Beat up by a baht bus driver ... are they above the law?

Jingthing

• Replies 296
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Look jt, some of us know how to take care of our self, BUT, when 10 bht is involved I/perhaps/we, would cough up, smile, and walk away. End of story. Just not worth the hassle over 10 bht.

Dude did you read the thread? I agree. I erred but the violence is still not cool.

Sent from my GT-S5360B using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

I just think your trying to get as much MILAGE out of this thread as you can, a bit like some people who try to get more MILAGE for their 10 baht on a baht bus.

Spot on.

I was actually more interested in the nature of the "beat up" beating ... was it a volley of punches to the face and guts, or a shove to the shoulder? or getting smacked with a fanny pack?

Legs and ears. Multiple hits and kicks. Leg still sore.

The time and energy you've spent on this enthralling thread about your assault from a thuggish baht bus driver (alledgedly) may have been better spent reporting the incident to th BIB or tourist Police hey Jing, you did say you had the baht bus number did you not..?.

Now hop along on your bad leg and do the thing jing and report it, you may save someone else from a beating in the future, how would you feel in the future if you were reading about a murder in Pattaya by a baht bus driver of a resident/tourist to Pattaya and you realised it was the same driver who allegedly assaulted you..??

Food for though eh...

What happened to a proper bus system in Pattaya I seem to remember hearing about? These baht bus thugs in Pattaya are a rip off to start with. For 20 baht in bkk you could go from pratunam to pram 2 on the expressway in a nice air con bus, and things are meant to be cheaper in Pattaya! Life and respect certainly seems to be.

yada yada baht bus thug,

yakety-yak Bangkok bus,

bla-bla-bla-bla expressway,

send an SMS my way.

coffee1.gif

If I am in town, I'd be more than happy to give you a ride. Standard charge is one beer each way. 5555

I absolutely hate baht buses and avoid them at all costs.

Craig,

please submit a sworn affidavit that you won't beat up JT if he tells you "let's share this bottle, i only opened it yesterday and don't want it to go waste".

wink.png

• Like 2

What happened to a proper bus system in Pattaya I seem to remember hearing about? These baht bus thugs in Pattaya are a rip off to start with. For 20 baht in bkk you could go from pratunam to pram 2 on the expressway in a nice air con bus, and things are meant to be cheaper in Pattaya! Life and respect certainly seems to be.

yada yada baht bus thug,

yakety-yak Bangkok bus,

bla-bla-bla-bla expressway,

send an SMS my way.

coffee1.gif

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/686298-things-to-keep-people-safe-during-the-high-season/

Jingle bells

Jingle bells

Jingle all the way..

Oh what fun it really is

Riding round pattaya for ten baht all the way...

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/686298-things-to-keep-people-safe-during-the-high-season/

facepalm.giffacepalm.giffacepalm.giffacepalm.giffacepalm.gif

^^ Are you suggesting one of these instead of the Baht Bus?

santas-sleigh-smiley-emoticon.gif

One of them around Pattaya, I'd pay a 1000 baht a day to ride around on one, up and down the sois shouting ho ho ho, though I'd keep me mouth shut on soi 6 about ho ho ho...facepalm.gif

• Like 2

There is the biggest hint, OP says : I am not young , fit, and can not run so why run at the mouth if the body can not follow? This is no place for the weak or those who believe PC will prevail. I suggest if you want to aggravate an uneducated thug get fit, get mean, and grow a pair.

His problem was, he ignored the warning signs.

20 baht, say nothing, give 10 baht , walk away.

For some reason know only to JT he decided to let this scum/thug know he wasnt a tourist, but an expat, an expat would have ignored it, but good old JT goes like a bull for the red flag.

His answer, mai chai sip, is basically saying he agreed with the thug (not ten baht is what JT said), an expat would have said something like, sip baht por dee, if at all, most would have ignored this thug.

Wasnt he thrown out of a Pharmacy shop for arguing? with the owner, from some previous post.

