Back To

mugopp

I was diagnosed as having Herpes 3 years ago. Always had the red spots using Zovirax (1000+ baht). Two months ago I ran out of Zovirax. I had a tube of Diprosone (89 baht) sitting there so tryed that.

The first day half the red spots went away, the second day they completly disappeared. Haven't had any red spots since & no signs of ever having Herpes. Wrong diagnosis, will come later?

Any help would be appreciated. Thks :o

I was diagnosed as having Herpes 3 years ago. Always had the red spots using Zovirax (1000+ baht). Two months ago I ran out of Zovirax. I had a tube of Diprosone (89 baht) sitting there so tryed that.

The first day half the red spots went away, the second day they completly disappeared. Haven't had any red spots since & no signs of ever having Herpes. Wrong diagnosis, will come later?

Any help would be appreciated. Thks :o

This medicine contains the active ingredient betamethasone dipropionate, which is a type of medicine called a corticosteroid. Corticosteroids are medicines used for reducing inflammation. Inflammation of the skin happens due to the irritation of the skin, and is caused by the release of various substances that are important in the immune system. These substances cause blood vessels to widen, resulting in the irritated area becoming red, swollen, itchy and painful. When betamethasone is applied to the skin it works by acting inside the skin cells to decrease the release of these inflammatory substances. This reduces swelling, redness and itch. Betamethasone is a potent corticosteroid that is applied to the skin to treat a wide variety of inflammatory skin diseases, such as eczema. This medicine contains betamethasone formulated as a scalp application, which is thinner and easier to apply to the scalp than the betamethasone ointments and creams used on the rest of the body. It is used to treat inflammatory disorders of the scalp, such as psoriasis and seborrhoeic dermatitis. The funny thing is, is that it specifically states how it should not be used for treatment of herpes! I do know that it can be prescribed for treatment of psoriasis, but caution should be exercised. This is because although corticosteroids may be useful for psoriasis in the short-term, it can sometimes make psoriasis worse, and may cause the condition to relapse into generalized pustular psoriasis after the treatment is stopped. This may also apply to treatment of Herpes, so best bet is to consult with a doctor and stick with the medication prescribed.

As you already know, there is no cure for herpes and only medication available to suppress out-breaks. Out-breaks can be triggered from high stress, illness, and so on and so forth. It is quite possible that the betamethasone caused the red area to become less noticeable or completely suppress (less inflamed and red). However, the area my still be contagious even though the outbreak in not visible! As always wrap it up and discuss it with your partner. I would be interested to know if you find out more information or if a doctor could tell you something more about using Diprosone for treatment.

[Thank You for for your roport Repoulin

I went to the doctor today & he said if Diprosone worked on Herpes that it was not Herpes. :o TITquote name='mugopp' date='2006-05-23 11:42:08' post='755120]

Any help would be appreciated. Thks :D

That's has got be a big relief! The doctor that you saw three years ago was a Thai doctor?

I have known doctors here to wrongly diagnose many things. One guy had a Knee Replacement Surgery and then later started experiencing swelling. I thought it was something serious and he went back to the doctor for another look. Again, the doctor said it was to be expected and we left an hour later.

I was researching it and found negative side effects that were rare, so we didn't think it was anything too serious as well. Finally, with constant pain and swelling we sought a second opinion through the recommendation of an American Doctor and it turned out to be Deep Vein Thrombosis. If you don't know what that is don't worry, the sound of it should be enough to figure out that it is not good. In fact it can kill you!

I think that your case demonstrates the importance or receiving a second opinion is always a good idea. Things like this happens all over the world, but unfortunately higher medical bills back home doesn't always afford us the opportunity to seek multiple medical opinions. One other advice is check out http://www.webmd.com/. I totally recommend this site! It’s free and you can do some research and have your notes and questions in order before you see the doctor.

• 1 month later...

I just had an out break of some type of skin rash. I went to my doctor and he took a culture to run some tests. He said it could be Chicken Pox but maybe that is wishful thinking. He gave me Valtrex which is for Herpes. I was in Thailand months ago and did a little fooling around but never went bare back and I've been good that way for years now. This really sucks if it turns out I have this STD.

A question for those of you with the virus; do you have to use medication on a daily basis. Also, how has it effected your relationships and sex life.

• 2 weeks later...