Spotlight on foreign media coverage of Bangkok's crisis

Lite Beer

Spotlight on foreign media coverage of Bangkok's crisis
Kornchanok Raksaseri
The Sunday Nation

30222673-01_big.gif?1387666695990New York Times

BANGKOK: -- New York Times writer and BBC man criticised for recent reports

The flare-up in the political divide has seen foreign media outlets under attack again over their coverage of Thai politics.

The BBC's Jonathan Head has cross swords with Tony Cartalucci of the Alternative Thai News Network and NSNBC, which hit back with a point-by-point counter-attack. Cartalucci also criticised the work of Thomas Fuller of The New York Times.

ASTV Manager and Thai PBS's news editor Sermsuk Kasitipradit also criticised Fuller and his quoting of independent legal expert Verapat Pariyawong on the "war" between different classes in Thailand.

Verapat said he told Fuller his quote in the NYT article may have been too short and may cause Thais to misunderstand. However, Fuller reportedly said there may not be capacity to amend the quote in the NYT working process. But Fuller 'tweeted' to inform critics they had misinterpreted what Verapat had said.

Verapat attacked the intention and language limitations of his critics.

Fuller declined to talk to The Nation about the matter.

Social media users have shared articles and reports by foreign media outlets, claiming that some journalists showed bias in their selection of commentators such as street vendors or unnamed business people on one side and academics on the other.

President of the Foreign Correspondents' Club of Thailand Anasuya Sanyal said foreign correspondents who cover political situation in Thailand included those with full-time positions and freelancers who are based here, plus others who just fly in to report the situation. They may or may not come to the FCCT and ask other journalists for recommendation about news sources. As well as expertise on their topic of interest, they often just want people who can communicate clearly in English.

"Some people are quoted more frequently than other people. Part of that is the relationship. Sometimes people don't want to talk [refuse to give an interview]," she said, adding that the media also had to face deadlines. When some people do not pick up the phone, journalists sought comment from others.

The media needed to find analysts to analyse situations, and often only learnt a source's stance or views when interviewing them. And the pool of sources here was actually relatively small, she said.

'People on one side or the other'

"It would be great if we had a diversity of sources. But a problem here in Thailand right now is that we know people are extremely on one side or the other, even university professors who make up our analysts," she said.

"What people outside Thailand want is to understand of what's going on. They don't want some people who say specifically about one side or the other that they support," she said.

In regard to criticism that foreign journalists look at what is happening here and make judgements because of their background, Sanyal said, "We can't change who we are or where we come from. "I think part of the complication comes when... (pause) we just have one word for democracy and there's a very strict definition of democracy. And when it's not [appropriate to use that word], we won't call something democratic."

Sanyal, an American journalist who has worked in Bangkok for eight years, noted that there were differences among media outlets and said that readers or TV new audiences also realised these differences.

Mana Treelayapewat, a lecturer in journalism at the University of the Thai Chamber of Commerce, said Thais may have looked too highly and given too much credit to Western media outlets and may not have done their homework in assessing them properly.

Moreover, correspondents also had Western ideologies without trying to understand the roots of Thai society.

"Looking at democracy only as a representative system is too narrow and ignores [aspects of a] direct democratic system. That is like saying democracy only means elections," he said.

"If so, I'd like to compare with our neighbour Myanmar where Aung San Suu Kyi also boycotted the election. Why does the Western media look at that differently?" he said.

Last week, the former dean of Chulalongkorn University's Faculty of Political Science, Charas Suwanmala, raised concerns that comments by academics given to foreign media were often becoming targets of harsh criticism in social media.

He raised the case of his colleague Thitinan Pongsudhirak, director of the Institute of Security and International Studies, who had consulted him after an exaggerated interpretation of his comments.

Charas said it was possible that readers were inclined to selectively consume and judge media content. If it was not clear that a speaker was supporting their side, they might dismiss the speaker as supporting their rivals.

Charas called on all people to be broad-minded and accept different opinions.

"Academics should not be condemned as long as they honestly opine academically and independently," he said. "But if they are academics who have sold their souls, are being paid by some people to support one side, give comments without considering the facts or without caring for what is right or wrong, then they deserve to be condemned."

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2013-12-22

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Part of the lack of understanding about Vietnam during the early phases of that war in the US media was because many, if not most, foreign correspondents collected their stories from the safety and ease of a barstool in Saigon's Hotel Continental. I doubt if too much has changed for these Time, Newsweek, BBC, and NY Times types, except that they jet in and out of places like Bangkok even faster than their old contemporaries, who at least were stationed for years in the countries they covered 50 years ago.

