Good tv series

beechbum

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 3 weeks later...

"Fresh off the boat " is good for some light watching. Series about a Chinese family that moves from Chinatown in Washington DC to Orlando to open an American steakhouse.

I just found this and like it a lot. The first episode was not so good, but it got better.

Downloaded, but, haven't watched, yet.

May delete it if I need the room.

Waiting for the 1st July to download episode 2 of Mr. Robot. Looks like a very promising series.

This is an interesting series. I am beginning to wonder if Christian Slater ( mr robot ) may be a figment of the main characters imagination something like fight club.

Brilliant thread. Think I must have about 300 GB of TV and movies to watch now smile.png I just hope some of the series do get to concluding rather than just getting abandoned.

Homeland was OK but while I'm all for suspending belief in the name of entertainment some of the plot lines were like waaaay beyond even incredible. None more so than Carrie who clearly isn't fit to be left in charge of an ice-cream stall let alone a CIA CT unit!

Wolfe Hall was OK if a bit plodding and solemn. Personally I think The Tudors handled the story line better. The first episode of Wolf Hall with its constant skip backs in time (with no indication when you'd arrived back in present day) was confusing to say the least.

The Brink. Total crap IMHO. Not at all engaging, far from being funny and a god-awful script that it almost seems that people are reading from as they 'act'.

The Americans - brilliant. Even if dear Paige is a bit of a dullard, the domestics with her get a bit tiresome.

Enjoyed Mad Dogs, hope I can get hold S3 and S4.

Loads of other good series mentioned but the trouble with TV series is the trackers dry up pretty quick once you get past a year old, esp if they are not US series. "Last Tango in Halifax' for example, hard to get now.

Just about to give this a spin too.

Dark Matter: The six-person crew of a derelict spaceship awakens from stasis in the farthest reaches of space. Their memories wiped clean, they have no recollection of who they are or how they got on board. The only clue to their identities is a cargo bay full of weaponry and a destination: a remote mining colony that is about to become a war zone. With no idea whose side they are on, they face a deadly decision. Will these amnesiacs turn their backs on history, or will their pasts catch up with them?

Dark Matter: The six-person crew of a derelict spaceship awakens from stasis in the farthest reaches of space. Their memories wiped clean, they have no recollection of who they are or how they got on board. The only clue to their identities is a cargo bay full of weaponry and a destination: a remote mining colony that is about to become a war zone. With no idea whose side they are on, they face a deadly decision. Will these amnesiacs turn their backs on history, or will their pasts catch up with them?

Haven't seen it, but, have heard the actors are all unknowns (not a bad thing) with crap acting skills.

Will give it a go when I run out of other stuff.

Haven't seen it, but, have heard the actors are all unknowns (not a bad thing) with crap acting skills.

7.1 at IMDB but I pulled the plug on it after three episodes just did not find it entertaining . sad.png

7.1 at IMDB but I pulled the plug on it after three episodes just did not find it entertaining . sad.png

Ah. Oh well. Disk space is cheap these days so I'll grab at while I can (always much faster to get them shortly after release than months / years later), I'll just bin it if it's that bad. Might grab this too, though I have a feeling it might go the same way, in this case I'll stick with it for Rhona Mitra:

The Last Ship: The crew of a naval destroyer is forced to confront the reality of a new existence when a pandemic kills off most of the earth's population.

Gonna try these as well while I'm at it. Might as well stock up for those cold (not) wintery (not) nights.

American Odyssey: Three families are torn apart when a stranded female soldier, a disillusioned corporate attorney and a disrespected political activist are pulled into the same shocking international military conspiracy.

True Detective: An anthology series in which police investigations unearth the personal and professional secrets of those involved, both within and outside the law. Mixed reviews but I like Vince Vaughan and Colin Farrell.

The Killing: A police investigation, the saga of a grieving family, and a Seattle mayoral campaign all interlock after the body of 17-year-old Rosie Larsen is found in the trunk of a submerged car.

Interceptor: Series about a Customs Officer, Marcus Ashton (Ash) who is recruited to a new law enforcement team tasked with hunting down some of Britain's most wanted criminals. The series is inspired by the book of the same name which details the career of former customs agent Cameron Addicott, written by Kris Hollington.

Even if they're crap it'll save me from the endless repeats on TrueVision at the bargain price of only 1,500 baht per month.

Brilliant thread. Think I must have about 300 GB of TV and movies to watch now smile.png I just hope some of the series do get to concluding rather than just getting abandoned.

Homeland was OK but while I'm all for suspending belief in the name of entertainment some of the plot lines were like waaaay beyond even incredible. None more so than Carrie who clearly isn't fit to be left in charge of an ice-cream stall let alone a CIA CT unit!

Wolfe Hall was OK if a bit plodding and solemn. Personally I think The Tudors handled the story line better. The first episode of Wolf Hall with its constant skip backs in time (with no indication when you'd arrived back in present day) was confusing to say the least.

The Brink. Total crap IMHO. Not at all engaging, far from being funny and a god-awful script that it almost seems that people are reading from as they 'act'.

The Americans - brilliant. Even if dear Paige is a bit of a dullard, the domestics with her get a bit tiresome.

Enjoyed Mad Dogs, hope I can get hold S3 and S4.

