cheques / Postal orders ONLY now at Hull.

Looking at the visa form it does say on the payment page that they no longer accept debit / credit cards.

Considering banks here in the UK rarely issue cheque books any longer that has to be a problem for some, plus the added expense of buying postal orders. Bank cheque guarantee card number also required for cheques.

edit... same applies for Birmingham and the Thai Embassy in London.

Hope this topic not covered before, apologies if it has.

Edited by crumpled

Also, I notice that the forms Abd1 and Abd2 which give the rules for Non-immigrant visas are not actually on the website any more. One assumes (?) that they're being updated....now I wonder what surprises are in store!

UK cheques were due to be phased out buy 2018 but there has been a change.

From Mr Google

Are cheques being phased out?

No. The Payments Council announced on 12 July 2011 that cheques will continue for as long as customers need them. A previously announced target for closing the cheque clearing system by 2018 has been cancelled.

Dunno where the poster got the impression that UK banks rarely issue cheque books any longer. All the major traditional UK clearing banks still operate current accounts with chequebooks AFAIK (the 5 I have used in the last 2 years still do eg). Online banks obviously do not and maybe the ex building society banks don't. I'm sure you can get a cashier cheque from all the banks exceot maybe online ones.

Hull probably dropped credit/debit cards to save paying commission. Their revenue must have been badly hit this Summer when additional restrictions came in.

I believe the fee for a cashier's cheque, aka banker's draft, is quite high. To get an ideal, I looked at the website of NatWest and their fee is GBP 20 – http://www.natwest.com/personal/current-accounts/g6/rates-charges/legacy-charges.ashx

Hull could simply add a payment processing fee to the visa fee. (In Switzerland, the Thai consulates want cash in the mail and nothing else)

Perhaps they will take Thai wife or rice pledge as a deposit.Seriously Postal Order in 2013 ! Redolent of the Winslow boy.OI sometimes wonder if the bigger picture is deter honest folks encourage overstay or folks to move to other countries

In response to Rak Sa-ngop and SantiSuk: I was contacted by Hull last week to provide a cheque as I had downloaded a payment form before they were revised and had given a card number for payment. The conversation led me to believe that the banks had told them to stop accepting cards. This was also implied in postings on Trip Advisor. Why this should be I have no idea but the lady I spoke to was quite apologetic. Also the new form does request a guarantee card number and, as Theoldgit pointed out, they were discarded some years back.
On specifically asking, I was told that they would not wait for the cheque to clear; but note that the form states that if your payment bounces they will cancel the visa.

A couple of other issues at Hull that are worth re-stating are:-

1 Now that multiple entry non-immigrant visas have to be approved by the Embassy they can no longer be issued while you wait.

2 It was implied to me, and there have been a number of reports online, that passports are being held for despatch until 1 week before flight date, and not sent back by return as before. I'm not sure if this applies to all visas or not but there are implications if you are leaving home a few days earlier, or need your passport for some other purpose before you leave etc.

One consequence of these changes appears to be that they are now inundated with stressed-out applicants concerned their documents have gone astray, and it is very difficult to get throught by phone. I'm not sure what you can do, but be warned. I hope this helps.

• Like 2

I noted that the page on the Hull website no longer listed the document requirements for a Non-O, marriage.

I emailed Hull a week ago for the requirements - no response.

I have tried to phone numerous times today, but only get the recorded voice saying all operators are busy, phone back. No option to wait in a queue.

I'm getting a bit concerned. Is Birmingham a good option?

2 It was implied to me, and there have been a number of reports online, that passports are being held for despatch until 1 week before flight date, and not sent back by return as before. I'm not sure if this applies to all visas or not but there are implications if you are leaving home a few days earlier, or need your passport for some other purpose before you leave etc.

They have been doing that on and off (tourist visa) for the last couple of years but I've not seen enough data to be sure why some are held back and why some are not. Looks to me that if you apply for a triple entry visa say 6 weeks before you fly (the date you put on the tourist visa application) then passports are held for a while presumably so the applicant gets the longest validity time for the visa as it starts on the date of issue. It's a kind thing to do? No idea about single entry but there would be little point in holding onto the passport for that reason, as would a double, but that does not mean they are not doing it.

Would be good to know if POs and cheques are the only means of payment when doing it in person via an appointment.

I should also mention that visas which require the applicant to show funds now have to have those funds in the same country. A friend had a British passport but because his bank address was in France it was refused in September this year. Well.... someone from Hull phones him up and said that all applications of 'that' type have to be sent to the Embassy in London and it would be refused so he got a triple entry tourist instead which I presume was via a French bank's debit card.

Colleague applied for a Single Entry Tourist Visa via Hull with a Departure date of early December. They have had the application now for some time and haven't even cashed the Cheque, despite Special Delivery Confirming Receipt of Documents.

Use this Consulate at your peril it would seem....