Speaking of barstool reporting, during the 2010 protests, CNN's 'Man-in-Bangkok' was commenting on some footage that was shot. In the Background was Centralworld. He 'thought' that the building 'might be' Centralworld. I believe this 'reporter' rarely see's much of anything west of Nana!

• Like 2

Part of the lack of understanding about Vietnam during the early phases of that war in the US media was because many, if not most, foreign correspondents collected their stories from the safety and ease of a barstool in Saigon's Hotel Continental. I doubt if too much has changed for these Time, Newsweek, BBC, and NY Times types, except that they jet in and out of places like Bangkok even faster than their old contemporaries, who at least were stationed for years in the countries they covered 50 years ago.

No, the exposure of some of the greatest lies in the history of warfare came from the journalists who were at the front line and made a mockery of the complete BS coming from Henry Cabot Lodge, Macnamara, Westmoreland and their ilk. Many of those journalists did not survive the war.

From "some" journalists, notably people like David Halberstam, who blew the lid off the coverage of the war in the mid 60s. But most, certainly not all, bought the official story, hook, line, and sinker. I have a collection of CBS news war coverage where they report like parrots throughout most of the early part of the war.

• Like 1

No, the exposure of some of the greatest lies in the history of warfare came from the journalists who were at the front line and made a mockery of the complete BS coming from Henry Cabot Lodge, Macnamara, Westmoreland and their ilk. Many of those journalists did not survive the war.
From "some" journalists, notably people like David Halberstam, who blew the lid off the coverage of the war in the mid 60s. But most, certainly not all, bought the official story, hook, line, and sinker. I have a collection of CBS news war coverage where they report like parrots throughout most of the early part of the war.

Agree with that

Good to see Cartalucci getting some exposure. He is a rare bird in that he reports facts without allowing emotion to cloud his judgement, which combined with his long term familiarity with Thailand makes his articles well worth reading. All too often these international reporters, some clearly looking like disheveled junkies, seek short term relationships with workers in the "entertainment" industries, straight after arriving in country from other less hospitable places, and read way too much into the drunken pillow talk they hear.

We're talking about the same Tony Cartalucci right? This is conspiracy theorist Tony Cartalucci that writes for Alex Jones' Infowars? Does he report the 'facts' in the same way that Alex Jones does?

• Like 2

Good to see Cartalucci getting some exposure. He is a rare bird in that he reports facts without allowing emotion to cloud his judgement, which combined with his long term familiarity with Thailand makes his articles well worth reading. All too often these international reporters, some clearly looking like disheveled junkies, seek short term relationships with workers in the "entertainment" industries, straight after arriving in country from other less hospitable places, and read way too much into the drunken pillow talk they hear.

We're talking about the same Tony Cartalucci right? This is conspiracy theorist Tony Cartalucci that writes for Alex Jones' Infowars? Does he report the 'facts' in the same way that Alex Jones does?

Yes, the very same.Still it's interesting that he is getting much exposure on the Thai political crisis, and is widely quoted - even though a quick survey of his views (on non Thai matters) demonstrates he is nuts.He is for example a passionate Assad supporter and believes 9/11 was an inside job etc etc.I know nothing about his background but it is curiously akin to the mindset of some Indian/Pakistani commentators - where zany conspiracy theory is a way of life.

The trouble is the Democrat/Suthep people have a conflicted view of foreign press coverage.They hate to have their darker side scrutinised by outsiders and yet at the same time crave foreign approval.Unfortunately every serious foreign news source, academic, think tank, ambassador tends to identify the obvious - namely the deeply undemocratic nature of the anti government opposition.This means that their few foreign supporters are given great prominence, not only the laughable Cartalucci but also the equally absurd American, Michael Yon.Personally I find Michael Yon more absurd than Cartalucci, because at least the latter has some command of the material.Yon is just plain ignorant.Yet both have huge support across the social media from the actiivist urban middle class - and shamefully for educated men, Abhisit and Korn have taken up Michael Yon as a credible source.

