Toilet seat diseases

itchybum

Sitting in what must be the countries cleanest toilet in Homepro the other day, I pondered the idea of what you can catch from the toilet.

You laugh at people that say you can catch aids or herpes or such from the toilet seat...but think about it, herpes requires I think touching to spread the virus....it only takes you todger to touch the wall where someone elses todger had also just touched the wall of the toilet.

Now don't be jealous, some of us do have todgers that can reach the sides of the bowls while seated, mine did the other day and it was this cold porcelain shock that got me thinking.

What if someone with a drippy todger had just sat here before me and did the same thing, some remnants of his disease left behind on the wall.

It would not be the first time also that I sat down and felt the cold water engulf my gonads....what lives in that water ?

Just interested if it is possible to catch a nasty from the toilet...all innocent like.

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I would be more worried about catching something off a tap or door knob that has been used by a hygienically challenged predecessor. I am, I touch as little as possible. The floors are very often impeccable but if you look up the walls a little, the layers of muck become quite inspiring. I never saw anyone cleaning taps.

• Like 1

Yes it is definitely possible. I always hold it while sitting coz there is no way I am going to let it touch the bowl.

But its just a toilet. Several studies have proven that there is much more bacteria on the average cellphone than on the toilet. You put it down everywhere, pick it up with dirty hands etc..

Is that how you got your name ? Itchybum?....lol

This taken from internet article..........

Yes, there can be plenty of bugs lying in wait in public restrooms, including both familiar and unfamiliar suspects like streptococcus, staphylococcus, E. coli and shigella bacteria, hepatitis A virus, the common cold virus, and various sexually transmitted organisms. But if your immune system is healthy, and if you adopt simple hygienic measures like handwashing, you should be able to deliver a knockout punch to most of what you encounter and perhaps put your "germ-phobia" to rest.

Edited by CharlieH
  • Like 1

I'm reluctant to comment, however, in my professional opinion as a Pharmacist who has treated thousands of patients with STD's and other known virus's I would say patients are generally open and honest with their Pharmacist and I've heard the toilet story plenty. I've read test data and frankly the environment was fairly sterile in the first place or had a larger percent of geriatric traffic - lets face it the malls are packed with sexually active kids in this part of the world, I am not saying they are carriers so please be kind. Lest we forget how dirty hospitals and pharmacies are.......

Do I buy it ? let's just say I don't do public washrooms at all unless it's an emergency, urinals yes often but with toilets I use toilet paper to cover the seat and use my foot to flush, I double wash my hands and use paper to open the door & the bidets no no and no. I'm not paranoid and there shouldn't be fear but how many times do we visit a washroom and see people leaving without washing their hands. The one advantage malls have here is there is generally a cleaner assigned and usually they keep them pretty clean.

In theory an open sore on your bottom could attract many things SO Itchybum stop scratching your bottom and plan ahead.

For a bit of humour- had a patient who swore he picked up crabs from doing his laundry in a public machine he visited the pharamcy and was almost ready to pass out because of the pain, when counselling him he confessed he slept with a girl and when he called her to say she had given him crabs she said just use Raid on them .....poor kid I really shouldn't laugh.

• Like 1

I'm reluctant to comment, however, in my professional opinion as a Pharmacist who has treated thousands of patients with STD's and other known virus's I would say patients are generally open and honest with their Pharmacist and I've heard the toilet story plenty. I've read test data and frankly the environment was fairly sterile in the first place or had a larger percent of geriatric traffic - lets face it the malls are packed with sexually active kids in this part of the world, I am not saying they are carriers so please be kind. Lest we forget how dirty hospitals and pharmacies are.......

Do I buy it ? let's just say I don't do public washrooms at all unless it's an emergency, urinals yes often but with toilets I use toilet paper to cover the seat and use my foot to flush, I double wash my hands and use paper to open the door & the bidets no no and no. I'm not paranoid and there shouldn't be fear but how many times do we visit a washroom and see people leaving without washing their hands. The one advantage malls have here is there is generally a cleaner assigned and usually they keep them pretty clean.

In theory an open sore on your bottom could attract many things SO Itchybum stop scratching your bottom and plan ahead.

For a bit of humour- had a patient who swore he picked up crabs from doing his laundry in a public machine he visited the pharamcy and was almost ready to pass out because of the pain, when counselling him he confessed he slept with a girl and when he called her to say she had given him crabs she said just use Raid on them .....poor kid I really shouldn't laugh.

I used petrol once as a young fellow for crabs.

So it is official, you can catch stuff from the toilet seat.

As for washing your hands every time after using a public toilet, well I only touch my todger while in there, nobody elses and I don't wash my hands some times and I often kick the door open, or dash out in the shadow of someone else.

One guy asked me in the loo one time, 'why I did not wash my hands'...told him I only touched my todger, not yours and its clean enough to eat, so mind your own business.

At one time I visited my doctor and asked; do lobsters walk sideways? The doctor said, NO. Darn, I replied, I must have crabs then.

I never crap in public toilets.

I'd have to hold the turtles head in and get home. I nearly shat myself once. It was a close call but I'll only piss in public.

Squeeze one out before you leave home is the answer.

If you've got the quick step, stay home.

• Like 1

To remain homebound to avoid the chance of needing to take a poo in a public toilet seems to me to be very dysfunctional and irrationally phobic behavior. Personally, I do miss my bum sprayer at home so often carry wet wipes while out and about.

Thats a very good idea...a small pack of sanitary wipes would do the trick for the seat, but not inside the bowl.

Although you could carry a small spray bottle of 'duck' and spray inside the rim and bowl before settling in.

By the way, girls do not have as much to worry about as they don't have the dangly bits to flop around the edges or in the drink.....well most don't anyway.

Edited by itchybum
  • Like 1