Convenient Feature On Garmin

Well dont know about the streetpilot but as the garmin maps are 12k alone for Thailand, I wonder how that price holds for as good a mapping solution.

Although it sounds expensive. Once you have used the Garmin devices with the City Navigator software its hard to "go back" Never being lost is great. Just following the voice commands home or taking a wrong turn off the route it gives you and letting find another route is quite fun!

I had taken my Nuvi 350 in 10 days ago to have the Thai maps loaded. I am leaving for the USA tomorrow, and they have not yet completed the job that was promised in 3 days. No the sturggle is just to retreive my Nuvi 350.

I paid 12000 baht for the map.....TIT....

I will file a police report for theft tonight if they fail to reutrn my unit....

I had taken my Nuvi 350 in 10 days ago to have the Thai maps loaded. I am leaving for the USA tomorrow, and they have not yet completed the job that was promised in 3 days. Now the sturggle is just to retreive my Nuvi 350.

I paid 12000 baht for the map.....TIT....

Wonderful what the internet will do. Got a call to pickup my completed unit tonight.....Would have been nice to have it while I was still in Thailand, but will use it in 7 weeks when I return.

Well dont know about the streetpilot but as the garmin maps are 12k alone for Thailand, I wonder how that price holds for as good a mapping solution.

Although it sounds expensive. Once you have used the Garmin devices with the City Navigator software its hard to "go back" Never being lost is great. Just following the voice commands home or taking a wrong turn off the route it gives you and letting find another route is quite fun!

I have a Nuvi 660 and while I think it is wonderful, I get a bit irritated by the voice commands. The English speaker's Thai pronounciation is miles worse than mine - which is saying something!

Can anyone enlighten me as to the arrangements for map and audio updating or for providing detail in areas where it is currently sparse? The road works on the 7 south of Chonburi, for example, should they ever be completed, will presumably necessitate some updating.

I was around Sai Yok recently and while the maps were good, the audio back-up was very inconsistent - sometimes overkill a one junction, for exampe, and then nothing at the next. And while there were details of shops, accommodation, and even leisure centres, I couldn't find major things like National Parks.

Presumably there is an ongoing programme for adding detail and also picking up the occasional error such as has been referred earlier? I have come across a few - luckily all at places where they didn't matter much but it would be nice to think that they will be rectified in due course.

It's like when you buy Microslush with a PC the price for the software is negligible. You're only hit with the full price when you buy it on it's own.

So you dont own the map licence good for any garmin then ??

if you change garmin device you cannot transfer you purchased maps ?? Kind of cruel licensing !!

If you buy the map with the device I am almost 100% sure the license is non-transferable. I'm not sure but you may even find that a purchased license get linked into a specific device in the same way MS is doing with (consumer) Windows versions.

Anyway, I just saw that Mio now have a full color PocketPC with GPS and maps for 11,900 baht all incl. including a 1 GB SDRAM card. The P350 comes with all the gear, including the car attachment thingy.

It's like when you buy Microslush with a PC the price for the software is negligible. You're only hit with the full price when you buy it on it's own.

So you dont own the map licence good for any garmin then ??

if you change garmin device you cannot transfer you purchased maps ?? Kind of cruel licensing !!

When you buy the device you get the licence for "Mapsorce" software. You also have the licence for the software that came with the device. Ie City select Europe. If you the require more software ie City Select Thailand it requires payment for the new software (circa 12000 Baht). So you are right Phil and LiviningLOS is right very cruel.

I have researched it and I will keep my Garmin for Europe and Purchase a new device in Thailand with City select for Thailand. It will also have the US version.It works out to be more cost effective. Moreover my particular very good Garmin Quest only uses internal memory. So it would mean reloading everything everytime I went from Europe to Thailand. Can buy a street pilot in LOS for about 11000 to 14000 baht. Much easier option. I guesss that the awkward licencing laws will have encouraged me to buy a new GPS product clever marketing ploy really! :o

Edited by maprao

So you have a garmin mapsource license.. and the Garmin unit dies.. Your out another 12k on a license tied to a dead machine !!!

Or you want to upgrade to a newer better machine.. Again you have to repurchase the mapsource data even if garmin can verify that the data is removed from the initial unit..

Thats a sucky license.. Dont even know how legal that is !!

So you have a garmin mapsource license.. and the Garmin unit dies.. Your out another 12k on a license tied to a dead machine !!!

Or you want to upgrade to a newer better machine.. Again you have to repurchase the mapsource data even if garmin can verify that the data is removed from the initial unit..

Thats a sucky license.. Dont even know how legal that is !!

Sorry LivinginLOS my wording might have been misleading. I still own the licence for the Mapsource and the Europe version. To get Thailand I need to to what they told me below. But when a new device retails for what I said before it is the easier option. Below is a quote from the people I will get it off:

We need you unit serial# and unit ID of your Garmin GPS in order to do the map for you.

The price for Thailand City Navigator map to be installed in the unit that purchased abroad is 12,000 baht. This price doesn't no include SD card and Mapsource for PC.

Lead-time is 4-7 days as we need to get the unlock code from Garmin.

For more info, please visit our web site http://www.gadgetrend.com/gps_mapthailandinst.php.

Please note:

1. UNIT ID is very important. Please check your user's manual how to display it on your unit screen. UNIT ID can be obtained only through GPS screen and PC connection in some case. Garmin will not print it anywhere.

2. If you provide us the incorrect UNIT ID and the map could not be used, we are not liable for that and we cannot give you the refund in any case.

However, Quest doesn't have external memory therefore you cannot put Thai map with other map at the same time. Also, the map that you have on the unit will be erased.

