Do "Infinity Edge Pools" leak ?

thairookie

It seems a popular trend in Pattaya, especially with small developments, to have swimming pools built on rooftops. I personally love the idea because then you're not too concerned if you get to enjoy sea view from your balcony. You can always get up to the rooftop for a swim and get a healthy dosage of sea view.

However, it's kind of worrying if you know a swimming pool is right at the top of your bedroom. I haven't had any experience with infinity edge swimming pools, but do they leak ?

I'm not sure what you mean with "leak". They do "overflow" (by design).

Basically there is a edge at a small angle that makes it look like the water

is up to the edge. To maintain this effect, you must continuously circulate

the water and have it flow over the edge. The pool is designed such that

the water that flows over the edge is collected and than recirculated ...

In a well designed infinity pool the edge all around is 100% straight, and

the water is very very calm ....

At least that's how my infinity pools works ...

luudee

Not much danger in it leaking unless there's a structure failure. There's a catch basin designed to catch the water going over the edge, from water displacement, or rain. However there's a possibility of structure failure of a poorly maintained pool. The structure is vulnerable to corrosion from the pool chemicals.

Edited by BB1950

I guess you should be more concerned about the bathtub or jacuzzi in the unit above yours. Probably more chance of that leaking than a pool above your unit.

Pools and roof top water tanks are structurally designed for the weight.

Edited by BB1950

But realistically speaking, I think the developers had already thought this one out! :-)

I dont think that developers in Thailand think any further than the end of the warranty period, if that.

Even pools built in the ground can crack and fail due to bad building practices and/or bad maintenance.

That said an infinity pool is not intrinsically more or less likely to leak or break than any other sort of pool or concrete water tank.

You are screwed mate! If you live underneath one of these roof top pools then you are very likely to drown in your sleep!

But realistically speaking, I think the developers had already thought this one out! :-)

Ah, but if it is an infinity pool that is leaking, where does the water go?

By definition it has to be 13.8 billion light years away, as a minimum.

• Like 1