Expired work permit

Hi, I have a border bounce coming up for my non B visa, but I no longer work for the company so my work permit is no longer valid. Do I need to show a work permit at the border to get my 3 month extension? or should I be able to just get the stamp with no bother. I have assumed (maybe stupidly) that they will not need to see the work permit at the border and will not check it's validity and I will get another 3 month period.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

whistling.gif Your Work Permit is of no concern to immigration at the border.

It is whether or not your visa is still valid and not expired that they will be checking.

If your visa is still valid, then you will get in.

Now, if your visa was expired and also you had an extension based on employment with no Work Permit or if in that case your Work Permit (an therefore you employment extension were also invalid) ..... then immigration would stop you at the border.

But as long as your visa is still valid, they won't stop you.

Presuming you have a Multiple Entry Non Immigrant 'B' Visa; then you will get a new 90 day entry providing you enter Thailand before the 'Enter Before' date on your visa, you will never be asked to show a Work Permit making a border entry.

It is not an extension.

This is not 100% true. I have on 2 occasions been asked to see my wp on a 90-day border run with a multple entry Non-imm B visa. Yes, this is rare and in the 7 years I have had the WP I have only been asked twice, but it can happen.

I have been told that they are now being more strict, as many people are getting a WP to get this visa and then handing the WP back in to avoid paying taxes and be able to stay in the country for 15 months.

There have been other reports of this happening at borders and even a recent one at an airport. But none of anybody being denied entry because they didn't have one.

My response would be that I don't have it with me because I don't have to carry it with me everywhere I go.

There is no requirement to even have a work permit for a B visa if obtained for business purposes.

Presuming you have a Multiple Entry Non Immigrant 'B' Visa; then you will get a new 90 day entry providing you enter Thailand before the 'Enter Before' date on your visa, you will never be asked to show a Work Permit making a border entry.

It is not an extension.

This is not 100% true. I have on 2 occasions been asked to see my wp on a 90-day border run with a multple entry Non-imm B visa. Yes, this is rare and in the 7 years I have had the WP I have only been asked twice, but it can happen.

I have been told that they are now being more strict, as many people are getting a WP to get this visa and then handing the WP back in to avoid paying taxes and be able to stay in the country for 15 months.

Do you have a Multiple Entry Non Immigrant 'B' Visa obtained outside of Thailand or do you have an Extension of Permission to Stay based on working in the Kingdom of Thailand obtained at your local Thai Immigration Dept?

There have been numerous reports of people with Extensions of Permission to Stay having Work Permits checked at land borders (particularly teachers).

This is because Immigration know that an Extension based on work must be cancelled before exiting Thailand, if the Work Permit is no longer valid.

Edited by digitalchromakey
  • Like 1

Yes I do have a multiple entry non-immigrant B visa obtained from outside of the country. Was asked twice and been told both times that had I not had it on me they may have cancelled my visa.

I always have it on my when I do border runs just in case.

Yes I do have a multiple entry non-immigrant B visa obtained from outside of the country. Was asked twice and been told both times that had I not had it on me they may have cancelled my visa.

I always have it on my when I do border runs just in case.

Thanks that is most Interesting - for the record could you let the forum know as to which border post(s) requested your WP against a valid non 'B' Visa for entry and approx when that was?