Ducati Hypermotard/Hyperstrada 2013 Thailand

ll2

Any words on how the bikes handle traffic?
Anyone rode at high traffic?

if they allow for a test ride in traffic at Pattaya Ducati, i might go there this weekend for a ride!

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Edited by ll2

• Replies 353
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well during my short test ride and taking into consideration not been riding big bikes for about 3 years, I say excellent, it so nippy and you are sitting high so you can see what is going on around you.

This bike makes you fell very confident very quickly.

Side mirrors not so good.

New Honda CBR 650? I not even remotely interested which I know I should not be saying without trying it, sorry but it's not for me, too boring, I want something special if I buy a big bike again and the Duke tick all the right boxes to me.

• Like 2

if they allow for a test ride in traffic at Pattaya Ducati, i might go there this weekend for a ride!

Oh I forgot - let me know if you are riding to Pattaya on the weekend (by bike). I gotta drive down on Saturday and give the guy who bought my Versys the spare key + insurance papers. Forgot those of course when I sold my bike.facepalm.gif

We can team up if you want. Can't go faster than 130 km/h though - still breaking in the engine...

Well during my short test ride and taking into consideration not been riding big bikes for about 3 years, I say excellent, it so nippy and you are sitting high so you can see what is going on around you.

This bike makes you fell very confident very quickly.

Side mirrors not so good.

New Honda CBR 650? I not even remotely interested which I know I should not be saying without trying it, sorry but it's not for me, too boring, I want something special if I buy a big bike again and the Duke tick all the right boxes to me.

My thoughts exactly mate clap2.gif

• Like 1

Also learned that touring mode isn't so good for traffic - so that's where urban mode is useful. 500 kms now and according to informed sources it's now OK to do more than 6k revs. 6k is pretty fine in the city though so I only tried once or twice.

Clutching through heavy Sunday traffic seems to have softened the clutch somewhat so now when I start at the red-light I can start like a normal person. Previously I was always between popping a wheelie and stalling - I thought it's just the sensitive throttle but apparently not. It's all good now.

Engaged the TC a few times on Doi Suthep road and in the city. Whoops! Still with less than 6k RPM though - max. torque is somewhere between 7,500 and 8,000 I've read -that's gonna be fun... biggrin.png

Edited by nikster

thanks for the comments guys.

During the test ride, i found the clutch lever not so easy to modulate on both bikes as the coupling point is aligned so forward on clutch lever, nearly at the end!. I like he coupling point closer to the handlebar.

It might be the reason for a tendency of stalling or a wheelie.

Oh I forgot - let me know if you are riding to Pattaya on the weekend (by bike). I gotta drive down on Saturday and give the guy who bought my Versys the spare key + insurance papers. Forgot those of course when I sold my bike.facepalm.gif

We can team up if you want. Can't go faster than 130 km/h though - still breaking in the engine...

matty, why not man.

I was thinking of going there on Sunday morning but Saturday afternoon might be OK as well.

If you are fine, we can go there together. At least our bikes are both redbiggrin.png

Edited by ll2

I have a head vs heart response to this. I love the style of the Ducati - my first ever real bike was a Ducati Desmo 350 way back when. It was a bit like a gorgeous woman - beautiful to look at, not necessarily the best ride, and certainly high maintenance. I assume that Ducati has come a long way since then in the Reliability Stakes, and has become even more beautiful if that is possible. I could never stand and salivate just looking at a Honda on its stand - only Italian style has that effect on me.

But I don't think I could bring myself to actually buy a Ducati again. I can pick up a reliable, comfortable and durable Japanese brand bike for far less $$ and cheap cheap maintenance over a long life. And still go around corners at the same speed as a Ducati. The current Honda 500s are a great ride for local blasts or long distance trips, and I suspect that the new CB 650/4 with 87bhp will be even better. And I know I'm in for an easy life with my UJM. So, get a Ducati for your mistress (or even a KTM 1190), but marry a Honda - or a Kawasaki if you're a bit kinky.

• Like 1

^

lets say:

Ducati Hypermotard for the city, Honda for touring!

Two bikes fit my bill well in Thailand actually:)

The Hypermotard has 110hp so it's not exactly a city cruiser. You'll be in 1st and 2nd in the city all the time. On the road Hyperstrada is just fine for touring so just add a windscreen to the motard and possibly the softer seat and you have a great tourer. It's a great, great bike - the Honda 650 will be cheaper but that's about it.

Hyper for trips, Honda 500 (any model) for the city would make more sense. I use one bike for everything anyway but if you were going to get two....

^

lets say:

The Hypermotard has 110hp so it's not exactly a city cruiser. You'll be in 1st and 2nd in the city all the time. On the road Hyperstrada is just fine for touring so just add a windscreen to the motard and possibly the softer seat and you have a great tourer. It's a great, great bike - the Honda 650 will be cheaper but that's about it.

Hyper for trips, Honda 500 (any model) for the city would make more sense. I use one bike for everything anyway but if you were going to get two....