Great stuff, couldnt make it up.

Was he wearing a red or yellow shirt at the time?

• Like 1

Never thrown out of a pharmacy dude. Hilarious that you would think that. I avoid red or yellow shirts. I get point about the Thai but another to see that is not correct was my response to the driver saying the fare was 20. I did leave out khrap.

This strange comment about being thrown out of pharmacy, a made up fantasy, shows how much this thread is about some forum members personal feelings towards OP, and not about the assault, a criminal act. It is sad.

Sent from my C6802 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Edited by valgehiir

This strange comment about being thrown out of pharmacy, a made up fantasy, shows how much this thread is about personal feelings towards OP, and not about the assault, a criminal act. It is sad.

Being as there is no proof about alledged incident between alledged thuggish baht bus driver and Mr Jingthing, as you only have Mr Jings written word on Thai Visa, don't you think it prudent to keep an open mind about alledged incident because that is all it is at the moment, an alledged incident on a forum by a Member of TV....

Oh and some members find it strange that Mr jingthing was refusing to answer certain questions about the alledged incident...Don't you find that strange...?

Maybe it's strange that you believe all your told.....coffee1.gif

Edited by MB1
  • Like 2

Well, one of the better maps I found came from Thai Visa (apparently) ... I'll track that down later.

busroutes.jpg

As for prices ... from 2009

Official minibus fares listed by the Chonburi Transport Office are:

That map is partially correct though it does show circular routes that just dont exist.

Those prices have never been applied to my knowledge.

The real main routes are:

Jomtien Beach Rd > Pattaya 2nd Rd > Naklua

Naklua > Pattaya Beach Rd > Jomtien Beach Rd

(Some buses only do a part of that route and may circle around Pattaya Beach Road and 2nd Rd without ever going to Jomtien or Naklua, or may just do the Jomtien/Pattaya part or the Pattaya/Naklua part).

Corner of Thappraya/Theprasit > Theprasit/Sukumvit (and back). Not every day.

The lengths of South Rd, Central Rd and North Rd (and back). 3 routes.

Opposite BigC in Klang along Soi Buakow and then on to South Rd/2nd Rd (and back).

A very long stretch of Sukumvit that can be as far as Sattahip to Sri Racha (white baht bus for the whole length, and light blue buses for part of it in Pattaya).

There are other colours and routes, and you may just find the occasional bus doing some route of his own devising. Or the driver may just decide it's time for lunch and turn off the route completely.

All the blue bus routes in Jomtien/Pattaya/Naklua have 10B as the standard fare, unless you go more than half way on the Jomtien/Naklua/Jomtien run in which case it's 20B.

The white bus may also be 20B according to distance.

• Like 1

Where do you get that JT was "seriously beat up?"

I read what he posts. Muliple hits and kicks to ears and feet.

We can argue about what costitutes being beat up, I'd say he was beat up. OP says he was beat up.

You may argue that since he could still move using his own feet after the assault, it was not really a beating.

Jomtien to Central Festival. If they don't drive like an idiot, I often flip them a whole twenty.

It's your money to do with as you will of course, but do you always buy two tickets in the Underground or Subway or Metro or cable car or whatever mass transit system you have in your home town?

Do you pay double price for your air tickets too?

• Like 1

Never thrown out of a pharmacy dude. Hilarious that you would think that. I avoid red or yellow shirts. I get point about the Thai but another to see that is not correct was my response to the driver saying the fare was 20. I did leave out khrap.

I apologise, never thrown out, ok what was it, asked to leave?

Didnt you get into it one time with a pharmacist?.

Nothing about leaving out krap, dont answer these muppets, walk away, jeez, how long have you been here now?

I admire you standing up for your principals, I do the same, but there are times and places where you will never win, arguing with the scum of Pattaya aint one of the places you will win, jeez even the Thais know this never mind us dumb farang buffalo.

