Why are so many foreigners backing Suthep?

kawaiimomo

i support suthep.

I can vote.

But Suthep doesn't want an election, he wants the power without the inconvenience of allowing people to vote. So in reality he has nothing but contempt for your support and your vote. I believe the term is 'useful idiot'!

'Useful Idiots' John Lennon quote I believe, pretty appropriate in this case

• Replies 210
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For all his faults, and Thaksin acknowledges many of them in interviews he has done during his exile, Thailand did enjoy a period of relative prosperity during his premiership.

He is an astute businessman rather than an academic like Abhisit. If I had 1000 baht to invest in either individual I would certainly entrust it to Thaksin. Of course he would 'cream off' a sizeable percentage himself, but I would still be confident that he would maximise my returns on what remained

As for Abhisit, he may not be as shrewd as Thaksin in finding ways to skim off money from my investment, which would seem to be good news for me, but he would also be unlikely to grow my investment at the same rate as Thaksin so I would ultimately end up far worse off under his financial stewardship

When Thaksin was ousted from power it put the brake on Thailand's growth and prosperity. Even Abhisit's supporters must accept that during his period in office he did little to improve economic growth, in fact the Abhisit was true

• Like 1

So what does Thailand do? Scrap elections? Change the franchise rules so that only 'sophisticated' adults can vote? Go through endless cycles of mass protest and governmental disruption with attendant social and economic disruption? No matter how difficult, the only answer in a country that wants to be democratic is legal change within the bounds of the democratic system. It might be hard but who said democracy was meant to be straightforward. But if the country isnt committed to this, then democracy is just a catchphrase here and is basically meaningless.

Sent from my GT-I9300T using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

It's a complex situation, you cannot read it in black and white if you properly follow politics. On the surface Suthep seems fascist, to say those that support the overthrow of the Thaksin cancer on democracy are fascist for agreeing with his initiative is naive. A lot of us recognise he's off his rocker and being unreasonable, but put it in prospective to the utter BS we've all put up with for two years under a so-called 'elected govt' that turned out to be a one-man whitewash and money-grab 'whatever' and you can see why 400,000 people turned out to follow this fascist.

His suggestions for a people's council seem far fetched but if managed properly, without any controlling influence from either him or PT, we have the potential for a unelected temporary council to reform democracy and avoid an endless cycle of phoney elections that produce a govt so self-serving that they draw the biggest ever protest crowds in Thailand's history.

Face it, Yingluck has been a disaster, and simply having an election to solve the deadlock will just return us, in due course, to the same deadlocked disaster situation. Thus, Suthep's neo-fascist suggestion starts to gain traction, blame it then on our politicians.

One last thing, as long as farangs live here, pay tax, lose business to this nonsense we have every right to comment even if we are denied the vote.

• Like 2

For all his faults, and Thaksin acknowledges many of them in interviews he has done during his exile, Thailand did enjoy a period of relative prosperity during his premiership.

He is an astute businessman rather than an academic like Abhisit. If I had 1000 baht to invest in either individual I would certainly entrust it to Thaksin. Of course he would 'cream off' a sizeable percentage himself, but I would still be confident that he would maximise my returns on what remained

As for Abhisit, he may not be as shrewd as Thaksin in finding ways to skim off money from my investment, which would seem to be good news for me, but he would also be unlikely to grow my investment at the same rate as Thaksin so I would ultimately end up far worse off under his financial stewardship

When Thaksin was ousted from power it put the brake on Thailand's growth and prosperity. Even Abhisit's supporters must accept that during his period in office he did little to improve economic growth, in fact the Abhisit was true

It's not about money for yourself. It's about a decent life and prosperity for all, coupled with a good education system, health care, care for the elderly and a safe and prosperous society. True democrats understand this and can deliver. Meglomaniac sociopathic dictators can't. But if you support them and kow-tow, sure they'll double the value of your baht - at the expense of the poor and dispossessed. I know which I'd chose!

I don't know enough about the guy to know if he's a fascist.

That happens to be the same reason I don't necessarily support his demonstrations.

I'm not sure what circles you travel in, but I don't know any farang that have really chosen a side.
The concensus among those of us that can string a sentence together is that Democracy, even sketchy elections, beats a self-appointed rich politician.

• Like 1

Why are so many foreigners backing Suthep?

