Phuket: DSI details cases of black taxi gangsterism

webfact

Are we all surprised at this report ? I for sure am not. This sort of activity goes on just about every where here on 'Paradise Island'. I really hope this DSI mob clean it up, but money always talks here on Paradise Island.

Sorry LIK but in case you hadn't noticed, TV users have renamed Phuket "Island of hate & pain." Please from now on, refer to Phuket with this name...wai2.gif

IMO anyone that CHOOSES to go to the "Island of hate & pain." deserves what they get. Anyone these days that doesn't research a place before shelling out vast sums of money is asking for trouble.

Edited by thaibeachlovers
  • Like 1

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Are we all surprised at this report ? I for sure am not. This sort of activity goes on just about every where here on 'Paradise Island'. I really hope this DSI mob clean it up, but money always talks here on Paradise Island.

Sorry LIK but in case you hadn't noticed, TV users have renamed Phuket "Island of hate & pain." Please from now on, refer to Phuket with this name...wai2.gif

IMO anyone that CHOOSES to go to the "Island of hate & pain." deserves what they get. Anyone these days that doesn't research a place before shelling out vast sums of money is asking for trouble.

You don't "shell out vast sums of money" to get to Phuket. There are many cheap flights to Phuket. You only "shell out vast sums of money" once you get here. smile.pngsmile.png

Edited by NamKangMan
  • Like 2

Hotels can't do much as the thugs who monitor, control and overcharge the flow of guests to and from the hotel are representatives of the powers-that-be on Phuket.

May be true. But an international chain can't afford the reputation for not protecting their guests. Any guest getting that kind of treatment in Phuket is more than likely a customer lost for all their properties world wide.

I've stayed in some major chains in Pattaya, and they have signs posted all over to avoid the jet skis, and I occasionally hear and read about a jet ski scam victim seeking and getting protection in the major hotels- even if they're not guests at the time.

And I can't believe that a chain that has properties in Baghdad, Bogota, Tijuana, Kandahar, Moscow, and...(you get the drift) don't know how to deal with local hoodlums on their grounds, no matter who is behind them.

Makes me wonder if the home office(s) even know about the scope of the problem.

Edited by impulse

So much GREED at the top, that those in charge will never stop these wild and dangerous so called taxi mafia, or jet ski, mafia, etc etc.

Looks like the cops cant do much to help the unfortunate victims without risking a hasty transfer to some small town in rural Thailand.

What a pity for Phuket!

He added “After we received his complaints, we went to [the Novotel] and found that black taxi drivers were indeed blocking the way.”

But was any action taken? Of course not, the black taxi drivers have DSI in they'r pockets already, wonder how much they pay them to continue blockades and threats of real taxi and limousine drivers bah.gif

So why did the hotel allow these thugs to do this? Why not call the police and let the police appear they were doing their job for the DSI and arrest these guys for trespassing and being a menace?

Easy to answer: the police take bribes from the black taxi drivers, and don't wont to lose this income by make arrests whistling.gif

Two apparently unarmed guys defy Thailands finest. Hate to think what would happen if a pickup full of grannies went on a smash and grab raid at a Big C. They would have a filed day.

How about authority asserting itself. Sorry forgot, maybe money is involved.

The season can start - happy holiday! Welcome on Phuket Island.

What about the shuttle bus service at Phuket airport? Are there operating right now?

Cheers

I saw the Patong -> Airport bus running today.

was it running away from an angry mob of black taxi drivers?

No, this bus service has not attracted any taxi protest, as yet. The service seems to be operating smoothly.

But it was forbidden to go to Karon / Kata etc.. Due to the threat of protest.