Loads of other good series mentioned but the trouble with TV series is the trackers dry up pretty quick once you get past a year old, esp if they are not US series. "Last Tango in Halifax' for example, hard to get now.

I disagree about the The Brink, I look forward to this one every week, very offbeat comedy I can understand why some people would not like it.

The Killing - watch the original Danish series. It's brilliant.

Thanks. Will dig it out. Presume it's sub-titled, not dubbed?

Yes, sub-titled. Season 1 was fantastic. Still haven't watched season 2 yet, even though I've downloaded it.

Season 1 is about one murder over 20 episodes.

The Danish series is called Forbrydelsen (The Crime).

I've watched loads recently, mostly from Netflix:

Daredevil - Try and forget about the horrible trainwreck that was the Ben Affleck film. This series is brilliant. The acting is top-notch and it's mostly character-driven. The villain, played by Vincent D'onofrio, is especially good.

Sense8 - A very good series from the Wachowskis. All of the actors are in top form, except for perhaps the trans-gender actress, who is a bit <deleted>. The premise is a bit confusing at first but then it gets really good.

Bloodline - A series about a family who owns a hotel resort in the Florida Keys. The black sheep of the family comes back for his parent's anniversary. Drama ensues. Pretty good and very well-acted.

try Humans, absolutley brilliant, made in UK but with high production values of a top US TV show. very interesting sify story about how andriods and humans might interact in the future, and best off all, stars the new love of my life, Gemma Chan, wow, what an incredible hottie. i now have a reason to live long enough until they invent a Gemma Chan love bot

• 3 weeks later...

Lucifer pilot

Minority report pilot

Blindspot pilot

Lucifer. .. I liked it despite the corniness. Can't wait for the series. Feels a bit Constantine (series) meets Chancer (old British series with Clive Owen)

Minority report a bit tepid in regards to characters but good future tech. Doesn't stand up to the quality of the movie but enough to be getting on with and I'd watch a series

Blindspot not watched yet

try Humans, absolutley brilliant, made in UK but with high production values of a top US TV show. very interesting sify story about how andriods and humans might interact in the future, and best off all, stars the new love of my life, Gemma Chan, wow, what an incredible hottie. i now have a reason to live long enough until they invent a Gemma Chan love bot

Did not like it at all.

Lucifer pilot

Minority report pilot

Blindspot pilot

Lucifer. .. I liked it despite the corniness. Can't wait for the series. Feels a bit Constantine (series) meets Chancer (old British series with Clive Owen)

Minority report a bit tepid in regards to characters but good future tech. Doesn't stand up to the quality of the movie but enough to be getting on with and I'd watch a series

Blindspot not watched yet

Blindspot just see the pilot, not sure yet, downloading the oters now

The Last Ship: The crew of a naval destroyer is forced to confront the reality of a new existence when a pandemic kills off most of the earth's population.

I enjoyed The Last Ship. Thanks for the tip.

I see 'The Fall' and 'Broadchurch' will both be getting a season 3. The second season of The Fall was long and drawn out IMO, 3 hours crammed into 6, with a rubbish finale that did little except set-up for a season 3. Would be quite happy if the central characters got another run or two but hopefully with a different story, the Paul Spector, theme has been flogged to death. Broadchurch I thought was also better in Season 1. Again, a lacklustre finale.

The only thing I dislike about some TV series these days is where they see a need to drag it out to a season 2, 3 and even 4, 5 and beyond. For me, in terms of one season wonders, 'Band of Brothers' stands head and shoulders above everything else but 'The Honourable Woman', 'The Prisoner' and 'Wayward Pines' were also good. I'm talking about series that were PLANNED to be one season long here, not shows that got abandoned at the end of season 1 like 'Firefly' or 'The Good Guys'. Even with these though, the success of season 1 will sometimes see them dug-up again. I see now a Wayward Pines resurrection might be on the cards.

Unless the series is really gripping, OR where each season or even each episode is a self contained story (such as the excellent cop show 'The Sweeney) I tend to shy away from many these days because even if it's only so-so, even sticking with it for 6 -10 hours, merely because you invested the time and feel obliged to see it through, won't be enough as it won't conclude and you'll need to come back for season a dreaded 2. It's not SO bad when the series is REALLY REALLY good or where there is enough material to keep the series alive and fresh such as in 'The Americans' or 'Breaking Bad' (and for me 'The Walking Dead' doesn't fit this description with countless filler episodes in each season) or even when they manage to dig it out of a hole, such as with 'Homeland' (where season 4 was by far the best IMO, having less of the beyond belief storylines than when Brodie was around) but so many series are just not in the same league and just drag on and on and on and on. Gets to the point that it's nice to see a movie or a series that WILL conclude with Season 1 just so you can get to see the bleedin' conclusion!

I'm not sure the third seasons of Broadchurch or The Fall will have me reaching for the DL planner this time around.

Having seen a couple of random episodes on TV and quite liking the genre (modern, war) I've just lined up 'Generation Kill': A Rolling Stone reporter, embedded with The 1st Recon Marines chronicles his experiences during the first wave of the American-led assault on Baghdad in 2003.

Following good reports. also gonna try this 'Outlander': Follows the story of Claire Randall, a married combat nurse from 1945 who is mysteriously swept back in time to 1743, where she is immediately thrown into an unknown world.

Archived