Flora Festival 2013

Tywais

Flora Festival 2013 At Royal Park Rajapruek, Chiang Mai

J020131106162435.jpg

Royal Park Rajapruek, Highland Research and Development Institute (Public Organization) cooperated with Royal Project Foundation will hold “Flora Festival 2013” under the concept “Colorful Flowers” which are the 4th times of festival in winter season at Royal Park Rajapruek, Chiang Mai Province. The festival will be held on 1 December 2013 - 28 February 2014 from 08.00 am. – 08.00 pm. at Royal Park Rajapruek, Chiang Mai. .....

More - Royal Park Rajapruek

Went to the one up there last year and it was brilliant( Queen Sirikit gardens I think), absolutely spectacular and took a whole day to see it all. Really is a must see for anyone that likes gardens/flowers. Luckily they had special transport buses/carts that picked you up and dropped you off at each of the exhibits so you didnt have to walk and the water show in the evening was well worth the wait.

Edited by seajae

Went to the one up there last year and it was brilliant( Queen Sirikit gardens I think), absolutely spectacular and took a whole day to see it all. Really is a must see for anyone that likes gardens/flowers. Luckily they had special transport buses/carts that picked you up and dropped you off at each of the exhibits so you didnt have to walk and the water show in the evening was well worth the wait.

Queen Sirikit Botanical Garden is somewhere altogether (in Mae Sa). Royal Park Rajapruek is near the Night Safari in the Hang Dong area. The only really great event at Royal Park Rajapruek is the Royal Flora Festival they have every 5 years. There are other festivals throughout the year which are. O.K. The water show must be at the Night Safari, no?

Queen Sirikit Botanical Garden is somewhere altogether (in Mae Sa).

That is where the Botanical Festival is being held (Mae Rim) that I posted the same time as this announcement - http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/684767-botanical-festival/ They both look interesting.

I hope things have improved at Queen Sirikit Botanical Garden. We took some Japanese guests there in May and it was rather disappointing. It's quite a beautiful area of course but there was nothing much to see. Most of the gardens were being renovated, and there was absolutely no one who could answer any questions about anything. The day we were there I don't think there were more than 4 or 5 other people in the entire park. The coffee shop was closed. The Japanese wanted to photograph those giant Lotus plants that look like huge discs and after we asked about 8 workers were they were and no one could answer (no one understood or spoke a word of Thai), we found the pond ourselves and the plants were 75% dead. It looked like no one had cared for them in months.

Having said that, I would go again in the hope that things have gotten better.

Went to the Royal Flora yesterday and have to report its a pretty dismal disappointing event! A good display of Orchids, but that takes all of five minutes to see, other than that theres a sort of indoor aircraft hangar type building with some flowers laid out in neat rows, but again, not really worth the fuel to drive there (I live just near there!)

They have a shuttle bus which takes you around the grounds. Most of the Thai visitors never even got off the bus, thats how inspiring it was!

Whats really sad is to see all the pavillions and set piece areas inside the Rachapruek development which were built for the Royal Flora five or so years ago now going to rack & ruin, boarded up, peeling paint, hosts of flagpoles with no flags, etc etc. Now it seems like wasted space, wasted opportunity!

If anyone wants to see a beautifully maintained garden in Northern Thailand, pay a visit to the Doi Tung Palace, up towards Mae Sai, thats really good!

Thanks for the update and sorry to hear the state of the display as was planning to take the wife to it as we have never been there. Also live just around the corner from there.

Have been to Doi Tung Palace many years ago and it was amazing.

Tywais, if you live nearby, and you prove you are a resident (drivers license etc) you can go in for 50 baht (normally 100 baht for Foreigners). I would say that living nearby and for only 50 baht its worth an hour of your time.....thats about it!

Tywais, if you live nearby, and you prove you are a resident (drivers license etc) you can go in for 50 baht (normally 100 baht for Foreigners). I would say that living nearby and for only 50 baht its worth an hour of your time.....thats about it!

May still go as have never been there and do want to do a bit of photography while at it. Will bring along my work permit, university ID, copy of my 3BB bill and DL and see how it goes. biggrin.png

• Like 1