The AirAsia website is designed to rip you off

Pinot

i agree that AA is a pain in the ass but you can bypass all their tricks. just stay cool and think "logic".

Try doing a booking for a group of 8 people like I had to do once.... and if you don't do it quick enough you just get logged out and have to start over again with all the un-clicking of each and every item that is just added and you don't need....

Yes that is a pain. I have 5 on my next trip. I had to login to my account and add them all as guests.

The guest wont show up in chrome on a mac so I use safari for them.

I book the tickets and pay and then go back and get the seats and food because it will time out.

I have flown a lot with them never had a problem.

I often take the Hot Seats in the front which are very comfortable and get you on and off the plane quicker.

Push selling is always there, but if you do a trial run first and take your time you will learn the patterns.

Some of these patterns are cryptic. If it doesnt seem to work the first time, just press the other button the next time.

Trial and error is the best way.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You must be old and tired not to be able to deal with such easy things that you can also find on western websites.

It is clear that you don't know what you are talking about and should try to improve instead of complaining. Things are not going to change because you are the problem.

• Like 2

What you don't understand is that with al the monkeys using Internet if you don't AUTOMATICALLY add insurance and luggages theses animals will call and complain that they booked with insurance and luggages but it didn't appear on the ticket !!!

You have no idea how the monkeys who use internet are stupid.

I manage more than 10 online shops and I could write a book about them.

• Like 1

I agree with the just press cancel for the insurance post, but also the change in flight times without updating their website. They don't accept domestic credit/debit cards blink.png.pagespeed.ce.AQgCnSOpp_.png alt=blink.png width=20 height=20> whereas the rest of the world does, so took myself along to my nearest agent to find the fare had magically increased by 1700 baht. I've heard you can pay at 7/11's. How? Can't see that option on their page.

HUH'

I use my Thai american express all the time

• Like 1

I do not think it is possible to get ripped off. Just review your options before you pay, and start over if you make a mistake. By default, the site may include insurance, but if you read carefully, it gives a way for you to decline. I am very happy with Air Asia, and never have been disappointed. Fantastic deals, if you purchase in advance and watch for the specials. If I find a flight from Udon to Bangkok for 500 baht, I book it right away. Then, if I cannot fly, it does not hurt too much if I have to cancel. Had a flight from Udon to Phuket for 900 baht. Cannot beat that. If I get impatient, I sometimes forget to cancel the insurance. No need to pay for good seats for a one or two hour flight. The insurance cancellation is a bit awkward, but if you read, it says hit cancel. I am very satisfied overall, and forgive that little push to sell their insurance. I also just use carry on. Flew with them dozens of times.

• Like 1

I agree with the just press cancel for the insurance post, but also the change in flight times without updating their website. They don't accept domestic credit/debit cards Posted Image whereas the rest of the world does, so took myself along to my nearest agent to find the fare had magically increased by 1700 baht. I've heard you can pay at 7/11's. How? Can't see that option on their page.

I never had a problem using a credit card. But they do charge you a fee for using the card.

"Doesn't work properly" and "Rip you off" are not one in the same.

the OP is not referring to the website not working properrly. he's talking about how it's designed to get you to buy things like flight insurance by default and if not alert you just bought whatever it is they shove down your throat by default. be extra aleret on all the bs on the site designed to get you to pay more. good job alerting everyone OP

• Like 1

I agree with the just press cancel for the insurance post, but also the change in flight times without updating their website. They don't accept domestic credit/debit cards blink.png whereas the rest of the world does, so took myself along to my nearest agent to find the fare had magically increased by 1700 baht. I've heard you can pay at 7/11's. How? Can't see that option on their page.

I never had a problem using a credit card. But they do charge you a fee for using the card.

thats an understatement (the charging of a fee)

I agree with the just press cancel for the insurance post, but also the change in flight times without updating their website. They don't accept domestic credit/debit cards blink.png whereas the rest of the world does, so took myself along to my nearest agent to find the fare had magically increased by 1700 baht. I've heard you can pay at 7/11's. How? Can't see that option on their page.