Who says they do?!? It is Thai politics, and I learned (the hard way!) not to interfere with (any) politics... I even refuse to talk about it, unless they are really good friends (and I know their point of view)

Thaksin dragged Thai politics into the 21st Centrury - albeit at a cost - he totally outwitted his opposition - which lets face irt wasn't difficult. The opposition still can't get over that they aren't in charge any more and have failed to grasp the basics of democracy. If they had, they could quite possibly stand a good chance of getting elected....DEMOCRATICALLY....something as a party they have repeatedly failed to do.

To invoke Godwin's law - Hitler got voted in by default - and in Thailand so long as neither side of politics grasps the concept of being fairly ELECTED, democracy and a stable government will be a pipe-dream.

The democrats barely know where isaan is.

• Like 1

Personally I see both sides being equally corrupt. The biggest difference being the Thaksin group do a better job of

paying off the farmers to put/keep them in power. I don't think anything will change quickly while 70% of Thais believe

corruption is OK as long as it benefits them. In the mean time ex-pats can enjoy the benefits an unsettled government

has on the baht exchange rate.

• Like 1

Personally I see both sides being equally corrupt. The biggest difference being the Thaksin group do a better job of

paying off the farmers to put/keep them in power. I don't think anything will change quickly while 70% of Thais believe

corruption is OK as long as it benefits them. In the mean time ex-pats can enjoy the benefits an unsettled government

has on the baht exchange rate.

Not those of us that recieve our wages in baht.

That reminds me: I need to have a talk with my boss. heh.

I complete agree with the original poster. The red shirt government of Thailand (by whatever name it currently holds) is the democratically elected government o the Kingdom. At each and every election, the reds have demonstrated that they hold majority support of the population, something the yellows have never been able to gain. This protest is an attempt by a minority, who cannot win democratic elections, to seize control of the Thai government, and install a fascist regime. This will take Thailand back decades, to the rule of the generals, who will loot and pillage the country, to the detriment of the majority of the population.

There is no evidence that the 'Generals' have looted and pillaged the country. There is plenty of evidence that Thaksin and the Shinawatras have done so.

• Like 2

I complete agree with the original poster. The red shirt government of Thailand (by whatever name it currently holds) is the democratically elected government o the Kingdom. At each and every election, the reds have demonstrated that they hold majority support of the population, something the yellows have never been able to gain. This protest is an attempt by a minority, who cannot win democratic elections, to seize control of the Thai government, and install a fascist regime. This will take Thailand back decades, to the rule of the generals, who will loot and pillage the country, to the detriment of the majority of the population.

There is no evidence that the 'Generals' have looted and pillaged the country. There is plenty of evidence that Thaksin and the Shinawatras have done so.

Wow.

I will guess you have not read the books banned in Thailand and rely on The Nation for information.

• Like 1

Thaksin dragged Thai politics into the 21st Centrury - albeit at a cost - he totally outwitted his opposition - which lets face irt wasn't difficult. The opposition still can't get over that they aren't in charge any more and have failed to grasp the basics of democracy. If they had, they could quite possibly stand a good chance of getting elected....DEMOCRATICALLY....something as a party they have repeatedly failed to do.

To invoke Godwin's law - Hitler got voted in by default - and in Thailand so long as neither side of politics grasps the concept of being fairly ELECTED, democracy and a stable government will be a pipe-dream.

There is a world North of Saraburi?...Who knew LOL

Its a bit like the Watford gap.

All dusty and full of wild animals and no Starbucks. Almost like real thailand...

Its a bit like the Watford gap.

All dusty and full of wild animals and no Starbucks. Almost like real thailand...

Trouble is, I think a lot of the Bangkokians think the inhabitants are the wild animals!

I do not know about Thai politics....just because I do not know about politics on my own country and in any country....and I believe that very few people in this world really knows about what is going on in any government....In most countries the Police and the Army will act to protect its Government institutions...Didn't happens here...Just think about....

But...I only know this....If the PEOPLE voted for its government in a clean election....NOBODY have the rights to fight against with violence of any type, or supporting "revolution". That is called Democracy and Respect. Countries belongs to its PEOPLE not to a ELITE with only interest in power and money and without any interest in serving honestly. ...PEOPLE have the right to make mistakes...and fix it in a new election....or make another mistake.

Wow.

I will guess you have not read the books banned in Thailand and rely on The Nation for information.

+1.

If you have not read these books then you don't know about the "Commies" in the poor North and NE in the late 70's and early 80's, and the helicopter gunships, and the systematic destruction of entire villages, executions etc etc. Even my wife did not know about this, and the old people rarely open up about it. Facts. But you can't discuss this stuff here, so it never happened. Except it did...

