Loire Valley Wines in in Chiang Mai

JepSoDii

Does anyone know where to find Loire Valley wines in Chiang Mai? I'd sure appreciate some guidance from those who have done so. I'm looking for Chinon, Bourgueil, Saumur, Anjou, Rueilly, Sancerre, Muscadet, Vouvray, Touraine, etc.

I can't afford the 3000THB (and up) Bordeaux and Burgundy that seems so common here and I don't particularly like the 300-500 THB Chilean and Aussie stuff (it's okay) and yes I know all the Aussie new world options widely available, but I'm specifically looking for old world stuff, and while I have found a few things, Loire Valley wines are one of my loves, and I haven't found any of it! At all. I realize these are semi-obscure wine regions usually reserved for the wine geek crowd, and maybe the Thais only know to import the famous regions, but I'm not yet willing to give up hope . . . this is Chiang Mai, after all. I just need a little help. Only been here a few months.

Also, re pricing, these are wines that are generally $15-30 USD back home (US), so I don't know what to expect to pay here with the taxes, but is double the retail price a good rule of thumb? $30-60? (900-1800THB) . . . More?

Granted, I haven't looked everywhere, and the places I have looked at are the well known places like Rimping (some decent Italians), Tops, Big C and Wine Connection (which pretends to be great but isn't), but I'm really looking for a knowledgeable local importer.

Jepsodii,

I will be in Thailand on November 21th with my father who drives to the Loire every year from Holland.

We will bring some bottles for personal use.

You are most welcome to join us for a glass since you will appreciate it.

Drinking wine should be done together so cheers.

What about a red St. Nicolas de Bourgueil? ;-) They are so underestimated.

I hope someone replies so we don't have to bring wine to Thailand every time.

Erik

• Like 1

Jepsodii,

I will be in Thailand on November 21th with my father who drives to the Loire every year from Holland.

Erik

Hi Erik, I would love a glass of St. Nicolas de Bourgueil, thank you for offering. I have had plenty of Bourgueil, which I love, but haven't had this yet. Underestimated indeed. Like the entire region. Looking forward to it. I will PM you. Thank you! And now . . . yes I hope someone replies with all the info on where to buy.

Jepsodii,

Erik

I wish you luck if you are bringing more than 1 ltr per person. Even if you can prove by receipt that you have paid local taxes on the wine in France it is very unlikely that if Thai customs find it they will let it through without paying 'tax' on it, or even confiscating it. I just had a friend who tried bringing six 75cl bottles in from New Zealand with receipt to prove four bottles were local tax paid and Thai customs hit him for 3,000 Baht....and kept one bottle for themselves. Very much hit and miss on entry so you will be on a wing and a prayer.

Even Chilean and Australian's don't like the 300-500 price bracket. We know as well as anyone that what that wine truly cost even if you add in taxes etc..

It's best left for salad dressing...

As for Loire Valley in Chiang Mai, can't help I'm afraid, possibly some obscure wine merchant in Bangkok delivers up country or can post it up country? Wine Gallery would be one that springs to mind though they don't have a website so I'm not sure.

As for getting slugged by Customs, indeed very hit and miss, keep it concealed to the confines of your luggage - packed well - it can withstand the rigors of the baggage handlers.

One of the bigger hotels may be able to help with your search acquisition.

It's totally hit and miss. One time on my way to Bangkok I carried in about 4 bottles of imported, expensive liquor at the request of a friend who had done a lot of favors for me over the years. As I recall I bought them in Frankfurt. I was of course reimbursed and had I been taxed I would have been reimbursed for that too. I was never stopped or checked when I arrived at Suvarnabhumi at about 5:00 one morning. Walked right on through with the box of liquor.

Even Chilean and Australian's don't like the 300-500 price bracket. We know as well as anyone that what that wine truly cost even if you add in taxes etc..

It's best left for salad dressing...

As for Loire Valley in Chiang Mai, can't help I'm afraid, possibly some obscure wine merchant in Bangkok delivers up country or can post it up country? Wine Gallery would be one that springs to mind though they don't have a website so I'm not sure.

As for getting slugged by Customs, indeed very hit and miss, keep it concealed to the confines of your luggage - packed well - it can withstand the rigors of the baggage handlers.

One of the bigger hotels may be able to help with your search acquisition.

