2014 All Food Related.restaurants,recipes, Suggestions Etc...

Rooo

Eat Sense on the main beach road, South Chaweng (next to Banana Fan Resort)

Thai, beach side and a touch fancy.

Thank you for your posting.

I agree Eat Sense is very good. But, I think a bit too overpriced, when it comes to portions. If money is not an object, the food is very good, and the space is lovely. But, Sabeinglae near Hinta Hintai has better food, bigger portions, and is half the price. And is right on the beach too. Not as much atmosphere granted, but excellent.

Yet it is on Chaweng Beach, Sabeinglae (sp) is not.

Personally I find you need to head away from the beach to get good value Thai in Chaweng.

Edited by Absolut

• 3 weeks later...

No, no no. The best pizza on Samui, by far, is found at La Taverna, on soi green mango. Really outstanding. Eldorado in Lamai is also very good. But, not on the level of La Taverna. All the food there is great.

Spidermike

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect

• Like 1

Hi guys... On Samui for a couple of weeks... Any recommendation on a good italian pizza in Chaweng area...?? After 3 weeks in Isan I fancy a good italian pizza... Many thanks...

I would pay the italian restaurant called Duomo a visit.

Best pizza i had on Samui so far.

Not cheap but damn good pizza.

post-138525-0-65677400-1407125855_thumb.post-138525-0-76804400-1407125867_thumb.

It's on a side street on Chaweng beach road near starz Cabaret.

Duomo used to be good with the original owner and we were regular customers. I visited the last time a year or two ago, when the new owner moved in and what was served was a complete joke. Never been back again.

Best pizza's imho are at juzza pizza in Fishermans Village.

• Like 2

Tropicana on Lamai beach road is very good.

I hated their pizza. Very insubstantial, poor sauce, low quality cheese. Very unimpressive food. Duomo and La Taverna are both outstanding. Any entirely higher level of cuisine.

Spidermike

Fresh from Dao seafood market this morning. They deliver to restaurant all over the island. It's not local catch though.

The heads are broken, so they go at 50% price 350bt/kg.

attachicon.gif20140612_103204.jpg attachicon.gif20140612_103220.jpg

Does anyone know what percent of these large prawns are wild caught, opposed to farmed? I hear most are farmed, most of which is pretty toxic stuff. I heard the kind prawns are usually wild. Is this true? What about fish? Is the snapper farmed or wild? Thanks.

Spidermike

I am sure that you will get a few different answers to this one spider. Most of is probably rumour and urban legend.

My 2 cents' worth.

The majority of fish sold on Samui are from Burma.

Some 'red snapper' are not snapper at all, but a cheaper red fish. (The name alludes me, but they were for sale in Big C on Sunday.)

The majority of prawns are farmed.

I have no idea who told me these little gems - it was a local restaurant owner though.

Some smaller, more local restaurants, do sell fresh local fish etc. eg the small Thai resaurant close to my place (Country Bar) will go and catch one if you order it a day or two before. Same with the guy who runs the restaurant at Thongson Bay Bungalows. You get whatever is caught! Another one is Crystal on Choengmon beach - but not all of their fish are local.

• Like 1

Some 'red snapper' are not snapper at all, but a cheaper red fish. (The name alludes me, but they were for sale in Big C on Sunday.)

This is common all around the world, I wouldn't blame a single restaurant.

Naming of fish is a hugely controversial topic.

It's not the naming convention that is the problem in this case.

It is the fact that the restaurant customer is being charged for a (more expensive) red snapper, but receiving a more inferior, cheaper product in its place. (Less flesh per kilo and a different texture and taste.)

It's not the naming convention that is the problem in this case.

It is the fact that the restaurant customer is being charged for a (more expensive) red snapper, but receiving a more inferior, cheaper product in its place. (Less flesh per kilo and a different texture and taste.)

This also happens all over the world. Fish shops calling everything Cod/Snapper etc when most of what is sold is Pollock or Hake.

I've even been served fish n chips made from Tilapia. When they told me this, I told them it's supposed to be ocean fish.

Most of the black tiger prawns are farmed and they will tell you this when you ask them. Here in Thailand they don't lie about these things and if they say it's wild, ALL of it will be wild and they won't mix in farmed.