It's not about money for yourself. It's about a decent life and prosperity for all, coupled with a good education system, health care, care for the elderly and a safe and prosperous society. True democrats understand this and can deliver. Meglomaniac sociopathic dictators can't. But if you support them and kow-tow, sure they'll double the value of your baht - at the expense of the poor and dispossessed. I know which I'd chose!

looks to me like the poor did OK under Taksin...but never let the facts get in the way of a chance to spout nonsense......

Income in the northeast, the poorest part of the country, rose by 41 percent. Poverty nationwide dropped from 21 percent to 11 percent

• Like 2

why are so many of our new and recent posters/members that only joined when this started in here to comment purely on political matters and are obvious red shirts/ptp/thaksin backers. Answer is because they can get away with it, just wish the mods would stop those that only answer in political pieces like this and not in any other general pieces about life/news in general, we are becoming a defacto red shirt paradise for their publicists.

why are so many of our new and recent posters/members that only joined when this started in here to comment purely on political matters and are obvious red shirts/ptp/thaksin backers. Answer is because they can get away with it, just wish the mods would stop those that only answer in political pieces like this and not in any other general pieces about life/news in general, we are becoming a defacto red shirt paradise for their publicists.

Perhaps because major events with serious consequences are of far more interest and concern to those living in Thailand than ordinary forum discussions and they perceive a lot of inaccuracy in the posts from those based in Bangkok who haven't spent much time in the countryside?

You don't find it ironic that you are trying to remove alternative points of view even from an open forum primarily inhabited by expatriates when you're coming from the side that has been accused of subverting democracy and ignoring the viewpoints of the majority of the country? I do!

• Like 1

Can I nominate the above as dumb post of the year?

• Like 2

"I personally think that, as foreigners being guest in this country, we shouldn't involve in national matters that we mostly do not understand.

1- We have accepted (for different personal - good - reasons) to have no domestic right.

2- Paying taxes and spending money here didn't change our blood. None of us can become Thai nor can "think Thai"

3- Even after 10 or 20 years here, we will not understand totally the positions of each side.

4- If we want Thai people to respect us, let's start to be respectable. Let's be out of these national matters concerning Thais only.

5- Whatever the government is or will be, if we want to live in Thailand we must follow the rules.

6- If we are not happy, so let's go back to our countries and be fine there ;-)"

Well. My husband is thai and for the time being he lives with me in France. Here in France, you do not have to change your "blood" to become french. Saying otherwise would appear as a fascist, xenophobist argument. So, my husband will in a soon future become french and be granted the right to vote. Until then, knowing that he lives in France, I am very happy if he has an opinion of the politics here and want to say this opinion publicly.

So I do not see why foreigners who live in Thailand should not have the right to discuss the political situation and take sides. As for the "national matters concerning Thais only" that you mention: those "Thais" can sometimes be a foreigner's own children, if they have married a thai citizen. Should they not be concerned about what the country has to offer to their Thai kids?

Not talking about the fight against Franco in spain in the 1930's: the involvment of many foreigners there to fight dictatorship is looked at as an act of heroism... So, does it still look so simple to you?

Very good post

Nice.... now you are advocating that even harmless ramblings on a completely irrelevant internet forum be censored to line up with your view of who should have a say in these matters. No wonder you don't have a problem with the "anti-government"s plan to do away with the democratic process. You really need to hit the history books a little harder.....

R

Yes, the Amnesty Bill was ill-conceived, short-sighted, and an attempt to get Thaksin back to Thailand.

A lot of people INCLUDING those not aligned with the Democrats demonstrated strong opposition to this bill, and it was dropped...

the protesters who want some kind of vague solution that they can't even define...

why do you support a protest that demands something that is completely and totally against the constitution and has no basis in law?

many foreigners back suthep, because his enemies post nonsense like above:

1. "the amnesty bill was dropped" while in fact it was only put on hold by the senat for only 180 days

2. "vague solution they can't even define"? they have clear legal demands: oust corrupt undemocratic puppets & criminals

3. "totally against the constitution and no basis in law?" HOW can you know that if its alledgedly "vague & undefined"

it is totally legal & well defined in the laws to be against corruption, against criminals & against a goverment from exile in dubai

btw: you cannot just 'drop' a bill. real democracy needs a new bill, which overrides the old bill & clearly says: there will be NO amnesty for corruption

that is a clear demand of the protesters, not 'vague' like the blanket amnesty even for murderers to get away with murder

it should anyway not begin earlier than with the occupation of the airport 5 years ago, not 10 years like proposed by the puppets

• Like 1