Edited by Chivas

All the signs of a company going bust

Main disrtributor does not renew contract

word gets around

bank squeeze

cheque guarantee card gets them their money even if they dont deliver

the credit card company pulls their floor limit

they dont reply tp phone/emails

and the dude taylor died a long time ago so what ever allegiance thailand owes is long past its sell by date

plus the fact that in the pipeline are a few more changes that require embassy clout

so any uk consulate must be reconsidering its business plan

there is no credence to the rumour that the uk thai embassy will now be paying its suppliers in rice

word gets around

bank squeeze

and the dude taylor died a long time ago so what ever allegiance thailand owes is long past its sell by date

plus the fact that in the pipeline are a few more changes that require embassy clout

so any uk consulate must be reconsidering its business plan

there is no credence to the rumour that the uk thai embassy will now be paying its suppliers in rice

You need to be aware that this is a serious situation for some and hardly a laughing matter. Do you know that the information in your post is accurate or are you surmising ??

If this "dude" as you called him died a long time ago why are cheques still made payable to him ??

word gets around

bank squeeze

How can he be the present consul if he 'died a long time ago'? Or are you just making stuff up?

word gets around

bank squeeze

How can he be the present consul if he 'died a long time ago'? Or are you just making stuff up?

He didn't actually say that he was present Thai Consul ??

My payment (in cash) was sent off. Tracked delivery.

I would rather pay a small admin fee for a credit / debit card (as with some travel agents / rail tickets) than have to pay extra for postal orders.

Whatever the reasons behind it, it is more inconvenient to use cheques and postal orders.

I find credit / debit cards are more convenient. I honestly cannot remember the last time I used a cheque. Added to that, the delay in contacting the bank and getting a cheque book sent out for ONE cheque seems crazy. Companies are looking to save money by becoming paperless in this day and age. That seems a good thing to me and I can keep all my payments, bills and statements in a backed up folder on my computer. Also I do not have to shred documents to help prevent identity theft.

Cheques? Yes, it does seem crazy to be going backwards in time.

On looking at Birminham and the Thai embassy, it seems they use the same rules of no credit / debit cards now too.

edit to add....

I have previously always found Hull consulate to be friendly and very helpful over many years of getting visas.

Edited by crumpled

word gets around

bank squeeze

"The present Consul, Mr Alan Taylor, was appointed in 1980. "

http://www.thaiconsul-uk.com

word gets around

bank squeeze

"The present Consul, Mr Alan Taylor, was appointed in 1980. "

http://www.thaiconsul-uk.com

You Guys have lost me. Is he still today the Consul or has he dropped off this mortal coil....?

48 Hours ago I emailed these guys about an unrelated issue asking them to answer previous email.

Unanswered again. Obviously there must be an issue at this Consulate. Friend also waiting for his passport/visa return. Unacceptable in my opinion. Why not put a message on their Website at least ??

• Like 1

You Guys have lost me. Is he still today the Consul or has he dropped off this mortal coil....?

I hardly think the consulate website would name a man as the Consul if he's dead would they?

TIT albeit...........in Hull tongue.png

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

48 Hours ago I emailed these guys about an unrelated issue asking them to answer previous email.

Unanswered again. Obviously there must be an issue at this Consulate. Friend also waiting for his passport/visa return. Unacceptable in my opinion. Why not put a message on their Website at least ??

I emailed either the Hull consulate or the embassy in London a couple of years back with 3 questions. The reason being the websites contradicted each other. I didn't get a reply so I emailed again and got an answer to one question only. That's the reason I come on this forum.

I need to get a Non Imm 'O' based on my recent marriage to a Thai national in Thailand. On the last available download of Additional Evidence for Non-Immigrant Visas it says Copies of Original Thai Marriage Certificate and Thai ID Card or Thai Passport Does anyone know if that means more than one copy and if so how many? I might send extra just to be safe. Also is anything else required?

I'm a bit concerned if they hold on to the visa as we're coming up to Christmas and my flighrt is on Christmas day so I don't want any mistakes or extra stress. xshock1.gif.pagespeed.ic.Q3XOm0fuQs.png

I emailed either the Hull consulate or the embassy in London a couple of years back with 3 questions. The reason being the websites contradicted each other. I didn't get a reply so I emailed again and got an answer to one question only. That's the reason I come on this forum.

I need to get a Non Imm 'O' based on my recent marriage to a Thai national in Thailand. On the last available download of Additional Evidence for Non-Immigrant Visas it says Copies of Original Thai Marriage Certificate and Thai ID Card or Thai Passport Does anyone know if that means more than one copy and if so how many? I might send extra just to be safe. Also is anything else required?

I'm a bit concerned if they hold on to the visa as we're coming up to Christmas and my flighrt is on Christmas day so I don't want any mistakes or extra stress. xshock1.gif.pagespeed.ic.Q3XOm0fuQs.png

Are you wanting a single or multiple entry visa?

Just one copy is needed.

I suggest you contact one one of the other consulates (Birmingham, Liverpool or Cardiff).

Are you wanting a single or multiple entry visa?

Just one copy is needed.

I suggest you contact one one of the other consulates (Birmingham, Liverpool or Cardiff).

Sorry I should have said multiple entry.

I've used Hull before without a problem and I can send a cheque so that's not an issue. I could look at one of the others though.

Perhaps I should suggest the embassy and consulates just add a link to Thai Visa since this is where the accurate information is.

Thanks

Edited by kimamey