Yeah, I'll probably have to look around when I get to Bangkok. I have to think SOMEONE in the wine business in BKK knows enough about wine to import Loire. But I don't get to BKK much so this will have to wait. Salad dressing indeed. What can be had here for the money is depressing.

Wine Connection is selling Sancerre and Pouilly-Fuisse (white) at maechok. Very limited choice and price around 2,000Bht if I recall correctly, but very decent quality for both of them.

Sorry, where is Maechok? I was at the Airport Wine Connection recently and saw nothing from the region, but while I thank you for answering, really, I think I'm going to have to skip 2,000 baht wines. One of the main reasons to drink from Loire is to pay 25% of what you'd pay for high quality/Premier Cru Burgundies and 2nd tier classified growth Bordeaux and get equivalent quality.

Maybe once per month I'd be willing to drop 1500 for a good Loire red if I can find something.

I know this is Thailand, but the $15-30 USD range is what I drank back home and had 3 bottles per week $250/mo budgeted), and if all this buys me is cheap, mass-produced Aussie Shiraz etc., I'll just have to change to imported German beers for quality alcohol. But this thread is me, not giving up the fight . . . ;)

I guess what I'm hoping for is to find some good (if not single vineyard) wines from this region in the 1000-1200 range. Eek, even that's $40!sad.png

OP the tax on wine is somewhere in the region of 400->450%, due in no small part to the lobbying by the beer companies and distilleries in Thailand, so that they don't lose their market share.

How in the world is this straight corruption allowed to . . . oh, nevermind.

Just a though. The 400%+ markup is on the international purchase price the importer pays. So a $10 wine bought in, say, France, is shipped and sells retail for, say, $18 in the USA after a $10 cost.

I assume the 400% is based on the same $10 France selling price. So the Thai importer pays $40 with tax. Since he can't sell it at $18 based on a $10 purchase price, he has to sell based on $40. One then wonders if the Thai retailer turns around and tries to sell is at 4x the $18 of the US retail, $72, so the 400% markup is applied across the board and his profit is increased on what can be perceived to be a luxury item . . . or does he try to take the same $8 profit on each bottle, selling his $40 bottle for $48, which makes the wine just a bit over 3x more expensive as US retail.

I guess I need to learn to use the multi-quote. Sorry folks for all the Jeppin graphics goin' on.

It's a lot more complicated than simply saying "400% tax"

But if it was easy, everyone would be doing it... Plenty of comment on this forum about the Governments latest tax hike.

In BKK you'll find it as for what's available, I don't know, it's not my cup of tea.

Best using google to search a familiar label and from there you should be able to find out if there's a Thai distributer.

OP the tax on wine is somewhere in the region of 400->450%, due in no small part to the lobbying by the beer companies and distilleries in Thailand, so that they don't lose their market share.

Not quite correct, these aforementioned companies also have their fingers in wine barrel.

Have you tried the Wine Gallery? Cross over the Ratanakosin bridge heading into town. It's on the right in the second or third blocks. I went in once. They had a god selection of wine. Out of my price range, but so is what you're looking for.

post-118093-0-42017500-1382232621_thumb.

Edited by luther

4x4 and Luther, thank you both for your recommendations. I haven't been to or heard of either of those places, but will have to very soon. Once I figure out exactly where they are.

Honestly I am so appalled at the prices, I just can't go to 1800 for what I'm seeking. So hopefully the 900-1200B range will yield something satisfactory!

Thanks guys.

Perhaps you should look into importing yourself! Find a few punters on these boards to buy at cost from you.

It is very sad the duties they put on wine in this country. Did i not read recently that taxes on such imports may come down in their hopes of attracting a 'superior' kind of tourist?

Not sure how that would work and wouldn't want to impose on anyone. Most who bother to import wine would probably want to use their space for wine for their own wine consumption, as would I.

What you say on import taxes feels like a pipe dream to me now. Maybe it will happen but I'm not holding my breath!I

It's enough to make me wanna move to Cambodia. I think I've read they have no alcohol import taxes.

Perhaps you should look into importing yourself! Find a few punters on these boards to buy at cost from you.

It is very sad the duties they put on wine in this country. Did i not read recently that taxes on such imports may come down in their hopes of attracting a 'superior' kind of tourist?