Need Help Getting Drivers License

stoli

My son is coming to visit for 50 days and we wanted to get him a Driver's License to go riding out in the villages legally. He does not have a motorcycle license in the states, yet has owned a dirt bike for 15 years so he knows how to ride. (You do not need a motorcycle license to ride a dirt bike in the US). I told him to apply for a 90 day Non-O visa, as I knew he could not get a license with a Tourist Visa. Just found out they turned him down for a Non-O visa without a work permit or being a student here. They sent him a Tourist Visa instead. Now we are back to step one. We are just trying to obey Thai laws and make sure that he is licensed to ride a motorbike rental. Does anyone know of a workaround for this situation, where he can legally receive a motorcycle drivers license while here. It is too late to get a motorcycle license in the states. Is there an avenue that I am missing? Thank you in advance for helpful information.

I have both my car and motorbike licenses on a 30 day visa waiver stamp. They only give you a 1 year temporary license though.. plenty of threads to give you the details.

Kurt

I understand the temporary license. I now have my 5 year license. Temporary is fine. Can I ask, did you get your permission letter from Jomtien Immigration? I have been through all the threads and the Thai official site clearly states that you can not get a license with a Tourist Visa. Somehow you found a work around, because a Visa exempt is not stronger than a Tourist Visa. Anything special that you did? I am looking for a legal work around. Again, we are trying to obey the Thai laws by getting him a license.

I have both my car and motorbike licenses on a 30 day visa waiver stamp. They only give you a 1 year temporary license though.. plenty of threads to give you the details.

Kurt

I understand the temporary license. I now have my 5 year license. Temporary is fine. Can I ask, did you get your permission letter from Jomtien Immigration? I have been through all the threads and the Thai official site clearly states that you can not get a license with a Tourist Visa. Somehow you found a work around, because a Visa exempt is not stronger than a Tourist Visa. Anything special that you did? I am looking for a legal work around. Again, we are trying to obey the Thai laws by getting him a license.

What you get from the Immigration Office is just a "Residence Cretificate" to show his address. It has nothing to do with permission. Just have him use your address.

I got my one year provisional licence on a Tourist visa from the DLT out near the Reagents School.

Be aware it can ( will ) take longer than 1 day to get the licence.

Thanks for letting me know that you were able to get a D.L. with a Tourist Visa. I will then continue my quest. It is hard to believe how hard it can be to follow the law and drive with a license. I am sure that this is equally true in any country though. I must state though, my first one year licenses took three hours to get, and my 5 year licenses took two hours to get.

There is a web site here apps.dlt.go.th/driving_hp/ELearnning/E-Learning2.swf

where you can practice for the theory part of the test...some ( a lot ) of the questions and answers are not logical !

Edited by johng

There is an English speaking Thai fellow running a business of preparing people for driving tests etc on Soi Leng Kee next to the dentist opposite JP (sp) Court

Sent from Android please excuse errors in judgement or type.

Thanks for the replies, but I have not asked how to answer the questions on the exam. I have taken the exam and know the questions. Since he has been driving for 20 years I am also not looking for a driving school. I am trying to find a way to get a D.L. with only a Tourist Visa.

Thanks for the replies, but I have not asked how to answer the questions on the exam. I have taken the exam and know the questions. Since he has been driving for 20 years I am also not looking for a driving school. I am trying to find a way to get a D.L. with only a Tourist Visa.

stoli as others have said, and even more in the various pinned threads, the Pattaya DL centre have no issue with a visa waiver let alone an actual visa. As long as he can show proof of address or you can convince the guy/woman on the desk at Imigration then there should be no issue - remember they want their 200 baht (or whatever figure) even though it is supposed to be free.

With a copy of his home country licence he may even get away without having to do the practical or even the highway code part - you can never tell......smile.png

"It is hard to believe how hard it can be to follow the law and drive with a license"

It's really rather easy though, despite what the rules might be there are plenty who have got licenses with tourist visas. Certainly a Thai tourist with no Thai license turning up in the UK on holiday isn't going to be getting a driving license.

stoli as others have said, and even more in the various pinned threads, the Pattaya DL centre have no issue with a visa waiver let alone an actual visa. As long as he can show proof of address or you can convince the guy/woman on the desk at Imigration then there should be no issue - remember they want their 200 baht (or whatever figure) even though it is supposed to be free.

With a copy of his home country licence he may even get away without having to do the practical or even the highway code part - you can never tell......smile.png

Thanks for the encouragement. My landlord has no problem drawing up a lease with my name and his on it, so I think I will just show up with that and the Med certificate and see what happens.