Mowing the Lawn....Need work Permit

Just curious????....As a farang Is mowing your lawn, painting your house, fixing the fence etc on your wife's property considered working for which a work permit is required?

I know it sounds ridiculous....BUT ....keep reading on how can't volunteer, can't teach a neighbor english for free ,etc.

• Like 1

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Technically yes but in reality no dependent how far you go with your activities.

You you want to build an addition to your house by yourself that would be going to far.

I think it would be safe to say that about 90% of Thais don't know a thing about work permits being needed.

Here's a recent example from the Phuket Gazette where two foriegners were arrested for building their own boats in their own gardens.

http://www.phuketgazette.net/phuket_news/2013/Phuket-Immigration-cracks-down-on-yachting-marine-industry-22294.html

That is what I would call going to far.

If they were just building/fixing their own boats for their own private purposes and NOT selling them for profit, then the authorities have gone too far.

Like other commentators have said, what's next, will I have to get a work permit to cut my own steak, or pour some water over my own plants?!! Of course not, what I do in my own house is my own business. Also, since my neighbors don't even have the decency to say hi to me or each other, then what I do in my own backyard or house is my own business, done - I live my life, they live theirs. ALso, perhaps the work permits of the Cambodian children begging in downtown Bangkok should be checked out. Oh wait that's right...not only do they not have work permits, but they are living in the Kingdom illegally!! Someone should tell the police - and of course bring along a Khmer speaking translator.

• Like 2

I've mowed my own lawn, painted my own house, fixed my own car, and just do a tons of things around the house to keep myself busy plus I'm a Do-It-Yourselfer type person. Haven't been arrested yet, but all of my Thai neighbors are amazed I can do all the stuff I do...of course, I'm amazed at the simple things my neighbors don't even attempt to do around their houses...they prefer to pay someone to do it...that's OK, it's their money.

My wife once asked me "Are we poor?"

So I said "Why would you ask that?"

And she said "Well....you work in the garden, you fix things around the house and you take the garbage out....In Thailand only people who can't afford workers do it themselves."

I laughed as I also enjoy doing these things around the house and as you say "keeps me busy"

Well that's what I call lazy. Another example: I asked a Thai friend (he's a computer programmer) if he has ever replaced a tyre on his car. The answer: "no, of course not! That's too complicated. I took it into the shop and asked them to do it for me."

Me? Well, just last month we had 2 tyre blowouts in Vietnam, and both me and my local Vietnamese friend quickly replaced the tyre involved and went to a shop to patch it up. We've replaced so many tyres in Vietnam just in the past 2 years alone, that would allow us to become experts at it by now.

The key thing is not to get someone upset and report you. When we moved into our first rental, we were told that a maid had been working for the previous renters, several renters over the years. She also cleaned the condos of some other renters on the same floor. We decided to keep her on, as recommended, rather than risk upsetting her and getting reported for cleaning our own place. She did an OK job and it wasn't expensive, so it wasn't a big burden. Plus, she taught us a little practical Thai language.

But, when we moved to another place that didn't "come with a maid", we started cleaning ourselves. We're retired, need the exercise and do a better job than the maid (although Hubby refuses to hang out the windows of the high-rise condo to clean the outside, the way the maid did)

• Like 2

Here's a recent example from the Phuket Gazette where two foriegners were arrested for building their own boats in their own gardens.

http://www.phuketgazette.net/phuket_news/2013/Phuket-Immigration-cracks-down-on-yachting-marine-industry-22294.html

If they were just building/fixing their own boats for their own private purposes and NOT selling them for profit, then the authorities have gone too far.

Like other commentators have said, what's next, will I have to get a work permit to cut my own steak, or pour some water over my own plants?!! Of course not, what I do in my own house is my own business. Also, since my neighbors don't even have the decency to say hi to me or each other, then what I do in my own backyard or house is my own business, done - I live my life, they live theirs. ALso, perhaps the work permits of the Cambodian children begging in downtown Bangkok should be checked out. Oh wait that's right...not only do they not have work permits, but they are living in the Kingdom illegally!! Someone should tell the police - and of course bring along a Khmer speaking translator.

The BIB may well have been paid off by the bosses of these juvenile Cambodian beggars!

• Like 1

I have always understood a work permit is required for all work that would normally be paid.

Would you normally pay yourself for mowing your own lawn or cleaning your own car?

Sent from my GT-I9003 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

I understand your point but I wouldnt pay myself to extend my home either.

It should be noted that the Work Permit can be a very specific piece of paper as well..ie you cant have a work permit to sell properties and then , say renovate or paint an absentee clients apartment , that job needs a seperate work permit.

Same if you want to go and 'jam' at the Blues Pub after work ...

IMO a farang can be 'got' for just about anything , thus keeping him in his place and thats how the authorities like it.

I did note that the authorities didnt demand Permits yesterday from the 40 or so Farangs who attended the volunteer beach clean up however...

Edited by zaZa9

So let me "go out on a limb" so to speak....
If a visitor were to start breathing once off the plane here, he would perhaps be replacing a Thai respiratory therapist job of attending a Ventilator??????

OK I admit I am being far out there but hay just a thought .cheesy.gif

Edited by lopburi3
correct font
  • Like 1

The working of aliens act tries to regulate work, not washing your won dishes or mowing your own lawn.

An "act" can't "try" to do anything as it is not a sentient being. People on the other hand, may try to use the act to their own selfish benefit; and as immigration has stated over and over; EVERY complaint must be investigated. The way the law is worded, you most certainly could be arrested for mowing your own lawn; without doubt.

Sent from my GT-I9300T using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

I''ll tell the wife that next time the yard needs mowing, I don't expect to get too far with it...55555555555555

I've mowed my own lawn, painted my own house, fixed my own car, and just do a tons of things around the house to keep myself busy plus I'm a Do-It-Yourselfer type person. Haven't been arrested yet, but all of my Thai neighbors are amazed I can do all the stuff I do...of course, I'm amazed at the simple things my neighbors don't even attempt to do around their houses...they prefer to pay someone to do it...that's OK, it's their money.

My wife once asked me "Are we poor?"

So I said "Why would you ask that?"

And she said "Well....you work in the garden, you fix things around the house and you take the garbage out....In Thailand only people who can't afford workers do it themselves."

I laughed as I also enjoy doing these things around the house and as you say "keeps me busy"

What a put down! sad.png

Depends if they were building the boats for resale or not. If it was for eesale they broke the law if not nothing will happen to them.

I explain to my dear wife I am not allowed to to do housework except closet beer opening and even then when she is away.Funny filling in endless TM forms and driving hundreds of km to renew permits is not considered work.Think I'll ask Immi to fill my forms in next time (NOT)clap2.gif

I was going to reply to this post, but then I realised that anything using knowledge or expertise is considered work.

As any reply would involve using my knowledge, I daren't reply as I don't have a work permit.

Sh*t, I've just realised that I used my knowledge when I posted. Expecting a knock on the door any time soon.

sad.png

I speculate that the "Phuket boat builders" may have indicated they were going to sell boats. Most farangs in my area do lots of their own projects. It is thought a bit strange by the Thai neighbors. Never doing any labor = weak bodies in humans - unless they have a fitness regime, it is no wonder the life-span is shorter.