The end of student visas in Phuket

Phronesis

There are 42 language schools in Phuket.

They are being called to a meeting with immigration on 17.10.10.

Immigration want to do away with the student visa because of its abuse by Russians and other foreigners working illegally on the island.

So...if you are like me...and are currently staying in Phuket on a ED visa...don't get too comfortable.

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Good. More than abused the loophole, its being raped.

It is not a loophole for me, it is the only available visa option.

I am a self funded retiree who is not yet 50 years old.

I have no intention of marrying, starting a business, or investing 10 million in a condo.

I am a millionaire, in US dollars, but Thailand doesn't want me because I am not fifty years old.

Hmmm...better start reviewing those threads on PI and Cambo...

• Like 2

I have no intention of marrying, starting a business, or investing 10 million in a condo.

I am a millionaire, in US dollars, but Thailand doesn't want me because I am not fifty years old.

Have you been along to immigration and asked for a retirement extension?

Age 50 is just a guideline, up to immigration if they give you one earlier.

• Like 1

Why do you assume many on an Ed Visa are working illegally here?

I'm under 50 years of age. I'm self funded. I am not working here. I'm not super rich, but live well.

The only visa choices for me, and many others in a similar situation, are the 30 day visa exemption stamps, the 60 day tourist visa (extended to 90 days) or an Ed Visa.

I chose the 60 day tourist visa, but others chose the Ed Visa.

Sure, some here would be working here illegally on an Ed Visa, but I bet most are on Ed Visas as it minimises the visa runs they have to do.

As I said in another thread, "visa runs" are an industry - they turn over big money, not to mention the cost of the 60 day tourist visa itself, and then the 1900 baht extension - 4 times a year.

They only call it an "abuse" of the system because it's saving the foreigners time and money.

What's stopping "the Russians and other foreigners" you mention still working here illegally on a tourist visa?

NKM...how many back to back double entry tourist visas have you had...and where were they issued?

I do not know of one single person that is under 50 years old and has been given a retirement visa or extension.

I will hand this possibility over to other TV members for debunking or confirmation...

Does anyone know someone who has received a retirement visa who is not yet 50 years old?

• Like 1

I do not know of one single person that is under 50 years old and has been given a retirement visa or extension.

I will hand this possibility over to other TV members for debunking or confirmation...

Does anyone know someone who has received a retirement visa who is not yet 50 years old?

You have to ask first ......... they don't just offer.

I'm under 50 years of age. I'm self funded. I am not working here. I'm not super rich, but live well.

The only visa choices for me, and many others in a similar situation, are the 30 day visa exemption stamps, the 60 day tourist visa (extended to 90 days) or an Ed Visa.

Sure, some here would be working here illegally on an Ed Visa, but I bet most are on Ed Visas as it minimises the visa runs they have to do.

As I said in another thread, "visa runs" are an industry - they turn over big money, not to mention the cost of the 60 day tourist visa itself, and then the 1900 baht extension - 4 times a year.

They only call it an "abuse" of the system because it's saving the foreigners time and money.

What's stopping "the Russians and other foreigners" you mention still working here illegally on a tourist visa?

NKM...how many back to back double entry tourist visas have you had...and where were they issued?

I don't do the double entry visas. I have friends in the various nearby country/cities so I get single entry visas and visit friends regularly.

Some of them are ex Phuketians. :)

I believe the back to back double entry visas raise suspicion.

I think because I change Embassies, and have also changed passports since living here, I've slipped through. Never had a problem.

I had some concern a while ago when they said tourists will only be allowed to stay 180 days, in a calender year, or something similar, but it either never came in, or isn't being enforced.

Anyway, I'll keep doing what I'm doing as it's been working for me.

Out of interest, on average, what do the schools charge and what is the cost of the Ed Visa?

That's news to me. I've never heard of anyone under 50 years old having a retirement visa.

• Like 1

I don't do the double entry visas. I have friends in the various nearby country/cities so I get single entry visas and visit friends regularly.

Some of them are ex Phuketians. smile.png

I think because I change Embassies, and have also changed passports since living here, I've slipped through. Never had a problem.

I had some concern a while ago when they said tourists will only be allowed to stay 180 days, in a calender year, or something similar, but it either never came in, or isn't being enforced.

Out of interest, on average, what do the schools charge and what is the cost of the Ed Visa?

NKM

Can you just clarify for me:

You fly in on 30 day VOAs and then get a 30 day extension. That is you leave Thailand 6 times every year??

Student visa costs (not including first visa run):

25K school fee

3K course materials

3.8K two extensions per year

3.8K reentry permit

Plus fuel and time to attend class, attend immigration (minimum eight times each year..extensions x 4 + 4 90 day reports)

Some of them are ex Phuketians. smile.png

NKM

Can you just clarify for me:

You fly in on 30 day VOAs and then get a 30 day extension. That is you leave Thailand 6 times every year??

Student visa costs (not including first visa run):

25K school fee

3K course materials

3.8K two extensions per year

3.8K reentry permit

Plus fuel and time to attend class, attend immigration (minimum eight times each year..extensions x 4 + 4 90 day reports)

I fly in on a 60 day tourist visa. In week 8 of the visa expiring, I ride to the Immigration Office in Phuket Town and pay 1900 baht and get the 30 day extension. This gives me 90 days here.