This strange comment about being thrown out of pharmacy, a made up fantasy, shows how much this thread is about some forum members personal feelings towards OP, and not about the assault, a criminal act. It is sad.

This strange comment about being thrown out of pharmacy, a made up fantasy,

I have already apologised to JT and asked the question, was he asked to leave?

I rememeber him posting about an incident where he claimed to know more than the pharmacist.

Whether he was thrown out or asked to leave is a moot point.

The point is, we are talking about an expat with about 10 years experience in Pattaya, there are times when you keep your mouth shut, capice,

Jomtien to Central Festival. If they don't drive like an idiot, I often flip them a whole twenty.

It's your money to do with as you will of course, but do you always buy two tickets in the Underground or Subway or Metro or cable car or whatever mass transit system you have in your home town?

Do you pay double price for your air tickets too?

Taxies, I tip.

Subways are automated.. so no I don't tip Subways.

Cable cars. Haven't been in a cable car lately.

Pilots, I don't tip.

Edited by UncleJ

The point is, we are talking about an expat with about 10 years experience in Pattaya, there are times when you keep your mouth shut, capice,

I thought the point of this thread is how a foreigner can be assaulted by a local, with no concequences usually.

• Like 1

BTW I do agree avoid talking with the drivers in any language. My game was lame. In this case this guy was gonna get his bonus or pound of flesh regardless. He gave the clues and I was just off. No doubt just should have paid.

An acquaintance of mine from Bangkok was driving in Pattaya and bumped mirrors with a baht bus and the driver became irate. My friend knew he was near the police station on Soi 9 and drove there hoping the guy would leave him and his family alone. What did the taxi driver do? Smashed his windshield, right in the police station parking lot.

So, here on this forum there is no definitive answer as to what baht bus fares should be. No definitive resource as to where it goes from 10 baht to 20 baht when riding in from Jomtien. No one here knows. I certainly don't. There are some old maps but they aren't accurate since we all know baht buses don't go in a loop.

I know if I get a baht bus in Jomtien over the hill if I get out within sight of Pattaya Tai I it is 10 baht. Have never had an issue. If I get a ride all the way home which is only to Soi 13 I drop 20. But no one really knows what is the correct fare.

Except the OP. He knows for certain and is willing to stand his ground.

And I doubt the baht bus drivers really know either. This driver thought once he crossed Pattaya Tai he was in 20 baht range. So when OP refused to pay the full fare, in effect stealing from him is his opinion, he lashed out. All of course assuming our guess as to OPs route is correct. Of course this state secret is guarded almost as well as the spaceship in Area 53.

OP could have paid the disputed amount. The amount no one on this board is certain of. But in the OPs mind it is NOT that amount and he took a slapping instead of paying that 10 baht.

Stubbornness can be fatal in a 3rd world nation. OP should learn from this exchange. BTW, no one has condoned the violence. Only explained it's cause and OP's partial responsibility in setting it off. OP of course prefers to label anyone who understands what happened as a "thai apologist". Yet more evidence that OP is an annoying person on line and likely in person as well. Combine annoying and stubborn and cheating (in his opinion) a thai I am surprised this is the first instance of violence OP has experienced.

My advice to OP is move. It won't be your last time and this time was mild. Any time you are assaulted and don't need a hospital is a mild assault. Next time maybe the pipe comes out and you are on life support. Seriously, based on how you have reacted to people in this thread you should consider moving to someplace with less potential for confrontation.

• Like 2

I thought the point of this thread is how a foreigner can be assaulted by a local, with no concequences usually.

There is never a set point to ANY thread laugh.png

BTW, I agree the thais are shocking about enforcing law. But I believe they are shocking about doing it within themselves as well and don't understand why we expect police interference in an event that left no one bloody.

well i knew it would only be a matter of time before Jingthing got taken to task on his insistence of only paying 5 and 10 baht for a ride , i always give them 20 baht and and be done with it no arguing no hassle and im on my way lifes way too short !!!!