Small fee not worth mentioning, and my debit card works like a champ, Each and every time. The small charge is worth my convenience. Consider it gas money to drive down and buy a ticket. Yes, an agent wants a profit on top of the sale...thats how it is supposed to work. In Chiang Mai, the Air Asia Office by the Tapae Gate charged only 100 baht over the price online. Now I just print my boarding pass, bypass the gaggly-fck passengers loaded down with suitcases and golf carts, and go right to security

It took me less than two (2) minutes to get to the final screen.

Full disclosure: I do not work for FD, nor have I ever flown with them.

Seems relatively simple, straight-forward, easy to follow. All I did was read the various screens.

The only thing I found interesting was that for this dummy booking: DMK-CNX-DMK, that you had to pay at least 79 baht for a seat!

Even the pre-booked seat can be undone (I admit, it takes some "figuring it out"...). The other discount airlines all doing this. And the fare will about double once the taxes & fees - the unavoidable ones - are added in. It's just all part of the game now. Expect it & keep your eyes open when booking online.

I love Air Asia and always look them up first to see if they are going where I'm going. I gladly pay for all available extras: insurance (because you never know...); meal, hot seats, extra baggage, and STILL the price seems reasonable. It's all spelled out for you...accept or decline. The staff are unfailingly polite, and the on-time record matches up well with anyone else's.

OP is entitled to his opinion, but I am a total fan. Go Tony. I wish he was the boss of Thai Air.

What I love about Air Asia is the seating fee... $2 the last time I booked a flight. Wonder what they would say if I said I wanted to stand? LOL. But I have flown them many times and always booked online. I never have had an issue. For me it works and simply by saying "no" to the 'ads' I get through the process quickly and easily. I also have found the flights to be rather nice... okay not always as it should be, but it is nice to be able at a price we can afford, to be able to purchase a 'sleeper seat' for those longer haul

flights they have. Hay, Air Asia is a budget airline and yes I do not think that it is completely fare that they charge much less from their KUL hub to, say BKK, as they do to KUL... but what the hell.

I fully agree with the OP on this one. I have rarely been as frustrated as when I've used the AirAsia website. It really does seem to be carefully designed to confound the casual user and, I would even say, "trick" them into buying some of the "unbundled" items. As a consequence I've already taken some of the other posters' advice and always look elsewhere before even considering AirAsia.

RS

It absolutely is designed with, shall we say, sand traps in the hopes of getting you to slip up and buy something you didn't want. There is no question deceptiveness was deliberately designed in. Just be careful as you step through the screens and get to the final REAL price.

What I love about Air Asia is the seating fee... $2 the last time I booked a flight. Wonder what they would say if I said I wanted to stand? LOL.

That is a selected seat fee. If you don't select your own seat you don't pay that. Took me a bit to figure out that one.

Small fee not worth mentioning, and my debit card works like a champ, Each and every time. The small charge is worth my convenience. Consider it gas money to drive down and buy a ticket. Yes, an agent wants a profit on top of the sale...thats how it is supposed to work. In Chiang Mai, the Air Asia Office by the Tapae Gate charged only 100 baht over the price online. Now I just print my boarding pass, bypass the gaggly-fck passengers loaded down with suitcases and golf carts, and go right to security

Okay, again. Air.Asia.Will.NOT.Accept.A.THAI.Debit.Card. Got it? Good. <deleted>

I agree with the just press cancel for the insurance post, but also the change in flight times without updating their website. They don't accept domestic credit/debit cards Posted Image whereas the rest of the world does, so took myself along to my nearest agent to find the fare had magically increased by 1700 baht. I've heard you can pay at 7/11's. How? Can't see that option on their page.

Okay, again. Air.Asia.Will.NOT.Accept.A.THAI.Debit.Card. Got it? Good. <deleted>

You said in your post "credit/debit card" and Airasia do accept Thai credit cards. Got it?

I agree with the just press cancel for the insurance post, but also the change in flight times without updating their website. They don't accept domestic credit/debit cards blink.png.pagespeed.ce.AQgCnSOpp_.png alt=blink.png width=20 height=20> whereas the rest of the world does, so took myself along to my nearest agent to find the fare had magically increased by 1700 baht. I've heard you can pay at 7/11's. How? Can't see that option on their page.

HUH'

I use my Thai american express all the time

<deleted>? I am neither American nor hold a Thai 'American Express (lol) card'. read it AGAIN. A THAI DOMESTIC CARD. <deleted>.

