Whites Only: European-owned Citra offers cash to 'whitest' students in Thailand

webfact

Just to emphasize yet again the fact that racism can and does exist against groups based on ethnicity, skin color, national origin, etc.

Actual objective RACE differences (for those who don't accept modern anthropology's rejection of the concept different human races in the first place) do not need to exist for racism to occur.

A good example is the history of Irish in America who were not considered to be white people but later "graduated" to white status.

Jewish Americans also originally were classified as NOT white but now are classified as white.

Irish are not a race, Jews are not a race, but it doesn't matter (see above).

Again, race and color issues are very complex and very specific to different societies.

What few will acknowledge in this day of celebration is the way in which the Irish in American deployed whiteness in order to deflect the racism they encountered in the U.S.

Like many immigrant groups in the United States, the Irish were characterized as racial Others when they first arrived in the first half of the 19th century. The Irish had suffered profound injustice in the U.K. at the hands of the British, widely seen as “white negroes.”

http://www.racismreview.com/blog/2009/03/17/irish-americans-racism-whiteness/

Edited by Jingthing

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

racism is rodney king 

Rubbish!

Rodney King should've gotten his ass beat for being drunk in a Honda a white part of Los Angeles. -Barbershop

Most if not all of this white skin focus comes from immigrants from China.

Thai culture is not as narrow minded as its foreign cousins when it comes to skin colour.

Thai culture is not narrow minded?

How long have you been here?

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

"Whites Only: European-owned Citra offers cash to 'whitest' students"

Coconuts deliberately trying to stir it by putting "European-owned" in their headline.

I think it relevant and newsworthy that the company is European. They would not dare do such ads in Europe.

I am sure the farang general manager is having a bit of a discussion with his Thai Head of Marketing right about now.

It's a childish, bigoted and elitest advert. I am sure Unilever global won't be particularly proud of it.

It makes you wonder if they did polling before running this campaign. If they polled Anglo types, they would know how distasteful and offensive this ad campaign is but, If they polled Thais, I couldn't positively state they would see it the way we are responding on this forum. I think it's shameful but maybe, possibly, Thais don't see it that way.

Citra has been running the "white skin beautiful" line forever. Just not implying that it is inherently more intelligent to have white skin.

I dislike white skin with it propensity to show horrible blue veins underneath it. Give me a healthy young Thai Lady anytime who has a bit of colour to her skin, complimenting her lovely black hair and deep, deep brown eyes - time to lie down and take the blood pressure tabletsw00t.gif

""Our company has good consumer responsibility standards... We welcome all opinions and comments, but we are sincere and do not have any intention to have skin discrimination," said a Unilever Thailand spokeswoman on behalf of Citra." Did they have Brit embassy deliver this, just after their report about reducing services? Really amazing how anyone can deliver this load of manure without the smell gagging them. This is akin to saying "We don't judge based on skin color, just on how well they show up in the dark". Choosing based on whiteness is discrimination by definition. Idiots!

Why would they ask the Brit embassy about anything or to do anything? It's a Dutch company.

I tried to find the news article concerning Brit Embassy announcement that they weren't going to do x,y,z in Phuket anymore, but how they were so committed to providing service to Brit expats.... maybe a couple of weeks ago. I would have cited US ambassador for her load of dreck about the wonderful job Phuket has done fighting corruption, made a month or two ago, but again could not locate. I do not wish to seem I am anti Brit. I just wonder how people can spew this blatant crap with a straight face.

Thailand, you HAVE been colonised. Not politically ... but racially, by the Chinese. They're insidious.

They have had 400 years to do it, but it's really accelerated with mass media becoming available for brainwashing purposes. Chinese have been quite adept in changing cultures in the past and are currently expanding, S-E Asia is already gone, Africa will probably be next.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thai_Chinese

Mmmmm, I love dark skinned beauties!

Is it racism or just discrimination to find smooth honey-coloured or coffee-coloured skin sexually attractive, while finding pale white/pink skin with acne and sunburn a cause of sympathy?
Neither.