On day 90, or a little less if flights are cheaper, I fly out to a neighbouring country and submit my passport to the Thai Embassy for another 60 day tourist visa, catch up with friends for a few days, fly back, and it all starts again.

If you fly in on a 30 day visa exemption stamp, the most you can extend it is 7 days. (don't confuse visa exemption stamp with visa on arrival)

I fly, but many friends do the minivan run. I think they pay about 4000 baht for a visa run, all included. It's cheaper than flying and doing it yourself.

After reading your post, I actually think what I am doing is cheaper and easier than the Ed Visa, and I fly. I also have no risk of losing my 25,000 baht. To be honest, I can't see why the Ed Visas are so popular.

Edited by NamKangMan

NKM

Yes. I think that you are right. Probably cheaper especially if you snag some promo air fares with Air Asia. And of course, you don't have to worry about 90 day reporting.

Can you please tell me what countries/embassies issue the 60 day tourist visa and how much is the fee. Where have you been to get them in the past?

Retirement visa, and then annual extensions are only available if 50 years old and over, plus meet the financial criteria. Not possible to 'arrange' if under 50.

You are wrong.

Care to elaborate ....

Like you LiK, I await the answer with interest..........

Retirement visa, and then annual extensions are only available if 50 years old and over, plus meet the financial criteria. Not possible to 'arrange' if under 50.

You are wrong.

Care to elaborate ....

Like you LiK, I await the answer with interest..........

Me too...

Could not hurt to check. Thais count age from January 1. So you will actually be 49 but the Thai way would make you 50.

You are wrong.

FiftyTwo I think you may be the one who is in fact wrong.

This is from the Thai immigration website.

http://www.thailand-immigration.org/thailand-retirement-visa

To be able to apply for Thailand Retirement Visa, the foreigner has to meet the following requirements:

1. To be eligible for a Retirement visa, the applicant needs to be 50 years old and above.
  2. You have to meet one of the following Financial requirement:
    • deposit an amount of THB 800,000 in a thai bank account. After 2 months you can get a letter from the bank to prove this.
    • monthly income or pension of at least THB 65,000. An affidavit of monthly income must be obtained from your embassy or consulate in Thailand to prove this.
    • combination of bank account and yearly income with a total of THB 800,000. To support this, updated bank book or letter from the bank, and letter from your embassy must be presented.

Anything else you may be suggesting is completely illegal sorry. wai.gifthumbsup.gif

• Like 2

NKM

Yes. I think that you are right. Probably cheaper especially if you snag some promo air fares with Air Asia. And of course, you don't have to worry about 90 day reporting.

Can you please tell me what countries/embassies issue the 60 day tourist visa and how much is the fee. Where have you been to get them in the past?

I always get the promo or "on sale" airfares when AirAsia advertise them, because you know, to the day, when you have to leave. If there is a festival, or a friend's birthday etc - I may leave a week or two before my visa expires.

All Thai Embassies, all around the world, issue the 60 day visas to Thailand.

Obviously, you want a Thai Embassy that is nearby and easy to get to. In the past, they may have been not so easy to get to, but I have gone anyway, just to have a look around and do the tourist things in that particular city.

What I do is no secret. There are many other foreigners doing this. Sometimes there are long ques.

That's why I say "visa runs" are a big industry. They generate employment and turn over billions of baht. There are many people living here on tourist visas.

The "system" keeps no one out, but just takes their money, regularly. I think that's all it's designed to do. Even the Central Goverment get my 700 baht airport exit tax.

Anyway, Penang - Malaysia is the easiest visa run, but also Kuala Lumpur, Phnom Penh in Cambodia, Ho Chi Minh City in Vietnam (but you have to organise a Vietnam visa for this) there is Vientiane - Laos (I found this Thai Embassy to be the worse for ques, probably because of many foreigners living in issan use this Embassy) there is Singapore (probably the most expensive, but a First World nation)

These are the main places you should look at for visa runs. The popular ones are where you don't pay for a visa on arrival and where you only get an entry stamp, not a visa taking up a whole page in your passport. For this reason, Malaysia is popular.

I have been to Myanmar (Burma) but not for a visa run, purely as a tourist, but maybe Myanmar will be easier to get to in the future, so will be open for visa runs.

As for not worrying about 90 day reporting, in a way, you have to "report" just before the 60 days to pay your 1900 baht for your 30 day extension. Well, you don't have to, you can leave on day 60, but that's more "runs" in the year.

The visa cist is around $40US. Laos, Cambodia and Vietnam run the dual currency system. That is, their local currency and also US Dollars, but the Thai Embassy prefers US Dollars as they do not want to lose on any exchange rate of the local, volitile currency.

Hope this helps. Ask around, you will meet many others guys doing this type of visa run because there is either what I am doing, or what you are doing. These are the only options if you are under 50 years of age, and, in my opinion, as mentioned, the Thai's know it, and have used it to create a money making industry.

• Like 1

Its the "cheapest option", its not the "only" option for millionaires like you

Its the "cheapest option", its not the "only" option for millionaires like you

Neither is Phuket, or Thailand, for that matter. :) :)

• Like 2

sure sure, i heard this a year ago to nothing really changed because they all pay tea-money and i guess its going up...

i admit, if people cant do 4 hours a week of classes <deleted> they deserve no visa!

So, tea money goes up, which is passed onto the student, so the cost of the course goes up, and you still have to do your 4 hours a week.

Cheaper, easier, and less time consuming to do visa runs. :)