Or just buy the Hyperstrada and you have one of the best all in one bikes on the marketwink.png

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q_XSahwAZZg

^

lets say:

Or just buy the Hyperstrada and you have one of the best all in one bikes on the marketwink.png

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q_XSahwAZZg

thanks.

i have already watched every movie available regarding hyperstrada one by one via youtube and read every article about these bikes and checking the hyperstrada forum as well time by time.biggrin.png

man, such great bikes. Almost made up my mind for one of them but want to see the motor expo and honda offerings. maybe we can see the new honda vfr800 in Thailand soon as well which is a great touring option.

If i buy such a honda cbr650 or vfr800 for touring, than i might get hypermotard for city only instead of hyperstrada.

and i think hypermotard and hyperstrada engine is not that bad for the city. They have good torque and i use 1st and 2nd gear only anyway with my cbr500r too.

the ones that received the bikes, please more reviews and impressions man!!! i am dying here!

• Like 1

Did another short Samoeng loop ride and had an absolute blast. It's unbelievable how stable this bike is, no matter the road conditions. It's a little rocket ship. Super easy to turn as well.

Only disappointment so far is with the fuel tank and range- either this one is really hard to fill up correctly, or it doesn't actually have a full 16 liters. I ran out of gas today - I was tempting fate ignoring the fuel light, but I had done the math and it seemed as if I could easily go about 250 and up to 300kms on one tank. Well - not so. I ran out at 211. Some of it might be due to riding in the city which seems to have terrible gas mileage. But there's also the fact that when I filled up at the gas station - after having pushed the bike there - they only filled up 14.1 liters. Maybe .5 might have still fit, it wasn't completely full. But it was not as close to 16 as I liked.

Either this tank is hard to fill up, or we don't have 16 usable liters in it. Maybe only 14, actually. I'll watch this but I am hoping for better gas mileage. Notably, I wasn't even close to the indicated average consumption of 5.7 liters / 100km. For the last trip, I was at 6.6.

That said - what a great bike :D

• Like 2

Did another short Samoeng loop ride and had an absolute blast. It's unbelievable how stable this bike is, no matter the road conditions. It's a little rocket ship. Super easy to turn as well.

Only disappointment so far is with the fuel tank and range- either this one is really hard to fill up correctly, or it doesn't actually have a full 16 liters. I ran out of gas today - I was tempting fate ignoring the fuel light, but I had done the math and it seemed as if I could easily go about 250 and up to 300kms on one tank. Well - not so. I ran out at 211. Some of it might be due to riding in the city which seems to have terrible gas mileage. But there's also the fact that when I filled up at the gas station - after having pushed the bike there - they only filled up 14.1 liters. Maybe .5 might have still fit, it wasn't completely full. But it was not as close to 16 as I liked.

Either this tank is hard to fill up, or we don't have 16 usable liters in it. Maybe only 14, actually. I'll watch this but I am hoping for better gas mileage. Notably, I wasn't even close to the indicated average consumption of 5.7 liters / 100km. For the last trip, I was at 6.6.

That said - what a great bike biggrin.png

at hyperstrada forum, they have problems with the fuel light blinking earlier that expected.

Why they did not put a fuel meter on this beautiful bikes?:)

That said - what a great bike biggrin.png

Yeah I have similar issues - I had to refuel twice already. So far I'm getting more or less 240 km per tank, that's about 15km per liter. Not that impressive really. Must be because of the city riding and the sports mode I like to use when going for blasts late in the evenings...

• 4 weeks later...

Anyone fit a luggage rack to the motard? It won't do anything for the beauty of the bike but will be very practical. As it stands I can strap only a very small bag to the back of the bike.

Unfortunately both the ducati luggage rack and passenger grab handles (which are needed to install the rack) have to be ordered from Italy and will take 2 months if ordered through ducati. I see www.pure-ducati.com delivers to Thailand and with USPS shipping will be $332 (about 11,000 baht). Any one order from them yet?

On another note, I bought the windscreen from ducati and it works pretty well. It's rather thin but pretty high. Higher than the one on the strada.

Still have the track S1000rr and a track yamaha R6....running out of room to store bikes, will have to keep the race bikes in the trailer..lol

I saw it on the S1000RR forum- it looks like a great bike, and it's nicely set up- it's got to be one of the fastest privately-held track bikes in LOS.

I've got two engines for it..full FIM super stock spec and a World Endurance spec as spare, The Horse power is probably about the same as the stock engine but the midrange torque/power is night and day difference from the other BMW's I ridden.

It's geared to hit 5th gear at BIRA, was hitting 236km/hr on Monday. Taking it to sepang next month where it should see 280km/hr+

Edited by newf

I would buy all duc accessories abroad as the local ones are way overcharged. Mostly will be still cheaper even after shipping, tax and duties.Sent from my HTC Desire X using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Definitely order from abroad, as they arse rape you on prices over here. I swear they must think that they're doing you a favour. 95% of my parts come from the states. :)

Sent from my SM-T211 using Tapatalk 4

I've got two engines for it..full FIM super stock spec and a World Endurance spec as spare, The Horse power is probably about the same as the stock engine but the midrange torque/power is night and day difference from the other BMW's I ridden.It's geared to hit 5th gear at BIRA, was hitting 236km/hr on Monday. Taking it to sepang next month where it should see 280km/hr+

Shane, tells me corner speeds are pretty awesome at Sepang.

Sent from my SM-T211 using Tapatalk 4