US Consulate CM - 3 week wait for a notarial appointment, really?

dbk2322

Hi Nancy, that is what I do, I use BKKbank NY branch routing number for transfers, luckily as the CU rep said they no longer wire money to foreign banks. After they receive my doc about my address, I will call to do the transfer.... I was informed that the limit is for any transfer, i will check again.

Talk to your credit union to see if you can do an interbank transfer to Bangkok Bank's NYC branch -- assuming you have an account at any Bangkok Bank branch here. That's what I did after our credit union reduced the max they'd permit for a wire transfer. Should have done it a long time ago. There are instructions on how to do it on the Bangkok Bank website -- with the NYC branch routing number, and your local Bangkok Bank account number, etc. All it took was a phone call to the U.S. credit union to figure out how to make their internet banking work to make a bank-to-bank transfer.

Excellent advice. As pointed out, you may have to guide your financial institution through this process as it might not be familiar with it.

Wonder how many Thai banks, other than Bangkok Bank, have branches suitable for such transactions.

Edited by Mapguy

Is an "interbank transfer" different from a swift, wire transfer? if so how does it differ?

Mainly cost to the customer. Sometimes, the rapidity with which the transfer might be completed. Depends on where you are, whether a domestic or an international transfer, and to where abroad, if international.

Edited by Mapguy

An interbank transfer is basically a domestic bank transfer. It's as if I had a car loan with Bangkok Bank NYC and wanted my credit union to send them money every month to pay the car note. It's very similar to the interbank transfer options you have on the ATM screens here. i.e. from a Bangkok Bank account to, say a SCB account.