for uploading that form. I can't find the website of the consulate in Perth. Did you get the application form by email? I am asking because since we now know already about three consulates, in two countries, with financial requirements for the non-O visa to visit family in deviation of the information shown on the MFA website I am trying to keep track with this spreadsheet:

I got it email to me by the consulate general of the Perth Embassy I did a google search as I heard it reopened and I got the old consulate g's number who gave me the new number, I was surprised to see that some of money also cause I never read that part the form the lady (Bee) who runs the front desk ask me where's my bank statement, told her didn't have it she said show statements of any banks with money on it and lucky for me my aus and Thai banks have a regular monthly incoming going into them.

I got it email to me by the consulate general of the Perth Embassy I did a google search as I heard it reopened and I got the old consulate g's number who gave me the new number, I was surprised to see that some of money also cause I never read that part the form the lady (Bee) who runs the front desk ask me where's my bank statement, told her didn't have it she said show statements of any banks with money on it and lucky for me my aus and Thai banks have a regular monthly incoming going into them.

you keep $50,000 in a bank account??

People are saying it is only for Hull but , for example, the Birmingham Consulate website states that all Non Imm. O's now have to be approved by the Thai Embassy in London and its website states that a 800KBht ANNUAL income is reqd:

REQUIRED DOCUMENTS

1. Validity of passport at least 1 year
  2. Three (3) visa application forms and 3 passport size recent photographs
  3. Non-Immigrant “O-A” (Long Stay) Form
  4. Copy of bank statement having in possession of annually income equivalent to Thai currency at

least 800,000 Baht or monthly income 65,000 Baht. (approximately GBP 14,000.00/annum)

5. In case attached copy of bank statement, the original reference letter from the banking concerned is necessary.
  6. Criminal Record from own country and country of permanent residence with validity of at least 3 months. Applicants residing in the United Kingdom will need to have a police clearance issued only from the Scotland Yard.
  7. Medical Record proving applicant has never been infected with contagious disease with validity at least 3 months (in accordance with Immigration Act B.E.2522)
  8. In case wishing to be accompanied by spouse, the marriage certificate will be attached. But spouse will be granted Non-Immigrant “O” instead of “O-A”(Long Stay)

David, a 'non o' visa and an 'o-a' visa are not the same and have different requirements.

Edited by sumrit
  • Like 1

This criteria is for retirement to thailand only. Age above 50 and 800k in bank.

For extensions of stay you have 3 options.

Having 800k baht in a Thai bank for 60 days for first extension then 90 days after that.

Or 65k baht income proven by a income letter from your embassy. This does have to be all pension income you can combine other sources of income with pension. The UK embassy is very flexible on this and even allows savings to be used in some cases.

Or having a combination of income and money in a Thai bank that totals up to 800k baht. For example income of 50k totals to 600k baht annual income plus 200k baht in bank.

Had email from hull last night,£20000 in my Lloyds e-savers account ,was not good enough, for multientry O visa (I am over 50), I have had this money in this account for the last 5 years and have had a O visa for the last 5 years,I have had to transfer money into my current account .....now, not sure if I will get visa as they may say it has to have been in account 3 months ....<deleted>...

Do you have income as well ?

800,000 baht for a 90 day visa seems a little overboard. And why must it be money in bank acct and not other financial accounts as well

It is actually a 12 month visa.