But those orange prawns are all wild. I don't think they farm these type of farm. At least all that I have ever bought were wild.

Edited by Mole

Is there any one making good quality pork sausages at a good price around 220 baht a Kilo on Samui , is it worth starting a Business over here doing this .

I can make upto 20 different types of sausages, with real pork skins not the synthetic type.

post-120688-0-77011300-1407937228_thumb.

I want to hear what you locals say.

Thanks

The only sausages that I buy at the moment are the pork Cumberland from Makro. Sorry, I cannot remember the price, but decent sausages. (They also do beef Cumberland.)

Other sausages that I have tried in my time here are pretty bland and I give them a miss. (Tesco, Big C etc.)

There used to be a company in Bophut that did some yummy sausages - called Lucky Sausage, but they have not been around for a few years. (Or if they are still here, I have not seen them.)

Is there a market for your product? Probably, but you should maybe target hotels and restaurants first. I am happy to give your bangers a go though. thumbsup.gif

• Like 1

Is there any one making good quality pork sausages at a good price around 220 baht a Kilo on Samui , is it worth starting a Business over here doing this .

I can make upto 20 different types of sausages, with real pork skins not the synthetic type.

attachicon.gifMy swags.jpg

I want to hear what you locals say.

Thanks

There is an English Lady that has just started a business in Lamai making them, mainly for wholesale, much nicer than the ones in Makro and a bit cheaper.

• Like 1

Having twice been caught out @ Svensens this month I thought i'd post a general warning:

1. Special offers: A couple of weeks ago I had one that contained around a third of the glass full of dry chocolate powder, masking the fact that the remainder was a little light in content. My wife observed similar with hers.

2. Menu-v-reality: During a later trip I ordered an off the peg sundae that clearly showed 2x normal <billiard ball> sized scoops in the menu, yet only had one <golfball> sized scoop when it arrived.

Twice bitten...

Edited by evadgib

Having twice been caught out @ Svensens this month I thought i'd post a general warning:

1. Special offers: A couple of weeks ago I had one that contained around a third of the glass full of dry chocolate powder, masking the fact that the remainder was a little light in content. My wife observed similar with hers.

2. Menu-v-reality: During a later trip I ordered an off the peg sundae that clearly showed 2x normal <billiard ball> sized scoops in the menu, yet only had one <golfball> sized scoop when it arrived.

Twice bitten...

I stopped going there when they started charging for water. Sometimes the little things do make a difference!

• Like 2

I seen many types of squash around, but not that one....(here) what's so special about spaghetti squash ? (Thai's tend to call them Pumpkins)

It's a pasta substitute for the paleo/anti-gluten pseudoscience movement who think actual pasta is poisonous. (No, I'm not making this up).

Similar to Cauliflower rice. I once has an indian lamb curry served with it. Quite tasty.

Mainly interested in Almond Milk but also Hazelnut milk or lactose free cow's milk.

Has anybody spotted any of these anywhere? If so please share the location in what store and where exactly in the store smile.png

I've already looked in Makro, Tesco and Tops Market in Central with no luck. I know I could also easily make my own Almond Milk but I haven't been able to find any large quantities of plain almonds either! (they are either salted, roasted or coated with something) and I would also need a cheese cloth for straining.

Thank you for any tips!

My wife has been enjoying making almond milk this month. Schmidt's bakery supply in Lamai has good quality almonds in bulk. You don't need a cheesecloth, most other sorts will do. Wifey is using some white polyester cloth and a sieve with a handle underneath.

Twice bitten...

I stopped going there when they started charging for water. Sometimes the little things do make a difference!

They started charging for water because people were complaining about quality of the water they were serving for free, so they just stopped serving it and start selling bottled water instead.

• 2 weeks later...

Really good and very reasonable fried chicken just beside Tesco Express in Hua Thanon.

They starts selling from around 4PM - 8PM. I heard somebody told me they're very popular and the queue is long, so I decided to check it out. I arrived around 4 and they were still frying the first batch and already people were waiting. I've been told they sell around 100kg of fried chicken daily.

The price is also very reasonable. I got quite a lot of chicken for my money.

Edited by Mole
  • Like 1