I do wish posters would step BACK from their keyboards IF they've nothing constructive to add. And you complain about the 'nonsensical' Thais. Off you pop now. Get yourself another Chang.

prehaps u need to rethink what u said

I hold a American express card issued in Thailand, billied in Thailand in Thai baht,

Thats about as domestic as one can get

My nationality has nothing to do with it

Edited by phuketrichard
  • Like 1

That's their business model...total un-bundling. Yes, you have to uncheck a number of things, but the system does work if you pay attention.

The problem I've had with them is for some reason, they have a hard time with numerous CC companies and I've had times when three or four (good, working USA cards carrying little balance if any) won't process with them. I googled and found this was not an uncommon problem and that the solution was to phone long distance to pay. Too much trouble for me, so they lost some of my business.

As for the flights and prices? I've always been fine with it and found them to be a good air service for the money.

It's difficult to complain when a flight is "free" or "10USD" and then you add back in airport fees and whatever other charges they can convince you to pay. People don't really expect to be flown completely for free, do they?

You guys are getting way too worked up about this. Calm down and grow up a bit.

indeed, don't get the big deal about this. you buy a pair of shoes in a shop and they try to hawk you the overpriced polish, scotchgard and whatnot - you just say 'no thanks'. same goes here, a few clicks of the mouse and you've opted out of the stuff you don't want. can't blame a company trying to make money for being a wee bit pushy, and it isn't like they are 'hidden' extras - you know that they exist. all you have to do is say 'no thanks'.

• Like 1

I fly with Air Asia a number of times each year and my experience is that their web-site could definitely be more user friendly. I have my own travel insurance so I always cancel Air Asia's offer though you have to read the instructions carefully or you'll be asked again. They also ask again when you go to print out your boarding pass which is a pain. The baggage charge is there for all to see though the system does seem to remember your previous choice.

I like an aisle seat and one close to the front of the plane so I can get to Immigration quicker so I don't really object to paying a small fee to reserve the seat I want. I do, however, draw the line at the more expensive seats on offer.

I've checked other airlines when booking flights and even with all the add-ons, Air Asia is still cheaper than the full cost airlines. Yes, you may get a meal free of charge with them but is that really that important on a short 2 - 3 hour flight?

Alan

• Like 1

Bad service in Don Meuang thousand passengers checking in only few counters open waiting 1 hours before can check in please be there 2 -3 hours in airport before your departure time.

i do the self-checkin. friendly assistance (not that i need it), takes 2 minutes... i always travel light and only carry hand-luggage. am an experienced packer as i used to fly ryanair a billion times. i even carry a water boiler with me (in handluggage) and small netbook plus all clothes i need. forbidden stuff like fluids i buy on destination.

I've used Air Asia many times and had no problems so long as I remembered to cancel insurance 'hot seat' etc. However, just recently, when booking a flight to Jakarta I found that I couldn't progress to the second page to give passenger details. I called the Bangkok office and explained the problem. A very helpful lady asked me which operating system I was using. 'Explorer 7' I replied. She said that only Explorer 8 onwards supported their website. 'Do you have Mozilla Firefox?' she asked. 'Yes' I replied so I switched to Mozilla and all went swimmingly. No probs. Not exactly on subject I know but useful to know.

I used to fly AA 10x/year, nowadays I prefer booking all-in with Nok or Thai smile.

AA website is misleading indeed, you constantly need to uncheck options.

I flew a return Udon-Bangkok earlier this month with Thai Smile for 915THB and have similar one upcoming in a few days traveling with wife and kid: 3x915THB, that's 2745, allowed 3 bags 20kgs each, get 500 miles on FF card, can't buy petrol for that, Thai normal price is around 2300 one way, the trick to book Thai promotions is to check their promotions and book from there.

I also check Nok prices, sometimes around 1k baht one way, no messing with luggage and fees.

I have one AA return left over for October, 3500THB for the 3 of us without luggage and seat selection, will add some options a few days before flight, but Thai Smile promotion was better. In stead of booking 6 months in advance I will check promotions from other companies within 90 days to come and decide on leisure trips.

Seems they lost my family as a customer.

Edited by tartempion
  • Like 1