Finally, since invoking oddities like Cartalucci/Yon etc is ultimately self defeating we will inevitably hear more on the lines that Thailand is utterly inexplicable to foreigners, follows unique rules unknown to other countries and that you have to be a Thai (in practice often descendants of Southern Chinese coolies) to appreciate "Thainess".

landdestroyer fruitloop Tony-Cartalucci-big.jpg

• Like 2

I'm sure the many foreign journalists who report the situation have been to the streets of Pattaya etc and have dipped their hand in the Thai "cookie" jar, so their credentials are as valid as all of ours to know what is really going on.

If anything they will be more impartial than the local news.

Part of the lack of understanding about Vietnam during the early phases of that war in the US media was because many, if not most, foreign correspondents collected their stories from the safety and ease of a barstool in Saigon's Hotel Continental

Actually Zydeco General Harkins repeated the lies he was told by Diem and ignored his own soldiers Field Reports, like the battle of Ap Bac. It took Kennedy and crew back in Washington 16 months to finally dig it out that fact..

As usual outsiders don't understand Thainess so if you don't completly support one side you must be supporting the other.

Obectivity isn't a strong trait here and we can see from the events of 2006 and especially 2010 on just how intransigent Thais can be so even a neutral type of report will be criticised as it doesn't show support.

Deserves a repost - Thank You NongKhai kid

Edited by LomSak27

Part of the lack of understanding about Vietnam during the early phases of that war in the US media was because many, if not most, foreign correspondents collected their stories from the safety and ease of a barstool in Saigon's Hotel Continental

Actually Zydeco General Harkins repeated the lies he was told by Diem and ignored his own soldiers Field Reports, like the battle of Ap Bac. It took Kennedy and crew back in Washington 16 months to finally dig it out that fact..

Too bad all policy in that war was a disaster from the get go, from the very moment we supported the French against Ho. Should have allied with Ho and declared war on the French. Then, the US would be where it is in the process of going today: with a unified Vietnamese ally opposed to expansionist China.

• Like 1

I hope the mods don't see this as off topic but sometimes reporting can be influenced or at least an attempt at by the reporters' own embassies.

I say this because about 17 years ago in Manila I met two German reporters working for a business related publication who were there to report on a conference of Pacific Rim nations. They had received a great orientation briefing at the German embassy which was soured by a request / warning not to write what they saw around Manila of a negative nature.

The diplomat who spoke said something along the lines of if they publish something negative etc. it was the embassy that had to pick up the pieces and take the flak from the Phillipine's Foreign Ministry.

I'm not saying that the BBC are influenced by the embassy here but diplomats do not like problems.

• Like 1

I hope the mods don't see this as off topic but sometimes reporting can be influenced or at least an attempt at by the reporters' own embassies.

I say this because about 17 years ago in Manila I met two German reporters working for a business related publication who were there to report on a conference of Pacific Rim nations. They had received a great orientation briefing at the German embassy which was soured by a request / warning not to write what they saw around Manila of a negative nature.

The diplomat who spoke said something along the lines of if they publish something negative etc. it was the embassy that had to pick up the pieces and take the flak from the Phillipine's Foreign Ministry.

I'm not saying that the BBC are influenced by the embassy here but diplomats do not like problems.

Should we all bring up stories about 20 or 30 years ago about Germans in the Philippines? And ...

Well i presume that if this is the case, Mr. Head etc would have been very much in the Government corner when the Red protests took place, but they were not.

So it seems to me that Tony Cartalucci must be doing something right since some of you are so desperate in your attempts to assassinate man's character without actually providing any facts to the contrary.

Why don't you simply pay more attention to his links, what he actually says based on his own sources and then try to take his argument apart by using your own sources and facts instead of posting incoherent rants against the man.

But it is his website and links that inform my opinion.I have provided examples of his crazed ideas.I know nothing about the man himself.

• Like 2

So it seems to me that Tony Cartalucci must be doing something right since some of you are so desperate in your attempts to assassinate man's character without actually providing any facts to the contrary.

Why don't you simply pay more attention to his links, what he actually says based on his own sources and then try to take his argument apart by using your own sources and facts instead of posting incoherent rants against the man.

What links? If they are on topic post them. And don't tell me to go off reading some nutcase. Cause I don't have time.

• Like 1

As well as expertise on their topic of interest, they often just want people who can communicate clearly in English.

From the OP.

This is the secret for the "combatants" who want their side of the fray reported in a way that will shine a kind light on their point of view.

Have suitable people available for interviewing by the foreign press. Not rocket science. No use complaining that your point of view is not being represented in the way you want if the people writing for the foreign press cannot get quotable copy.

• Like 1