Thai government considers state of emergency after weekend violence

webfact

It will be ignored pretty much, just like last time. The only thing it will do is allow the Govt the option of using more serious measures against protestors should they choose to do so.

as an example………….. actually arresting the leader of the demonstrators who already has an arrest warrant hanging over himw00t.gif

Are you sure he has an arrest warrant out for him and not just a summons?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

IMO, just enforce the power within ISA. Arrest Suthep, protest leaders and those who violated ISA. You don't wait for an arrest warrant when you see a rapist rapping a girl or a bank robber robbing a bank. You make effort to arrest them where they are on the spot. Thailand has been terrorized by these terrorists issuing threats everyday.

Prachathipat party should also be dissolved. They had lost their legitimacy as a political party. They can continue to be a street protest political group if they want.

• Like 1

Isn't the other emergency decree in effect still? The one that was in effect for only certain parts of Bangkok? I'm not sure what the measures were in the first place, as I go in and out of some of the areas every day and nothing ever seemed any different.

No other "emergency decree" in use at the moment, I think you're referring to the Internal Security Act (ISA) which has been invoked across the entire BMA as well as areas in Nonthaburi and Samut Prakhan provinces.

The ISA (for what it's worth) was drafted into law during the previous incarnation of PTP.

It draws on the basics of an Emergency Decree, without involving the military.

Interestingly though, the State of Emergency Act B.E. 2548 (SOE) (2005) was also entered into during the first Shinawatra family members turn at playing PM...

It will be ignored pretty much, just like last time. The only thing it will do is allow the Govt the option of using more serious measures against protestors should they choose to do so.

as an example………….. actually arresting the leader of the demonstrators who already has an arrest warrant hanging over himw00t.gif

Are you sure he has an arrest warrant out for him and not just a summons?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Just a summons as far as I remember last reading, along with most of the other protest leaders.

Another head hangs lowly,

Child is slowly taken.

And the violence caused such silence.

Who are we mistaken?

But you see, it's not me, it's not my family.

In your head, in your head they are fighting,

With their tanks and their bombs,

And their bombs and their guns.

In your head, in your head, they are crying...

In your head, in your head,

Zombie, zombie, zombie,

Let me guess.... a Carabao song biggrin.png

The Thaksin clan are coming to see that they are being outflanked by the people, Thaksin and his clan don't like that. Thaksin and his clan are used to all and sundry bowing to their demands.

Now the people are voicing and indeed showing their opinions regarding the Thaksin clan, hence the urgent need for a declaration of a State of Emergency or perhaps the imposing of martial law courtesy of the female lead puppet in the Thaksin P.T.P. puppet show.

If such a state of emergency was declared, or is to be declared one is led to wonder whether it might well cause the P.R.D.C.protests to actually intensify as opposed to calming matters down.

There is distrust of the Thaksin P.T.P. puppet and its moves to possibly impose a state of emergency. Distrust breeds anger, anger breeds protest and protests often breed violence, that violence factor is already plain to see wherever it may be coming from.

Thailand is teetering on the brink of serious civil disorder in many ways, any move by the Thaksin puppets will I fear lead us all into a very nasty period of violence where the only victims will be the people of Thailand. Thaksin and his clan will be safely away with no doubt their ill gotten gains.

Whatever ruling body may emerge from the chaos to bring stability and peace back to Thailand it will be facing a mammoth uphill task to restore peace and unity twixt the Thai people.

The very idea of the taking of a big stick to the current problems will indeed provoke more violence and more hatred. Perhaps the best method would be to inform the Thaksin clan and their cronies that the best road to a stable country would be for them to leave.

That was the game play regarding Chatchai Choonhaven on February 23, 1991 when he was told that by leaving for America he was indeed a wise man making a wise, a relatively peaceful deposing of a somewhat corrupt administration which has indeed been left in the shade by the Thaksin levels of corruption.

Softly softly catchee monkey.

Congratulations !! You managed to mention Thaksin 10 times in one post. Must be a new TV record. Give the man a cigar.

• Like 2

Sounds like the government is getting desperate to the end the protests in before the elections they hope will re-endorse their rule.

They have a CAPO just like the Abhisit govt did to enforce the ISA. So they will have to have a CRES to enforce the Emergency Decree. Being head of CRES would be a poison chalice leading to murder charges, if anyone gets killed, as in Suthep's case and requiring a new amnesty bill. The red shirts ignored the Emergency Act in 2010 and I expect these protestors would too. The Muslim insurgents in the South have ignored it for years, since Thaksin imposed it there.

I hope the government are told that they cannot declare a state of emergency because of attacks by unknown people and they should increase a visible police presence to protect the people. I think the government would misuse the powers (based on past experience) if they were given them

They tried a "visible police presence" before remember?

This only inflamed the yellow shirts and they attacked the police causing some very serious injuries!

About time the Government stood up to these lunatic thugs!

There is a very simple answer to all of this and that is to round up all the protest leaders involved and charge them even if it causing a disturbance refuse them bail and set a court date after the elections it is that easy it just needs somebody with some B - - - S to have the courage to do it . Suthep is losing the support and those attending are only there fro the handouts of food and free entertainment as we all know Thais love to party especially when some numbskull is footing the bill .

Do a little further research.

• Like 1

I don't think you need to go from one extreme (do nothing) to another (state of emergency). How about just getting a few police off their <deleted> and have them act like police for a little while. Call them heros and give them bonuses, who cares as long as they help keep the peace.