Sent from my GT-S5360B using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Racism is alive and well in Thailand, at least it would seem so at a corporate level anyway. Is this for real or some sort of coconuts spoof? It seems even more bigoted than the usual ads, which is saying a lot.

It's NOT racism. While the Thais have a preference for the 'lighter' skin, this isn't the usual black white thing they have going on in Europe and the United States.

It is racism. It is a disdain verging on contempt for someone based on their skin hue. That is racism and racist behaviour. It is bigoted, it is wrong, it is contemptible.

...and it is and has been for decades...longer...where's the historian...throughout Asia including Japan. However, I think bigotry is the better reference, that way you can include the entire world throughout history. Well, except those uninhabited (by humans) islands out wherever.

About the time I was a small kid, a dark tan was the mark of a laborer, and white was the mark of an office worker.

About the time I got to be an adult, a dark tan was a sign of an affluent person who has lots of leisure time.

Nowadays, a dark tan is a sign of a vain person who is ignorant of the dangers of skin cancer.

My guess is the pendulum swings back and forth everywhere- dark and light, thin and fat, long hair and short hair, glasses and contacts, and...

• Like 1

Owned by Unilever ( ie, the same company fined 100m Euros for running a price-fixing cartel.

name="Bluespunk" post="6950986" timestamp="1382429838"]

Coconuts deliberately trying to stir it by putting "European-owned" in their headline.

In Thailand white skin is considered high-so or upper educated class which is why white skinned Thais are always used in promotions for businesses.

Brown or Issan people are looked down on as low caste villagers.

In TV soapies the whites own the mansion and the brown people work as servants out the back.

At least old farangs seem to like them. lol

• Like 1

I dislike white skin with it propensity to show horrible blue veins underneath it. Give me a healthy young Thai Lady anytime who has a bit of colour to her skin, complimenting her lovely black hair and deep, deep brown eyes - time to lie down and take the blood pressure tabletsw00t.gif

No doubt! I know which look makes my tadpoles splash! That nice honey tone skin..

And which one ages faster due to collagen breaking down. Seems we always like the opposite of what we have too; dark hair want light hair, wavy hair want straight hair..the human condition, and maybe thrill of something different than what we have & get bored looking at in the mirror

It seems the bad thinkers are out voted..

134 reactions here mostly negative against 224,283 people who like Citra on Facebook.

...and millions of flies eat sh1t...

What is your point?

Means people are "buying it" in more ways than one. Farcebook is the ultimate case study on the general public here; given its most popular worldwide in Bangkok. Inside the mind of zombies, haha.

Racism is alive and well in Thailand, at least it would seem so at a corporate level anyway. Is this for real or some sort of coconuts spoof? It seems even more bigoted than the usual ads, which is saying a lot.

racism is rodney king this is called stupidity

Racism is about discrimination based on skin colour. This is what this campaign is promoting. But yes, there is a lot of stupidity involved as well.

Is it racism or just discrimination to find smooth honey-coloured or coffee-coloured skin sexually attractive, while finding pale white/pink skin with acne and sunburn a cause of sympathy?

What you find attractive or not attractive is your choice. Discrimination because people are the wrong skin tone is racist.

• Like 1

Just personal tastes. I discriminate when choosing close friends, business partners, GFs, etc. I discriminate against those with dubious character, poor personal hygiene, boorish behavior. It is extremely rare that I discriminate based on race, creed (religion), color, national origin, accent, wealth, and superficial traits that a person has no control over. No one chooses to be born ugly or short or bald. I discriminate on the basis of what a person has done with the cards they were dealt.

This ad campaign that seems to say that white people are more quick witted and therefore, by implication, smarter, is just wrong and perpetuates an inaccurate stereotype. It is causing more underlying division in a country that has too much division. So many 'forbidden' discussion subjects in Thailand means that stereotypes persist and along with that, discrimination.

• Like 1