Phuket Airport taxis face overhaul, upgrade

Lite Beer

Phuket Airport taxis face overhaul, upgrade
Phuket Gazette -

PHUKET: An open meeting at the Airports of Thailand (AoT) Phuket office yesterday morning has resulted in a slew of new measures to be introduced to improve the quality of service of taxis serving Phuket International Airport.

The news follows weeks of controversy over current arrangements.

“What has been agreed on is that each taxi operating to and from the airport must have an engine of at least 1,950cc,” announced Phuket Airport Deputy General Manager Visutr Chantana.

“These vehicles must be not more than five years old and must be insured for the car, the driver and passengers,” he added.

“All of the taxis will be monitored by GPS from our control room to ensure that no taxis go astray. This will ensure that passenger are not taken on circuitous routes, but are taken directly to their chosen destinations,” Mr Visutr said.

Kanputt Mungklasiri, an executive vice president at the airport, recommended that a single counter be dedicated for all taxis so that passengers could easily queue and be issued tickets for taxi service, much like the system used at Suvarnabhumi International Airport in Bangkok.

“The tickets would record the taxi number as well as the destination. Fares for various destinations should be shown at the counter,” Mr Kanputt told the Phuket Gazette.

“We should also have standard uniforms for drivers. This can solve a lot of the ‘gray-area’ problems we have experienced,” he said.

Chukiat Panyawai, a representative of a registered taxi co-operative that serves the airport, noted that any changes should keep the drivers in mind.

“If the AoT wants to terminate the existing taxi group system, they should establish a new system that will benefit us because we have served passengers at the airport for a long time,” he said.

Phuket Vice Governor Chamroen Tipayapongtada, who chaired the meeting, called for AoT to form an independent committee to resolve all the airport’s taxi-related problems.

“Such a committee would define an exact and detailed plan to replace the current taxi-group arrangement, which will come to an end after November,” V/Gov Chamroen said.

“Above all, we would like all parties to help to improve Phuket’s image when it comes to taxis,” he added.

Source: http://www.phuketgazette.net/phuket_news/2013/Phuket-Airport-taxis-face-overhaul-upgrade-22490.html

pglogo.jpg
-- Phuket Gazette 2013-10-12

Great words and plans and long overdue but as is so often the case in Thailand it doesn't matter how many laws or rules and regulations exist it all comes down to implementation or more especially the lack of such.

It won't take long for all concerned to figure out how to get around the new system and get back to making real money.

“Above all, we would like all parties to help to improve Phuket’s image when it comes to taxis,” he added.

Took years for them to figure out taxi scams were hurting Phuket's image. I won't hold my breath for these changes to be implemented any time soon, but at least they're making efforts.

1950CC?? That rules out most of the passenger cars. Now we gonna have minibusses, SUV's and Pickups running around.

• Like 1

Until they ban all the taxi touts nothing will change. Trouble is that there is no real effort made by the airport authorities to clear up the chaos at the airport arrivals door.

This sounds like a big change this time, with AoT willing to forego on all the taxi groups payments.

>>“If the AoT wants to terminate the existing taxi group system, they should establish a new system that will benefit us because we have served passengers at the airport for a long time,” he said

Why does the AOT need to benefit the taxi drivers? I'm not quite clear on this point.

Took years for them to figure out taxi scams were hurting Phuket's image. I won't hold my breath for these changes to be implemented any time soon, but at least they're making efforts.

1950CC?? That rules out most of the passenger cars. Now we gonna have minibusses, SUV's and Pickups running around.

There are plenty of 2,000cc passenger cars at the airport now but could be a problem for all those people who bought cars on the 1st car buyer scheme, got yellow stickers to become taxis but may not be able to do so from the airport anymore.

Why are they worried about drivers taking circuitous routes? They NEVER do that. Simple reason is that its impossible to get a taxi to use a meter. They all use outrageous flat fares, even the " meter" taxis.

So there is absolutely no incentive to take a circuitous route. Now, getting a taxi to drive around looking for the exact location you want, THAT is difficult. Flat fare means they want to dump you ASAP, right location or not.

And yes, why should the new system, if one ever arrives, be designed for the benefit of drivers over passengers? Just about sums up the problem I think. And not just with taxis. Attitude.

Can't we just stop reporting about Phuket??? It is all BS anyway: talk, talk, talk, pay, pay, pay and ABSOLUTELY nothing changes in Phuket. Oeps sorry, not true..... Different hands (once in a while) to collect the tea-money and other bribes...

Phuket!?! sick.gifbah.gif

Until they ban all the taxi touts nothing will change. Trouble is that there is no real effort made by the airport authorities to clear up the chaos at the airport arrivals door.

This sounds like a big change this time, with AoT willing to forego on all the taxi groups payments.

