Insect leg found inside fruit bowl on Phuket flight

webfact

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Could be a "plant". In other words, we have people who deliberately place bugs in food to get free meals. Plastic wrap looks to be disturbed to me.

You serious? airline meals are already free and do you really want a second after the first? Also if the meal was uneaten, why would you want to trade it for another?

Edited by Card

I thought this was supposed to be vegetarian month or week or whatever? Insects get in everything. It's their job. Here is what is allowed in USA: In order to qualify as U.S. No. 1 Grade, the commodities listed below cannot exceed the following limits of contamination:

Ketchup -- 30 fruit fly eggs per 100 grams

Canned corn -- 2 insect larvae per 100 grams

Blueberries -- 2 maggots per 100 berries

Peanut butter -- 50 insect fragments per 100 grams

Curry powder -- 100 insect fragments per 100 grams

Wheat -- 1% of grains infested

Sesame seed -- 5% of seeds infested

Coffee -- 10% of beans infested

Someone else had obviously ordered the 'Isaan meal' and it was sent to the wrong seat. smile.png

[before you jump on me, I love Isaan and am quite partial to insects so long as they're dead and cooked].

Yuuuuuuukkkk, you must have some stomach. If you are not Farang, sorry.

This is life. A few years back I was staying at a 5-star brand-name hotel in Kuala Lumpur for a conference. In the hotel restaurant, I saw a largish cockroach scampering across a cheesecake so I alerted the restaurant manager. His response? He said something along the lines of "this happens whenever they spray the rooms... all the roaches come down here for a few days before they go back up". In his mind, that was sufficient 'explanation'. If I recall, they made a half-hearted attempted to find the critter... I think the cheesecake stayed put. At least this airline took the matter seriously...

then it is your responsibility to do something about it. Email the corporate headquarters, put a message in Tripadvisor etc.

Sorry, but I had more important things to do with my time back then. I alerted management ... I have no responsibility to follow-up on any actions they may or may not have taken.

This is nothing compared with Tesco-Lotus, Seacon Square, where there are many cockroaches and even rats running around. I wrote a complaint but nothing happened. If it was Tesco UK, the supermarket would have been closed immediately and fumigated. I have even seen a large rat run over the foot of a member of Tesco's Staff and they were not at all concerned.

I was very ill after flying Bangkok Airways from Lampang last month and I put it down to the salad also.

A rat landed on my foot when I was walking down Beach Road in Pattaya, and I wasn't wearing socks, it jumped back off again, lovely cuddly little things.

just a proof that quality control & food safety means nothing in this country

Things like that have happened in every country around the world, but never let facts get in the way of some Thailand bashing.

• Like 2

This is nothing compared with Tesco-Lotus, Seacon Square, where there are many cockroaches and even rats running around. I wrote a complaint but nothing happened. If it was Tesco UK, the supermarket would have been closed immediately and fumigated. I have even seen a large rat run over the foot of a member of Tesco's Staff and they were not at all concerned.

I was very ill after flying Bangkok Airways from Lampang last month and I put it down to the salad also.

A rat landed on my foot when I was walking down Beach Road in Pattaya, and I wasn't wearing socks, it jumped back off again, lovely cuddly little things.

I had a pet rat in grad school. They actually make great pets if you don't have space for a dog ... can even teach them tricks. I picked up a pretty girl hitchhiker once, and she spent most of the 4 hour drive petting the rat on her lap. When I dropped her off in Toronto she said to me, "that's a lovely hamster you have there". I figured I best not correct her on it... :-)

I had a pet rat in grad school. They actually make great pets if you don't have space for a dog ... can even teach them tricks. I picked up a pretty girl hitchhiker once, and she spent most of the 4 hour drive petting the rat on her lap. When I dropped her off in Toronto she said to me, "that's a lovely hamster you have there". I figured I best not correct her on it... :-)

I used to have pet rats when I was younger, they are very affectionate.

Someone else had obviously ordered the 'Isaan meal' and it was sent to the wrong seat. smile.png

[before you jump on me, I love Isaan and am quite partial to insects so long as they're dead and cooked].

Yuuuuuuukkkk, you must have some stomach. If you are not Farang, sorry.

Try it ... you may be surprised. Some of them go quite well with beer. Except I always get cricket legs caught between my teeth. (Yeah, I'm a farang).

Here's my gf out bug hunting just yesterday:

97500874528D4BB69CB851D04A5D2A81.jpg

"The airline gave his family 3 free domestic travel tickets"
Knowing Thai people, everyone is going to travel with their own pet-insect now!!whistling.gif

Not a big deal Bankok Airways have excellent reputation, it happens to all airlines from time to time some of the countries that food is prepared for airlines it is a wonder how things are not found on all international flights.

This type of thing happening in a flight kitchen in most countries is kind of rare. I would think even in Thailand as it appears the kitchens here follow the same HAACP requirements as most other countries. No doubt the kitchen where this "leg" originated will be getting a dressing down. Living in Thailand for several years now, I probably would have just asked for a new fruit bowl from the flight attendant or just flicked the leg away and eaten the rest.

I thought this was supposed to be vegetarian month or week or whatever? Insects get in everything. It's their job. Here is what is allowed in USA: In order to qualify as U.S. No. 1 Grade, the commodities listed below cannot exceed the following limits of contamination:

Ketchup -- 30 fruit fly eggs per 100 grams

Canned corn -- 2 insect larvae per 100 grams

Blueberries -- 2 maggots per 100 berries

Peanut butter -- 50 insect fragments per 100 grams

Curry powder -- 100 insect fragments per 100 grams

Wheat -- 1% of grains infested

Sesame seed -- 5% of seeds infested

Coffee -- 10% of beans infested

That isn't even the full list of the limits for that Grade A rating.

Ignorance is bliss.

I used to have pet rats when I was younger, they are very affectionate.

is your favorite song "Ben" by Micheal Jackson?

as to the story: it was only a matter of time before the last mafia in Thailand heard about all the "Pie" in Phuket. giggle.gif

Why wasn't he sued for defamation? Isn't that how you make most negative publicity go away in Thailand? smile.pngsmile.png

As long as we are on insects, this article was bound to inspire insect mentalities to spin it into absurd and uncalled for nastiness. clap2.gifclap2.gif

• Like 1

That kind of thing is just not cricket! At first when I saw the headline I thought someone was pulling my leg. Bangkok Airways CEO's first thought was "its really going to kick off now".

Definitely not cricket. A cockroach the article says.

• Like 1

That kind of thing is just not cricket! At first when I saw the headline I thought someone was pulling my leg. Bangkok Airways CEO's first thought was "its really going to kick off now".

Yeah, what is this?! Complain when you have a leg up on the other passengers? In first class they should get at least two just to maintain appearances. Maybe they stumbled on an effective cockroach trap and don't know it (fruit bowl and alert passengers).

• Like 1