It is still worth it as if i get the new device for 11000 to 14000 Baht depending on which street pilot I select I will get the US maps with it. Just have to carry 2 devices.

Phil has a point about the Streepilot i2. Black/white screen. On sale for 10500 Baht. Map on it seems to be the Thailand City Select V6.7 - not sure whether that means that one is "lost" if not in the cities?

I can see the use of a smart phone with GPS as Phil found too. I am just not sure I want all the hassle of plugging in/out - extra wires/holder Etc. The smart phones have sofar also been too big for my taste - but have gotten smaller lately!

Cheers!

H All

Further to my earlier post on this thread, i feel i must share this with you all.

I have been using my Nuvi 300 for just over a week. Every time my wife travels with me she always thinks she knows a better route than the Nuvi. This is proving very confusing for me, not to mention a few close shaves.

Has anyone else got the same problem ie GPS and "back seat driver"

Which one would you get rid of :D

Bear in mind, the Nuvi is a lovely bit of kit !!!!!!!

I know it's a close call, but any advice would be gratefully recieved :o:D:D:D

Regards

Jaiyenyen

So does the ESRI maps speak Thai?

How much is the Garmin with ESRI maps loaded? How much are the ESRI maps alone?

Still trying to figure out if it's worth getting it in Europe and have the software updated in Thailand or just get the whole thing in Thailand.

Bought my 320 in february, it came with the Thai map loaded in Thai, on the CD however was Thailand City Select 6.7 both the English and the Thai version.

It was easy to switch, if you buy a bigger SD card you can have both maps in the 320 and switch between them.

I bought it here http://www.gadgetrend.com/ and found them very helpful. Joop

Yes, the girl in Gadgetrend is very nice and helpful. They are in Thonglor and have lots of GPS gadgets on display.

My Garmin got run over by a truck when I dropped it (turning it into possibly the world's thinnest GPS unit) and she helped me sort out the replacement of a new unit and re-loaded the maps for me.

I have the 60CSx that I got primarily for making a map of our land etc, but the Find feature for ATMs etc in Bangkok works very well. I think I paid about 28,000 for it.

I am really surprised about the post here. Looks like most of you really like this Garmin Navigator. Hard to understand for me. You see, I have this huge Volvo XC90 (don't ask), which has a built in Garmin Navigation system, and .. I am at war with it.

Maybe some background info: My previous experience with car navigation is based on the systems built in the AUDI and the Mercedes, etc. : Easy to use, fast, reliable and I can update it myself.

Now this Garmin piece of s... in my Volvo (yeah, I know) doesn't have a clue where it is, how to get me to my destination and its user interface is ... well ... if in a dictionary you would look up the opposite of "user friendly", I guess you would find this navigation system.

-I have to use a remote control, which inevitably is always somewhere in the backseat, because it controls also the DVD player for the kids

-The keys on the remote are so small, I need a magnifying glass (OK I am 58)

-When son No. 1 accidentally pushed the wrong key, because he wants to replay a scene, he interferes with my navigation and all of a sudden, the family has to go to Nakon Si Tammarat.

- But I cannot change my dashboard display to see the movie; Volvo does not allow this, unless I stop the car and apply the handbrake. Now you understand my frequent stops on my way to Trat, it's my son who wants to change the movie and the DVD in the changer.

- The digital maps are dated "2005" and for an update I have to go to the Volvo dealer. Unfortunately the only guy capable of updating the system in English is in (permanent) leave. So I still have no clue there is a fly-over bridge at Ramkhamhaeng and Serithai.

- But it gets really hilarious when the girl in my navigation system urges me to make a U-turn on the long Thang Duan Boromrach Shonnavee on the way to Nakon Phatom, and then after to turn left and then turn right. "Volvo for life" says a sticker on the car; now I know why.

- Last week, the system insisted on navigating me to a secret destination and would not let me stop the trip. No way! The technician at Volvo explained that this happens because I did not use the navigation for over a month. I apologized to it, but now I am scared to death to use the system, but alsoscared NOT to use it.

If you have garmin thats 2005 maps in a rapidly developing field I am not surprised its not up to date quality..

I know I had an all alpine system back in the west, that in head unit fold out screen jobbie.. The evolution of the device operation through a couple of years was amazing, not just the maps but the operating system of the unit.. Totally different beast after a couple of years to work on updates.

I have the Garmin Street Pilot 2610. I have had it now for 3 years. I bought it from ESRI. I have the 10th one ever sold here in Thailand. I have learned many things about it.

Garmin has licensed ESRI to produce a 3rd party copy of Thai maps for use in Thailand. ESRI just now sent me my 3rd map upgrade Thailand City V 7.0

To install it you must copy map from the CD to a card reader.

ESRI will send you a CD free of charge if you bought from them. I ordered from their website.

I have had to use an exterior antenna because the GPS signal won’t penetrate my tinted film on the windshield as there is a small amount of metal in the film,

I have lately had to recalibrate the touch screen more often I am not sure what is causing the problem.

I have found that the auto route will not always route you the fastest way. I have on occasion taken the “scenic” route through small soi and dirt roads in upcountry villages.

I just got back from a driving trip to Danang Viet Nam via Laos. I had to reload the software with a map set from Garmin World Map as there are no others.

Has anyone figured out how to get your ESRI map up on your computer screen so you can pre plan a route, I would really want to do this???

Jim

[email protected]

• 2 months later...

Hi all,

I've got a nuvi 200 bought in Europe. I understand that to unlock it and to upload the Thailand map it would cost about 14000 THB ???

That's 290 Euros ++..... i bought it brand new at 199 Euro.... is Gadget trend in soi 55 the only solution ? Thanks