Not really.....nothing for nothing with AoT..they are going to take 15% of fares for themselves..How much in total compared to their previous method of payment this amounts to, i don't know, but sure as hell is going to add up to a tidy sum.

• Like 1

Can't we just stop reporting about Phuket??? It is all BS anyway: talk, talk, talk, pay, pay, pay and ABSOLUTELY nothing changes in Phuket. Oeps sorry, not true..... Different hands (once in a while) to collect the tea-money and other bribes...

Just stop reading the Phuket Forum if you don't want to hear about Phuket.

Not really.....nothing for nothing with AoT..they are going to take 15% of fares for themselves..How much in total compared to their previous method of payment this amounts to, i don't know, but sure as hell is going to add up to a tidy sum.

True.

The good thing is that gives them an incentive to regulate and get rid of the black taxi's, so they get as much money as possible. The bad thing is that gives them an incentive to hike the prices.

BUT - what are we possibly "big changing" to? At best, we will only get what other places in Thailand have in relation to airport transport options.

They "throw the tourists some crumbs" on Phuket and expect them to be happy.

It's just not working, and it can be seen in many empty and closing establishments. Mainly fuelled by the exodus of the tradition western market.

They need to come online with the rest of Thailand, and the region, in order to compete.

Currently, Phuket is losing market share at a rapid rate.

As stated before, Phuket is run by criminals, for criminals - and we are now seeing the effects of this.

Can't we just stop reporting about Phuket?

Ahhhmmm this is Phuket Forum...what on earth do you expect?

cheesy.gifcheesy.gif Sorry, was not aware of that! I just get the TV News daily, and read the interesting topics... Never really look in what forum it is posted... (my mistake giggle.gif )

Of course TV could close the Phuket forum, but that would not be fair to the Phuket guys, would it?!? tongue.png

huh.png.pagespeed.ce.6VcCaNwNXg.png .....is the airport bus still operative?

Yes, 2 routes - Phuket Town and Patong.

I came in yesterday and ended up taking a cab. I could see from the board in the arrival hall that the limousine service now charge THB 650,- to town so I decided to take a "meter" taxi as I last time did in May when it cost Thb 500,- (Fixed price) This time I got the message that I had to pay Thb 100,- in advance at the small office they have there the meter taxis is waiting. I got a receipt and the message to pay the cost on the meter directly to the driver. I was a bit sceptical but thought whatever the cost, if I get cheated I will learn to next time.

Driver started the meter and on the way we are. He drove very slow at the beginning and first when we come on Thepkasatri road he speeded up a bit to follow the traffic flow. Then first I took a second look at the meter which I guess run twice as fast as a on a meter taxi in Bangkok. It was Thb 200,- already at the main intersection in Thalang. On the plus side the car was new and the driver drove safe and total price ended at Thb 600,- so yes we have got a taxi meter service and I saved Thb 50,- compared to the price limousine service chargesmile.png but the meter was running nearly as quick as seconds.sad.png

huh.png.pagespeed.ce.6VcCaNwNXg.png .....is the airport bus still operative?

Yes, 2 routes - Phuket Town and Patong.

I came in yesterday and ended up taking a cab. I could see from the board in the arrival hall that the limousine service now charge THB 650,- to town so I decided to take a "meter" taxi as I last time did in May when it cost Thb 500,- (Fixed price) This time I got the message that I had to pay Thb 100,- in advance at the small office they have there the meter taxis is waiting. I got a receipt and the message to pay the cost on the meter directly to the driver. I was a bit sceptical but thought whatever the cost, if I get cheated I will learn to next time.

Driver started the meter and on the way we are. He drove very slow at the beginning and first when we come on Thepkasatri road he speeded up a bit to follow the traffic flow. Then first I took a second look at the meter which I guess run twice as fast as a on a meter taxi in Bangkok. It was Thb 200,- already at the main intersection in Thalang. On the plus side the car was new and the driver drove safe and total price ended at Thb 600,- so yes we have got a taxi meter service and I saved Thb 50,- compared to the price limousine service chargesmile.png but the meter was running nearly as quick as seconds.sad.png

Some taxies rig the meter to a switch. Sometimes the high beam switch.

The taxi clicks, clicks, clicks and up the price goes up, up, up.

I was in a taxi stopped in traffic and the meter jumped several baht at a time. I asked the guy to take me to the police station. Sorry, sorry, sorry.......

Some taxies rig the meter to a switch. Sometimes the high beam switch.

The taxi clicks, clicks, clicks and up the price goes up, up, up.

I was in a taxi stopped in traffic and the meter jumped several baht at a time. I asked the guy to take me to the police station. Sorry, sorry, sorry.......

Why? You think the meter has to stop when you sit in traffic? No it keeps going.

What did police say?

• Like 1