Police, Army are supposed to be controlled by the gov of the day. We all know that sitting on ones ass is the norm here BUT the gov SHOULD control, BUT, as I said before, nobody knows what they are doing here, full stop. coffee1.gif

• Like 2

Thailand is "always" in a state of emergency......

How about a declaration of a state of normalcy...I understand what you are trying to say but wouldn't a "state of normalcy" in Thailand be a contradiction in terms?

i thought i suported suthep but the more i read about his own personal gains from corruption history

the more i relaise he isnt actually any better than any thaksin he might be replacing

he and a few others scammed billions from a palm oil shortage when he was in charge of that in

2011 and he gave land to his rich friends when it was supposed to go to the poor so looks at his track record ?? <deleted> ..

someone like him should really be hiding in the shadows whenever corruptution is mentioned

In another topic I pointed out that claims that Thaksin and company bought votes and stole elections are not credible without evidence. I'll point out the same thing here, unless you provide some evidence or sources for this claim it means very little.

It should be patently obvious that the repeated attacks on the anti-government protestors are being orchestrated (a) in the hope of reducing the number of demonstrators and (cool.png if that fails, as an excuse for declaring a state of emergency and dispersing the demonstrators.

In case you missed it, the number of protestors decreased prior to the grenade attacks.

Actually the 2010 state of emergency and its evening curfew was enforced in Chiang Mai, and made for a very dull time. That was a yellowshirt government punishing a redshirt stronghold. It would be interesting to see this redshirt government impose a curfew in the yellowshirt areas of the south. Imagine all the bars closing and everyone off the streets after 6 p.m. in Phuket. cheesy.gif

He'll be off the streets soon under the old Thai By law No 1 Subsection A - "No Money, No Honey"

Most of the speech tonight was about marching down streets in Bangkok they had not been before....... and doing what?

Gaining more support????? So the people in that area after 83 days don't know what is going on and are there to be persuaded?? Hmmm

Nope... He is skint and he'll be out again with the money bags!! Least the idiots who support him are paying for it all this time and unless there is a very serious change of heart on the part of the Army to put him back in power, this is the way it will stay. Won't be getting it back off theitax payer this time round.

Numbers today abysmal and kept up on silom and Asoke by night markets. I live on Silom and there are more people there on just a normal day than there were today.

So rather than bringing people out on to the streets, he is driving more off them...

Edited by pipkins

It should be patently obvious that the repeated attacks on the anti-government protestors are being orchestrated (a) in the hope of reducing the number of demonstrators and (xcool.png.pagespeed.ic.jz1nB6CMOI.png if that fails, as an excuse for declaring a state of emergency and dispersing the demonstrators.

In case you missed it, the number of protestors decreased prior to the grenade attacks.

Does your comment take into account that the number of demonstrators goes up and down continuously, for example higher at week-ends, lower of week days, etc?

He'll be off the streets soon under the old Thai By law No 1 Subsection A - "No Money, No Honey"

Most of the speech tonight was about marching down streets in Bangkok they had not been before....... and doing what?

Gaining more support????? So the people in that area after 83 days don't know what is going on and are there to be persuaded?? Hmmm

Nope... He is skint and he'll be out again with the money bags!! Least the idiots who support him are paying for it all this time and unless there is a very serious change of heart on the part of the Army to put him back in power, this is the way it will stay. Won't be getting it back off theitax payer this time round.

Numbers today abysmal and kept up on silom and Asoke by night markets. I live on Silom and there are more people there on just a normal day than there were today.

who said he was skint ? hes actually a billionaire from one of the wealthiest famalies in the south of thailand

there are 67 palm oil factorys in thailand and 10 powerful southern famalies own them all along with a shitload of

rubber tree farms

guess who ?

hes also accusing of scamming billions in the 2011-12 palm oil shortage which he more or less created and then doubled the prices

of his own oil until there was no option but to import it

then he insisted on crude palm oil be imported rather than refined so his refinerys could benefit again and double <deleted> the taxpayer

also land he was supposed to give to impoverished farmers ended up going to his wealthy friends when he was in charge of that

so i think money is not much of a pressing issue vs the power he hopes to get control off

" We're prepared to use the emergency decree... Everyone involved including the police, the military and the government is considering this option very seriously but has not yet come to an agreement," National Security Council chief Paradorn Pattantabutr told Reuters after a meeting with Yingluck. "

The correct reading of this quote is ...

That was very well written and apparently from a point of view and with a depth of knowledge I don't recall seeing before. Thanks for posting.

... is what every comment from #19, forward should probably have just written while they were thinking about what they just read. heh

Great post. Thanks.

A typical however rather manipulative headline. This Government has been considering this since day one so their is no change there. Yingluck is fearful of taking this action as she has no way of knowing or controlling the outcome unless she feels that she has the full support of the military which even after appointing her self as Defense Minister, she certainly has not.. Regardless of what side you are on there can be little doubt that this government and it's cosmetic leader have found themselves holding a double edged blade. Protester's open support has dwindled however so has the partisan type support for the PTP.. The government have, by virtue of their own actions and reticence, arrived at a position of zero credibility and little trust..

It should be patently obvious that the repeated attacks on the anti-government protestors are being orchestrated (a) in the hope of reducing the number of demonstrators and (cool.png if that fails, as an excuse for declaring a state of emergency and dispersing the demonstrators.

Rubbish!